PDA

View Full Version : TRU Vinatge Clearance !

xboywonder
03-22-2002, 10:02 AM
I can remember being very young, and being at a TRU well after ROTJ was released... they had a ton of now vintage figures on clearance for .98 cents... My parents bought me the Rancor for $2.00 and Bib Fortuna for .98 cents... I was really into the Jabba Palace stuff at the time.

I remember seeing the Luke Stormtrooper, and a few others...
but .98 CENTS !! and we only walked out with two items??
I wish I knew then what I know now.

Does anyone else remember any sales like this... or have any vintage toy stories??

2-1B
03-22-2002, 11:16 PM
While a friend of mine was loading up on POTF figures for about a dollar a piece (Barada, A-Wing Pilot, Imperial Dignitary come to mind) I was . . . not . . . getting them :cry:

:frus: Thanks for resurrecting such painful memories.

:) :) :)

:D :D

Bel-Cam Jos
03-23-2002, 09:55 AM
Here's why I am going to heaven for not being greedy, but will be going insane for my actions. :rolleyes: I never actually saw figures in the stores for such low prices (in fact, I saw several POTF figures, but they were an OUTRAGEOUS $4.99-5.99 each!!), but I did see many ads for $.99 clearances. You know why I didn't buy any from those stores? Well, I already had the figures (the figures were non-POTF ones from the photos), and WHY WOULD I WANT MORE THAN ONE OF A STAR WARS FIGURE?

To quote a famous line from the past here at SSG: "stupid." :cry:

LusiferSam
03-24-2002, 03:08 PM
I remember K-B's 2 for $1.00. For some odd reason I only got two figures at that time. Oh well.

Flembar
04-01-2002, 05:58 PM
I just picked up a boxed vintage shuttle (oh yeahhhhh)... the TRU mark-down price tag is $14.98!!!

if we knew then what we know now....

BoShek
04-14-2002, 03:29 PM
They were not on sale but I remember getting Luke in Endor gear and Han in Cabonite at a TRU many moons ago, when they first came out. They also had a ton of other POTF figures like Amanaman and Luke Stormtooper. That was the only time I saw the POTF!

BobaFett
04-14-2002, 06:00 PM
Ahh, old memories. I reall get dissapionted every time I look at my old opened Boba Fett and a later version that I kept in the package.

ACPin
04-14-2002, 11:13 PM
Yes, I still remember the day I got the Imperial Shuttle and AT-AT for a buck each. Mini-rigs were at 25c which at the time I wasn't into collecting SW yet. My sons were more into GI Joe and I persuaded them to use the vehicles instead. They never did play them that much because GI Joe didn't go to space was their reasoning.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-15-2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by ACPin
Yes, I still remember the day I got the Imperial Shuttle and AT-AT for a buck each. Mini-rigs were at 25c which at the time I wasn't into collecting SW yet. My sons were more into GI Joe and I persuaded them to use the vehicles instead. They never did play them that much because GI Joe didn't go to space was their reasoning.
Ha ha ha, AC. Very funny. Getting vintage stuff for such cheap prices.

Really? :confused: That is AWESOME! Lucky you. It deserves a double arr! :Pirate: :Pirate:

ACPin
04-28-2002, 10:30 PM
No joke, this is all true and aside from that I remember getting other toys like the big transformers, gobots and all for a buck each while smaller items were going for just a quarter or so. My kids labeled the clearance aisle as the buck or less aisle.

If only I knew then what I know now, I could have made a killing on a lot of the stuff.

bigbarada
05-05-2002, 03:26 AM
I remember seeing most of the POTF figures on the pegs at $0.50 each at TRU, of course being into GI Joe at the time, I didn't buy any of them. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!! :mad:

eliwankenobi
05-15-2002, 03:57 PM
I, like Flembar, fondly recall purchasing an Imperial Shuttle for $15 at TRU. If only I still had it... :cry:

Or the Desert Skiff I purchased for $10... :cry:

bobafett07728
05-15-2002, 04:32 PM
I remember seeing the POTF figs, as well as Droids and Ewoks for 2/$1 at Toy Liquidators, and TRU. As badly as I wanted them, I couldn't get them becuase I no longer "played" with my figures. My mother couldn't justify buying me figures that I was just going to open up and create little scenes with. DAMN. . .so who has a working time machine. . .I figure there were enough that we could all get one of each figure.

sunblind
05-21-2002, 02:35 PM
I wish it was still the days when you could get some of these fig's.

jjreason
05-29-2002, 01:36 PM
At that time in London, ON we had a couple of toy stores that were blowing out SW figs. One small store had them for 2 bucks each in a big square bin. The one I picked was Imperial Officer, because my brother and I were missing him from a way earlier run (he must have been left over from ESB - was he ever released on ROJ card??). POTF sat at TRU when GIJoe was the cool thing. I specifically remember picking up Luke in Stormtrooper outfit and briefly thinking to myself "wow, these are pretty cool" and then choosing a DREADNOK!!!! Oh, the pain....

jed
05-31-2002, 10:25 PM
My painful story was finding them in a toy store here in Perth only to think Star wars was losing it as they now were being released with coins. I remember seeing Luke Stormtrooper and thinking his head was too small and seeing amanaman and the imperial dignitary and thinking they were never in the movies. I didn't have the video back then and it was a few years since I had seen the movie. So I bought midnight oil tank tops and records instead. If only they increased in value the same.

I do not remember any huge clear-outs here, but instead they had a SW showbag at our Royal show and stuffed that full of the unwanted POTF figures. If only...

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

jed

tagmac
06-11-2002, 01:34 AM
I remember when the power POTF line came out in '86, but I was still a kid, and by then my parents wouldn't let me buy much SW anymore - in their mind, it was "dead" and a waste. Luckily, there were a few occasions where I could persuade my mother to let me get one, and I was able to get the two I wanted most - Han in Carbonite at TRU and Amanaman in KB. Almost didn't get the R2 w/ lightsaber cuz their reasoning was "you already have R2." Well, needless to say, I had all of the figures released (and that were on the backs of the cards) up until that last series, and not counting Yak Face, had all but 6 of the figures. Last year, I finally splurged and bought a Stormtrooper Luke and Blue Snaggletooth, but I'm STILL missing 4 POTF figs - Imp. Dignitary, EV-9D9, Romba, and Imp. Gunner. I've seen them all, but don't wanna spend the money again.....maybe one of these days, but I doubt it.

As for the earlier comment about Chief Chirpa, he certainly was released. My brother and I each got one in TRU when they came out - the employees had them in the back, and the only way to get these figs was to ask.......whatever happened to those days where employees DID go into the back rooms....