PDA

View Full Version : Am I the Only One Who Worries About Space After the Fact?

IcebergSlim
03-20-2002, 02:31 PM
It seems like a lot of people in here, not to mention people I know, are always thinking if they have enough room for something. Am I the only one who buys stuff and worries about where it will all go later?

Casual George
03-20-2002, 02:47 PM
I'm desperately low on space. I've gotten to where I'm just collecting 3 3/4 figures right now. If I kept collecting vehicles and everything else I'd be sleeping on top of the stuff:(

IcebergSlim
03-20-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Casual George
I'm desperately low on space. I've gotten to where I'm just collecting 3 3/4 figures right now. If I kept collecting vehicles and everything else I'd be sleeping on top of the stuff:(

I hear ya. I used to have all my SW 3 3/4" figures displayed but now I have to pick and choose. And I have no more vehicle space. I have no idea where the Republic Gunship is going to go...

Sith Lord 0498
03-20-2002, 03:01 PM
I'm in the same boat, guys. As it is, during my college's spring break next week, I'm going to re-evaluate where everything is in my Star Wars collection room and start re-organizing things. Gotta make room for all that AOTC merchandise this year--not to mention classic trilogy items.

I was thinking about suspending the vehicles from the ceiling with fishing line and hooks to free up some room. Plus, I'm gonna need wall space for my AOTC and ESB SE posters that are coming in next week (hopefully). Hey, if anybody's got suggestions on how they organized their collections, let me know. I can use all the ideas I can get.

IcebergSlim
03-20-2002, 03:17 PM
I just have 3 large bookcases in my computer room that have adjustable shelves. I need 1 more though, but there's not enough room. I currently have 2 shelves empty for the AOTC stuff, but I have no room for vehicles.

I've thought about hanging the ships, but I don't know if my parents will go for punching holes in the ceiling...

billfremore
03-20-2002, 03:42 PM
I hear ya on the space thing.

I just reorganized after christmas so I should have enough room for all of the Ep2 figures, but like IcebergSlim's problem I'm running out of room for ships.

My ceiling's getting pretty crowded right now and shelf space? Forget it.
The royal starship takes up a heck of a lotta room.

Jargo
03-20-2002, 03:42 PM
I guess it's slightly easier if you keep stuf boxed and carded and only buy one of everything.

I buy multiples and open everything and never think before I buy. I just see it go "OOOOH - want that!" and buy it. Then i get home and rip it open and play a bit then take it upstairs and go "OOOOH! - no room....." :D I have tons of stuff shoved under the bed waiting to be shelved. I think the best thing is to invest in a modular shelving unit that you can adjust the shelves on to suit th sizes of the stuff displayed. I have one fixed shelf unit and it annoys the crap out of me because I can't get stuff I want displayed to fit. Then I bought some adjustable shelving from IKEA and I have the perfect solution. The whole system is bought in small sections that come in varying widths and lengths and shelf sizes so you can basically build whatever size display unit you want. My shelves are two foot deep and three feet wide so i can get tons of stuff on them. Including the royal starship now I don't have it hung from the ceiling. because the shelves sit on pegs you can adjust them in increments. I have the AT-AT on one shelf but will adjust it by three inches to take a shuttle if I ever find one. Oh yeah, the shelving system is called IVAR if anyone wanted to know. It's not the prettiest looking stuff but it's real wood not particle board shelving and the pegs system is metal for strength. And as it comes in seperately packed pieces and you buy what pieces you want it's easy to budget out an expansion when needed.
I'm extending this spring and will double what I have and add a corner unit to utilise all the available space I have.
This isn't the best picture but shows how much room I have to play with on one shelf. My thoughts on hanging ships can be found in the customising section http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4130 :)

fourtwo
03-20-2002, 03:59 PM
i usually have to squish everything closer together everytime something new comes home with me.
its starting to get out of hand :)

dr_evazan22
03-20-2002, 04:14 PM
Jargo- Impressive... Most impressive.
I love that Ikea.

Who cares about space?!
I'm like a lot of, see something I don't have and snatch it up! I've a 2 bedroom apt (live by myself) and the 2nd room is for my comics and all the SW that is boxed. I keep all my carded fig's in comic boxes, and there are probably about 12 of those. Then there are a half dozen or so big boxes that have stuff that hasn't been displayed for about 3 years.

icatch9
03-20-2002, 04:18 PM
Space is always an issue. At some point you have to decide what to show off, and what to put in storage. I am lucky. I have a large room on the upper level of my house to store my stuff, but this was not always the case. I also collect Starting Lineups (all sports) and display these all over my room (hanging on the walls in package, and many on shelves too). I reached a point where the wall ended and the players kept coming. This is when I had to make cuts. Only my favorite players made the “team”, and the others went into a box. I use paper boxes bought from Office Max to store all my Star Wars stuff and my excess Starting Lineups. These boxes work great. They are study and it looks nice when everything is uniform. You can get the boxes at any office store and you should be able to get 10 of them for $10.00. I just put everything in the order I saw fit and wrote them down and have a list so I know where everything is. The loose figures are displayed on a shelf in this room and things look nice. If you are not lucky to have a storage room then perhaps one of those mini-storage units would be an idea. I am not sure how much they are, but I am planning on getting one and I think it will work out just fine.

billfremore
03-20-2002, 04:46 PM
Actually my soon-to-be wife told me that once we buy a house, we will be displaying the Star wars stuff all over the house.

Man I lucked out when I found her...

...probably why I'm marrying her :D

Sith Lord 0498
03-20-2002, 06:04 PM
Really??? I had the exact opposite happen to me. My fiancee told me that when we get married and get our own house that all my Star Wars stuff is staying in my room and out of sight. Guess it's a good thing I was planning to turn either the attic or basement into one big museum/archive! :)

At least she doesn't hate Star Wars. Last couple months or so, I've been drawing her over to the Dark Side of the Force. Y'know what they say: "Once you start down the dark path..."

master jedi
03-20-2002, 06:27 PM
I'm pretty much at the point where I'm just setting stuff in misc. places of my room 'cause I have no other place to put them.

Amanamike
03-20-2002, 07:04 PM
I have a closet and 3 wall hanging glass window display cases for my figs. And I still need more space.

Rollo Tomassi
03-20-2002, 08:18 PM
First off, I would NEVER see something I wanted/needed and then choose NOT to buy it because I thought "Gee, I've no room for that at home." That's never going to happen.

When I lived at my parents house, It was basically piles of boxes with vehicles precariously balanced on top, carded figures hanging in rows on the walls, and loose figures standing wherever there was room. I had about two square feet of floor space to get from my door, to my bed, to my TV.

When I left for college, I packed up 80% of my stuff back in the original boxes and put them in huge boxes in my parents basement. For all my carded figures, I put them in banker boxes and stacked those next to the bigger boxes. I took all my loose figures with me and displayed those at the apartment. When I got new vehicles (like the Episode 1 stuff) I would display it for a few months then eventually box it up and take it to my parents house, to be replaced with newer vehicles.

In anticipation of AOTC, I recently boxed up my TIE Interceptor, Fambaa, Carbon Freeze Chamber, AT-ST/Speederbike, and most of my figures.

In addition to Star Wars figures/vehicles, I also display Transformers (both RID and G1 I've bought on eBay), LEGOs, and Super hero figures (Right now I have Spiderman, Daredevil and Beta Ray Thor). I have limited space on top of my entertainment center and a tiny amount of room on my computer desk, so I have to rotate often. I don't have giant modular shelving because I have a prominent poster collection and theatre sized poster frames dominate my walls. I have six alone in the living room and four more in the bedroom, plus another three in my daughter's room. The only shelving I DO have is filled with my giant DVD collection.

On my Entertainment center I have a AAT tank, Omega Prime, Vintage G1 Superion and Skywarp, Vintage Jabba on his dias, Lego Jedi Starfighter, Imperial Shuttle, Sith Infiltrator, and A-Wing.

On my desk I have a Micro Machine Action Fleet Radiant VII and MTT, A clone trooper , the Gungan from the Fambaa with his arm around the Clone, and R3-T7. Plus the three super heroes mentioned above.

Eventually, when I get a house, I plan on having a SW/Transformers/Super-hero shrine to house the 30+ banker boxes of figures and 15 giant boxes of vehicles and playsets stuck languishing in my parents basement.

SithDroid
03-20-2002, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
First off, I would NEVER see something I wanted/needed and then choose NOT to buy it because I thought "Gee, I've no room for that at home." That's never going to happen.

Eventually, when I get a house, I plan on having a SW/Transformers/Super-hero shrine to house the 30+ banker boxes of figures and 15 giant boxes of vehicles and playsets stuck languishing in my parents basement.

I agree Rollo. If I see something I need I pick it up because you never know if you'll ever see it again, especially those darn exclusives.:frus:

When I get a house of my own someday I plan on doing the same thing. I want one room, probably the basement, dedicated to SW with Dioramas everywhere displaying my collection.

One other room will be dedicated to everything else: G.I.Joes, Transformers, and Superhero stuff with Comic Books lining the walls.

Oh, I can't wait until that day.

Hellzer
03-21-2002, 12:23 AM
For some reason, when I was almost completely out of available space in my bedroom, I decided it would be cool to start collecting all of the SW 12" figures that come with either beasts or vehicles. I guess I also fall under the “buy before you think” category. Currently, they’re all taking up residence on the few open spots left on my floor, except for the Luke/Scout Trooper speeder bikes (which don’t deserve such treatment). Oddly enough, every time I look down at them, they remind me of my grandmother’s collection of extremely creepy ceramic dogs that she’s been displaying in a similar manner for many years now. Must be the subconscious mind at work.

I also fear that I might have to take drastic measures in order to fit the upcoming 12” Luke/Tauntaun (once I get it on clearance;) ) and any possible AOTC stuff coming out in the near future. Maybe I should try getting rid of that cumbersome bed taking up all the primo floor space.

stillakid
03-21-2002, 12:36 AM
If I want it, I buy it then worry about where to put it later. But I am approaching maximum density on storage space and AOTC stuff will definitely send it over the threshhold. I don't know where I'll put it, but I'll keep getting it.

GeneralKenobi
03-21-2002, 12:38 PM
Room need more room...

Lman316
03-21-2002, 02:16 PM
My room is basically surrouned by Star Wars toys. They're on top of my television, my cable box, computer desk, my extra television, two shelves of my bookcase, on my stereo speakers, a little dresser-type thing next to my T.V., and on the headboard (which is actually one of those that has the little cubby-holes and the big shelf on top).
I have room left to put stuff up, but it is very very limited. I think I'm going to have to pull stuff down and put up the AOTC stuff once I get it - I'll just have to make the sacrifice.
Once I win the lottery (yeah, right :crazed: ) I'll just buy a huge house and dedicate one (maybe two) giant room(s) to all of this stuff. But odds are it still wouldn't be enough space, once I get everything that I want...

dr_evazan22
03-21-2002, 05:23 PM
I've been planning my "lottery winning house" also. I'd have a den/study designed in Tatooine/Jabba's palace colors, and I would get a life size Han in Carbonite to hang on the wall. And a killer TV/video/DVD room to watch all the SW DVD's to come.