PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with droid names?

stormie
03-21-2002, 01:10 PM
I sure am. R2-D2, easy. C-3PO, again, easy. 4-LOM, IG-88, getting a little more complicated, but still easy to remember due to repetition. Now throw in R5-D4, 8-D8, EV-9D9, 21-B, FX-7, and my eyes start to swim. I can obviously remember them (save where the hyphen goes), but it takes effort. Okay, so now we're starting to get even more droids with Ep. I, POTJ, and now Ep. II. I can't for the life of me remember any of these droids names. There's the silver C-3PO that starts with a 'T', the blue and yellow R-whatever droid with a 'B' in the name, the black droid with a 'Q' in the name, and now the clear-domed and pyramidal-domed droids in the latest POTJ waves, which I can't even take a stab at naming. I even read that that red droid that came with the Queen's ship has a name. Ach! I know it's not a memory problem, since I can quite easily remember that Ponda Baba is Walrus Man, and Momaw Nadon is Hammerhead, among others. Is there such a thing as number dyslexia? Or is this just a big, cruel joke perpetrated by Hasbro and Lucasfilm to drive the older (more senile) collectors bonkers? Why not names like "Gonk Droid" or "Death Star Droid?" Much, much easier to remember.:)

Or maybe it's just me, since I can never seem to get the name of that cleaning product they sell in the states; 206, 305, 209, or something like it. I know it's got a zero in the middle. ;)

stillakid
03-21-2002, 01:54 PM
Formula 409

Then of course, Kelloggs has the cereal Product 19
There's Pier 1 Imports
Big 5 Sporting Goods
Phillips 66

Rollo Tomassi
03-21-2002, 02:14 PM
Docking Bay 327
THX-1138
3720 -1
Docking Bay 94
17,000?!?
Red 5
TK-421
OOM-9
TC-14
R2-B1
R2-R9
R2-A6
R3-T7
R2-Q3
R4-M9
R5-D4
U-3PO
R-3PO
K-3PO
R4-P17

JetsAndHeels
03-21-2002, 02:41 PM
10,000 Maniacs
101 Dalmations
102 Dalmations
10 things I hate about you
"10" by Pearl Jam
99 bottles of beer on the wall
3 Musketeers
100 Grand
20/20
7 up
"15 Minutes" starring Robert Deniro
"The 13th Warrior" starring Antonio Banderas
San Francisco 49ers
Philadephia 76ers
route 66
5th avenue

Ok I will stop now

JediTricks
03-21-2002, 04:49 PM
Yes, there is a numerical version of dyslexia, my dad has it.

As for the droids' numbers, I remember most of them after a while, but it takes a little repetition (just viewing the carded figures over and over) and it doesn't hurt to have a listing of some sort around, even if you just make it up in a TXT file in your computer.

dr_evazan22
03-21-2002, 05:53 PM
Jango don't forget that AWESOME 80's song:

99 Luft Balloons

German bands rock!

Too bad "Der Komissar" doesn't have a number in it.

Uh Oh!

billfremore
03-21-2002, 05:58 PM
RU-OK?

It does get a little confusing to remember who's who after a while.

What is the name of the red astrodroid that comes with the Royal Starship anyways?

Rollo Tomassi
03-22-2002, 07:09 AM
The Mandalorian Battle Droid 303A-FE77...

The little red droid is R2-R9. Don't ask me who came up with that one, but it's become the accepted title.

stormie
03-22-2002, 11:44 AM
303A-FE77?
Yeah, right. Like I'll ever be able to remember that!

I also remember that the names for C-3PO and R2-D2 were changed on old foreign release cards to totally different names...like I5P6 and J6B8 or something (you know I can't remember). Sound like Bingo numbers to me.

Apparently some of you don't have any of the trouble with these names that I do...show-offs! ;)

Deoxyribonucleic
03-22-2002, 02:05 PM

haHA!

JetsAndHeels
03-22-2002, 02:11 PM
Yes I remember that song, dr evazan!!
I should have remembered that one on my list.

stillakid
03-22-2002, 02:30 PM
867-5309

For a good time, for a good time call!

Deoxyribonucleic
03-22-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
867-5309

For a good time, for a good time call!

OMG!

ROFL!

I forgot about that one...thanks stillakid, that will be in my head now ALL DAY at work. Maybe I'll pass it on to others and then soon, the whole world will have it in their heads, silently singing it to themselves until they get a lil voice that says, "CALL IT" you know you always wanted to, just to see if anyone picks up." and then the whole world will call 867-5309 and all the phone lines across the earth will overflow, the internet will collapse and we'll be left in the dark, back in the middle ages and we'll all be singing "867530niiiiiiiiinennnneeee, like in Whoville when the whole town sings together. And then we will all realize that we have this in common and all wars and fighting over differences will end and we will have WORLD PEACE! Until we all realize the phone lines are dead and the internet has collapsed except in one house in Toledo OH. And we will all rush to this one house in Toledo OH, to get our fix of the "web"...to order Star Wars figures or edible underwear, whatever our fetishes are, and in this mad rush we begin to push at each other, to push our way closer to "THE ONE" who still has internet access, and fighting will break out and war will break out and we will be in the same place as before except there will be no phone lines and only "THE ONE" with internet access.

The End

stillakid
03-22-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic

OMG!

ROFL!

I forgot about that one...thanks stillakid, that will be in my head now ALL DAY at work. Maybe I'll pass it on to others and then soon, the whole world will have it in their heads, silently singing it to themselves until they get a lil voice that says, "CALL IT" you know you always wanted to, just to see if anyone picks up." and then the whole world will call 867-5309 and all the phone lines across the earth will overflow, the internet will collapse and we'll be left in the dark, back in the middle ages and we'll all be singing "867530niiiiiiiiinennnneeee, like in Whoville when the whole town sings together. And then we will all realize that we have this in common and all wars and fighting over differences will end and we will have WORLD PEACE! Until we all realize the phone lines are dead and the internet has collapsed except in one house in Toledo OH. And we will all rush to this one house in Toledo OH, to get our fix of the "web"...to order Star Wars figures or edible underwear, whatever our fetishes are, and in this mad rush we begin to push at each other, to push our way closer to "THE ONE" who still has internet access, and fighting will break out and war will break out and we will be in the same place as before except there will be no phone lines and only "THE ONE" with internet access.

The End

Hmm? It's so crazy it just might work...

and, I just happened to go to school in Toledo, Ohio. Odd that you would pick that city...coincidence, or perhaps something's afoot? :sur:

Turbowars
03-22-2002, 07:25 PM
How about long and short form 1040ez?

stillakid
03-22-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by turbowars
How about long and short form 1040ez?

http://ftp.fedworld.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040ez.pdf :greedy: :dead:

Deoxyribonucleic
03-23-2002, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by stillakid

Hmm? It's so crazy it just might work...

and, I just happened to go to school in Toledo, Ohio. Odd that you would pick that city...coincidence, or perhaps something's afoot? :sur:

Whoa that IS weird!

The reason I picked it is because I was watching M*A*S*H at the moment and Klinger was on the tube when I looked over and then I had Toledo OH in my mind hehe

:D

JediTricks
03-23-2002, 02:14 AM
ok you guys, let's at least TRY to stay on topic.

Rollo, nice droid name, funny how it spells "BOBA FETT". ;)

Rollo Tomassi
03-23-2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
ok you guys, let's at least TRY to stay on topic.

Rollo, nice droid name, funny how it spells "BOBA FETT". ;)

Oh! It does? I had no idea... (whistling):sur:

;)

As far as remembering astromechs, each R# corresponds to a different shape of their head.
R1s are friggin huge compared to regular astromechs EG The never made fan choice R1-G4.
R2's are dome shaped. EG R2-D2, R2-B1, R2-R9, R2-Q3
R3's are clear dome shaped (so you can see all the inner parts) EG R3-T7, the AOTC sneak peek figure.
R4's have a cylindrical conehead shape. EG R4-M9
R5's uhhhh...look like R5-D4. EG...never mind.
There are also R6 and R7 droids, but they are EU for the most part and probably wont see toys made out of them.

So once you see their head, you only have to remember the last part of their name. Easy, no?

LTBasker
03-23-2002, 02:16 PM
You catch on after awhile, sometimes the names are weird though, like 8D8.

Btw, Rollo, believe it or not, the best example for an R5 head on a figure is the vintage R5. :sur:

Bel-Cam Jos
03-25-2002, 07:01 PM
See, there's a perfectly easy way to determine droids by letter.

R = astromech
C = protocol
I = assassin
F = medical
2 = medical (hmm...)
E = torture
8 = uh, torture
G = gonk

So, there you have it! Easy! Or is that, EZ?

Favorite license plates:
IMZ1B4U
IH8U
RUZ1SIM

Or not.

JediTricks
03-25-2002, 09:31 PM
Now explain "TC-14". :p

JEDIpartner
03-25-2002, 10:02 PM
10cc?

Seriously though... I've just been referring to the new ones as "the preview droid" or "that new astro droid". I can't remember the names.

Deoxyribonucleic
03-25-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
See, there's a perfectly easy way to determine droids by letter.

R = astromech
C = protocol
I = assassin
F = medical
2 = medical (hmm...)
E = torture
8 = uh, torture
G = gonk

8 = torture assistant or...
8 = droid under duress to perform torture for fear of having torture performed on itself by the "E" droid.

No seriously though, that's a great list BCJ :D

I've never really put it in that perspective and it works perfectly :)

stormie
03-26-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
...I've just been referring to the new ones as "the preview droid" or "that new astro droid". I can't remember the names.

Glad to finally see I'm not alone. ;)
I also use a lot of nicknames for the ones I can't remember, including:

Black R2 (or Imperial R2)
Silver 3PO
White 3PO (beats the heck out of saying 'Echobase Protocol Droid')
Blue and Yellow R2
Red R2
Clear R2 or Yellow R2 (when 'preview droid' ceases to be a 'preview')
etc.

I also sometimes seem to just be using the first letters/numbers of many (e.g., EV, R2, R5) ...similar to how we make nicknames out of our own truncated names. Though this really doesn't help when the difference appears in the last part of names (e.g., R2-D2, etc.).

As you can clearly see, I've put a lot of thought into this matter, as it concerns me that I can't remember these names...especially when many others can. I believe I've just discovered my sensitivity to growing old! :) ;)

r4_m9
03-27-2002, 03:37 PM
I wan't really confused before this post but now my eyes are swimming. I think I'm going to change my user id before i pass out.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-27-2002, 06:45 PM
Be a robot racist and just call them all "droids." Then you don't have to respect them as individuals but stereotype them as stupid, lazy, globs of grease.

As for explaining TC-14, that's easy, JT. She's a girl droid!

Our droid names here at SSG:
B-CJ3
55G
DMGME-1
L-CXR
RLO-TMC
E-JRG0
TYK-0
R4-M9 (All too easy...)

Any others you can come up with?