PDA

View Full Version : Walmart is going full Force, 28ft of sw merchandise

Mr Sci Fi
03-22-2002, 03:28 AM
I was told by a friend that's a walmart manager that they will have atleast 28 feet of shelving reserved just for Star Wars Items this april/may. I thought for sure that the major retailers would cut back some due to the clearencing of alot of ep1 merchandise. I have not yet heard from any toysrus sources about how many feet they will have but I expect they will match the presentation that walmart will be putting on.

GeneralKenobi
03-22-2002, 03:54 AM
Wal-Mart is about the only place I can find anything nowadays. They will definitely be getting my business on the 23rd especially if they have that exclusive trailer.

Wolfwood319
03-22-2002, 04:54 AM
From what I've seen at the 2 local TRUs near me, Star Wars is getting one end shelf for AOTC figures, with vehicles on the bottom. My friend said they may expand if they get too much AOTC stuff in.

I'm sure AOTC figs will be everywhere and no one should have any difficulty finding any figure coming out within the next 6 months. All the Wal-Marts, Targets, TRU's, etc, will have loads of them come the 23rd.

dr_evazan22
03-22-2002, 10:11 AM
W-M will definitely be my first choice to purchase new fig's b/c they ahve lower prices- $6.44. TRU charges 6.99. That 50 cent diff will allow me to get more fig's! Plus I will be able to look for the Bomber and Snow Speeder.

SithDroid
03-22-2002, 12:35 PM
This time around, I'm only buying one of each on the first day. If history serves us correctly, they will all be clearanced down entually anyway, so I'll wait to get another set to open when they are cheap. Oh yes, WM or Target will be getting my business because 55 cents is a lot of savings when you times it by 23 figures ($12.65 in savings). That's almost two whole figures.

pthfnder89
03-22-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by SithDroid
This time around, I'm only buying one of each on the first day. If history serves us correctly, they will all be clearanced down entually anyway, so I'll wait to get another set to open when they are cheap. Oh yes, WM or Target will be getting my business because 55 cents is a lot of savings when you times it by 23 figures ($12.65 in savings). That's almost two whole figures.

Wal-Mart definitely has a better deal price wise iin the current POTJ figures. But aren't the AOTC figs all gonna retail for $5.99?
I would assume that WM and TRU would both have the same prices for these since they did when Ep1 came out. But then again, TRU never did lower it's POTJ prices to compete with WalMart, so maybe they'll try to keep the prices up.

SithDroid
03-22-2002, 03:54 PM
Suggested retail is $5.99. I have a feeling that TRU will keep them at $6.99 to make a huge profit and WM and Target will keep them at $6.44 to make a profit as well. Heck, I hope they are all gonna be $5.99, but I don't think this will be the case.

wicket5
03-22-2002, 04:02 PM
I talked to a tru manager today and he said the prices for aotc figures went down to 5.99. He also showed it to me on the computuer. So it looks as of tru finally put their prices down.

SithDroid
03-22-2002, 04:10 PM
Yea!!!!!!!!!! (insert dancing music here)

JEDIpartner
03-22-2002, 04:27 PM
You can't tell me that TRU is actually going to have these things for less than Wal*Mart! Well... if that is indeed the case... let the Snoopy dance start!

CrossWizard
03-22-2002, 05:34 PM
Sucks to be me, I have a bad feeling, as if TRU is gonna rip me off once again by raising the figures to $8, I mean, I remember before Episode 1 all the figures were $5.99 but the day the Epi 1 toys were released they got greedy and sold them at $7.99.

InsaneJediGirl
03-22-2002, 05:38 PM
Orginally Posted by JEDIpartnr
You can't tell me that TRU is actually going to have these things for less than Wal*Mart! Well... if that is indeed the case... let the Snoopy dance start!

5.99?Alright.Finally back down to POTF2 Prices :D

Wal-Mart wont let TRU beat them in prices.I wouldnt doubt if
the figures at WM were 5.97 just to beat TRU by two cents.

JediTricks
03-23-2002, 03:29 AM
I found the preview figs at Wal-mart for $6.12, so perhaps they'll be lowering E2 figure prices past that as well.

As for 28 feet, that sounds like a LOT of space unless they're counting each shelf separately (i.e., display space on pegs at 10 feet, display space on shelf directly under pegs at 10 more feet; and bottom shelf display space at 8 feet or something... I dunno, even that seems high), but I bet they'll have a LOT on April 23rd, and if TRU really lowers their price to $6, then WM will probably lower theirs to $5.84.

Mr Sci Fi
03-23-2002, 03:54 AM
28 ft means walking feet, not shelf feet. So the average shelf height is around 8' so the diemension will be 28'x 8'.

I was told today by a good tru source that tru will be actively matching prices. A price matching policy has been in effect for a while but it was a consumer triggered one ( you needed to ask them to match prices). This new policy will have employees supposely doing active competitor price shopping , they will supposely change the shelf price for the store and just not the previously per costumer pricing policy.

dr_evazan22
03-23-2002, 09:45 AM
I still have all my receipts from the past month or so, I'll need to go back to TRU and get that price difference then. That could be worth a whole new figure right there! Thanks Mr Sci Fi!

InsaneJediGirl
03-23-2002, 09:48 AM
Mr Sci Fi,

Are they doing that at all TRUs.I went to my local TRU two weeks ago with a Wal-Mart receipt for SW Action Figures.When I went
to go pay for the ones I picked up at TRU,I didnt get a price match because "Its not a sales ad".

LTBasker
03-23-2002, 10:01 AM
Oh well, I plan to do my shopping at Wal-Mart cause no matter what TRU will have higher prices, even if they lower their prices and Wal-Mart competes with them, lower prices at Wal-Mart! :cool:

Btw, I have an orange card from a figure from '95 from the Wal-Mart here, a price sticker is on it and POTF2 price was $4.99. :sur:

Jayspawn
03-23-2002, 11:34 AM
My Wal-Marts are pretty dead as far as having new Star Wars stuff. But 28 feet is great! I can't wait! It'll more than help this dry spell thats going on in my area.

Jedi_Rainman
03-24-2002, 03:08 AM
Actually...Wal-Mart is selling the AOTC figures for $5.88

Dar' Argol
03-24-2002, 06:54 AM
The 28ft may not be a company wide thing. It is the suggested size you should set for this item. It depends on each store, if they have the room to give 28ft to SW. I remember setting TPM when it came out and they suggested 32ft at the time. All we had in the store was 16ft to give to it. So we only set 16ft. Also, Wal-Mart may or may not drop the prices on the figs. It depends on where you are and what stores you have around that Wal-Mart. We do what is called "competitive shopping" or "Comping". That's when one our our people goes to another store and checks out their prices. If someone else is beating us, we lower our prices. That is why you could have one store with the figs for $6.44 and another 20 miles away with the figs @ $6.12. They are beating the price of another store near them. There is only 1 time when the prices are the same across the board. That is when our Home Office sends down a price change for either Clearance, Rollback, or an Advertised Price(flyers). Scince I have access to the Dept Mngr screens I will let everyone here know when the prices go down across the board. Its the least I can do for my fellow SSG'ers:D

LTBasker
03-24-2002, 08:54 AM
Heh, in one area theres TARGET, KB, TRU and down the street is Wal-Mart, I think I'll be going there... However I don't think it's 24/7. :( I guess I'll go to the local supercenter, which has really no competition for 17 miles....which is the area with the TRU, TARGET, KB, and the non-supercenter Wal-Mart. :D

logray4650
03-24-2002, 04:24 PM
I work at a Wal-Mart in the toy dep. in VA. We will be setting up 25ft. because in our spring, summer book we have that it showes us how to set up the mod. Yesterday we got in some legos and all the Star Wars AOTCs stuff is under lock and key. I have not seen the video yet on the promo. I am going to ask my Dep. Maneger about it tomarrow. So far the lego sets look great, we also got in the Jedi Starfighter. For legos the "Jedi Deul" one has Dooku on a speeder and yoda a the ground with his saber on(not going to say what color). Nothing is supposed to hit the floors till April 23rd but some people just don't care. It is also the stores dessicion weather or not to have it set up for midnight maddness. But the Wal-Mart i work in is going to. The Wal-Mart Supercenter Harrisonburg VA.

Thanks

logray4650
03-24-2002, 10:52 PM
I just got off work and tonight more legos came in but this time we got the Jango Fett and Super Battledroid Tecnic in. Last night one of our managers put out some lego stuff and someone tried to buy it but it did not ring up at the register. All the new ATOC mercindice is on a block so none can be sold. The only thing not on a block right now is the lego Jedi Starfighter. There have been no action figures yet, I am really waiting for them to come in. I Can't wait!:D

Mr Sci Fi
03-25-2002, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by InsaneJediGirl
Mr Sci Fi,

Are they doing that at all TRUs.I went to my local TRU two weeks ago with a Wal-Mart receipt for SW Action Figures.When I went
to go pay for the ones I picked up at TRU,I didnt get a price match because "Its not a sales ad".

I guess it's up to the local manager to accept a receipt as an ad.
The toysrus's around me all are very helpful and willing to do their best to meet the consumers needs. You might have a grumpy manager where your at. The active price matching (compshopping) should fix any problems that you've had in the past with your managers policies.

If you do ask them to price match off of a receipt instead of an add and they don't want to, make sure you get it from the manager's mouth. Oh ya by the way make sure it's the true manager of the store, at toysrus they call the manager of the store "the Store Director", their "managers" are actually assistant managers. I hate how they reword their positions, I guess it's so people who ask for the manager don't really bother the real manager.