PDA

View Full Version : General Lando?

SithDroid
03-18-2002, 05:33 PM
Why does Lando get promoted to General and gets put in charge of leading the assault on the second Death Star? How did he attain such a high rank in the Rebellion if he has only been around about a year (which, I'm sure a majority of that was working on getting Han back from Jabba)? Surely there are higher ranking officers who have put in much more time than him. Plus who would want to take orders from a man that is known to lie and gamble (excluding Han just because he is cool and has also proven himself) and hasn't shown that he has what it takes to lead. Anyone else have any thought on this?

Rollo Tomassi
03-18-2002, 06:33 PM
Somebody heard about his little maneuver at the battle of Tanaab.

And Han implied he turned it down because he wasn't crazy. Lando was the respectable one, remember?

SithDroid
03-18-2002, 06:38 PM
Sorry, just don't buy it.

Jargo
03-18-2002, 08:52 PM
Don't buy which aspect of it- the battle of Tanaab being a firey battle where Lando risked his neck to battle against outrageous odds and gain the respect of the rebellion leaders or the fact that Han turned down the generals job because he was encased in carbonite at the time.... :crazed:

Sorry, what don't you buy Sith Droid?

hamsterboy
03-19-2002, 01:58 AM
You're worried about that? I'm trying to figure out how they made Leia a general. My guessing is for both is the Rebellion was desperate for officers.

Rollo Tomassi
03-19-2002, 09:44 AM
So Lando, Leia, and Han are all Generals and Luke is lowly Commander Skywalker?

How did Luke get passed up for promotion? Didn't he blow up the first death star and save the Alliance's collective keister? Isn't he in charge of the most successful X-Wing squadron in the Alliance? Isn't he the biggest propaganda tool the Rebels have going for them? What hasn't he got that the others do? Poor Luke.

Starfig873
03-19-2002, 10:03 AM
Sorry, just don't buy it.

I'm sorry? :p

The Battle of Tanaab is probably 99% of the reason, as it was mentioned in the film.
AND Lando did happen to get a job as a guard at Jabba the Hutt's palace so he could help save Han's frozen patootie. That's a pretty selfless thing, considering if he was found out before hand, Lando'd be giving the Sarlacc gas about now.

Plus Lando has always had the hook-up for some Colt 45, you know the Alliance had it's downtimes. :) ;)

Beast
03-19-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
So Lando, Leia, and Han are all Generals and Luke is lowly Commander Skywalker? How did Luke get passed up for promotion? Didn't he blow up the first death star and save the Alliance's collective keister? Isn't he in charge of the most successful X-Wing squadron in the Alliance? Isn't he the biggest propaganda tool the Rebels have going for them? What hasn't he got that the others do? Poor Luke.
Well, unlike all the others he doesn't have any military training whats so ever. He was just some hic farmboy that in most of the rebellions eyes, who just scored a lucky shot. Not to mention he was whiny as hell in the first movie. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SithDroid
03-19-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Don't buy which aspect of it- the battle of Tanaab being a firey battle where Lando risked his neck to battle against outrageous odds and gain the respect of the rebellion leaders or the fact that Han turned down the generals job because he was encased in carbonite at the time.... :crazed:

Sorry, what don't you buy Sith Droid?

First off, I don't know a whole lot about the EU, so I don't know when the battle of Tanaab took place. I'm asuming between ESB and ROTJ since Lando was head of the mining colony Bespin before that. If it did indeed take place then, then I guess he deserves it. My whole point was that so many newcomers get promoted so fast within the Rebellion, that's all. Heck Wedge has been around a lot longer than Lando, so why didn't they ask him to lead the battle? I mean he must be good because he becomes Rogue Leader. It's a seniority thing was what my point was all along.

Jargo
03-19-2002, 04:59 PM
I guess at that time Wedge wasn't leadership material and lando was having governed a whole city for several years quite succesfully and then obviously lead a team into battle and out again with the least amount of death and carnage to the home team. I guess Wedge with his easily distracted personality "Look at the size of that thing...!!!" was deemed topo immature at that time to be a team leader.

Luke being a trainee jedi would have seen promotion as unbefitting of a Jedi and resisted it. leia because she organised many a rebel cel in her time and helped with the tactical side of the battle of yavin and the battle of hoth and so in the appropriate moment gained her rank. Han because he also is a leader who can gain the respect of others and lead them safely in and out of conflict easily. troops would follow a guy like Han anywhere and admire his courage so that's my reason for Han being promoted.

it's all very well having people in your little rebellion who are willing to make the sacrifice and fight the bad guys but you need a leader capable of getting all those pudgey faced people to do what needs doing and go where they need to be. They need leading and need to be given orders. So our heroes happen to be good at that sort of thing which is of course why they're heroes and not just joe schmo in the background somewhere.

LTBasker
03-20-2002, 01:41 AM
I do believe Wedge was 2nd in command of the fighters during the attack on the DS2 since he just had his little X-wing and Lando had a much bigger ship which was also capable for combat and had extra weaponry like gunner stations on it they decided that he would be better off in charge of all the fighters (not the whole battle) and Wedge would be good as a 2nd in command for it.

Darkross
03-20-2002, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
So Lando, Leia, and Han are all Generals and Luke is lowly Commander Skywalker?

How did Luke get passed up for promotion? Didn't he blow up the first death star and save the Alliance's collective keister? Isn't he in charge of the most successful X-Wing squadron in the Alliance? Isn't he the biggest propaganda tool the Rebels have going for them? What hasn't he got that the others do? Poor Luke.

Simple...Luke resigned his commission from the rebellion after freeing Han Solo from Jabba and became a Jedi ambassador for the rebellion.

Huckleberry Josh
03-20-2002, 04:03 PM
I think Wedge should have been the one to lead the attack on the DS2 because he is the best pilot in my opinion. Lando is a sucky pilot and he probably just got lucky in the Battle of Tanaab.

Darkross
03-20-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Huckleberry Josh
I think Wedge should have been the one to lead the attack on the DS2 because he is the best pilot in my opinion. Lando is a sucky pilot and he probably just got lucky in the Battle of Tanaab.

Perhaps...but GOLD LEADER (LANDO) is the one who leads the fighter attack. What I do know is that after the battle of Hoth, Wedge takes over as Red Leader and Rogue Leader from Luke...so if it weren't for Lando...then I like to think that Wedge would have been promoted to Gold Leader and would have lead the fighter attack on DS2.