PDA

View Full Version : Other Fan Sites?

stillakid
03-22-2002, 02:10 PM
In no way do I mean to use SirSteve's Guide as any kind of commercial venue for anyone else, but

I was just wondering, with the hundreds (thousands?) of other fan sites out there in the internet wilderness, which other ones do you guys visit on a regular basis?

SirSteve's is pretty much the only place that I visit anymore besides an occasional looksee at the official Star Wars site. I'm not really sure what made me stop here, but it seemed to have the best layout, current news, best toy updates, fun forum, etc. I'm not really sure anymore, though I do, though rarely, pop into other sites like Jawa.com.

I'd love to peruse many of the other sites, I suppose, but with limited time, it seems best to find one or two of the best and hang out there. So which sites do you guys visit often and what
different things do they offer that you don't see on SirSteve's Guide? What does SirSteve's Guide have that most or all of the other sites don't?

JetsAndHeels
03-22-2002, 02:28 PM
I like Rebelscum.com, but in no way are they as upto date or helpful as SSG.
Plus I have really enjoyed my time here since I joined the forum in January. I have made some good online friends here and I wouldnt want to chat with any other group.
The forums at Rebelscum.com are alot different than the ones here. It seems the people over there (and the ones from my area here in NC) are stuck up. Whenever I tried to talk to them or post something, it got totally ignored. I never enjoyed talking to those folks because they wouldnt really open up like we do here.
So overall I love SSG and I am here for good.

Dryanta
03-22-2002, 06:09 PM
The only time I ever go to another site is when I see something posted that I'd like to read or see.Then I come right back here.SSG is the only Star Wars site I have bookmarked.
I too really do enjoy the forums.It's good that so many people can talk and disagree and never really get to carried away.It happens but not as much here as other places I've heard about.
Sorry to hear that some "fans" are so arrogant.Doesn't seem that way here

stillakid
03-22-2002, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Dryanta
Sorry to hear that some "fans" are so arrogant.Doesn't seem that way here

Oh, there are a couple. I've learned where the landmines are placed.:)

Dryanta
03-22-2002, 06:26 PM
Oh no doubt about it!;)
I guess what I should have said it not a big problem here.
But it's hard for me to say.I am the most humble person I know.I have to remind myself of that fact multiple times a day.
:rolleyes: lol

stillakid
03-22-2002, 10:19 PM
I should have clarified that I'm one of the arrogant ones.:evil: I believe that I'm right about 99.9% of the time, but it's part of my training to calmly at least consider other points of view before explaining why the other guy is wrong.;)

No, really, I don't know everything, but the stuff I do know, I feel very confident about. The trick is in presenting your ideas without arrogance or that "holier than thou" attitude. I don't think I do that, at least I try very hard not to. But there are one or two around that don't think twice about being condescending to others though I don't think that they do it consciously or to be malicious.

For the most part, though, the vast majority of people here at SirSteve's Guide are really thoughtful, helpful, kind, obedient, brave, reverent, etc etc etc. I haven't spent enough time at other forum sites to know what kinds of people post there. I suppose that I just got lucky in deciding to loiter here.

But what other features of the other sites are comparable to SirSteve's? How are the checklists? News? Pictures? Spoilers (blechh)?

Dryanta
03-22-2002, 10:27 PM
I'm the same way about what I know.
And I also agree that the vast majority of the time attitudes are unintentional.Also it's relative thing considering the readers out look on things.But there are some who do it on purpose and mean every bit of it.And while I wouldn't want to be best friends with them they do add to these forums in some good ways.Keeps us all on our toes so to speak

Emperor Howdy
03-23-2002, 02:39 AM
WHAT other fansites? :D

Rollo Tomassi
03-23-2002, 11:48 AM
I agree, stillakid. I don't know everything, but what I do know, I KNOW. And it's difficult to confer emotion from a written post. I may calmly disagree with someones opinion and tell them why sitting here with a low heart rate, calmly eating a sandwich. But someone reading my post may have a mental image of me jumping up and down screaming at my computer screen.

I come to SirSteves first when I hit the net. I used to have a few other SW fansites bookmarked, but eventually all that info hits here, either in the news or in the forums (i just let you guys do all the gruntwork for me!;) )

I have the official site bookmarked but only go there once or twice a week.

For my non-SW movie news, I go to www.DarkHorizons.com. Garth is the man! I used to hit places like Cinescape and AICN but Harry Knowles can't give objective reports. he has to lace everything with his own obnoxious often incorrect opinion. Plus, his forums are a breeding ground for foul mouthed scrubs. Can you "talkback" withOUT the F-word people?

For DVD news I hit www.DVDfile.com and www.thedigitalbits.com. Both are great websites with up to the minute DVD reporting.

And finally, for other toy news, I like to drop by www.americandreamcomics.com. Their reporting is excellent and they've got a pretty cool forum, also.

El Chuxter
03-23-2002, 06:04 PM
I don't think they count as fan sites, but I check starwars.com and holonetnews.com (the new "lite-spoiler" AOTC parody/news site by LFL) fairly regularly. I don't bother with Hasbro's site--it's a sad sham.

I check theforce.net every couple of days--the amount and range of news, not to mention the almost anal detail, can be staggering, but I sometimes see stuff there before anyone else gets it.

Rebelscum I only check when advised that there's something worth seeing. Otherwise, I don't normally care too much for the formatting there. I can't remember the last time I went to yakface--is it even still around?

Oh, and I make sure to check out coheteboy's Star Wars Outhouse (http://coheteboy.homestead.com/starwars.html) whenever I hear that it's been updated. Pretty funny stuff over there. :D

Jargo
03-24-2002, 08:21 AM
I'm checking other places on a fairly regular daily basis to see what news has been pilfered from here :D rebelscum gets my goat at times because they seem so naive and disorganised with one report contradicting another on the same page. but there's some cool stuff once in a while and the picture archive is sweet.

TFN is just a real hoot with everything they report on. Seems if Lucas had a good crap on a particular day they'd report it. Just do a search from your browser for either star or wars and sure enough TFN comes up in the search results. Also seems like TFN just copy and paste everything from rebelscum so half the time I never end up going to scum as I've already read it at TFN.

The official site I find terribly terribly dull. I go there once in a blue moon to cream off any new pictures but rarely read any articles.

Hasbro isn't worth visiting more than twice a year. what a lamo site that is.

Episode-x is okay for news and ties in with T-Bone quite a bit these days for some cool reports. But even they have succumbed to the report others reports school of news.

Aldera.net is good for a laugh once in a while but not for the right reasons. That guy needs help......

For british new I visit theprivateuniverse. With a hotline to Hasbro UK worked into the site I guess it's okay but most of what passes for news is dull provincial stuff. One or two scoops now and again make it worth visiting though.

Various collectors and customisers sites, I like to see what custom jobs folk have done. Most don't interest me but once in a while someone does a custom job that shines like a beacon of excellence and inspires me to have a go myself.

But I mostly spend my time here because the tone of the boards is the most welcoming and relaxed and pleasant of any that I've visited. i feel like I'm among friends here even the ones who i don't neccesarily get on with. :D

DeathStarPlans
03-24-2002, 09:01 AM
I started on this site back in 1999. I was in TRU one day and another collector told me to visit this site. At the time I did not have a computer, plus it was really my first time using the net. For the longest time I hung out here under another name. Ive seen alot of things happen in the last 3 years.

I started checking out other sites from links posted here and discovered more websites like Yakface.com and scum. Scum wasnt really any good in my opinion, but yak was a nice site then to visit. Then I found Collectstarwars.com and Artoosnews.com which were both cool sites to visit. I then started a trading board called the SW trade zones and ended up being a part of thejawa.com site, but not really staff. I then saw that CSW was asking for more help so I offered to help them and left thejawa as a mod, but all they wanted was for us to police their forums. All I heard from there was how that group left here to become BHC after the forums here had crashed or something, now look that site is gone itself. LOL

Once CSW decided to merge with scum that was it. I no longer wanted to be a part of that garbage. The people there are so mean and stuck up towards mostly everyone and they brag about how great their site is. I then decided to just create my own fan site which I mostly hang out now. Scum now consists of so many stuck up arrogant people. All they do is complain about what the next poster is posting about. SSG has always been good to me and never left me hanging no matter which name I used. I remember talking to many people from here, like SirSteve himself.

What ever happened to the good ol days?
I dont really post much on other boards, but I try to stop by and read. Thanks SirSteve for having a great place to come to.

Rollo Tomassi
03-24-2002, 10:58 AM
Oh, and I make sure to check out coheteboy's Star Wars Outhouse whenever I hear that it's been updated. Pretty funny stuff over there.

I agree! That was hilarious.

Who did you used to be DeathStarPlans? PS I Checked, you are STILL not in the main computer...;)

Is Jargo's website still up and running? He's got some funny stuff about Pants! and norty references in the Star Wars movies.

JediTricks
03-25-2002, 01:53 AM
Chewie, we're flattered. You need to up that post count though there buddy. :D Glad to hear you're still having fun with your site.

Wolfwood319
03-25-2002, 03:15 AM
For Star Wars stuff, I usually only check SSG. And I think SSG's forums are the best on the net. There the only ones I know of that aren't one continuous flame war on different topics. I also hit thebothanspy once and a while cause they got a good Jabba's throne room dio over there.

Jargo
03-25-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Is Jargo's website still up and running? He's got some funny stuff about Pants! and norty references in the Star Wars movies. Well, it's still there sort of. My ISP helpfully removed the uploader so I can't update with newer stuff. I'm currently working on MK IV of the site with new avatar archive and new encyclopedia of alien slime. The pants pages are still there, I'll update as soon as I can find a way to upload. :)

stormie
03-25-2002, 03:02 PM
For the longest time, the two sites I'd always visited were SirSteve's and Rebelscum (even when it was Wise Acres). Combined, these two provided all the info and pictures I ever needed. These two are still my favorites, but have been augmented with TheForce and Yakface (though Yak is definitely not what it used to be).

As far as forums go, I originally started posting at the Rebelscum Rebel Lounge (before the merge with CollectStarWars) for the purpose of looking for answers that I couldn't find elsewhere. And now the new Rebelscum forums are a collection (no pun intended ;) ) of extremely knowledgeable collectors. I would agree that a few of the people there may be a little conceited, but overall, everyone is extrememly respectful of others. The forums are a little more serious than here, but if you want an answer to an obscure vintage toy question, it'll be answered! However, my biggest gripe with those forums is the way people will jump on others just for the way they collect (army building, eBaying, opening, keeping carded). It seems for many, there's only one way of collecting...their way. And eventhough the great moderators there will eventually keep everyone in line, name-calling and flaming rears its ugly head every now and then, and I just get turned off by the whole collecting community. Though some other sites (not to be named) are much, much, much worse in this regard, and that's why I stick only to SirSteves and Rebelscum (and Yakface every now and then). If I don't like a site, I don't post there (which I think everyone should follow). The forums should be about fun and sharing, and not name-calling and flaming. Naive, maybe, but hopeful! :) Overall, my short impression of SirSteves forums is very positive, and I enjoy reading and sharing here, and hope to continue!

Romba79
03-26-2002, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by stormie
The forums should be about fun and sharing, and not name-calling and flaming. Naive, maybe, but hopeful!

Couldn't agree more. To bad a lot of the communities out there fall well short of this.

browndroid
03-26-2002, 08:10 PM
bobafettfanclub.com, i love that site, im always on there forums..and here of course...by the way if you happen to check it out im bounty hunter, if you like fett, GO NOW...

2-1B
05-05-2008, 12:23 AM
vynsyn.stealth

Deoxyribonucleic
05-05-2008, 12:34 AM
DeoxRox.org

CaptainSolo1138
05-05-2008, 10:54 PM
FoxyDeoxy.net/gigantic_rubber_fist.html

Jargo
05-06-2008, 03:42 PM
big_steamin_pile_0_carp.crud

stillakid
05-06-2008, 04:18 PM
DeoxRox.org

And all this time I've been typing in DeoxRox.org[asm]

No wonder I get this message:

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15153&d=1172294535

CaptainSolo1138
05-06-2008, 04:54 PM
And all this time I've been typing in DeoxRox.org[asm]

No wonder I get this message:

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15153&d=1172294535
I'll bite. Tell me that is not legit. Please.

stillakid
05-06-2008, 04:55 PM
I'll bite. Tell me that is not legit. Please.

Which part?

CaptainSolo1138
05-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Which part?The warning from UAE.

Who doesn't try to access deox.orgasm?

stillakid
05-06-2008, 05:27 PM
The warning from UAE.

Who doesn't try to access deox.orgasm?

Both are real. :love:

Tycho
05-11-2008, 07:10 AM
I'd love to peruse many of the other sites, I suppose, but with limited time, it seems best to find one or two of the best and hang out there. So which sites do you guys visit often and what
different things do they offer that you don't see on SirSteve's Guide? What does SirSteve's Guide have that most or all of the other sites don't?

I am registered as Tycho at GalacticHunter and Rebelscum, and SSG'sTycho or TychoSSG or something on the official site and TheForce.net.

I rarely post anywhere else.

In 1995 or so, when I first got introduced to the internet, I did a search for "Star Wars figures" or something similar, and I found the JediNet boards and met Steve online. YakFace took me as a reporter originally, but I built a friendship with Steve and felt more at home with him as he built this site. I've been here "in force" since 1996 really.

And I met probably everyone posting in this thread, online - and many of you in person at conventions and so forth. So I'm part of the family here, and that's been a source of great satisfaction for me.

As to Stillakid's more specific questions? Maybe I'll answer them more later. Maybe I just answered them as much as I needed to.

DarthQuack
05-11-2008, 07:40 AM
which other ones do you guys visit on a regular basis?

So which sites do you guys visit often and what

I like the photo sections on RS and Yak a lot to be honest, nice organized lists and good pictures.

Tycho
05-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Yes, Rebelscum's photo archive is extremely well organized and easy to use.