PDA

View Full Version : New playsets, and don't skimp on the doors! (merged)

JediTricks
08-28-2001, 10:19 AM
I want new playsets in the Star Wars line, something WAY better than the junk from Ep 1, even better than the POTF2 ones, and I don't care if they're modular or one gigantic playset (ok, I care, modular would be cooler, but ANYTHING to get new playsets!). There's SO much to do in ths line, no more cardboard stuff, and there's one specific thing I really, REALLY want...

MORE OPENING DOORS! They can open out, in, sliding sideways, sliding upwards, downwards, ANYTHING! Just get more opening doors! It's so pathetic when the best Star Wars playset Hasbro's ever done is a friggin' carrying case!

JediCole
08-28-2001, 11:13 AM
I would have to agree though space restrictions preclude me wanting any playsets. Don't do them on the cheap. And more importantly, don't include figures exclusive to the set. I am fortunate with the B-Wing and TIE Interceptor in that the figures included are little different than existing ones, so I was not forced to buy a vehicle I didn't want to get a figure I did want (as with the Royal Starship/red R2 unit). I was considering the Carbon Freeze Chamber when Hasbro saved my bacon by releasing a carded Bespin Guard that looked better than the Carbon Freeze version. I missed out on the Y-Wing Pilot, but care little as he is not all that great looking anyway.
The only playset I would be willing to plop down money for if it included a figure pack-in would be a MosEisley Cantina set and only if it was done right. But if we are to have playsets, make them worth having, not just an excuse for a so-called playset.

evenflow
08-29-2001, 09:57 AM
First, I must say PLEASE include exclusive figures to the set. This does give us an oppurtunity to get some stuff we may not normally get.

Playsets I want:

Dagobah Playset - Yoda's hut, with swamp and all the works. The swamp creature could be included.

Trash Compactor - fill it with trash, and of course the monster, with walls that can close.

Obi-Dan Kenobi
08-29-2001, 03:17 PM
Dagabah playset would rule, maybe with an extra-slimy R2. I really appreciated the Freezing Chamber Playset and I wonder why a 3 3/4" version was never made in the old line. I totally agree with you JT, on opening doors. Some new Death Star Playsets would be great. I'd want a blast door like the one on the old Micro Collection Death Star Playset that would close. I thought that was so cool. Pehaps some kind of small Ewok villiage playset, featuring the spit for roasting Han on and the Imperial Helmet drum set? I'd buy it.

Rollo Tomassi
09-02-2001, 05:32 PM
If they do make playsets, I'll sacrifice price for quality. Whihc means I'll pay and extra $15, 20, 40 if the playset KICKS TUSH. If you're gonna put out a cantina playset for $25 and it looks like $25 then forget it. if you want to put out a super nice $75-$100 cantina set. I'll gripe about the price, sure, but I'll be thankful that the set rocks and isn't a crappy cardboard fold together thing....

Here's an idea. Why doesn't hasbro or Lucasfilm, if they don't want to risk it, liscense out high end detailed playsets to a smaller company who can produce really nice diorama sets for die hard collectors? I'd be willing to pay a little more for quality...

Lobito
09-04-2001, 08:38 PM
Ok here we go:

1.- Ewok Village
2.- Dagobagh playset (yep, Yoda's home)
3.- Death Star
4.- Jedi Council Playset...this one would not have all that play value, but we could surely use it for all our jedi council members.
5.- Jabbas Palace and Cantina done in plastic.

Sean the Hutt
09-06-2001, 07:39 PM
We need a rebel command center! With a light up holographic death star in the middle. A whole bunch of light up acrylic star charts, and some voice chip technology ala the simpsons playsets. Like " the death star will be in range in 10 seconds..." and some backgound chatter between the pilots durring the battle.

JediTricks
09-07-2001, 06:34 AM
Yes we do, but how do you plan on incorporating doors into this? ;)

hairless chewie
09-07-2001, 10:07 AM
The possibilities are endless. Being that the ewoks are sadly under used in our universe, an Ewok Catapult playset with Catapult and crew, large vine used to trip the AT-ST and snare the speeder bikes, trees with logs on vines to smash the AT-ST, large supported log for Ewoks to throw rocks off of, and lastly a vine attached to one of the trees for Chewie to make like Tarzan and swing to an AT-ST with the two Ewoks. Release it separately along with the AT-ST/speeder bike set and the ewok nuts(like myself) will have our Ewok fix!

Sean the Hutt
09-07-2001, 07:52 PM
Doors? we don't need no stinkin doors! Just kidding you want a rebel command center with doors no problem. There could be doors to the hanger bay playset. A door to the medical bay playset. a door to the bathroom, and oh yeah the obligatory GI Joe style one man brig. Is that enough doors?

JediTricks
09-08-2001, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Sean the Hutt
Doors? we don't need no stinkin doors! Just kidding you want a rebel command center with doors no problem. There could be doors to the hanger bay playset. A door to the medical bay playset. a door to the bathroom, and oh yeah the obligatory GI Joe style one man brig. Is that enough doors? NEVER! ;)

bigbarada
09-08-2001, 05:35 PM
Playsets I'd love to see:

Cantina larger than the cardboard cutout piece of crap, with an entry foyer and booths galore so my figures can plot against each other in private.

Hoth Command Center with light-up computer screens, a sick-bay with a slot for the Bacta Chamber, and a portion of the hanger large enough to hold one X-Wing, Y-Wing or Snowspeeder. (Asking for a hanger section big enough to hold a Millenium Falcon is like begging Hasbro NOT to make this playset.)

Cloud City with the Dining Hall, Torture Chamber, Detention Cell and hallways connecting them all. Even better make it three levels with an elevator connecting them all. With the "roof" of the playset a landing pad for the Slave 1. I've got a schematic roughed out in my head for this one, I'll try to draw it out and post it here.

bigbarada
09-09-2001, 04:39 AM
No this isn't the Cloud City Playset I mentioned earlier, it's something much cooler! This is actually a concept drawing of a playset Kenner planned to make around the 1985-86 timeframe. This was presumably presented to Lucasfilm, but I guess the line was on the verge of cancellation so it was never approved.

How cool would this thing be if Hasbro decided to pick up were Kenner left off?

Lobito
09-10-2001, 02:18 PM
One thing is for sure...that would be one BIG son of a gun playset, its even bigger than the AT AT!!!

Anyway, if they make it i'll buy it. Lets hope its around $40-$50 bucks.

Eternal Padawan
09-10-2001, 05:43 PM
That outpost is awesome!!! Bigb...I'd definitely pick one of those up. It's sure to cost more than $50 lobito...

bigbarada
09-10-2001, 07:29 PM
I would assume the price would fall in the $200-$300 range, assuming it was made as a vintage quality playset. $75-$100 if it was made like the "fall apart after ten minutes" Ep1 playsets.

Rollo Tomassi
03-21-2002, 03:51 PM
Look at all these cool ideas, Hasbro!

How about a Lars Moisture Farm garage playset with a oil bath for 3PO and a "pop-up" hologram of Leia in the floor.

And room for the unreleased lars Family Speeder in the corner...

DarthMaulSithLord
03-28-2002, 07:07 AM
I want an Endor Base playset! Three sets connect to each other to form it:

- Endor Bunker w/Scout Trooper..
- Landing Platform/AT-AT Docking Station w/Imperial Officer.
- Death Star Shield Generator w/Imperial Stormtrooper.

And this should be to scale! Sounds, lights and everything!

:D

Lman316
03-29-2002, 03:28 PM
That Theed Hanger thing...........yeesh, what was I thinkin' when buying that? I guess it's alright because I just have stuff displayed on there (yet, I have pieces of tape placed on there to keep stuff together - that should never have to happen!). I was expecting a lot better though. It should be able to stay together without support.
But I am all for better playsets. I have said many times that I own those cardboard sets: the cantina and Jabba's palace. Don't get me wrong, they're okay, and I like them, but I would definitely go for something better, something plastic that could hold up, and actually had something to them.
I guess if they don't ever make any other playsets, I'll have to see about getting one of those Ultrarama displays - they look really cool, and you can put any scene behind the figures.
So, c'mon, Hasbro. You're losin' some money right here.

RooJay
04-15-2002, 10:13 PM
Anyone else notice how the Jurassic Park line includes pretty huge playsets at reasonable prices? Yes, I'm sure the Star Wars license was more expensive than JP, but Hasbro has to break even, and start turning a profit on it at some point (haven't they already?). Soon as that happens they'll have no more excuse but to give us more playsets!

RooJay
04-15-2002, 10:15 PM
Some of the Ep. 1 Action Fleet playsets would make excellent 3 3/4" playsets if they were just scaled up with a few more accessories thrown in.

Wolfwood319
04-15-2002, 10:17 PM
A lot of those JP playsets are just one building with a bunch of electric fences. That's kind of what we're getting with the Arena, a main portion with "fences" or in this case, that cardboard stuff.

I want a scale Endor Bunker, better cantina, better Jabba's palace, Watto's Shop, Naboo street.

DarthMaulSithLord
04-16-2002, 12:46 PM
I didn't see much pics of the Arena. As a matter of fact i've only seen one and it was a REALLY small picture, but from what i'm hearing now, it's going to be another "pop-up-cardboard-smaller-than-it-should-be-cheap-o-playset". Damn shame that Hasbro's wasting our time (and money) with this. They need to think big! They can easily make a big(ger) Arena. It doesn't take that much plastics judging from the trailers. Of course it needs to be scaled down, but it has to be somewhat in scale with the figs. An arena floor is easy, one or two pieces of round plastic, some walls and seats and voilá. And if they are making it a combined set like that crappy Hoth Base where they chucked in some items from the movie in midget golf scale then they are really wasting a good opportunity (again).

Oh man, this is really frustrating.

:frus:

Wolfwood319
04-16-2002, 01:15 PM
Well, the main portion of the playset is plastic, with 2 big doors, a balcony, and some other stuff. Then there's a bunch of those columns, and some other good stuff as well. Its not all cardboard like the pop-up cantina.

Taichi
04-17-2002, 06:18 PM
Hey, I think the only playset that would please JT would be a big old pile of doors!!!

DarthMaulSithLord
04-17-2002, 08:47 PM
Maybe he's a real "opener"?

:p

Taichi
04-18-2002, 09:17 AM
Heh....SW Toy collectors......and the lame jokes we tell......on the next Montel........

Flembar
04-19-2002, 01:23 AM
I know a lot of collectors really love playsets and want more.... but even 20+ years ago as a kid, the Kenner/Hasbro playsets left me cold. Death Star, stardestroyer, POTF2 detention block, carbon freezing chamber, etc etc.... they always struck me as silly and uninspired. I love the ships and the figures, but always preferred to set them up myself in my own environs than use Kenner's playsets

I dunno.... maybe by even posting my thoughts on this (and using the old 1 letter=10,000 fans logic) Im screwing the rest of you guys who like 'em.... sorry. but I dont really have any need to see more playsets.

maybe its just that theyve never made a good one (I really cant think of one I cared for.... PLEASE help me out here (what am I forgetting?)--unless you count the queen's starship, mill falcon, etc--which I love--but I think of as ships).

IMHO.... Id just as soon hasbro spend its time and money producing new characters (ie additional cantina aliens, expanded universe) and ships (sith infiltrator) than silly looking, kiddie playsets that look better suited to playschool kiddie toys than really sophisticated, realistic, and just plain COOL toys like star wars toyd usually are

if you wanna see what I think a playset SHOULD look like (and damn straight Id buy it) check out this guys work (got this link of the cutomizing/dioramas forum):

http://membres.lycos.fr/bossk/

anyhow.. you are all 2 cents richer.

peace out.

-Flembar-

:crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

RooJay
04-19-2002, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the link Flembar, but I'm pretty sure most of us can't read French! A little help maybe?

Flembar
04-19-2002, 08:09 PM
just click the guy's links in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

the chambre de congelation is the carbon freezing chamber

the COCKPIT DU FAUCON MILLENAIRE is the Mill Falcon cockpit

youll have to figure out for yourself what Barge de Jabba is...

au revoir...

DarthMaulSithLord
04-20-2002, 08:39 PM
Just click the English flag to the right.

Damn i want that Freezing Chamber diorama!

:D

CHOWbacca8
05-05-2002, 01:37 AM
Man i love the idea of new playsets.

here my list of stuff hasbro needs to get cracking on

1: Imperial Garrison: That on in the previous post and link looked awsome, i wouldn't mind shelling $100 for that, it would be great. even without sound and lights, it would be cool. be sure to include. Emperior's Thrown Room (yeah out of place, but supposley they all have one), command center, troop barracks, prison block, rotating turbo laser that have room for a gunner to sit in, and maybe a garrage for AT-ST, speederbikes, and cruisemissle. And doors to every where. I'm really waiting for this, all i got now is a gi joe base from 1993.

2: Rebel base, either Hoth or endor. Hoth would be cool. with command room, door to medic lab with spot for bacta tank, and part of the hanger for a snowspeeder

3: Executor Star Destroyer bridge.

4: New e-wok village. hey just re-release the vintage mold.

5: Mos Eisley street

Eternal Padawan
05-14-2002, 12:04 AM
I would like a companion piece to the vintage Ewok Village that stacks taller trees and huts on top of the older base trees, but also stand alone for those that don't have the vintage village.

DarthMaulSithLord
05-15-2002, 04:56 AM
They'd never do something like that.

:)

stillakid
05-15-2002, 09:26 AM
Key Door Playsets we should have:

The Entrance to Jabba's Palace, Tatooine, complete with the "welcome droid" thing.

Mos Eisley "street" scene, where 3PO and R2 hide out in ANH.

ALL-IN-ONE ;) Death Star with oodles of doors everywhere (hangar bay, trash compactor, elevator, Emperor's Throne area, diagonal "blast doors",etc.)

ALL-IN-ONE Star Destroyer with exterior trash door, underside hangar door, various other.

Echo Base hangar bay Shield Door.

A much much improved Endor Bunker blast door with adjoining hallway.

Endor "gantry" with elevator door and elevator.

Nemodian command ship with "insert Qui Gon's lightsaber and the door glows" feature.

DarthMaulSithLord
05-16-2002, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by stillakid

ALL-IN-ONE ;) Death Star with oodles of doors everywhere (hangar bay, trash compactor, elevator, Emperor's Throne area, diagonal "blast doors",etc.)

Don't pull that face on me!

:crazed:

WesleySr
06-10-2002, 11:47 PM
We need playsets. We have all these figures and only a couple of playsets. PLEASE MAKE SOME PLAYSETS. Heck, you can even use the vintage molds. Dagobah and the Ewok Village are a must. Anyone else have any suggestions???

dingodad
06-11-2002, 07:26 PM
Speaking of old molds, Kenner made a swamp thing playset back in (?) that would make a good jedi training playset. it had a cave and a muck pond and a tree with a climbing vine. i used one in my Dagobah diorama. The ghost busters HQ also would make a nice Theed palace playset. The batcave/Wayne Mannor would also make a good castle grunwald if hasbro would make an indiana jones line, doggonit!

dingodad
06-11-2002, 07:31 PM
I would also like to see a cantina band stage with an exclusive seated bith at the hibachi dealy. Since hasbro and tiger are related, they could use their "hitclip" technology and put both songs in there with it. maybe even swivel stands to make them dance.

WesleySr
06-11-2002, 08:22 PM
I just thought of a good one. Jedi Council Chamber with 12 seats and all 12 members with the joints like cantina greedo and soft capes for the ULTIMATE diorama. They could break them up into 2 or 3 packs.

abell748
06-12-2002, 08:44 AM
Any playset would be nice. The playsets from the vintage line where the best (no matter how many times they reused the Land of the Jawas base). I do have some hope, the Arena playset LOOKS cool.