PDA

View Full Version : "Rediscovered Treasures" aka unheralded figures

mark2d2
03-24-2002, 05:55 AM
I was kid watching today for a friend's 9 year old son, so of course I dragged out a bunch of my loose figures and I soon discovered one that I'd never really paid all that much attention to --- only to find that he totally rocks!

The figure in question was the Jawa Pack-in for the Power Droid. I was so stoked about getting l'il GONK!GONK! that I completely overlooked this guy. A Jawa with legs! Awesome. Really well done. This gets my vote for Best Pack-in.

Has anybody else ever rediscovered a figure? If so, which ones?

Jargo
03-24-2002, 02:30 PM
Um - the Gonk was the pack-in for the Jawa mark...... :sur: You sure is biased in your view of star wars to think they'd pack a Jawa in with a droid. hehehe! :D

I think the Ugnaught is the biggest unsung hero. Not the pale pink one with the all grey suit but the one with the apron and the gloves. he does absolutely nothing but looks so cool.....

Actually I'm lying. I can't think of one but thought I'd better write something to justify replying.... :stupid:

:Pirate: ARRRRR!

mark2d2
03-24-2002, 03:53 PM
Oh...uh...yeah. I checked the picture archive and...uh...you'rer right. The droid was the pack-in. Oh, well. This doesn't have to be about pack-ins anyway, just figures that came out, you bought, and then kind of forgot about as there was no hype. Then later, you look back at it and think, "Dang, he's pretty darn cool . . ."

mark2d2
03-24-2002, 04:14 PM
Delete this post. It was a multiple. Sorry.

Lord Tenebrous
03-24-2002, 04:31 PM
Wasn't it Jawa and Gonk Droid? They both got lines on the CommTech chip, and I'm sure they're both loved by collectors and children alike. The Gonk came with click-moveable legs, but he looks really good in the angled walking position, it gives him a bashful/thoughtful image. But the really cool part is the vacuum-hose style legs...classic.

Another great find is the R2-D2 from the Episode 1 line. You can boil off the sticker around his dome, and repaint him as a different astromech on the queen's ship. There are dozens of them sitting at the local TRU for two dollars, and I get several of him on occasion, just to customize. A couple customs were just whacking them with a sledgehammer, then touching them up with a permanant marker - how's that for battle damaged? :D

And it all started when my first one's booster rockets broke.

LTBasker
03-24-2002, 05:57 PM
I'd say the POTF2 Boba Fett, granted he was a victim of the sterioditis disease, and not that detailed, well it's just something about him that is quite cool, I guess it's that unlike the 300th Boba, you can PLAY with him. :cool:

Sith Vicious
03-24-2002, 07:27 PM
I don't know if I've ever rediscovered a figure, but I have bought figures that I ended up liking a lot more than I thought I would like Cold Weather Obi-Wan and Imperial Officer.

2-1B
03-24-2002, 10:46 PM
When I recently opened my Bacta Luke and new FX-7 to set up a little cinema scene, I gained a new appreciation for my 2-1B figure. He's 5 years older than the other two, but he fits in quite nicely :)

mark2d2
03-25-2002, 02:18 AM
Oh, yeah! 2-1B was great. He doesn't count for me in this thread though because I was always just completely blown away by this guy from the get go. Love all the little nicks and dings in his metallic body. Top notch all the way . . . He definitely holds his own with FX-7.