PDA

View Full Version : DAREDEVIL is going to suck...

Rollo Tomassi
03-19-2002, 11:45 AM
I found this ***SPOILER FILLED*** review of the screenplay. Not a pretty sight.

When we first see Daredevil his bloodied and battered body falls through a church skylight onto the floor. A priest comes to his aid and pulls off his mask to reveal not only his face, but also his eyes. Daredevil is close to death and even though he is blind, his life is flashing before his eyes. We, of course, get to "see" it with him....

Just a couple of thoughts regarding the Daredevil script:

1. The first scene showing Daredevil fighting the bad guys starts off great but ends up rather disturbing. After losing a court case against two rapists, Quesada and Smith (where was Palmiotti?) lawyer Matt Murdock takes to the streets looking for another form of justice. Vigilante justice. He traces the two men to Josies bar where he ends up tearing through scores of bad guys and bullets using "a hybrid fighting style of martial arts mixed with street fighting". After smashing faces, breaking bones, running on walls he chases his intended targets/victims (?) out of the bar and into the night where he ends up KILLING both of them. One by hanging and the other by letting him get run over by a subway train! Now as far as I remember, Matt Murdock was always interested in REAL justice. He used the Daredevil guise to bring the bad guys to justice, not seek revenge by killing those he couldn't prove guilty in a court of law. They've got him acting more like The Punisher than the Daredevil I remember. This is too bad, because Daredevil is supposed to be a HERO. Not a KILLER.

2. Everything seems to be rushed. I understand the fact that they are dealing with a limited amount of time when trying to present a story in movie format, but adjust your story line accordingly! The Elektra Saga was one of the coolest most compelling storylines in the Daredevil series. Here we are going to see a condensed version of what "kind of" went on with Elektra and Daredevil. And in the process we lose a lot of the drama that made the storyline work. Elektra was supposed to be the love of Matt's life. Here we are barely introduced to her before she is killed by Bullseye. If they would concentrate on making a good movie I'm sure they would be able to make a sequel or two where they could develop the relationship Matt and Elektra had. It seems to me that they just want to put everything into this one movie and go out with a bang, never to make another movie about the Man Without Fear. I mean, come on! The next thing you're going to tell me is they are going to make a Batman movie where the Joker is going to not only BECOME the Joker, but end up getting KILLED at the end of the very same move! I mean how ridiculous would that be? Oh, wait a minute... um...

3. Of course in the end he gets the Kingpin. But to have the final showdown between Fisk and Murdock not even fill two pages... What kind of Kingpin are we dealing with here? Although I have heard that Michael Clark Duncan has been cast as Wilson Fisk, the Kingpin of Crime. I think this is a brilliant move! Despite what all the naysayers... say, I say this is a good thing. The Kingpin needs to be big. He needs to be powerful. He needs to be menacing. But does he necessarily need to be white? No way! Michael Duncan is just the guy to pull it off. This guy is HUGE! He will fill Fisk's shoes perfectly.

4. Some of the descriptions of how Daredevil sees the world are very interesting. I'm only hoping they will pull this off. The special effects technology is there to make the world through Daredevils "eyes" extremely cool. I only hope they put the effort into really highlighting these scenes. After all this is one of the coolest things about Daredevil, the fact that he has this super sensory radar. It's a big part of what makes him who he is, the baddest, blindest, crime fightin'EST good guy ever to come out of Hell's Kitchen...

Here's to expecting the worst, but hoping for the best...

El Chuxter
03-19-2002, 03:34 PM
Sounds interesting. . . but not a good interesting. The idea of Ben Affleck as DD still frightens me.

I do agree that MCD would make a great, if nontraditional, Kingpin. But two pages? Yeesh!

Wolfwood319
03-19-2002, 03:44 PM
Yeah, this sounds pretty terrible. The only interesting part was the rapists being Kevin Smith and Joe Quesada.

Jimmy Palmiotti has left Marvel since Quesada took over the reigns, he now works for DC and some indy stuff if I'm not mistaken.

Darth Cruel
03-23-2002, 05:41 PM
My own opinion is that, like every other story that is retold by a different person, this is just another version of the the story. I wouldn't want it to be exactly like the comics. That would be boring to me.

I like the idea of DD killing the bad guys. Cool twist. Daredevil is still a hero to me even if...and maybe even BECAUSE he kills them.

And even though I was heartbroken when Elektra died...the first time I ever felt that comic publishers were stealing money from me was when they brought her back to life.

This is actually the first I have heard of DD being made into a movie, but I am stoked even with the differences from the comic stories. Sounds like a great movie in the making to me.

Rollo Tomassi
04-04-2002, 09:23 PM
Dark Horizons (www.darkhorizons.com/news.html) had a short interview with Kevin Smith. Apparently he's playing a coroner who takes a payoff from Ben Urich (Joe pantoliano) to let him in the morgue and NOT a rapist. He said Matt should be good if he can leave his "ham fisted theatrics in his trailer..."

Tee hee.P.S. You may move this to the Movie:other section

2-1B
04-10-2002, 03:44 AM
Here's a link to a few pics of Smith and Pantoliano on the set. It also has an interview, Smith makes the comments Rollo said about Affleck leaving his theatrics in his trailer. :D

http://www.viewaskew.com/news/apr02/1.html

Wolfwood319
04-10-2002, 04:44 AM
I don't see Joey Pants as a good Ben Urich. Pants always seems to be more apt at playing "wormy" sneaky type of characters. Urich in the comics was always just this calm steady reporter.

Why does Joey Pants always wear that ridiculous looking hat? Every time I see that guy lately he's wearing that hat.:rolleyes:

2-1B
04-10-2002, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
Why does Joey Pants always wear that ridiculous looking hat? Every time I see that guy lately he's wearing that hat.:rolleyes:

True, but it's better than the hairpiece he has to wear on The Sopranos. :D

Eternal Padawan
04-27-2002, 08:13 AM
And I thought I was the only guy to call him Joey "Pants" because I'm too lazy to type out (or say) his full name.

Yesiree, Joey Pants and Johnny "Legs" (Leguizamo)...

My friend what works at Warner Bros said they were shooting Daredevil on the WB lot and he saw Benny in costume. I told him to snap some digital pics and slap them on the 'net, but he said he didn't want to lose his job. GONK!in' Pu**y. :mad: ;)

Sith Worm
04-27-2002, 01:05 PM
Well i loved X-men and I am sure that Spidey will be great, but it looks like this is going to give comic movies A bad name once again and be A total crap fest!

RooJay
05-02-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
He said Matt should be good if he can leave his "ham fisted theatrics in his trailer..."
[/i]
Surely you mean Ben, and not "Matt". He was speaking of the actor and not the character in that quote!;)

By the way, Joey Pants is the guys real nickname!

For the record...Kevin Smith seems to think it's gonna be a cool flick. His word is good enough for me!

RooJay
05-16-2002, 10:15 PM
The costume looks pretty good to me!

Sith Worm
05-25-2002, 12:49 PM
Here he is as the blind one. The costum gives me flash backs to the famous nipple batman and robin the only movie to date that i have walked out of...

Dooku Fett
05-25-2002, 01:01 PM
Daredevil movie? COOL!

Eternal Padawan
05-25-2002, 01:24 PM
The costume looks shiny to me. What's up with that?

RooJay
06-04-2002, 05:06 PM
WOW! Check this out! What a HOTTIE!

Jonna
06-04-2002, 05:09 PM
I think that I would waste my money on "Spirit" first.

mrhat
06-04-2002, 05:15 PM
Ah Daredevil, dear dear Daredevil, why did you let them make you into a blockbuster rushed picture? Elektra being killed is STUPID, i mean that can't happen so soon into a movie series, i mean come on its Elektra. But no she is ressurected in DD 4... god. I would much rather see a Punisher movie.

derek
06-04-2002, 06:13 PM
jennifer garner, from "alias" is in this film? well that settles it, i'm there!:D

i don't know a thing about "daredevil" and am not an afflect fan, except for his performance in "dogma", but i'm going now!:)

mrhat
06-04-2002, 08:18 PM
Garner is one of the only reasons i am even considering going. mmmmm... Elektra

saladin
06-07-2002, 11:16 PM
Well Spider-man was good, the blades were good, and X-men was good, so i have confidence in marvel.

jjreason
06-09-2002, 08:15 PM
The shiny costume looks like leather to me, as does Elektra's outift (obviously). The jury is really out on this one. Daredevil has only really been handled well by a few, few creators - the comic has not been great for much of it's near 40 year existence. It has great movie potential, but Im really concerned about Affleck. I generally like him and his movies, but Im not sure that's Matt Murdock. If all the characters mentioned here are in the movie, it will be a busy affair with little time for character development. I think they're going to slough off the depth of Matt and Elektra's relationship in favour of sped up fist fights. When Elektra dies are we even going to give a crap? I have reservations, and my not loving Spider-Man isn't helping any.

Eternal Padawan
02-02-2003, 09:23 AM
Well, well, well. Lookie what I found collecting dust at the bottom of the movie forums.

Any takers on whether my title is/was accurate or not? :)

I've been hearing it's the coolest superhero flick ever.

And I've been hearing it ssssssucks big floppy donkey...stuff.

Afflecks voiceover during the trailer makes me cringe, but the rest of the movie looks good. And Farrell and Duncan hamming it up (in a good way) tip the scales in the movie's favor.

At least it'll have a great commentary if they let Affleck rip it apart like he does all his other films. I LOVE me some Affleck DVD commentaries. :D Milk comes out my nose every time.

Beast
02-02-2003, 01:49 PM
Someone that hates Ben Affleck posted a review of the film over at AICN. He said that he has to re-evaluate that hate, because Affleck is Matt Murdock. So it sounds like it will be damn good. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

scruffziller
02-03-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
The costume looks shiny to me. What's up with that?

Marketing my friend, marketing.

El Chuxter
02-04-2003, 01:20 PM
I was willing to give it a chance until I read that the director's sole directing credit was Simon Birch, which is one of the worst movies I've ever made. It was such a lousy and wrong adaptation of John Irving's classic novel A Prayer for Owen Meany that Irving refused to let the studio use the title!

James Boba Fettfield
02-04-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
which is one of the worst movies I've ever made.

Woah, you made that movie? So how did Daredevil end up being?

All kidding aside, I'm still expecting this movie to satisfy me. I read reviews about the film being dark, kind of like the first Batman film. If it's like Batman, then I am going to be happy.

El Chuxter
02-04-2003, 03:02 PM
D'oh!! I wrote "I've ever seen" and decided to change it to "made" and, well, obviously messed up slightly. :)

Oh, and I think Jennifer Garner is far more wrong as Elektra than the Insurance Duck Guy can dream of being wrong as Daredevil.

RooJay
02-04-2003, 06:34 PM
This might be of interest:Daredevil Review - Moriarty (http://linux10985.dn.net/display.cgi?id=14348)

Kidhuman
02-05-2003, 12:29 PM
My feelings can go either way on this movie. I think Affleck is a horrible choice. He doesn't seem to be the superhero type in my eyes. He could very well suprise me and this movie be pretty darn good. I dunno guess I'll just wait and see about it.

SithDroid
02-05-2003, 09:01 PM
I don't know about this movie. It has potential, but from what I've seen of the previews, I don't think it is going to be that good. If the studios were really sure it had a chance of being a blockbuster then they would have released it during the summer with all the other blockbuster movies.

mrmiller
02-07-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by SithDroid
If the studios were really sure it had a chance of being a blockbuster then they would have released it during the summer with all the other blockbuster movies.

My thoughts/fears exactly.

=MATT=

Eternal Padawan
02-08-2003, 11:02 AM
There were probably some phone conversations between Avi and the suits at Sony and Fox about spreading the Marvel love throughout the year instead of shoehorning them into a six week "summer blockbuster-a-thon" between Memorial Day and Independence Day. Fox definitely wouldn't want to release X2 and Daredevil anywhere close to each other.

Besides, the first of the year is never a strong time of year for film releases, so even if it's mediocre, DD will clean up at the box office. I'm predicting a $40- 50 million opening weekend and a quick dropoff the following week.

Prince Xizor
02-08-2003, 10:49 PM
Why are they releasing this on Valentines Day?

derek
02-08-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Prince Xizor
Why are they releasing this on Valentines Day?

valentine's day happens to be on a friday this year, and friday is the day movies are released. so technically, it's being released on a friday that happens to be valentines day. ;)

JediTricks
02-09-2003, 10:32 PM
I believe also because it's going to be a fairly romantic superhero movie and they want the biggest date night of the year to pump up their opening box office. Not too much romance in The Hulk probably. "RAAARGH! Hulk smash flowers for you!!!";)

Lord Malakite
02-09-2003, 10:34 PM
Valentines Day. So thats why he is wearing red. :D ;)

James Boba Fettfield
02-09-2003, 10:40 PM
I'm going to see it alone Friday. There best not be any couples with their faces attached to one another ruining the movie going experience for me, the loner.

wedgeA
02-14-2003, 01:20 PM
Saw it last night at a preview screening. Overall, it was pretty disappointing. To my surprise, Ben Affleck was pretty good as Murdock, and Jon Favreau nailed Foggy Nelson, but the rest of the cast was woefully pedestrian.

Jennifer Gardner was simply not Electra. She had no real mystery sex appeal to her, she was basically too "girl next door". The villians were not threatening enough. Farrell overplayed Bullseye horribly, and Duncan was way to tame as the Kingpin.

The movie seemed to have too much story crammed in, and the plotlines and characters were not developed enough. Also, the fight scenes were horribly shot, some of the worst put in a major film. Most were poorly lit and the excessive cuts and angle shots made it difficult to tell what was going on.

Finally the direction in general was pretty terrible. It ripped off from many other comic movies and really seemed pretentious at times.

I also had problems with specific plot points, but won't go into them yet since the no one's seen the film yet. Overall, I think the film would have been much better with improved casting, like Monica Bellucci as Electra (YIKES!!), and a better director such as Alex Proyas.

James Boba Fettfield
02-14-2003, 03:12 PM
I just got back from seeing it, and I enjoyed it. I agree about the fight scenes, some of them were too dark to tell what was happening, and they shot some pretty weird angles. Like the scene in the bar towards the beginning, very confusing. It did have a lot put into the movie too. Daredevil takes on Electra, Bullseye, and the Kingpin. Aside from those two things, I really enjoyed the film. I did enjoy the darkness it had to it, though. Overall, if you could take Spider-Man and enjoy it, then you should be able to enjoy this movie too.

2-1B
02-15-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by wedgeA
Jennifer Gardner was simply not Electra. She had no real mystery sex appeal to her, she was basically too "girl next door".

I find Jennifer Garner to be of exceptional sex appeal. :crazed:

I saw DareDevil today and really enjoyed it. I liked it more than Spider-Man, but less than X-Men. And quite likely more than The Hulk. :D

Oh, it was certainly lacking in enough areas, but overall it was a fun movie and I liked it. I don't read comics and have little to no interest in them . . . so I have no notions of how these characters should be played. MCD was decent as the Kingpin, although he didn't seem like a very threatening villain (although, I prefer him any day to the incredibly annoying Green Goblin).
Colin Farell was fun to watch, it was cool to hear him using his real accent. :) Jennifer Garner was a treat IMO. Oh, and as for the star?

Well, I thought [/AFFLACK] -ode to LTBasker ;) - was pretty cool in the role. I go back and forth with him, sometimes I like him in movies and other times I don't. In this flick, he was fun to watch. :)

I'll be getting the DVD.

2-1B
02-15-2003, 04:27 AM
I'm positive I saw Kane Hodder sitting next to the boss during the boxing match - did anyone else notice him ? :)

Any idea if Stan Lee had a cameo ?

Beast
02-15-2003, 04:32 AM
Yep, Stan Lee appears near the beginning of the film after Matty has been blinded and is learning his abilities. He's waiting at the crosswalk for traffic to clear, and an old man is walking up reading the paper. He's about to step out into traffic, when Matt quickly whips his cane up to block him from going. Stan "The Man" Lee, pulls down his paper and stares at Matty as he's walking off. Excelsior!! :D

I really liked the Kevin Smith cameo. Nice to see him popping up in his buddy Ben Affleck's movie. Did a perfect job as the slightly goofy coroner. As for Affleck himself, people were right. He's a perfect Matt Murdock, I don't know of anyone that could have pulled off the charecter so well. And regardless of the complaints about the changes to Kingpin, Michael Clarke Duncan is perfect in the role. Oh, make sure you sit thru the credits, as halfway thru somthing pretty funny happens. :)

MTFBWy and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
02-15-2003, 11:15 AM
Caesar, you saw Kane too?! I had no idea he was even supposed to be in it, but when I saw him I let out this slightly loud cry of "JASON!!" I don't think anyone heard, maybe the very large man in front of me. Now that I think of it, I let out a moan/cheer for the other cameos as well.

Eternal Padawan
02-15-2003, 11:23 AM
"Is he a friend of yours?''

"I've never seen him before in my life."

Ahhhhhhh..blind humor. :D I really liked the movie. There were some problems (most of them dealing with Garner/Elektra) but overall it was a good comic book movie. Some of Afflecks voiceover grated on my nerves, but most of it fit.

I looved the comic references. Not only was Stan Lee in it, but I think John Romita Jr was in the audience at the boxing match and Frank Miller was the poor bastard with the pen in his forehead when Bullseye steals his motorcycle. Did you catch the challenger on the Marquee at the boxing match? John Romita? And when Fallon is telling Jack Murdock about all the guys he's "beaten" he mentions Miller (as in Frank), Mack (as in ???) and Bendis (as in Brian Michael). Too cool! Oh, and the rapist who gets off then winds up meeting the C train? Jose Quesada (the character, not the E.I.C.) very cool littel references peppered throughout the film for the comic geeks.

So Bullseye is Irish huh? Hmn. Figures. :rolleyes: I absolutely loved Farrel's over the top performance.

Ben Urich works for the NEW YORK POST?!?!? :mad: Ben you traitor! I was hoping to hear some Bugle and J. Jonah references tossed in for continuity buffs.

Favreau as Foggy was great. I thought the "first date" on the playground was a little wierd. As in totally goofy. If you have to kick the girl's *** in order to get her number, the relationship is going to end badly. Eh. Maybe it's a New York thing. Plus, Matt didn't exactly try to hide his secret powers. First he's flipping and jumping around like a ninja in front of witnesses on the playground, then he's telling her about the whole rain on the face thing. ordinary blind people don't have wierd phase sonar to see your face in the rain, but his explanation didn't phase her one bit.

I liked the idea of Matt resting in sensory deprivation tank. I was kind of dissappointed that the Father was..well, a Father. I wanted to see the Mother _____ ( I forgot the character's name) from the comics. It would have held a greater impact, especially for sequels when Matt finds out she really is.

I agree the first fight scene was too incredibly choppy, but they improved after that.

My big beef was the miscasting of Garner. A. She's not that attractive. B. She didn't do the character justice. C. Her performance was as wooden as Farrell's and Duncan's were over the top. The sudden romance between her and Matt felt rushed and forced and I didn't buy into from her side. It was only when she went on her revenge kick that I found her character interesting.

But all in all, a great film. I was pleasantly suprised.

By the way, after they introduced both Matt and Elextra, I turned to the person I went with and said "Oh, it's never gonna work. He's Catholic, she's Greek Orthodox.":D

2-1B
02-15-2003, 02:27 PM
LOL,
Eternal Padawan began with blind humor and ended with religious humor. :crazed:

So what is the story with his mother ? I'm curious . . .
I bought the movie version DareDevil Marvel Legend after I saw the movie, and the reprint comic I got with it shows DareDevil (in the hospital after a battle with Hulk) talking to Ben and explaining his past. It was similar to the movie, only the comic character was older than the movie character when he became blind. Some other changes, but nothing major that I could tell. I picked up the Bugle/Post difference too. :)

Jaymz, I KNOW that was Kane, the precision trimmed beard was too unique. :crazed: Yep, I just checked IMDb and they have him listed as "thug." :)

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
02-15-2003, 06:15 PM
I thought it was pretty ok. Too choppy though........

I also thought it was pretty cool that Kevin Smith made a cameo playing Jack Kirby. I'm glad they payed tribute to Jack Kirby by putting his name in the film.

Eternal Padawan
02-16-2003, 06:31 AM
I didn't even catch the Jack Kirby reference. :) Cool.:cool:

Caesar, there's a nun in the comics that Matt often goes to speak with about his dual life and keeping his head straight and they've never come out and stated it in the comic ( as far as I know) but it's been implied that she is his real mother and she left Jack Murdock to join the convent after Matt was born out of wedlock.

In the comics, he was a high schooler on his way home from the library when he pushed an old man out of the way of a truck full of toxic chemicals and one of the barrels doused him. Then the chemicals ran down a drain into the sewers and covered four turtles...;)

QLD
02-16-2003, 07:48 AM
I saw it last night, and I liked it.

I thought it was equal with Spiderman. It certainly had better villain performances in it. I loved Bullseye. I was worried about how strong they would make Kingpin. He seemed a lot weaker than he should be, however, they did a good job I think. And I did like Duncan a lot. Elektra was OK. She looked fine to me, but yeah, her character was a little dull in the beginning.

What I really wanna know is, who is going to clean up all those sandbags? And who has the unfortunate job of filling/hanging all those things. :crazed:

Jayspawn
02-17-2003, 01:16 AM
I just saw Daredevil tonight and I really liked it. I thought it was about equal to Spiderman. Affleck played a great Daredevil. I like the sunglasses that Matt wore. Elektra was fine in my opinion. Very fine. Michael Clarke Duncan was great as Kingpin. I was skeptical when I head he had been cast, but it was a good choice. I thought Colin Farell did pretty good as Bullseye.

Now I have a few questions. Who's going to clean up all of those sandbags? Did anyone else besides me think Jennifer Garner was HOT? And do you think Elektra is still alive?

Eternal Padawan
02-17-2003, 11:32 AM
"Wilson Fisk is in the HIZZY!"

I think it's implied Elektra is alive because she left Matty the braille pendant at his favorite rooftop. Plu FOX wants to spin her off into her own franchise movies and you can't do that with a dead person. :dead: :happy:

SithDroid
02-17-2003, 11:54 AM
I saw Daredevil yesterday and I liked it. I think that Spider-man was a better film, but this one had it's moments. This movie had tons of comic book references in it, Jack Kirby, Kevin Smith, John Romita, Stan Lee, etc... It was fun pointing them out. This movie should make over $100 million, but as far as sequel potential, who knows. It will be tough to say. Ben Affleck was actually good as Murdock.

scruffziller
02-21-2003, 12:36 AM
Just got back from watching it.

It was alot better than I expected. I don't know alot about the comics so I don't have anything to really go on for comparison.
One thing I am not sure of is that were the identies revelaed so quickly in the comics?? From what I was told, he acted too much like Spiderman. I heard he was only suppose to have the equivelence of an olympic athlete.

icatch9
02-21-2003, 12:00 PM
No question Elektra is still alive. Clearly the necklas tells that, and the reaction MM had when he found it. He knew she was still out there. Her character is far to interesting to have killed off in such a lame way.

I don't know if her own movies would be good or not. I like the idea of a real female hero, but just can't picture a good story line. An assasin for Kingpin is one thing, but how much can you pull from that? I guess killing tons of Vampires worked for Blade, so killing tons of badguys may work for Elektra.

I think that the movie version of DD was a lot more talented than the Comic version. Sure he's as talented as an Olympic athlete, but what does that mean. Does he have the ability of every Olympic athlete? From high jumper to gymnyst? I guess so, becaust the way he was jumping around and soaring between buildings is certainly nothing I can see Kerry Strugg doing.

All in all a good movie. Not the best Super Hero movie, but not the worst either. Certainly worth seeing and a DVD purchase.

wedgeA
02-21-2003, 02:28 PM
With respect to DD's powers, I believe he was trained by a ninja named Stick in the comics, which explained his fighting skills. I was disappointed that they did not cover this in the film.

As for Electra, her death in the film is pretty much the same as the comics, but the problem is that the relationship developed for over a year in the comic so it has much more impact. Also, it tooks them years to bring her back. The movie and the prospect of an Electra spin-off really cheapens the whole story.

Also, as for my previous comments, I think that Gardner is attractive, but not for the role. Electra is much more European and mysterious, and Gardner seems to girl next door type.

JediTricks
02-21-2003, 09:17 PM
I haven't seen the film yet, but saw this posted on figures.com's forums. Notice the figure in the background, just in front of Ben Afleck's head...
http://www.moviegod.de/images/film_news/03_01/2280_16b.jpg

James Boba Fettfield
02-21-2003, 09:26 PM
I totally missed out on what that entire scene was about when I saw it. Well, it all now makes sense. Can't wait for the DVD with Coolio side story added in!

RooJay
02-24-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by wedgeA
With respect to DD's powers, I believe he was trained by a ninja named Stick in the comics, which explained his fighting skills. I was disappointed that they did not cover this in the film.

I should point out that he was trained by BLIND ninja master Stick! The director has even mentioned on a few occasions that he regrets not having been able to include Stick due to time constraints, but that it's still possible for the training to have taken place off camera in the film's story, and that the possibility still exists for it to be covered in a sequel.

As for Electra, her death in the film is pretty much the same as the comics, but the problem is that the relationship developed for over a year in the comic so it has much more impact. Also, it tooks them years to bring her back. The movie and the prospect of an Electra spin-off really cheapens the whole story.

Yes, but cheapens it not nearly as much as the fact that Marvel comics itself brought her back to life for no good reason at all! I always thought the character was a bit worthless on her own merits, and that it was her death and the effect it had on Matt Murdock that gave her any potentcy at all. She was always intended to die for the sake of Daredevil's character development, and I think she should've stayed that way - in the comics AND the film.

Also, as for my previous comments, I think that Gardner is attractive, but not for the role. Electra is much more European and mysterious, and Gardner seems to girl next door type.

If forty-something, five foot nothing Michael Keaton's shortcomings (no pun intended!) can be overlooked for what turned out to be a memorable turn as six foot something Batman - then why is it so hard for everyone to accept Jennifer Garner as Elektra? She made the character FAR more appealing than she is in the comics, in my opinion! Although, there probably were better choices out there that might have accomplished the same thing...

wedgeA
02-24-2003, 04:25 PM
Roojay,

Gotta agree with you on the "dead means dead" idea, I just felt that the comic was the lesser of two evils since while her resurrection was a gimmick, at least her death was not.

As for the whole Keaton analogy, I thought he his performance as Bruce Wayne was terribly inaccurate, and I can never forgive him for such a crime against humankind!! I do think he was better than Kilmer though. I think if Clooney had better material to work with, he may have pulled it off. Keaton was o.k. as Batman, but under that costume, any actor in decent shape would look cool. But yeah, I think if one praises Keaton and criticizes Garner, it does seem inconsistent.

RooJay
02-25-2003, 02:55 AM
Agreed on all points. Though I still have a certain fondness for Keaton's Batman. Of course, that beng said - I wouldn't care much to see him back under the cowl now. Especially with so many other, better choices for role.

Prince Xizor
02-25-2003, 08:09 PM
Saw Daredevil and I think it is the best Marvel movie to date. Better than Spidey and X-Men. Not better than Batman, but better than anything Marvel has done.

My favorite part of the movie, by far, was Colin Farrell's Bullseye. I am a huge Farrell fan and he was just awesome in this movie. Did everyone catch him after the credits in the hospital? A lot of my friends missed that scene, but I caught it 'cause I sit in the back. I do hope for another Daredevil movie, if for nothing else but to see Bullseye extract some revenge.

tagmac
02-27-2003, 10:57 PM
Funny thing is, this is NOT the first time Daredevil has been portrayed in a live action movie. In the tv movie "The Trial of the Incredible Hulk," Daredevil is there, albeit in a black costume.

James Boba Fettfield
02-27-2003, 11:03 PM
tagmac, would you rate the performance of the Daredevil in that Hulk tv movie worse than the Dolph's performance as the Punisher in the Punisher movie? I've never seen the tv movie you're talking about, so it's a serious question.

tagmac
02-27-2003, 11:33 PM
I've never seen the "Punisher" movie, and I only saw that Hulk movie the one time it was broadcast (in '89). I can only say that, from what I remember, the character was portrayed correctly, and the performance was average, at best. If anyone else remembers the movie, maybe they can add to this.

James Boba Fettfield
02-27-2003, 11:56 PM
Imagine Dolph (the villian from Rocky IV) as the Punisher. It was terrible, very terrible. Just from the little bit you remember about this Hulk movie, it sounds like the Daredevil character was portrayed a lot better than the Punisher was.

JediTricks
02-28-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
Imagine Dolph (the villian from Rocky IV) as the Punisher. It was terrible, very terrible. Nope, there's no way the above description fully captures the horrors of that film. ;)

James Boba Fettfield
03-01-2003, 05:56 AM
Don't listen to him tagmac, that Punisher movie is the reason we have Marvel pumping out the titles now. Everyone says it was Spider-Man who got it going, I say it was Blade (and it is!), and others would like to give credit to the Punisher movie. So go out and rent it today! You will not be disappointed if you go in with no expectations for it.

RooJay
03-03-2003, 12:47 PM
Actually...I would have to agree that it was Blade that got the ball rolling. If it weren't for that movies' success, Spider-Man would most likely have still been in development hell as it had been for the better part of the last two decades.

JediTricks
03-04-2003, 09:41 PM
Blade definitely got the ball on Marvel films rolling (or should I say "rolling in the right direction"? :D) but it also got films like the Matrix really going too.

Eternal Padawan
03-05-2003, 08:38 AM
Yeah, I would say The Punisher and Captain America were actually stumbling blocks on the way to getting the Marvel movie juggernaut rolling. And let's not forget the Fantastic Four movie. ;)

Blade was the key. Most of the Marvel movies were in pre-production or deals in the making before Spidey slammed the box office. Thanks to Blades solid performance. If anything X-Men had more to do with it than Spider-Man.

James Boba Fettfield
03-05-2003, 09:50 AM
I just want to clarify that my Punisher remarks were in jest, and I know Blade is what got the Marvel ball rolling like it is now. That movie had it all, and it went out for the R rating it needed to be told. That movie is near and dear to my heart. I used to act out the Bloodbath scene with a broom at my former occupation of work. I also would recite the Chinatown sequence. That movie was perfect, and easily my favorite comic book turned movie.

JediTricks
03-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
I just want to clarify that my Punisher remarks were in jest, and I know Blade is what got the Marvel ball rolling like it is now. That movie had it all, and it went out for the R rating it needed to be told. That movie is near and dear to my heart. I used to act out the Bloodbath scene with a broom at my former occupation of work. I also would recite the Chinatown sequence. That movie was perfect, and easily my favorite comic book turned movie. I feel similarly about Blade, it was so dang good... this is why I was so disappointed with Blade 2 though.

Kidhuman
08-16-2003, 09:37 PM
I saw this movie today and was actually surprized by it. Ben Affleck wasnt as bad as I thought. I think Colin Farrel stole the movie though. He was awesome as Bullseye.

jjreason
08-16-2003, 11:27 PM
Saw Daredevil and I think it is the best Marvel movie to date. Better than Spidey and X-Men. Not better than Batman, but better than anything Marvel has done.

My favorite part of the movie, by far, was Colin Farrell's Bullseye. I am a huge Farrell fan and he was just awesome in this movie. Did everyone catch him after the credits in the hospital? A lot of my friends missed that scene, but I caught it 'cause I sit in the back. I do hope for another Daredevil movie, if for nothing else but to see Bullseye extract some revenge.

I feel the exact same way - except in reverse. I would rather this movie had never been made than made the way it was. Terrible.

Jedi Tech
08-17-2003, 12:00 AM
I feel the exact same way - except in reverse. I would rather this movie had never been made than made the way it was. Terrible.

I feel the same way also, same way as jjreason that is, it was terrible, the only highlight for me was watching Jennifer G. in leather pants. :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-17-2003, 01:18 AM
Hmmmmm, Jennifer G in leather outfit...:crazed:

This movie was fairly medicore at best for me. I did like how the Irish Colin Farrell sometimes talked in his accent and sometimes didn't. I kept yelling at my TV, "Colin, just talk regulary!!! You have an accent natural for God's sake!!!"

The whole, "more peanuts, please" scene was funny though. Yet, I realized how crappy this movie was when i realized that Kevin Smith in his cameo was the best performance in the film. :D

2-1B
08-17-2003, 02:40 AM
I'm still a big fan of this flick, I like it alot! :)
I was delighted to grab the DVD and I'm looking forward to watching all of the extras . . . for me, it's easily my favorite comic book movie after X-Men, of course.
I still haven't bought Spider-Man and I have no plans to do so. Other than Daredevil and X-Men, the only comic DVD that I own (that I recall offhand) is Blade . . . and that Batman movie from 1966(?) but ONLY because I got it free with Daredevil. :D

Also, I should mention my Ferrigno-Hulk DVDs but those are in a league of their own! :D

Pendo
08-17-2003, 07:34 AM
I never went the cinema to see Daredevil because I didn't really know anything about Daredevil, and the trailers didn't really do anything for me. But when the DVD came out over here I decided to get it to see what it's like, and I loved the movie! IMO it's by far better than Spider-Man and X-Men.

I agree with alot of you, Colin Farrell was great in this flick. Ben Affleck was also quite good and plays the emotion really well :).

I heard there is a sequel coming, I just hope it's as good as the 1st movie. I also want Bullseye to return, and also Michael Clarke Duncan as the Kingpin :).

PENDO!

Sentinel18725
08-17-2003, 08:44 AM
I truly enjoyed Daredevil. If for no other reason than the characters were fun. They also did a great job of making characters that had dualality. it was great! The vision thingy was cool too.

El Chuxter
08-18-2003, 01:02 PM
I finally saw this over the weekend as well. It wasn't as bad as I'd expected. Though it's no X2 by a long shot, it's sorta like Highlander: you'll watch it, like it, see it again, like it, etc, but you'll never argue it's a great movie.

Colin Farrell and Michael Clarke Duncan were awesome!

The constant namedropping of writers and artists got rather old, though.

tagmac
08-25-2003, 01:27 PM
I didn't think it was that bad at all - X2 was the best, but since I bought the DVD, I've prolly watched Daredevil about 20 times. I loath Colin Farrel, but he was good as Bullseye.

Speaking of X-2, it comes out on DVD in November....can't wait. A deleted scene with Collossus would be sweet!