PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

icatch9
03-19-2002, 03:25 PM
I read a lot of these forums and the consensus is that people hate scalpers. I agree scalpers are giving this hobby a black eye. In our eyes and in the eyes of outlanders. But, what would you do in a couple of hypothetical situations listed below.

1. You walk into your local Super Market (Jewel, Dominickís, County Market, Cub, ect.) and find 10 Sio Bibble figures in mint condition. They are on sale for $1.49. You already own a Sio Bibble, and so do all your Star Wars buddies. Now there is no way you can use Sio as an army builder (that would be a weak armyJ). So do you buy them all and jump for joy with the chance to make about $300, or do you leave them there for someone else?

2. Your significant other drags you to some lame antique show. You are dreading this Saturday afternoon looking at all this old junk. Low and behold you walk up to this old couples table and see 3 Yak Faces, 3 Amamanans, 3 Stormtrooper Lukeís, 3 Han Solo in Carbonite, and 3 Blue Snaggletooth. All original, loose and near mint to mint with accessories. They have them marked $2.00 each, but the old lady is nice and says you can have them all for $25.00. Now you donít have any of these so you have to get at least one of each. You donít know anyone else who buys Star Wars stuff, so you donít have to buy any more. Do you buy these extra oneís with the chance of making about $1,000 on the secondary market? Or do you leave them for another person?

3. You walk into your local KB or KB outlet to check out the Star Wars stuff. They have not had anything new for months, so you are not expecting anything. But you see the stock boy putting a box of AT-AT on the back shelf. There are 2 out and he says there are 6 more in the back. They are marked down to $4.97. How many do you buy? Do you buy them all and set up an army. Do you buy none since you already have one? Or do you buy them all with the chance to make about $400.00?

Now these are unusually circumstances but not to far fetched. I walked into a store just after Christmas 2001(only 3 months ago), and found 4 Admiral Mottiís 4 Hooded Leiaís, 3 TC-14, and 1 R2-B1 all in mint condition and all on sale. We all have herd stories of garage sale finds and antique show finds, so that scenario is possible too. So answer one of these or all of these, but be honest. Everyone can lie, but only the truth will help you and others understand this hobby better.

Now I hope everyone can be civilized with this forum, and I hope the moderator can help if any bashing goes on. I did not start thread to start another argument, just a hypothetical situation to help everyone understand this hobby more. So please be civil and respect others opinions.

I will start these answers off. I truthfully would buy all of these, every single one. I would do it day after day after day. I am not a scalper, but I am not going to leave them on the shelf for a scalper to buy them. I would buy them without a guilty feeling. Thatís the truth.

Jargo
03-19-2002, 04:12 PM
Monetary gain doesn't interest me in the slightest. I'd leave all the figures and just buy al the AT-AT's. $4.95 I'd be a lunatic to leave them on the shelf. I'd set up a grand Imperial display and enjoy them all every waking hour. Maybe I'd just open four and sell the other four at a small profit to people I liked. I certainly wouldn't charge more than $10 if I bought them at that low a price. Unless I had to ship them and then I would ask for more to cover the shipping since I'm not a charity.

Actually I'd probably only buy what I could carry. Which given my small stature and the size of the AT-AT box would probably be two.

But maybe I'd just buy one since I have limited room, already have one and tend to stick to pairs of things in my collection.

It's a hypothetical but I think I'd have to decide when I was faced with it at that precise moment. It would also depend on my financial situation at the time too.

Odd question and an odd answer. :)

icatch9
03-19-2002, 04:19 PM
Thank you EJ. A very honest answer.

Wolfwood319
03-19-2002, 04:21 PM
Hypothetically;

I'd leave the Sios on the shelf.

I'd get all the vintage stuff, and hang on to the extras them to trade later.

I'd get one or two AT-ATs, I don't need anymore than that. All I can carry, besides, I don't have room to accomodate 8 AT-ATs.

These are nice little "What if.." proposals, but the thing is, these are all chance encounters. Scalpers go out everyday to buy up all they can to sell later. Here, it just so happens they have rare star wars figures at odd places, like a grocery store and antique show.

DahrJin
03-19-2002, 04:27 PM
I'd pick up all that I could. Not for the chance to make money, but to give others looking for the same stuff a chance at getting it. Trading is a great way to make friends in the collecting community you know. If you help someone out, they will always try and help you too. You know the ol' scratch my back and I'll scratch yours saying. :D

Dryanta
03-19-2002, 04:31 PM
I live in an area where thee really are no scalpers.So bare this in mind while reading my reply.
The first case would be one where I didn't buy any.Don't need them,leave them for the kids or another collector.
The second is even easier for me.I would not buy any from the older couple.I would make sure they understood what they were worth though.Foolish? maybe,but I would like to see older people get a break for a change.
I would buy a couple ATATs.I 'm large enough to carry all they had,but I'd only get a couple.Again leave the rest for kids or other collectors.
if I knew there were folks on here looking for the specific things I found I 'd buy what was needed and post it here.Let them go at cost plus shipping.
Again the worryof leaving things for scalpers to pick up really isn't a concern unlike alot of you I'm sure

fourtwo
03-19-2002, 04:32 PM
i'd horde it all.
:D

just kidding.
i may get a couple sio bibbles, for trading or just to have.

i'd get all the vintage cause i have barley any and give some to a friend who also collects

i'd get all tha at-at's probably if i could cause i love imperial stuff and would make room for it all, cept probably 2 for the friend who collects.

they'd all get opened :)

dr_evazan22
03-19-2002, 05:03 PM
I would buy at least 2 Sio's for myself; but, knowing they are difficult to find, I would pick up extra's to trade or even to sell on eBay.
I wouldn't consider myself a scalper for putting it on eBay if I started bidding at the price I paid. If the auction ended w/ 1 bid for the price I paid, that's great! I would feel bad if the bidding went from $2 to 30 though, even though that is basically the way a free market works. It would bother me to leave any of these for a scalper, like the ones that advertise here on SSG.

I would also try to trade for other fig's I don't have on a fig fo fig basis.
The at-at's I'd take or leave.
The older couple? While it would be noble to let them know the value of what they had, I picture them not caring and just want to get rid of them.

InsaneJediGirl
03-19-2002, 05:40 PM
1)I'd pick up one for myself and another for trading

2)I'd tell the older couple how much they were worth.Then ask If
I could buy a YakFace,for whats its worth.They deserve a break(older people)

3)I'd pick up all of them.Its a steal.About 4-5 to open myself and
the others to trade.I'd make a grand army with those :D

Hope this sheds some light on my "collecting habits"??? :confused:

Turbowars
03-19-2002, 07:22 PM
I would buy them all and sell them on e-bay, there's money to be made! Hey I need to support my collecting too. That's the God's honest truth. When this situation happens I'll give you guys a deal, just let me know that your from SirSteve's HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!:) Just kidding, well not really.

Amanamike
03-19-2002, 08:56 PM
I ran into a situation a year and ahalf ago like this. I went to a store where there was 12 sets of Mynok Hunt 3 packs(all canadian tri logo) This is when they were super rare. I ended up trading 10 of them with people who had things I could not get. I got quite a few Death Star Troopers out f the deal.

Im no scalper, but I could not pass up the chance to buy them all even though I didnt need them. I had seen a need for these online for collectors so i bought them to fill my needs of figures I coulndt get up here in Canada.

Sith Vicious
03-19-2002, 10:34 PM
I always leave stuff I already have on the pegs. I know some people like to get extra stuff to trade and I'm not trying to slag anyone, but to me this just creates a vicious cycle of people not finding stuff. If I get an extra set of something I already have, that might cause someone else to pick up an extra set of something he already has that I need. Again, I'm not passing judgement, it's just my personal choice. The only one I'd probably buy would be the vintage stuff. I wouldn't consider this the same as buying extra of the new stuff since it's not retail. I'd feel bad about screwing the person selling them though (but not all that bad .:evil: )

Dar' Argol
03-19-2002, 11:01 PM
1. The Sio's I would leave b/c I do not like that character, I do not want him, I will not trade him.

2. You would be a fool to pass up vintage for $25. I would keep one of each and then look to trade the others for stuff I need in my collection. There is an aweful lot of stuff you can get for those vintages!! But, in the same respect, I would not be greedy either. I know when too much is too much.

3. Are you kidding me:eek:. 8 AT-AT's @ 4.97 each!!!!! Lets see, 8 @ 4.97 plus state tax here would bring up a grand total af around $42!!!!!!:eek: I'd be crazy to pass that up:crazed:! I would buy everyone of them. Open them all!!! Set them up!!! Then take the 6 vintage figs I have and trade them for a bunch of Snow Speeders and Hoth rebel soilders, and recreate HOTH!!!!!

And that's the honest truth coming from a Carded/Loose collector:D

And I am not trying to start an argument here, this is a simple observation. But it seems the reason you get into arguments alot is the fact that a lot of your posts are "holyier then thou" postes. It seems that you try to make yourself better then the rest of us. BUT, this is ONLY a possible reason why you get yelled at so much here. I am not yelling at you. Just offering a little criticizm, that's all:)

icatch9
03-20-2002, 08:17 AM
Some real great posts. Thank you all for being honest. I am glad to see a lot of different answers. Please, keep them comeing.

JetsAndHeels
03-20-2002, 09:01 AM
1. I would get at the most 1 or 2 Sio Bibble's. I didnt really like his character, but an extra of him would be good for trading purposes.

2. I would definately buy those vintage figures. I dont have many left from my childhood, so any chance I could get more I would have to take advantage of.

3. As far as the AT-AT's I would buy 2 or 3. I never got one the first time around and have been meaning to get one ever since. I would open them up and create a diorama.

stillakid
03-20-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by icatch9
1. You walk into your local Super Market (Jewel, Dominickís, County Market, Cub, ect.) and find 10 Sio Bibble figures in mint condition. They are on sale for $1.49. You already own a Sio Bibble, and so do all your Star Wars buddies. Now there is no way you can use Sio as an army builder (that would be a weak armyJ). So do you buy them all and jump for joy with the chance to make about $300, or do you leave them there for someone else?

I don't really follow "values" of figures and what is rare or not, so I most likely wouldn't think twice about this scenario and leave everything right where it was. KB Toys usually gets "older" figures in months and months after the first run so I wouldn't find it unusual to find something like this at some point.

2. Your significant other drags you to some lame antique show. You are dreading this Saturday afternoon looking at all this old junk. Low and behold you walk up to this old couples table and see 3 Yak Faces, 3 Amamanans, 3 Stormtrooper Lukeís, 3 Han Solo in Carbonite, and 3 Blue Snaggletooth. All original, loose and near mint to mint with accessories. They have them marked $2.00 each, but the old lady is nice and says you can have them all for $25.00. Now you donít have any of these so you have to get at least one of each. You donít know anyone else who buys Star Wars stuff, so you donít have to buy any more. Do you buy these extra oneís with the chance of making about $1,000 on the secondary market? Or do you leave them for another person?[/B]

This scenario was more likely, say fifteen years ago, so realistically it wouldn't happen today, but hypothetically, after calming down (quickly), and approaching the table, I'd ask what they wanted for the figures. As I don't usually have $5's in my wallet, I most likely give them slightly more money than the asking price to help with my guilt.

However, I don't personally see this as a scalping issue. I define scalping as the reselling of mass produced currently available merchandise or services available at retail. So, as in example 1, the scalping issue is obvious. I'd, of course, keep what I needed from these vintage figures, then offer the others to friends at my cost, not the inflated vintage price. I really don't know what I'd do if I still had extra figures left over after that. I don't feel right profiting from a collectable like that. I always see it as unfairly taking advantage of people for greedy purposes. I don't know...I'd probably keep searching for friends of friends who need to complete a vintage collection.

3. You walk into your local KB or KB outlet to check out the Star Wars stuff. They have not had anything new for months, so you are not expecting anything. But you see the stock boy putting a box of AT-AT on the back shelf. There are 2 out and he says there are 6 more in the back. They are marked down to $4.97. How many do you buy? Do you buy them all and set up an army. Do you buy none since you already have one? Or do you buy them all with the chance to make about $400.00?[/B]

I'd buy them all and set up an army. If I needed to get rid of some of them, again, I'd ask my friends first but I wouldn't let greed take over.

IcebergSlim
03-20-2002, 01:02 PM
1) I'd buy just 1 Sio Bibble to help further the EP1 collection

2) I would buy all the vintage figures because I don't have any

3) I wouldn't buy all the AT-ATs but since it's my fave vehicle and it's a chance for some serious army building, I'd probably buy 4 or 5.

on second thought, I might have just left 1 AT-AT left, so I could keep one in the box for a possible trade and give 1 to a friend.

icatch9
03-20-2002, 01:20 PM
These are some great answers to these interesting questions. Remember in the questions you have no reason to buy one or more for fiends. This is a "what if", and in this "what if" you have no one else to buy for. Keep them coming, this is a real interesting thread. At least I think so.

Sith Lord 0498
03-20-2002, 01:29 PM
1) I'd definitely buy one Sio Bibble to open and put with the rest of my loose Episode I figures. I'd probably get two more for trading purposes only but not to sell for an inflated profit. The rest I leave for the next collector or little kid to accidentally stumble upon them. And I'd DEFINITELY make that store a regular spot because who else know what'll pop up!!

2) I wouldn't accept the package deal. I'd pay the $2 each and give them the full $30 just because I know what they're really worth, but stumbling upon is too good to let it slip away by revealing their actual value. Besides, I agree with the others who said that this old couple probably wouldn't care. I'd give one Yak-Face to a girl I know because it's the last figure her father needs to finish his own collection. I'd keep one of each for my own collection, and the rest I'd use for trading purposes to get some newer figures and vehicles.

3) I'd only buy two (at most three) AT-ATs. I don't have the room for dioramas, and I already have one of the POTF AT-ATs. I'd just use these for trading purposes once again.

jw_bryant
03-20-2002, 04:05 PM

well, i dont know prices of figs, so i would just leave them there. heck, for all i know, i may have seen a few of them sitting on the shelf. :)

2. Your significant other drags you to some lame antique show. You are dreading this Saturday afternoon looking at all this old junk. Low and behold you walk up to this old couples table and see 3 Yak Faces, 3 Amamanans, 3 Stormtrooper Lukeís, 3 Han Solo in Carbonite, and 3 Blue Snaggletooth. All original, loose and near mint to mint with accessories. They have them marked $2.00 each, but the old lady is nice and says you can have them all for $25.00. Now you donít have any of these so you have to get at least one of each. You donít know anyone else who buys Star Wars stuff, so you donít have to buy any more. Do you buy these extra oneís with the chance of making about $1,000 on the secondary market? Or do you leave them for another person?

assuming i new the value of the figs, id tell them that they just might want to conside raising the price just a little. :)

3. You walk into your local KB or KB outlet to check out the Star Wars stuff. They have not had anything new for months, so you are not expecting anything. But you see the stock boy putting a box of AT-AT on the back shelf. There are 2 out and he says there are 6 more in the back. They are marked down to $4.97. How many do you buy? Do you buy them all and set up an army. Do you buy none since you already have one? Or do you buy them all with the chance to make about $400.00?

AT-AT's are worth a lot? :confused:

icatch9
03-20-2002, 04:32 PM
It seems that many are un-sure of prices. I picked these items because they are some of the more pricey and popular items on the secondary market. They may list for more in price guides, but the true value is what people charge and pay for on ebay and various trade shows. I consider myself to know alot about the prices, so my values should be pretty close.

Sio Bibble anywhere from $25.00-$35.00

AT-AT $50.00-$65.00

Yak Face $100.00 minimun (if you are lucky) and up to $175.00
Amanaman $75.00
Luke Stormtrooper $80.00-$100.00
Han in Carbonite $75.00-$90.00
Blue Snaggletooth $80.00-$120

Of course these are all subjective but if you are looking to buy these are the prices that you will find on average. So, as you can tell these situations face you with the American dream. Buy low sell high. However, I have read all of these and many people would pass on this oppertunity. That is a very interesting fact.

Thanks to all again, and please keep those posts comeing.

Dryanta
03-20-2002, 05:25 PM
Once upon a time I went to take a test for large Security company.
Alot of the questions on the Character/Psych. test sounded an awful lot like these hypotheoticals.
You writing a paper on toy collectors or something icatch9 ;)
good topic just the same

icatch9
03-21-2002, 08:43 AM
No I wish I was writting a paper. I think it would be a heck of a topic. It's just for my own and I guess eveyone elses knowledge. This seems to be factions of collectors, and I just wanted to see wich group there were more of. I haven't gotten any responses from people that are true scalpers wich is good. So perhpas this is sort of like Star Wars. "Only two, no more no less." I doubt it, becasue if that were true those two guys have a tone of FX-7 :). Anyway, I thought it would be interesting, and it has. I since that this topic has run its course here, but I hope more people post so that we can get a brodder since of the truth.

Thanks to all.

Rollo Tomassi
03-21-2002, 12:19 PM
Hypothetically, if I had all the Sio Bibbles I wanted, I would probably leave them there, but since I don't have him I would buy them all, keep a couple, and trade the rest for TC-14s and R2-B1s I don't have either.

I would snatch up all those vintage figures and not think twice about it. I wouldn't even feel guilty. Stuff's only worth what people are willing to pay for them or sell them for. Those figures are only worth $25 in that situation. They would never make it to eBay though. I would just keep them.

Same for the AT-ATs. That would make a grand diorama, if I could find the room. They would never make it to eBay, but it wouldn't stop me from buying them.

Sith Vicious
03-21-2002, 05:17 PM
I haven't gotten any responses from people that are true scalpers wich is good.

How many scalpers consider themselves scalpers? We all picture scalpers as the comic book guy from the Simpsons, scooping up all the figures to sell at inflated prices in their shop or on Ebay, but many of them probably don't fit this stereotype. Some people have admitted to buying extra figs to sell so they can support their collecting. They obviously don't feel this is scalping but many people disagree.

GeneralKenobi
03-21-2002, 05:30 PM
I would buy at least one extra Sio Bibble for trading purposes. I probably would buy all the vintage figs since I lost or destroyed most of mine as a kid. I probably wouldn't buy the At-Ats because I have no room and I only buy some of the vehicles.

If my dad found these however if he would probably buy them all and sell them on EBAY starting the bids at what he paid for them but he is a scalper nonetheless...and no he doesn't fit any stereotype...he has a fulltime job and just enjoys selling stuff on EBAY but the worst thing and I admit that it was wrong...I told him where they had preview figs and he gave me the money to go buy them...I'm sorry guys I betrayed the fold...

Dryanta
03-21-2002, 05:45 PM
Generalkenobi.Please reply with your name and address.you will be visited soon.Prepare yourself. :D

billfremore
03-21-2002, 06:18 PM
Ahhh yes, the impossible find, the dream of every collector.

1. I'd buy one, I saw one 3 years ago and didn't bother because I wanted the hologram Darth Sidious beside instead. At that price though I would buy it, but I think I'd be hesitant to pay any more though.

2. Absolutely I would buy them all, I love vintage stuff and seeing how this stuff is high in demand I would more than likely trade it for stuff I really wanted. But I would keep one of each for myself of course.

3. Do you have any idea how long I've wanted one of those?
I would buy them all at that insane price and do the trading thing again but I would keep 2 of them, one for myself (natch') and one for my 4 year old nephew. This kid is my Star Wars fan in training and I would have loved for someone to have given me something like that when I was a kid. Besides I have to keep up my image as the "cool" uncle. :)

Great thread icatch!

icatch9
03-22-2002, 10:59 AM
I hear you BillFremore. I have two young cousins (nearly 4 &3 years old) and I too am stockpiling loose figures for them. I hope to pass on the traditions to thier generation. Thanks for the reply. I am glad that you like this thread. I hope more people can respond to this, I realy enjoy reading these honest answers.

Thanks to all.
icatch9