PDA

View Full Version : Kaadu?

hukilu
03-23-2002, 12:03 AM
First lets see if this works (attaching a picture)

hukilu
03-23-2002, 12:19 AM
I recently picked this up at an Antique store. As you can see it looks like a rip off of a Kaadu. But here is the Kicker...it was made in 1996! It was made by "Gaumont".

I can only believe that Doug Chang or someone else at Lucasfilm's art dept. had a kid who owed this toy because its likeness to the Star Wars Kaadu is too uncanny.

The other amazing thing is the play feature are exactly the same. They both have reins, triangle stirups and a feature on the back of their saddle that makes their feet walk.

Here is another pic as a comparrison.

If anybody knows what toy line this came from and what it is called please let me know because I'm really curious about the Star Wars Kaadu's true origin.

Also who is familar with "Gaumont"?

JediTricks
03-23-2002, 03:01 AM
WOW! How weird, I think I know what this is from, I recognized it from a TV ad for a sci-fi catalog! Gaumont is the French company that produced Highlander: The Series and Highlander: The Raven (the off-shoot series) for TV and would be the license-owner (like LFL is for SW toys). This is a toy from the Highlander section of that catalog, I don't know what exactly it is, but I believe it's from a Highlander cartoon made by Gaumont in and for France.

Definitely an interesting find.

hukilu
03-23-2002, 03:33 AM
Ah Ha - Highlander, I would have never guessed because I would assume that series to be more grouded in reality (meaning horses instead of Kaadu)

Thanks for the info, now if only we can put a name with the face. I'll do a little surfin and see what I can find. But if anyone else knows the name please feel free to let us know.

Jayspawn
03-23-2002, 11:30 AM
Haha. I've seen this before, It's definatly from the animated Highlander series. It's important to know that this came out BEFORE the Kaadu from Episode I.

JediTricks
03-25-2002, 03:29 AM
First, some background from when I searched the net for this piece, apparently the show was shown in some US and UK markets, it lasted 2 seasons, 94-95 and 95-96, the toy is made by "Prime Time Toys", and finally, what you've all been waiting for...

The animal is called the Gavor, the toy is something like:
Quentin's Gavor
with galloping action

RooJay
04-09-2002, 03:59 AM
Here's the real story: This creature is from the Highlander animated series. The toy line was produced for the overseas market, but they were made available here through the Highlander Fan Club catalog (and I'm sure some online retailers may have carried them). I have never owned any of them, but the catalog photos I saw looked pretty cool (especially the animated Ramirez!). The series took place on the planet Zeist, which was the original home of the immortals before they were sent to earth in the past as explained in Highlander 2. Thus, the fact that this toy is not of an earth creature like a horse as was used in the films.

Wolfwood319
04-09-2002, 04:14 AM
Wow, very interesting. I very vaguely remember that Highlander cartoon. And I don't remember anything specific about it. This is to close to a Kaduu to be just a coincidence, IMO.

Chang or someone must have seen the show or the toy, I'd be interested in seeing what it looked like in the show, and in what context the Gavor was used. I think Gaumont may be entitled to a little "likeness rights" monetary compensation.:rolleyes:

187-Maul
04-09-2002, 08:09 AM
mabe sirsteve could send the pic to Hasbro and ask them what they have to say about it

evenflow
04-09-2002, 03:22 PM
Yeah I remember seeing that. Hasbro ripped them off.

Taichi
04-12-2002, 02:49 PM
Strange find.....

I venture a guess that it was an intentional thing.....it's too coincidental to NOT be......