PDA

View Full Version : Why the cheap old styled decals... ?

Darth Ovori
03-18-2002, 01:43 PM
My friend decided to go broke and brought the Starfighter, hmm looks nice, quality of plastic is great but why after 25 years thier still using decals for detail... It makes the whole damn ship look so retro and cheap...

I don't care, I want detailed nobs and buttons in the cockpit, sculpted, not some cheap paper apply decal!!!

Dammit man, the opened panels look terrible with those decals...

Yes I hate decals used to replace 3-d detail!!! It's the year 2002 we have the technology to put some extra 3-d detail!!!

I'm so off the starfighter that I think I won't be ordering it anymore...

JEDIpartner
03-18-2002, 02:07 PM
I like the decals... they are more detailed than the ones from years ago. Again... you are dealing with the differences in model kits and toys. This is a toy. Toys, as I remember, tend to go through a little more rough activity. Kids never gently place the figure inside of it. It gets jammed in. Same thing when the figure is removed... It's torn out. The ship is also going to be dropped several times and the little pieces will probably break off. Secondly... why spend the time and money detailing the inside of the ship? My canopies usually stay shut to keep the dust out of them. I'm prefectly happy with the Starfighter I received today. It's durable and well detailed for the most part.

JetsAndHeels
03-18-2002, 02:12 PM
You two are making me jealous. I want my Starfighter!!
I looked for it all weekend and didnt find squat!!
(looks up to the sky)
Why?? Why??
:cry:

corporal AMF
03-18-2002, 02:43 PM
Just wait guys , for 2 or 3 months, and you'll be buying the starfighter and Slave I for lees than 15 bucks.....I'll still regret buying the Naboo fighter when it came out....!:frus:

Darth Ovori
03-18-2002, 03:33 PM
I don't expect multiple of tiny little extra piece's but some risen detail for that little extra realm of depth will make alot of collectors happy...

JEDIpartner
03-19-2002, 08:21 AM
Again... this is still meant to be a toy and is SUPPOSED to be a little more durable and up to the abuse those 3-10 year olds will inflict upon it. For what it's worth... I really didn't have a problem with them when I got the thing home and applied them. Sure... it was a royal pain to do, but they looked just fine. Just remember... you are talking about Hasblah. You are asking them to do more, and if they did... the overall effect would be ruined. They have a way of doing that, you know.

pthfnder89
03-19-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
I like the decals... they are more detailed than the ones from years ago. Again... you are dealing with the differences in model kits and toys. This is a toy. Toys, as I remember, tend to go through a little more rough activity. Kids never gently place the figure inside of it. It gets jammed in. Same thing when the figure is removed... It's torn out. The ship is also going to be dropped several times and the little pieces will probably break off. Secondly... why spend the time and money detailing the inside of the ship? My canopies usually stay shut to keep the dust out of them. I'm prefectly happy with the Starfighter I received today. It's durable and well detailed for the most part.

I have to agree. They do a pretty good job with most of the decals these days, even dating back to the POTF Falcon. (I think I spent about an entire DAY applying those suckers!;))

3D details are always nice, but they seem to strike a pretty good balance between sculpting details, painting, and using decals. Plus, they remind me of all the time I spent as a kid, opening toys and applying the little things oh-so-carefully :D *sigh* good memories...

mabudonicus
03-19-2002, 11:59 AM
If they just made the details out of some kind of less fragile material(like, say, the lousy rubber they make everything else out of), detail could be added that would give the extra depth without increasing the risk of breakage. I know you're right, Jedipartner, but being a crazy model builder myself, I can't help but view decals as cheap- sort of 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other, as it does harken back to the originals, so you've got the nostalgia thing, but I remember, at the same time, cursing the stickers(ESPECIALLY the old ones made of thick, shiny white stock, where if the die was a bit off, everything was missing one edge) as they brought the overall aesthetic experience crashing down as they scuffed, or got wet and turned all MANKEY.
I do agree with Darth Ovori, I mean, the technology is there, and it doesn't really seem that the savings on the production is passed along too well(I'm Canadian, don't forget) to the consumer. If something that IS expensive SEEMS kinda cheap it just makes it kind of suck more than it does, if you know what I mean. I wish you weren't right, JP. WOOOOOOO!!!!

chewie
03-19-2002, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I don't mind some decals, but the POTF2 falcon had so many I just about couldn't bear to apply them all (but I did anyway).

LTBasker
03-19-2002, 11:44 PM
I wouldn't mind something along the lines of the TIE Bomber's detail for the cockpit, stickers are evil. :p

JEDIpartner
03-20-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
...stickers are evil. :p

"Diabolical", actually...!