PDA

View Full Version : New AT-ST & Speederbike - What's the big deal?

Sidiously Darth
03-23-2002, 12:08 PM
Now that I've had a very close inspection of this set, what's so special about it? Don't answer that question. I have a POTF2 AT-ST and besides some paint differences, they are the same thing. As is the speederbike, except it doesn't explode. Remove the spring from a POTF2 version, add a little plastic model cement and it doesn't explode anymore.

Anyway, I think this is a great for those who do not have these vehicles or those who want another one. All I wanted was the ewok and now I have him.

This brings me to the real point of my post.(Something that has been pointed out countless times by others, including myself.) If Hasbeen, oops!;), Hasbro can reissue these vehicles with a little retooling and a figure, why can't they reissue the figures everybody is clamouring for?:confused: We know they can, so what's the problem? They did it with the vintage line...

I'd love to sit in on one of the meetings that decides on what is to be made and when. I'm sure it would be a riot!:crazed:

LTBasker
03-23-2002, 02:09 PM
Cause they needed an exclusive to peeve us off more. Over-priced for that matter. $30 for two molds that have been around since the 80's and a new little Ewok mold.

Starfig873
03-23-2002, 03:45 PM
Yes basically... :p

I just figured it was another one of those "if you want it, come get it" things. Besides, this sorta counts as another "army builder" technically. Can't have too many stomping AT-STs going around blasting furry things. :p

mark2d2
03-24-2002, 05:59 AM
Okay, I have no interest in this set what-so-ever. All the same, it doesn't bother me in the slightest that it's out there. For new collectors it's a nice way for them to get these long off of the retail shelves ships. And as has been brought up, it's good for the Army Builders.

Heck, I hope it flies off the shelves. Then maybe they'll reissue the Sand Crawler I keep dreaming about. C'mon Hasbro -- they're even in Episode II you know . . .

Jargo
03-25-2002, 01:16 PM
Weeeeeeeeell, considering that the POTF AT-ST is now going for ridiculous amounts, way more than this new one, I'm glad they put it out again so I was able to bag me a second one that looks like it's been on a different mission than the POTF one. It's a cool vehicle with the stomping action. Not everyone can afford the monster AT-AT and this is second best IMO. Fortunately through judicious wrangling of finances and collectibles store owner, I managed to bag both the AT-AT and AT-ST at a reasonable price.

The speeder bike sucks but then it always did. I'm glad it no longer explodes. I'm not so glad the brake flaps at the back aren't very good. It's a throw away pack in basically.

The Ewok is nothing to write home about but at least it's a new sculpt and not a wicket resculpt as some claimed. he's a nice addition to the ewok camp if you can get round the hood sticking out at the back.

But mostly, this release wasn't meant to be opened. The window box, the six million twist ties to hold it secure the tape over the lid flap. This was meant as a display only piece for those MIMSB collectors out there. Seems Hasbro are catering toward them more than openers with the way stuff is put together these days.

HELLO HASBRO - SOME OF US OPEN AND PLAY WITH OUR TOYS!!!!

JEDIpartner
03-25-2002, 01:36 PM
I agree and I haven't even GOTTEN mine from JEDI DREW yet!!!

Yes... I'm one of the kids who didn't get one of these the first... or second time they came around. I'm a happy boy now.

I DO have the vintage speeder bike, though. That thing cracked me up. Don't ask.

LTBasker
03-25-2002, 02:35 PM
One thing it's got going for it is that we've heard no reports (yet) of it not being able to stand from Hasbro's bad choice of materials.

JetsAndHeels
03-25-2002, 02:37 PM
Well I hate to bust your bubble LT, but ....
Just kidding!!
It seems to stand on its own pretty well.

Jargo
03-25-2002, 04:08 PM
If I have one tiny gripe it's the black paint. It's a little - no a lot too heavy on mine. What should have been a light glancing blast burn looks more like a meteor hit it. And the paint round the guns on the side is just as dark and heavy. But the feet and legs look great with the green mossy effect. In fact I know that all the feet are painted the same and they just grab two for each walker but mine has two odd feet as far as paint goes. Obviously different painters did them so they don't look the same which is nice. Unless they all have completely different looking feet in which case it's still nice but slightly less pleasing somehow. :confused: :D

SithDroid
03-25-2002, 06:35 PM
The ewok, I was kind of disappointed in. He doesn't look that great.

Also, why did stupid Hasblow decide to make this vehicle an exclusive seeing as it was hard as h**l to find the first time. Sometimes I wonder who makes these ridiculous decisions. Moreover, I wonder if any of the stupid decision makers collect anything of their own and know how it feels when you can't get something you really want because the quantity is limited or it is an exclusive that you can't get?

Lobito
03-25-2002, 07:14 PM
For the ones that alraedy had the AT-ST and Speeder bike, the deal is Paploo, and for the ones that didnt got those two vehicles the first time its available again with a new figure.

Just like the snowspeeder with Luke and Dak, if it werent for Dak, the toy would be pointless. Its always the same with Hasbro...we make a list of unproduced toys and we get remakes of old toys with an added value (in this case Paploo and Dak) Whats wrong with Hasbro?? Maybe if we ask for remakes we would get our new unproduced toys...Rebel Transport, Sandcrawler, etc...:eek: :evil:

Rogue II
03-25-2002, 09:18 PM
I'm actually glad they came out with this set. I never got the chance to get the ATST the first time around. After reading some of these forums, it seems like a lot of people wanted another Ewok too. (Since I'm not building any Endor dioramas, I'm rather indifferent on making more Ewoks).

I figured the price wasn't all that bad. The way I look at it:

$25 for ATST + $5 Ewok + free speeder bike = $30

JEDIpartner
03-25-2002, 10:00 PM
Even if I hadn't gotten one from JEDI DREW... I could have found 4 of these today!!!

I just looked at them and drooled. I can't wait!! :)

Jayspawn
03-26-2002, 10:20 AM
Umm. Well, I really like the set. I never got that AT-ST the first time. And I think the Ewok figure is pretty cool. We need more of them! $30 for a new figure and two vehicles sounds good to me too.

LTBasker
03-26-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Lobito
ust like the snowspeeder with Luke and Dak, if it werent for Dak, the toy would be pointless.

Nah, just the snowspeeder itself is nice, it's non-electronic, not a bunch of stickers you gotta put on (I'm guessing) and it's got a decent harpoon. I think the Luke figure is also not as buff as the POTF2 version which is very good. :cool:

I'm still gonna get the AT-ST sets, hopefully they'll get marked down a little though, I've wanted multiple AT-STs for awhile now and the Ewok doesn't sound too bad, I guess I'll just set the speeder bikes aside for just being there in a diorama.

browndroid
03-26-2002, 11:51 AM
hey, ill buy them, thats what i get for bein a hard core sw fan. i have to buy any sw figures/ships i may see...or beg my mother...

Wolfwood319
03-26-2002, 01:27 PM
Well, I was at TRU today, and saw about 15 of these things stacked up on the floor near the SW section. I took one look at it, and then put it back down. Its nice that Hasbro has some sense in rereleasing older POTF2 stuff, but unless you don't have it already or are one of those that need everything that comes out labeled "Star Wars," I'd pass.

I remember when there were tons of these things at every store for up to a year. I got a couple that were clearenced down to $5. I guess it pays to be in the game since the beginning.

Lobito
03-26-2002, 01:58 PM
Nah, just the snowspeeder itself is nice, it's non-electronic, not a bunch of stickers you gotta put on

If it isnt electronic...its even more pointless...take a boy for instance: hehehe

Boy 1: "hey, look what i've got"
Boy 2: "Be gone, i'm playing Rougue Leader"
Boy 1: "No, really, look what ive got!!"
Boy 2: "WHAT??!!"
Boy 1: "Its the new Snowspeeder!!"
Boy 2: "Great, what does it do?"
Boy 1: "Ummm..nothing, its just crashed"
Boy 2: "Grrrr...i was about to get a gold medal and u interrupted me for this??"
Boy 1: "But it includes Luke!!"
Boy 2: "So??" I have 50 Lukes!!"
Boy 1: "It includes Dak also!!"
Boy 2: "Who's That???"
Boy 1: "I said Dak!!"
Boy 2: "Oh Dak..."...ummm, er..Cool...:rolleyes:

Yep...if it werent for Dak...:D

LTBasker
03-26-2002, 02:21 PM
A gold medal is too hard to get on Hoth anyways. :p

Nah, I think it mostly appeals to collectors, and kids well, at least it's something that has pilots for it, unlike the AT-ST... :p If you don't like the Luke, just customize him. I'd actually rather not have the Snowspeeder electronics, they were much too loud plus you couldn't crash it in the snow. Not too mention there was the ugly battery compartment that you could easily tell what it was and it made it much too heavy, so. :D

Anyways, back on to the AT-ST. Are any of the parts looser than they should be? Like the little gun at the top or the canopy piece? The one I got in '95 didn't have a very grasping canopy piece...

sith_killer_99
03-26-2002, 10:26 PM
Well, I'm one of the guy's who didn't have one when these hit.

It's a nice piece if you were missing an AT-ST from your collection.

As for this being an exclusive, I really don't have a problem with it. If Hasbro had MASS released this (yet again) it would have sat on shelves, been marked down and retailers would have been put off YET AGAIN. Plus it is a RE-release, I WISH they would do that for the Desert Skiff.

As for the idea of re-releasing figures, I FULLY support the idea. Esp, for ARMY BUILDERS!!!

Hasbro did it before, sort of:

Darth Vader OC
Darth Vader GC with Holo
Darth Vader GC witout Holo
Darth Vader Freeze Frame

So why not:

Stormtrooper CTC
Stormtrooper POTJ
Stormtrooper Blue Card

I say Hasbro should put together a couple of case assortments of Army builders!

Or at least make them READILY available through the fan club (since Hasbro owns them now anyway!!!)

Mandalorian Candidat
03-27-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Rogue II
$25 for ATST + $5 Ewok + free speeder bike = $30

Look on Hasbro's face as we bend over and take it with a smile = priceless

I really wanted an AT-ST so I busted out the plastic to get this one. Like the B-Wing, I'm really tempted to just take it back. I really can't see how Hasblow can justify the price tag. Granted, there are the licensing fees and other stuff to be compensated for, but the apparent "quality" of this item for the price is horrible. No electronics, no shooting missile, no space for two figures in the cockpit, no exploding bike. All Hasbro has to do is just slap an exclusive clause on it and they can pretty much do what they want. I hope to heck they overproduced these things and they end up on clearance.

The other problem I have is with the Snowspeeder. Why the heck are they calling it "Luke Skywalker's Snowspeeder" but then not include a Luke figure? That's pure crap. If they're not going to do that, then they should at least include a grappling gun like the one Luke had to attack the AT-AT.

Rogue II
03-27-2002, 10:41 AM
I'm glad Hasbro re-released the AT-ST, because I didn't get one the first time. And I wasn't about to pay the price some of those scalpers and dealers were asking. Also, it doesn't sound like many people are having a hard time getting one of these from Toys R Us, which I find unusual for a store exclusive(I'm just lucky my wife likes to shop at Target, otherwise, I would have never got the B-Wing or Skiff).

Because of my job, I move every couple years. After this past move, I have decided to minimize collecting vehicles (you should see what the movers did to my AT-AT box:frus: ).

mark2d2
03-27-2002, 12:28 PM
Uh . . . they are including a Luke Figure . . . Dack is packed inside the ship.

stillakid
03-27-2002, 01:15 PM
This is one of those releases that looks great inside the box, so, while it's extremely rare for me to do so, I probably won't open this for awhile. Plus, I just don't have anywhere to really put the loose items anyway, so they're just as well off.

r4_m9
03-27-2002, 03:26 PM
mark2d2 is right,
It is great for new collectors that didn't have a chance to get with the POTF line and for some of us it gives more stuff for army builders even if we don't want to build armies. Although i would like to think this would get one more thing out of the way before a new sandcrawler would come around.

JEDIpartner
03-28-2002, 09:00 AM
It's awesome... for me, because I never had an AT-ST. I had the vintage speeder bike... and that was way better than this one. The springs are so weak on the pedal/flap assembly that it no longer holds the bike up. It just droops until the vanes end up touching the "ground". Oh, well.

jedi master sal
03-29-2002, 08:52 AM
well at least we have another ewok. (yikes, i paid $30 for an ewok) oh well, i didn't have the AT-ST in my collection so i guess that's okay.