PDA

View Full Version : Why is the boycott only til 5/28 ?

2-1B
03-24-2002, 02:16 PM
I see that some of you are boycotting the AOTC line, and I respect that decision. I'm just wondering why it's only until the 28th of May? Is one month customary, or are there more specific reasons? Thanks !

:)

Jargo
03-24-2002, 02:34 PM
I have no idea, it just seemed like a good idea and Lord Tenebrous said he was boycotting from and to those dates so I fell in line with him on my planned boycott. I guess I could carry on if required until June 28th. But considering the month we're boycotting is the heaviest for figures so far this year the more we can get to join us in protest the better. :)

Lord Tenebrous
03-24-2002, 02:52 PM
The intention was only to snub the 4/23 set of figures. By the time the end of May rolls around, stores should have newer figures like Count Dooku (Dark Lord) and Orn Free Taa, figures that I feel are more of a collector's-tyoe class.

So it was only really for one month, let the children buy first, they'll have sales data for that, then add the collector's, and see how dependant the line is on us.

Because, I don't know about your area, but I've never seen a kid buy Star Wars figures. They just sort of sit here, until they're clearanced, then I pick them up.

2-1B
03-24-2002, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the updates guys :)

Tenebrous, I don't recall ever seeing a kid buy Star Wars around here . . . since I worked at TRU over 5 years ago. And that was during the Special Edition hype. I'll be watching the AOTC toys to see how many kids are perusing the selection.

LTBasker
03-24-2002, 06:48 PM
Kids aren't there as much as Hasbro thinks, alot of collectors have kids and basically it's the parents of the children that usually get them hooked on it so parents buy their own stuff and buy some extra or also buy it for their kids at the same time. If it was kids, I doubt they would've had as many sells as they most likely did in '95 cause it just basically came out of the blue. Only information I had on the SW stuff then was the Insider which in my last Insider of that subscription I saw the '95 figures and vehicles being offered in it, that's the only way I knew, no internet. Plus does Hasbro really think kids are going for these crapola exclusives against scalpers when there is no way they can possibly know about them if their parent isn't a collector themselves? Highly doubt just kids could keep SW alive.

Mr Sci Fi
03-25-2002, 12:34 AM
I can't say kids aren't buying them. I was in a toysrus late last year and a mother and kid were shopping. The mother picked up a power ranger and said to the five year old " this is what you want right?". The kid grabbed the figure, looked at it and then threw it down while saying " No! I said Star Wars". the scene made me alomst want to cry, even though I didn't find anything there that i was looking for I walked out a happy man.

I know us collectors buy alot but I still would like to see some solid proof about who buys the most, us or the kids.

You know we don't matter to george when he makes a film, we're a definite minority in that.

Rollo Tomassi
03-25-2002, 10:10 AM
Maybe you could figure out when their sales quarter ends? That would send them a clearer message. But the boycott won't really teach Hasbro a lesson. They've already taken their orders and got their payments from the retailers. So who you're really hurting with your boycott are the Wal-Marts and the Targets. If you refuse to buy from them, they will be less inclined to order Star Wars product in the future. Which leads to smaller production runs on later waves, which makes it more difficult for us to find the stuff down the road. So in the long run you're hurting the consumer.

Children are fickle. They jump from Jurassic Park to Bob the Builder to Star Wars to Ninja Turtles with reckless abandon. Star Wars will hold kiddies attention until the next Disney flick comes out, then they'll be tugging on mummy's skirt for thos toys instead. The young adults with the dosposable income and a long term love for the Saga are the deep pockets of this line. Hasbro should get a clue.

fourtwo
03-25-2002, 04:49 PM
keep boycotting...more toys for me.
teaching hasbro a lesson..haha

mr sci fi, thats a pretty good story.