PDA

View Full Version : Rebel Dream found at WM

Sidiously Darth
03-22-2002, 01:09 AM
I picked up a copy around Midnight, March 22. They're selling for $4.88. This book's release date is March 26. Wal-Mart finally has something I wanted.:rolleyes:

Rollo Tomassi
03-22-2002, 06:54 AM
Another one already? I haven't even started the last one "Dark Journey". I guess they are trying to get them out before the April 23rd deluge. No room for EU books after THAT hits...

Bel-Cam Jos
03-23-2002, 09:00 AM
I haven't even seen Dark Journey in a discount store (a la Wal*Mart, Chapter 11-Mart, or Target [which, does target sell ANY Star Wars books anymore?]) yet. I can't find a Waldenbooks less than 25 miles away from me to take advantage of the Big Ol' Sales there. I can't find an open Social Studies position to teach. And I don't really even like the NJO stories! Now I sound like whiny Luke... :o

Sniff. "These, are teardrops." - ALF :cry:

12inch Lando
03-25-2002, 04:57 AM
I can't find this book anywhere! I know it's not supposed to be out until Tuesday but I usually get lucky. What's on the cover of this one anyway?

12inch Lando
03-26-2002, 04:46 AM
Cool! I found it a few hours ago. I love the original cover art. No 20 year old pub photo repaints.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-26-2002, 06:35 PM
In the last 3-4 days, I've found that new Jedi Aprentice Special Edition, 2 JAs (#17, 18), DJ, and RD. Wow. Now I gotta read 'em!

(Just gimme a couple days...)

browndroid
03-26-2002, 07:05 PM
what set does rebel dream belong to?

Rollo Tomassi
03-26-2002, 09:25 PM
Well supposedly Rebel Dream and Rebel Dawn are part of a duology called Behind Enemy Lines, but apparently they dropped that part of the title. That's fine with me, though.

browndroid
03-26-2002, 09:28 PM
ohhhh, i think i have rebel dawn

Bel-Cam Jos
04-01-2002, 10:54 AM
I just finished Dark Journey yesterday, and it was, as is the standard assessment for me lately, okay. It was kinda cool to read about mainly one character instead of every single SW person created, but I tired quickly of the ooh-she's-dangerously-close-to-the-Dark-Side angle. Sigh. These last 3 years before E3 will be more of the same... :(

But according to the cover timeline of books inside Rebel Dream, it says the book is titled Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream, with Enemy Lines II coming in August. Yet the cover simply says Rebel Dream. Hmm.

Cotasnoova
04-01-2002, 11:59 AM
I got rebel dreama few days ago and must say that I think it is a good book. I'm not going to say what goes down and spoil it for anyone, but as far as story line...I can't wait till August to find out what happens.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-03-2002, 01:20 PM
I preferred RD to DJ or TAS. I always enjoyed books where Wedge gets more attention (except the Stackpole X-Wing series). The counter-counter intelligence aspects were great. It gets a "pretty good," which is better than the "okays" I've been dishing out recently.

But I think I now know why I'm really disappointed in the whole New Jedi Order series. It has no focus. It has no objective. The trilogy books (Bounty Hunter Wars, Black Fleet Crisis, Thrawn trilogy, Corellian trilogy, etc.) had some ending in mind. Due to the uncertainty surrounding E2 and E3, I realize the subject matter has to be a little ambiguous, so it doesn't contradict what the Prequels will show us, but it still needs more than "cliffhangers" that aren't all that suspenseful. And guess what? Only THREE MORE YEARS OF THIS TO GO! Oh, no... :eek: :(

Rollo Tomassi
04-03-2002, 02:38 PM
A year and a half, actually. The fourth hardcover hits this fall, and the fifth and final hardcover comes out a year later. Of course, the fallout from this series will affect every SW novel from there on. So, in that sense, it will never end...

I really hope the next series focuses on Luke and Leia finding out about Naboo and Padme. There is closure waiting to happen and it could fill out a novel or three.

El Chuxter
04-03-2002, 03:06 PM
I wonder if Vergere might be able to shed a little bit of light on Anakin Skywalker, assuming she's only pretending to be loyal to the Vong. True, she can't help with anything that takes place after Cloak of Deception, but at least Luke and Leia could learn Anakin was a former slave from Mos Espa, Tatooine.

Rollo Tomassi
04-08-2002, 03:03 PM
Vergere would also know about the Naboo Invasion, and Palpatine's connection to all that since he was still a benevolent chancellor when she left. So she could definite;y be of some use in helping them track down the truth about their parents.

Redel Dream: Whoo Hoo! The Rebel Alliance is reborn! Sort of. That was cool. I am halfway through the book right now. It's very interesting. I'm in agreement with BelCam that this series is sort of spinning it's tires. i hope the finale will be worth all the waiting.

By the way, in the timeline at the beginning, they list a book called "Recovery" Did I miss something?

Cotasnoova
04-08-2002, 03:42 PM
I disagree with some of yall. I think this book series is awesome and is something that I have been waiting for for sometime. I really thought a lot of the 3 book series were short and without much meaning, (except Zahn books ofcourse). I tink this is great that the New Republic, which sucked, is gone. I like the idea of the galaxy being smashed. Not even Palpatine came through and changed the galaxy like this. It is great to see the Republic losing for a chance. All we have seen is them win win win. Now they are losing and having to put a little thought into what they are doing. I like the whole fact that the Rebel Alliance fought to make the New Republic, which was no different hardly in terms of political nonsense then the republic was before it fell. All that work for nothing.

Love these books. A whole lot better than prequel books with obi-wan ad anakin in my opinion, I still don't get that whole tree ship thing.

Rollo Tomassi
04-09-2002, 08:24 AM
Love these books. A whole lot better than prequel books with obi-wan ad anakin in my opinion, I still don't get that whole tree ship thing.

Ironically enough, that Anakin/Obi Wan/Tree Ship book is sort of the prequel to the whole New Jedi Order series...Vergere meets the Yuzhaan Vong in that book and goes away with them for 50+years.

solidjb
04-09-2002, 09:53 AM
By the way, in the timeline at the beginning, they list a book called "Recovery" Did I miss something?

This is an ebook available at amazon.com(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005U7X3/qid=1018363631/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_3/002-5495580-0295239)

I haven't read it, but I think it is supposed to be about Leia recovering from the injuries given to her by tsavong Lah at the end of Balance Point(?).

Bel-Cam Jos
04-09-2002, 10:24 AM
That contribution was solid, solidjb; solid. ;) I hadn't even noticed the book title, Rollo. I think it might be included in the paperback version of Balance Point, like the "Darth Maul: Saboteur" one in DM: Shadow Hunter was.

Cotasnoova
04-09-2002, 11:05 AM
IF ANY WANTS TO TRY THIS, I WILL TRY TO EMAIL THIS BOOK TO ANYONE AS AN ATTACHMENT FREE OF CHARGE. Just use my email address Forcepike1@comcast.net and I will try to send it out. It uses the free adobe book reader program. Simply emial me and I will try to get it to you. I do not know if it will work though.

THE Slayer
04-11-2002, 10:19 PM
I really like this new series also. But what I really would like is to see Vergere in the jedi battle in AOTC, even if in the background for like .5 seconds. That's just something I would like. Even in that would pretty much be impossible since she supposedly left the galaxy before all this AOTC stuff, but Gl doesn't care about EU,, does he?
I also think I would have liked rebel dream a lot more if I had part 2 to read right after it.

Rollo Tomassi
04-12-2002, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
That contribution was solid, solidjb; solid. ;) I hadn't even noticed the book title, Rollo. I think it might be included in the paperback version of Balance Point, like the "Darth Maul: Saboteur" one in DM: Shadow Hunter was.

WHAT?!? Now I have to buy paperbacks of the hardcovers I already bought to get the whole story? :mad: GRRRRRR... Who wrote "Recovery?"

Couple of Questions. ***SPOILERS!*** Do you think Rebel Stand will focus on Luke and the others on Coruscant? or do you think that storyline is leading into the fourth hardcover?

And does anyone think Anakin is still alive? When they burned his body, I was all "WHAT?!?!" because i thought they were going to bring him back somehow. But now I don't know how they would. The only thing I can think of is that when they recovered his body in that jelly Vong casket on the Worldship in Star by Star, that it wasn't really Anakin's body. It was some sort of Vong reconstruction made to look like him. And he's still comatose in some lab somewhere. What do you think?

Rollo Tomassi
04-12-2002, 01:09 PM
I was browsing Amazon.com and noticed Rebel Stand (according to them ) comes out in May, and the next paperback, Traitor, comes out in July. I thought Rebel Stand came out in August. What gives? And who is the "Traitor"?

THE Slayer
04-12-2002, 01:27 PM
Thairi is the traitor,,ok maybe not but that one jedi, the rabbit one, said that he believed that Anakin and Thairi would be the ones that could stop the vong, or something along those lines. And then Anakin has a vision of Tahiri becoming a dark jedi,, Luke takes her with him to Coruscant where he believes the dark side is growing, well what if luke's vision was about the future and not the present, Tahiri could somehow still turn into that sith Anakin saved her from becoming earlier. How you ask? The vong, of course maybe Anakin truly isn't dead and they use that to their advantage. That would be like the ultimate trump card for the poor little girl. And how does Luke not stop her from becoming a sith you ask. The vong. They seperate her from the rest of the jedi before they can stop her.

I don't know what book traitor follows but maybe it means traitor from the vong point of view,, i.e. Vergere.

Eternal Padawan
04-30-2002, 08:50 AM
Traitor, I just read, is about Jacen and Vergere. it looks like its a bookend to Jaina's story in Dark Journey. The covers are similar.

Where are these characters during the Yuuzhan Vong invasion. If they are pulling out all the obscure characters like the Hapans and Baron Fel, i want to see how these others are dealing with the crisis in their own way.

Callista. Bring her back in to ruffle feathers between Luke and Mara. She and Luke had a "connection" and that would upset Mara to see it's still working.

Kyle Katarn. Jedi Outcast? Maybe. I haven't played the game, but I would like to see some interaction between him and the rest of continuity. He seems to be off in his own little sub Star Wars universe

Dash Rendar/Corporate Sector. How are they affected by the invasion? It would also be interesting to see any kind of closure between the guilds in AOTC (IG bank clan, Techno Guild, Trade Federation, Commerce guild, etc) actually becoming the Corporate Sector as a reward for helping start the war. And Dash has been quiet since Shadows of the Empire.

Boba Fett and the other bounty hunters. What are they doing during all of this? Theres some potential double and triple crossing stories possible if you cross cranky 60+ year old, half digested bounty hunter whos all about the gadgets and technology with an evil invasion force who hates that kind of stuff. I would love to see a stand alone novel where Fett inadvertantly plays a pivotal role in the Republics eventual victory. Maybe he crosses paths with the Peace Brigade and saves a ship full of Jedi who go on to win the war. But they don't know he saved them, and he doesn't know who was on the ship he saved.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-30-2002, 06:29 PM
by Eternal Padawan:
Callista. Bring her back in to ruffle feathers between Luke and Mara. She and Luke had a "connection" and that would upset Mara to see it's still working.

Kyle Katarn. Jedi Outcast? Maybe. I haven't played the game, but I would like to see some interaction between him and the rest of continuity. He seems to be off in his own little sub Star Wars universe
Aren't both of those characters dead? I'm pretty sure Callista is, and I thought Kyle bit the dust, too. And no, I don't want clones of them! :mad:

Eternal Padawan
05-01-2002, 08:03 AM
last time I saw Callista was in Planet of Twilight when she ald Luke shared a wordless gaze and she turned and went with the nomads or whatever, trying to regain her force abilities. if she died, it was in a comic I never read and the NEW essential guide to Characters doesnt mention her being dead.

Kyle is the Star of the Dark Forces/jedi Kight/Jedi Outcast PC games. I doubt he's dead, but you never see him in other media interacting with everybody.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-25-2002, 11:09 PM
BTW Rollo, I just picked up the paperback of Cloak of Deception today, and there's no "Recovery" e-book included. Just a preview of a NJO book I've already read.
What? Oh, okay. Eternal P., can you forward the message to him?

:p

Eternal Padawan
07-26-2002, 03:44 PM
Pay attention! Rollo Tomassi was BANNED for inciting original thinking and tolerance and love for other races and cultures.

I think I'm going to start reffering to myself on occasion as "Rollo J. Tomassi" or "Mrs. Tomassi's only/eldest/favorite son." like Benjamin J. Grim AKA The Thing does in the funny books. :)

PS I think it's time someone started a "Traitor" thread since it's due out in a couple weeks. I'm interested in seeing whats going on with Jacen, Vergere and Anakin. it's about time they started resolvin' some issues before the end arrives!!

ROLLO!