PDA

View Full Version : A new Action Figure Archive Please!

icatch9
03-18-2002, 01:24 PM
I donít know if everyone knows this or not, but the Action Figure Archive by Steven Sansweet with Josh Ling (A very terrific book!) is on clearance for $3.99 at Waldenís Book Stores all over the country. I was glad to get another copy because the one I have had for a while has gotten a bit beaten up. Anyway, I just wondered why this is happening? I donít know much about books or publishing or why things even go on sale. My father thought that perhaps it is because they are coming out with another volume. This is of course speculation, but does anyone have any facts on this? There is obviously a market for such a thing (just look at all the people on Sir Steveís guide). Plus, the book stopped with the wave that hit is 1998 (Biggs, Ugnaughts, ect.) There has been a ton of stuff since then. So what does everyone think?

Thanks for posting.

Lord Tenebrous
03-18-2002, 02:16 PM
Bargain Books at Waldenbooks are just overstock that they couldn't sell the first time, damaged stock, or cheaply acquired books. They're not an indication of upcoming releases.

Last summer, they had the Art of TPM for $5.99 and TPM Visual Dictionary, TPM hardcover, and Rogue Planet hardcover for $4.99. Pretty cool.

fourtwo
03-18-2002, 02:22 PM
3.99?
sheeeeet.
its still like 50 bucks here.
i'd love to get acopy of that book, its fun to look through.

Beast
03-18-2002, 02:26 PM
I need to pick this book up myself, and now is a good time at such a sweet price. As for a second volume, someone posted over in Rebelscum's forum that Sansweet said there is plans for a new version of the book, but not until sometime after 2005 since there will be so many new figures coming out the book would become outdated quickly again.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mylow thehutt
03-18-2002, 03:20 PM
:) I know what you mean,it's $3.00 bucks over here too.i was surprised.also i haven't seen this book since i bought one,and now. i love this book they should make another one.;)

Rollo Tomassi
03-18-2002, 10:17 PM
I've been clamoring for a second Edition with Episode I and POTJ stuff for years!

2-1B
03-19-2002, 12:40 AM
Hopefully a new edition would include more production stills and cut scenes. Those are great ! :)

Jayspawn
03-19-2002, 10:23 AM
Better pickl one up soon JarJar. My stores are nearly sold out of them. Yes, a new Archive Book would be great. It could be a supplement or something.

stillakid
03-19-2002, 10:49 AM
I was wondering this very question the other day myself. The best part is seeing the figures complete with the weapons and accessories.

A new volume for each new line (vintage, POTF, POTJ, Ep I, etc.) would be awesome. If Steve (Sansweet) were to "write" it as each line progressed, the book could theoretically be published within a couple months after the newer line was begun.

The online sources (like SirSteve's Guide :) ) are great as an up-to-date resource, don't get me wrong, but they can be difficult to use as you have to navigate through several different menus to see just one image of a figure.

The books are great because you can see all the information and several photos all at once. Plus the book is portable, so I can take it to my collection and flip through the pages, instead of dragging figures to the computer and clicking through endless menus.

I haven't seen the much awaited Price Guide, here at SirSteve's, but one option that I have with traditional paper and pencil is to mark off all my figures at one time. With online checklists, you get to check one thing off, then wait for it to update until you get to make another choice. Kind of a pain if you have a lot to keep track of all at once. Sansweet's guide is a great after-the-fact resource for keeping track of it all.

Rollo Tomassi
03-22-2002, 07:13 AM
Did I ever tell you that I used to think SirSteve and Sansweet were the same guy and I started a thread asking SirSteve when he was going to write another Archive? Nobody gets BSLOS because I have repeatedly apologized since then.

Jayspawn
09-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Sansweet recently said in an interview over at GalacticHunter that he'd like to do a follow-up, but his publisher Chronicle Books is in charge of it and he has 2 books already coming out this year.

Caesar is right about the deleted scene and production photos. Thats one of the best parts.

I've been completing some Vintage figures and this book as been beyond helpful. I picked one up when I worked for the Fan Club back in the days.

Rogue II
09-14-2005, 11:24 AM
I saw that interview as well. Has anyone started a movement yet to beg Chronicle Books to let Sansweet do the book yet? If not, we should start one here and some of the other collector's websites. One would think that getting this book made should be easier than trying to get Hasbro to make a new R5-D4.

SirSteve
10-12-2005, 05:55 PM
Did I ever tell you that I used to think SirSteve and Sansweet were the same guy and I started a thread asking SirSteve when he was going to write another Archive? Nobody gets BSLOS because I have repeatedly apologized since then.

I get that all the time... why? I really don't know... we just have the same first name.

ryanvader
10-12-2005, 08:52 PM
I too thought they were the same person:yes: