PDA

View Full Version : BoShek Wave and a Dubious Scalper

JediCole
03-23-2002, 08:43 PM
I just wanted to report an incident with a rather dubious scalper who usually appears at a local toy show in my area. I won't name names, but this guy used to set up with TONS of stuff and ask outrageous prices. I remember going to one show and he had 30 B-Wing Fighters at almost twice the Target price. This was at the same time as you could find one to five at EVERY Target in town! At the end of the show I counted 30 still in his stock!

Anyway, at the last show in March, his selection was smaller than ever and it seems he's finally realized he won't make a fortune as a scalper. I will give him one conceit, he had the best price I've seen on the Eopie with Qui-Gonn, $40.00. I had been consistantly outbid on eBay at a maximum bid of $55.00! So I had to give him some of my business. However, he showed his true stripe when it came to the BoShek wave.

He had all three figures, in quantity, at his table at $15.00 each! This is not the real crime, however. What made me angry was that he told anyone who inquired about them that none of the normal retail stores would carry them. He claimed that he had talked to many managers of TRUs, Targets, Wal-Marts, and K-Marts and all said the chains were skipping this wave and going right into Episode II. Naturally I knew he was full of it, however, I am sure he convinced a few suckers.
Needless to say, two weeks later, on a tip from Bubba Fatt, I found at least seven of each of the three figures in this wave on open pegs at a Wal-Mart in town.

The up side of this tale is that I think this guy will not be long for the toy show/scalper market. I too set up and sell at these shows, but I try to maintain the lowest possible prices and try to keep people informed about what new items are coming down the pike. Unfortunatly this probably brands me as a "scalper" to many here, but I feel it is people like the dealer I described here that give those of us who try to do this sort of thing honestly as bad a name as those who imagine they will get rich on marking up brand new items and raiding the stores for 100% of thier new stock on much sought after figures.

Rollo Tomassi
03-24-2002, 03:41 AM
Here's an interesting thought. Is it the guys fault for selling his wares at ridiculous prices? Or is the idiots who keep buying from him? I say if you're doing what you're doing and earning a profit, then more power to you. I think it was crappy of the guy to blatantly lie (or be terribly misinformed, perhaps he thought he was telling the truth...) about getting the wave in stores, but if he, or you, or anybody else sets up at those shows, you have every right to charge $15 or $50 for a figure. The consumer has every right to plunk down hard earned cash, or in my case laugh at the guy and head over to Wal Mart and get them for $6.

If they are getting cases through the distributor, they can charge first born children, if they think they can turn a profit. That's capitalism at it's finest and I begrudge no man that right.

What I DON't appreciate is a few "scalpers" clearing out the STORES of product before everybody else can get to them. That bugs the crap out of me. I know, theoretically, they don't have enough capital to buy ALL of it, but it makes it harder for the regular consumer to find what he needs if somebody is coming in and buyin entire cases of figures in one go.

LTBasker
03-24-2002, 09:02 AM
I was able to get the BoShek wave for $6 even each at Wal-Mart, they were clearanced from 6.44 to 6.00. :cool:

Droidlover
03-24-2002, 10:29 AM
I found the Bo-shek wave at WM on clearance for Four bucks. I bought all three and an extra R4. Gotta love that.

Wolfwood319
03-24-2002, 03:06 PM
I find it hard to believe that there are still so many scalpers in other places. There are literally no scalpers in my area, and the comic book stores don't carry the figures either. When POTF2 came out, the scalpers thought they hit pay dirt, but nowadays I can't imagine them breaking even. There aren't as many collectors as there were 3 years ago, and you can't pretty much get what you need online or at stores.

The one thing I hate the most though is when they pay off the local stock boy at TRU to hold the cases in back for the scalper specifically. A few years ago I saw an incident take place, suffice to say, an employee got fired and a scalper got a black eye.

LTBasker
03-24-2002, 06:59 PM
Yeah, now if only we could get rid of those Hong Kong scalpers...

Jayspawn
03-25-2002, 11:42 AM
I hate guys who do that.

Deoxyribonucleic
03-25-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
If they are getting cases through the distributor, they can charge first born children, if they think they can turn a profit. That's capitalism at it's finest and I begrudge no man that right.

What I DON't appreciate is a few "scalpers" clearing out the STORES of product before everybody else can get to them. That bugs the crap out of me. I know, theoretically, they don't have enough capital to buy ALL of it, but it makes it harder for the regular consumer to find what he needs if somebody is coming in and buyin entire cases of figures in one go.

Here Here! It wouldn't bother me so much either if these "scalpers/dealers" had a business license and therefore got their 'wares from a distributor. Godspeed to them in selling. As Rollo pointed out, it is those that buy all the toys OFF OF THE SHELF at a local retailer therefore, inhibiting those of us who just want one for ourselves from getting it that isn't the best of things.

Also, in accord to what Rollo was saying....a wise man once said "Who's the fool, the fool or the fool who follows him?" ...who's the fool, the guy/girl selling for an exhorbitant price or the guy/girl who buys it for that much and then complains about it?

:crazed: