PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro: Jedi Starfighter

JEDIpartner
03-19-2002, 09:05 AM
I just received this nice piece in the mail yesterday. To say this is one of the nicest ships that has been issued in a long time would be an understatement.

The sculpt: The overall sculpt on the Delta-7 is spot on. Every still that I have seen is matched by this toy. The size is a little smaller than I had originally expected, but appears correct when an action figure is placed next to it.

The detailing: Hasbro has finally gotten the paint detailing thing down to an art. I was a little unhappy at how contrived the burn and wear marks were on the Naboo Starfighter from the E1 line. That is definitely a problem of the past. There are little intentional flaws in the Red and Creme coloured areas of detail. It has a more realistic feel to it. The carbon scoring effects are not overdone or too heavy. There are also little glints of silver to give it that worn-off appearance. There isn't much to say about the astromech. It's relatively unremarkable. I had to add a spot of black paint to his "eye" as the whole square, including the eye, was painted silver. There are few details on head, but this has been common with every fighter that's had a built in R2 unit. The cockpit needs to be detailed with the little stickers they provided. The aren't terrible, but I know some collectors would like to see a little more moulded detail. For me... this is just fine. There is a little light blue "headrest" inside the cockpit. It pivots up and down and that, really, is the extent of the "adjustable" headrest. The insignias, and "exposed" areas of the ship are also stickers, which need to be applied. Again... these are fine and are printed with the same detailing as the ones on the Royal Starship.

The mechanics: The cockpit canopy is a little tight and difficult to flip open. This is actually a good thing if you are attempting to copy the manoeuvres of this baby in the asteroid field. We don't want that pilot falling out! There is a little button near the bottom of the tail assembly that allows the vehicle to assume its "Fight Mode". Two wing panels pop off to expose the additional arsenal and four spring loaded fins pop into position- recalling the fins on Maul's ship. There is one main landing skid in the front. It is fully retractable and folds neatly into the nose of the ship. The two "missiles" can be deployed only when in "Fight Mode". These will not work if the wing panels are still attached. The missles are fired by two little yellow buttons located near the thrusters.

The packaging: It's a nice box with eye-catching graphics. It DOES have a little of the "retro" look about it, but it's actually not bad. The box is made of a sturdy corrugated cardboard and not the flimsy chipboard some of the E1 vehicles were packaged in. The blue actually works in favour of the artwork on the box. Since most of the things in the Star Wars universe aren't designed in blue (probably due to bluescreening) the details of the product show up much better.

Playability: Kids will probably have a great time with this. I know I certainly did!! I just can't wait to get my pilot Obi-Wan figure to go with it. The panels are a little tricky to get back on, but with a little practice, you'll get the knack for it.

Overall Grade: A-

JetsAndHeels
03-19-2002, 10:25 AM
Great review, JediPartnr.
Just reading your words here makes me want one even more.
Hopefully I will have one soon enough.

General Veers
03-19-2002, 05:43 PM
I ordered mine online and I can't wait to receive it!:D

jedibear
03-21-2002, 11:03 PM
The first arrival in the AOTC collection is a great looking ship with some fun playability as well as being a nice display piece.

The Good: Continuing what started with the ship reissues of the past couple of years, the Starfighter features superb coloring/detailing. The scorch marks, bits of silver "flake" (to "reveal" the metal body underneath)& the "chips" in the republic red paint give the ship an authentic "distressed" look that harkens more to the original trilogy's craft. (more on that later....) The features( which remain to be seen if they are movie-specific or just some fun the toy designers are having)...pop-off panels...are well concealed and don't affect the look of the ship. The tail fin, nose & weapons are made of a softer grade plastic (flexible) to help prevent breakage if the ship is dropped & the colors match well with the harder plastic that the rest of the ship is made of. The R2 unit's head turns easily and the canopy opens easily, revealing a deep cockpit and an adjustable "headrest". The front "kickstand" is firm and also conceals well.
I also like the new packaging design...featuring photos of the actual product (albiet in fantasy situations) and the text copy is easier on the eyes. I like the new unified logo harkening back to the classic one from the original line with the same bold framing. Another hearty thanks for the heavier grade cardboard used for the box itself....this will hopefully enhance the product's shelf life (not that this cool ship should be sitting long!!)

The Bad: Well, not real bad but.... The alternate battle modes make for fun play, but if the ship I have is any indication, they won't hold up too well to repeated play. One of the wing panels on my ship already requires extra care to put it back & doesn't withstand any major bumps before coming off again. This vehicle is also cursed with stickers...some really tiny ones too...especially around the cockpit area. While the exterior ones don't look bad, the cockpit ones are little garish and give the ship a more toy-like appearance. (Yeah, yeah...I know it's a toy but...) The R2 dome could have used a little more detailing as well (black out the "eye" & "camera" ports for one).
The lack of an accompanying figure is unfortunate too...would it have been too much not to include an Obi-Wan pilot figure here? (Especially considering that the advance photos of Obi-Wan figures coming soon show figures in stances that will not fit in this cockpit...)

But these are minor concerns for what is a great first entry in the AOTC collection....

Some final comments on the vehicle design itself....excellent job Chaing & co! Turning this ship around gives one the visual impression of the hulking Star Destroyers to come...even in this ship's battle mode, there are the visual motifs of a TIE fighter or a Sith Intersceptor. Like many of the things I've noticed in the trailers, there is a very conscious (and great looking!!!) effort to bridge between the trilogies through design. THanks to Hasbro for the great 3d rendering of one of these efforts!! Only a couple of months to go....till the Clones Attack!

JediTricks
03-23-2002, 01:01 AM
I'm curious how the ship looks without all the stickers. Is it too detail-free, too spartan; or does it look good and most of the stickers seem secondary?

dr_evazan22
03-23-2002, 09:12 AM
I think the only exterior sticker that is really nescessary is the Republic/Pre-Empire sticker. The others add some detail, but the toy could stand on its own.

I had a problem getting my ham hands into the cockpit to apply those decals- there were 2 near the floor that I just couldn't get and threw away (I've never been good at applying decals!).

The landing gear was well designed and folds completely into the ship.

As for the paint deco, adding the carbon scoring and what-not, they did a much better job then they usually do. Usually you get a box w/ a nice crisp paint deco, then you open it and there is paint spray all over.

Good job on this!

Tycho
03-26-2002, 06:40 AM
Now that I have it, I'm not too impressed. It looks cool in front of my old Slave-1, that's about it.

But I totally dig the A-wing, the closest to the Starfighter by comparison, a LOT more than I like Obi-Wan's ship.

You guys that have them: does this ship "do anything for you?"

It's so darn lightweight in the box, that I'm expecting the shipping and packaging costs were really low on this one, and we will eventually see this selling for $9.99 like we saw done with the N-1, which is much more a quality vehicle.

I'm looking forward to Slave-One's "new do" most this year.

The Jedi Starfighter is boring next to allowing rabid fans like myself have something to waste their money on before April 23.

But one more thing to its credit - it's nicely painted for the deco done on it even before stickers are applied.

And to its detriment: I tried to seat Snowbi-Wan in the ship, and his coat skirts were pliable enough to sort of stretch it with flexibility, but the leg room was too short! I'm NOT talking about it not being wide enough. Snobi-Wan has a wide enough stance. I'm saying the figure's legs are too long. He is just barely too tall for this craft. So what is going on?

This craft will sit and not sell, starting early negative feedback off to hurt the line, and April 23 will provide us with no pilot either, if Coruscant Chase Obi-Wan doesn't somehow fit in this vehicle. I'm optimistically guessing he does...but even if so, there are not a lot of figures I think you can use with this craft. Bespin Escape Leia for sure - and for whatever good that will do ya...

Oh well. I have a return receipt to switch with one I get for a lower price later... *sigh*

JEDIpartner
03-26-2002, 12:34 PM
I think I like it even better now, actually.

browndroid
03-26-2002, 12:37 PM
great review!

JediTricks
03-28-2002, 12:39 AM
Hasbro's Jedi Starfighter: The first Episode II vehicle from Hasbro is a ship of strong conflicts - a battle of good points and weak ones. Let's start with the easy part first, the packaging: the new "Star Wars" unified packaging is junk inside and out. The saber-holding hands really take the "quality Star Wars product" look down a few notches, and the blue color seems weak -- especially with what can only be described as an aurora vomiting all over the place, what are they getting at with this? The "Attack of the Clones" name and the title of the toy are in some pretty lame fonts, giving the packaging a "amateur photoshop" feel. There are a lot of pics of the vehicle, but no pictures of any figure sitting in the vehicle; instead they blacked-out the canopy on the "fantasy situation" pictures on the front and sides... not a good sign. The cardboard is thicker than the POTJ boxes, but the insert holding the ship inside doesn't do its job: the ship isn't held in place, bending the rear fin out of position (don't worry, it straightens out by itself after a few hours and some encouragement) and there were parts rattling around loose inside all 6 boxes I saw thanks to the bag for the body panels not being sealed in any way. The instruction sheet isn't bad, but it's not as good as it could be showing off the locations of the stickers (look for stickers 3 and 4 which fit into the SIDES of the cockpit in areas that match their shape, the 2-dimensional drawing doesn't give a good clue here). The stickers are all adequate and fit nicely into scheme of the vehicle, but the cockpit is tight and I found removing the canopy to be vital to the sticker-applying process.

The Vehicle in movie-accurate "flight mode"... Well, first off, it's not as big as some of the other $20 Star Wars vehicles, it's about the size of the Skiff, but that's actually how it's supposed to be. In fact, with the body panels on and the pop-up stabilizers closed, "accurate" is this ship's middle name except for the cockpit, but more on that later. The vehicle is a compact wedge shape designed to remind fans of the infamous lines of the Star Destroyer and Super Star Destroyer, and has the color scheme of the A-wing fighter seen in ROTJ. Primarily red and aged-white, the ship features plenty of scorch marks confined strangely to the removable body panels and rubbery nose. The rest of the ship has an aged look thanks to a fine speckle added to the plastic, and the aft section is techy detailing and engine nozzles molded in dark gray. The ship features plenty of detail, like a rubbery fin behind the cockpit, twin blasters above and below, a permanently-attached astromech dome, and a fully-retractable front landing leg. Behind the astromech is a small hole which the upcoming AOTC Obi-Wan Pilot figure's radar dish accessory plugs into, too bad the figure won't be out for months and months. The only things that stand out as not faithful to the film prop are guns/pivot points for the pop-up stabilizers on either side of the ship - no big deal - and the small green buttons between the engines and on the back. The droid dome is adequate, it rotates very smoothly, is painted red with silver doors and details, a smaller blue eye, but oddly lacking black paint for the main radar eye leaving it silver. The neatest feature of this mode is a keen landing leg which pulls out of the underside differently from any other Star Wars toy I know of - a nice little pleasant surprise.

There is one frustrating element that mirrors the ship's Lego cousin, the removable body panels (aka the bulk of the wings) are not terribly stable. These panels want to pop off all the time -- if you grab the ship at this area, you have a fair chance of trouble here. This is a major frustration here because if you like playing with your toys (and this one is hard not to zoom around the room), you have to think twice before picking it up.

The Vehicle in made-up "fight mode"... Pushing a solid, sturdy button on the bottom of the ship causes the rear of the wings to pop open and the body panels fly off, turning the ship from a wedge-shape to a more needle-like, over-armed ship reminiscent of the Sith Infiltrator. Once the body panels are gone, you get tons of blasters and two spring-loaded missiles that fit with this new look - the missiles are fairly wimpy and leave big cannons in their absence, but can't be fired with the body panels on. And Hasbro didn't skimp on design once the outside was done: there are no "blank spots", no embarrassing flat areas that lack detail; instead we have plenty of sculpted details, including a black sculpted pattern inside the stabilizers that reminds one of a TIE fighter; heck, even the insides of the blast-away body panels have details inside, and they're just space junk! The fight mode is significantly different from the movie-accurate version and it doesn't feel like it was tacked on at the last minute, there seems like a lot of thought put into this new look, there are even conduit stickers and brace-arms for the pop-up action on the stabilizers.

Unfortunately, closing the ship back up is a great big ball of frustration, especially if you don't close the stabilizers before you add the body panels back on. The problem is, the latches that hold the panels onto the body aren't very tight but the springs that launch them off are very strong, the rear ones aren't even one piece, they split around the spring-loaded missile which makes them much thinner than they should be, and thus much weaker. So, you line up all the little tabs just right and you push the panels into place and you STILL have a chance that they'll launch back off - it's a frustrating little game that you may end up failing at anyway when you realize that you put the panels on the wrong sides and they're backwards!!!

The cockpit, the big problem on this toy... The cockpit is, without a doubt, the biggest failing of this toy and it is a real shame. The outside shape is fairly accurate, a little too steep at the middle of the "glass", but otherwise fine. It opens forward like the movie version, but just like the Naboo Fighter toy, it takes more of the surrounding hull with it (though this actually makes more sense to seal off the cabin from space than the movie version). Inside the dark gray cockpit is a small light-blue control panel and a matching blue pivoting headrest, a color that simply does NOT work in here, it stands out like a sore thumb. There are some nice sculpted details in the cockpit, but it's also fairly Spartan with too many blank spots, areas that are dependant on stickers, a very shallow chair, and a complete lack of controls (also, the nice floor is marred on mine by a stamped date-code or something just in front of the seat). The blue headrest has a big pivot joint that keeps it way above the seat, and there's this tab on top which keeps the canopy from staying closed when the headrest is all the way back - very lame. Behind the headrest is more detail area on a shelf that seems to serve no purpose beyond holding the dippy headrest itself - in fact, according to the pics of the movie prop I've seen, there is way too much area between the seat and the area behind it, and this is where the real trouble comes in.

The cockpit floor is fairly wide but short -- at first this seems like problem itself, the floor isn't long enough under the dashboard, but the real problem is that the seat is too far forward. The seat is so far forward that with the canopy down, the figure is sitting more than halfway towards the front of the "glass" making it look like there's enough room for an entire 2nd seat a la the Snowspeeder - don't get your hopes up, this isn't the case. Another problem the seat being so far forward presents is that in order to keep the pilot's head from impeding the canopy, the seat has to be very low causing normal figures to look like they're children driving a car, the Han Solo figure I have piloting it now isn't even able to "see" over the front of the canopy! "Why do you have POTJ Han Bespin piloting the Jedi Starfighter", you ask? Because I couldn't find an Episode I Jedi figure that would fit in the cockpit, all those plastic "skirts" get in the way, all the extreme leg poses (like Jedi Training Obi-Wan and Soft Goods Qui-Gon) have to be squeezed out of shape and keep the figure off-center thus bumping into the canopy, even soft-goods Obi-Wan has a ton of trouble staying in there without either rattling around or causing the headrest to force the canopy open (thanks to Obi-Wan's sculpted pony tail)... this is a truly annoying problem, yet it's as if Hasbro designed this ship specifically for the Han Bespin figure, his legs fit, his arms are the perfect length, his head stays centered, and the headrest fits just right, only one problem... HE'S NOT A JEDI!!! What were they thinking here?!? It's no wonder there's no picture of a figure sitting in this vehicle on the box, there isn't one from the AOTC line that can fit with all those extreme poses. Why oh why didn't they just put the seat further back, or better yet, have a sliding seat to accommodate figures of nearly any height?

Final Thoughts... The Jedi Starfighter is a great toy, but not for the AOTC line. It has some serious problems that are all the more frustrating because the positives here are so nice. I don't mind the nubs making up for a lack of rear landing feet, but I do mind the thoughtless cockpit design; I don't mind the extra side hinges, but I do mind the precarious nature of the pop-off body panels. So, this ship gets the following grade... (GRADE: B+ as a vehicle by itself, C- as a figure-oriented toy)

Taichi
04-11-2002, 06:31 PM
Hmm, I've had problems with stickers in the past......and know how frustrating putting cockpit decals in can be....

and while I don't own the Jedi Starfighter (YET)
here's my tip:

Get a screwdriver, and TAKE THE SHIP APART!!!, that's right....take it apart......then remove the cockpit section, and use a tweezers to insert the decals that way.......

after you have done this re-assemble the ship (I'm gonna also remove the springs from mine, so that it displays without fear of blowing the side panels off, and knocking over a bunch of loose figures).......and voila!!! perfectly applied cockpit decals!!!

JediTricks
04-11-2002, 06:33 PM
I have a feeling that if you take this ship apart, it'll never go back together right. There are so many springs and levers and and brace-arms and spring-loaded latches inside that you could put an eye out. Plus, I think the cockpit is one piece where the stickers go, so removing it from the body wouldn't help much.

Obi-Don
04-21-2002, 08:53 AM
I like mine and did have some trouble with the decals. But, all in all its a good ship. I have some plans on getting another after I have got the other things that I want. In some ways I hope that they do end up sitting. The price will go down and I will get another cheaper.

fightoned
05-01-2002, 11:22 PM
This isn't really a comment about the toy but a comment on the ship design. How the heck does the R2 unit fit in the ship? Shouldn't the legs be sticking out the bottom?

Beast
05-01-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by fightoned
This isn't really a comment about the toy but a comment on the ship design. How the heck does the R2 unit fit in the ship? Shouldn't the legs be sticking out the bottom?
It's just the droid's dome and brain section hardwired into the ship. Originally it was going to be a truncated droid, but that was dropped in favor of just having the droid be hardwired into the ships systems. Here is a thread about that in the E2 (Spoilers) section. :D

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5417

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Wolfwood319
05-01-2002, 11:31 PM
The R2 isn't a full sized R2.

Overall, this is probably my favorite 'scale sized' ship they've ever produced. I can't wait for the Pilot Obi-Wan.

fightoned
05-02-2002, 01:08 PM
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I knew someone had to notice it besides me. I looked everywhere for that topic but I am avioding spoiler sections so I didn't scan that forum. (I don't think there were any real significant spoilers in that thread anyway.) Thanks again Jar Jar.