PDA

View Full Version : WM vs TRU question...

TikiFett
03-24-2002, 05:24 PM
I have been thinking that I am going to pursue the TRU angle April 23 simply because that is what I did at EP1 (did very well there too scoring 1 out of 4 of their 12" Darth Mauls :) ). But I am hearing alot of enthusiasm around here about WalMart.

My questions are - Have WalMarts done the midnight madness thing like TRU has? (I realize it is only store to store with TRU). And also, how reliable to you think WM will be with having everything out and ready to go on the 23rd? I personally have found wal-marts to be lazy sometimes when it comes to stocking. Further to this (I'm just lookg for points of view here) if a WM is open 24 hours do you think the goods will be stocked at midnight? And if the WM isn't open 24 hrs (like mine) do you think the goods will be ready at 6am when they open?

Just wondering what you all think of these stores.

LTBasker
03-24-2002, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I'm fairly sure they'll have'em out, May 3rd in '99 after going to TRU which was a mad house I went to the bone dry local supercenter here and they had a mobile shelf right there in front of the door. They will most likely be reliable as a bunch of Wal-Marts are open 24/7 and they usually put stuff out ASAP so putting it out that night would mean more money.

Rollo Tomassi
03-25-2002, 09:19 AM
I went to Midnite Madness at a TRU 50 miles from home. After me and my roommate were fully satiated after hitting TRU and a bookstore, we drove back home and stopped in the local WM. Turns out they had put their stuff out at midnite for cheaper and had quite a nice collection. Since TRU is being snooty about whether or not they'll be open, I'll just drive 6 blocks to WM. I bet I can get most of the books there that night, too.

PCofmisfittoys
03-25-2002, 10:24 AM
From what I can tell , we are going to have a similar activity like the EP1 release. I am a manager with TRU and they haven't sent out much except the April 23rd 3" buttons yesterday for the employees saying " SW coming April 23rd. The CAT listings of the items show as many items , if not more , to flood the market similar to the EP1 over shipping. Our DC in the south has only gotten in tons, I mean tons of the figures and the starfight so far. nothing further.
I'm sure TRU will have the standard feature area with great display and I will send pictures when they come available. As far as Walmart goes, the difference and advantage we have is that being the worlds largest Toy retailer, we don't tend to sell out as quick as Wally world does. If they do what they did for EP1 we will get cases upon cases in on a special truck a couple of weeks before they go out.
I also think the prices where lower too..maybe 5.99. I have many friends in the Merch. Flow team that keeps me up to date on issues etc. As a fellow collector I try to make sure the customer fellow collector is happy as well.
i plan to stay away from the Ep2 items etc. for Displays etc. I'm sure in a year we will be having them as the "Day after Turkey day" doorbusters for .97. lol

JetsAndHeels
03-25-2002, 10:46 AM
Now why couldnt I get someone like you at my TRU? When I asked the manager about April 23rd she kind of looked at me like "duh". Not alot of help there.
And I knew someone knew something about it. Its only one of the biggest merchandising events that stores see during a movie year.
Thanks for the imput, and keep us updated.

Jayspawn
03-25-2002, 10:50 AM
I don't think Wal-Mart opened at midnight like TRU did. I believe they opened at 7am, their normal opening time with stocked Episode I merchindise. But if TRU does Midnight Madness again, I'll definatly go.

bosskmr
03-25-2002, 11:45 AM
I walked into Wal-Mart 1st thing in morning for Ep I product back in 99'. I had the entire isle to myself!!!!

Bought everything I wanted a little cheaper and zero people pushing, I'd wait and just go to Wal-Mart

PCofmisfittoys
03-25-2002, 11:56 AM
yeah some mangers are ridge to say the least. As a fellow collector for many years I understand the problems we all face. The Star Wars collectors are the very least problem customers in most stores ive seen , the Hot Wheel and SLU guys are the worse. Collectors drive the market and everyone needs to work together to get what they need.
On the Walmart subject again , they are open 24hours so most of the managers I know say they will sale at 12:01. TRU will never match Wally worlds volume but if you work with the collectors and the kids that just want to actually open a figure you will have a great customer base.
Although I do wish we had Layaway sometimes , I hate having to go to Wally world to put things on.

JetsAndHeels
03-25-2002, 12:04 PM
Hey PC, could you see if TRU in Raleigh or Durham, NC is doing midnight madness?
Everytime I call or ask the employees are clueless. I have even emailed them and have yet to get a response.
If you cant thats cool. Thanks.

2-1B
03-25-2002, 01:11 PM
In '99 I went to my local WM at 7am when they opened to get the Amidala figure I forgot to buy at the TRU midnight sale. There was one other person there, so we had the whole aisle to ourselves as well.

NOW the local WM is 24 hrs, so we're hoping they will be out at midnight. I'm like yu Rollo, I plan on buying every book at WM too. Books, CD, LEGOs, and a few figs in one stop. Should be great!

Hell, even if WM doesn't stock them right away, I think I'll wait until morning anyway. :)

GeneralKenobi
03-25-2002, 11:02 PM
The Wal-marts around here are pretty good about getting new stuff in and most of them are 24 hours...I will be waiting for the figs to come out at 12:01 and who knows maybe they will put them out earlier like the preview wave.

jad
03-25-2002, 11:15 PM
In a phone call I made to my local Walmart I found out today from the toy department manager that they will be opening at midnight. Of course this is just at my local walmart, which isn't 24 hours. So I suppose they'll be closing at 11:00 and then stocking for an hour and then reopening at 12:00. I don't think there is a lot of compitition when it comes to getting the figures around here, so hopefully it won't be a mad house and i'll be able to take my time, inspect the figures to find the best painted version, and enjoy myself.

I'm looking forward to shopping for the stuff at walmart this time around.

Wolfwood319
03-25-2002, 11:22 PM
I don't think competition will prevent you from getting every single figure you want. If the above post is any indication, the stores will be flooded with figures just like with E1.

As for the WM vs TRU, for those of you who are going out for the experience as well as the toys, I have to recommend TRU. But if you just want the figures, hit your WM, even if there isn't a 24 hour store around you, just hit them in the morning.

2-1B
03-25-2002, 11:42 PM
You have a good point Wolfwood, part of me wants that experience from 3 years ago of people gathering for the new merch in large crowds. But then again like jad I like the idea of being able to sort through the items and see what I really like instead of making hasty decisions with the crowds around me.

Maybe I'll go out at midnight to a TRU and not buy much, and then hit WM in the morning for my real shopping :confused:

browndroid
03-25-2002, 11:46 PM
well, all we have here is a walmart:mad: no tru...sniff sniff...looks like ill be getting all my ep2 stuff at wm target or kmart...

jad
03-25-2002, 11:49 PM
I suppose the decision would rest on your preference, what type of experience your wanting to get out of this.

I myself would enjoy the stress free shopping, knowing that i'll get to look over everything I want and just enjoying a look at everything on the shelves.

Of course if your into running and hangin out with the crowds and excitment, then I think Toysrus is for you.

Either way i'm excited and i'm sure you all are as well. I hope you all enjoy this experience and get all the items that you want. :)

Dar' Argol
03-26-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by jad
In a phone call I made to my local Walmart I found out today from the toy department manager that they will be opening at midnight. Of course this is just at my local walmart, which isn't 24 hours. So I suppose they'll be closing at 11:00 and then stocking for an hour and then reopening at 12:00. I don't think there is a lot of compitition when it comes to getting the figures around here, so hopefully it won't be a mad house and i'll be able to take my time, inspect the figures to find the best painted version, and enjoy myself.

I'm looking forward to shopping for the stuff at walmart this time around.

Actually they will not close if they are a 24hr Wal-Mart. If Wal-Mart does not close for Thanksgiving, they will not close for a petty thing like the release of AOTC figs. I was there 5/3/99 for TPM. we set a barricade of carts around us while we were setting TPM. At 12:00am We moved the carts and allowed the customers in to buy. Most stores have a mobil counter, usually 5' long. Most stores will most likely set that counter, and if they are 24hrs, wheel it to the front of the store at midnight. I know that's what I'll be doing. I volletired(sp) to set the AOTC for the 23rd. Of course as soon as I wheel it out, I'm running back to the time-clock, punching out, and gettin me some figgies!!!!! So if anyone is in the Hanover PA area, stop at the Wal-Mart there and look for a long haired guy and say hi to me, Dar' Argol :D

Of course this is just at my local walmart, which isn't 24 hours

I'm an idiot:crazed:! I just now saw you said NOT a 24hr store. I thought it read IS a 24hr store :crazed:. I gotta take a break from the 'puter:stupid:

InsaneJediGirl
03-27-2002, 08:15 AM
WalMart will be getting my business April 23rd for a couple of
reasons.I really dont want to be in all that Madness at TRU.Its
pointless to push and shove when the figures will be out for
quite a long time.:rolleyes:

Another reason would have to be lower prices.TRU doesnt want
to match SW Figure prices(for me,anyways),then I say forget that,WM will be happy to have my money:D

LTBasker
03-27-2002, 09:29 AM
Well, the Wal-Mart here is definitely gonna have the figures, they put up a sign the other day that says "Episode II figures coming April 23rd"

Dar' Argol
03-27-2002, 06:41 PM
F.Y.I. - In case this does not get posted in the news section. Wal-Mart is dropping prices on SW figs. They are going from $6.44 to $5.88!!! That's almost a dollar off!! I was checking the price changes today at work and say 64 changes for SW figs. This came down in our system so its a company wide drop! If they are not done by today, it should be done by the end of next week, or the price changes are "Late". It depends on how fast the Toy Dept. Mgr. gets them done. But they do have to be done! I'm not 100% sure if this price will continue through AOTC release but I think it should.

Just thought I'd keep you guys informed:D

NesteaFett
03-27-2002, 08:12 PM
Well, I'll be at TRU first at Midnight. The whole excitement thing and talking with some of the collectors I've talked to during my search this past month. Afterwards I'll probably hit up Wal-Mart if I don't get all I need. The one in my hometown still has the Teebo Wav and the Preview Figures. They've been up for a while and it looks like I'm the only one that has touched them.

jad
03-27-2002, 08:47 PM
I was at Walmart today, and to my surprise I found that my local walmart had already made the price drop to 5.88!

Thats nice to know, that will be quite a few dollars saved on the 23rd :)

2-1B
03-28-2002, 02:57 AM
Have your local WMs been putting that promo sticker on the floor? I saw it today, it was pretty cool to see an announcement being made. :)

GeneralKenobi
03-28-2002, 03:04 AM
I went to 3 Wal-Marts today and I haven't seen an advertisement yet for the 23rd...or that elusive Zutton wave.