PDA

View Full Version : Blast effects causing weapons to droop

JediTricks
03-25-2002, 04:56 AM
This is just plain ol' unacceptable. I just noticed today after having the Clone Trooper up for over a week that the blast effect on the front of the rifle has caused a noticeable bend in the gun. As if that wasn't annoying enough, I put out my Zam Wesell figure less than 6 hours ago and her rifle is already drooping quite a bit. It's not hot out here, it hasn't gotten over 72 recently, so temperature is not a factor. It's bad enough that the packaging - the trays, the tape, the rubber bands, etc. - causes the rubbery accessories to come out of the package bent and twisted up, but to have an accessory that causes this... that's unacceptable. The gumby-gun issue was frustrating before, now it's become nearly intolerable. Sure these things are removable, but what's the point of including an accessory that ruins another accessory?!?

JEDIpartner
03-25-2002, 08:50 AM
Behind it was another reason why these accessories are poo.

Rollo Tomassi
03-25-2002, 10:24 AM
I've done something absolutely fabulous with my silly little "blast" effects!

I left them in the package.

Jayspawn
03-25-2002, 11:45 AM
Thats a good idea Rollo. We can pretend that they don't come with them. My Clonetrooper rifle started to droop a little. Which is why I'm glad JediTricks brought this up. I have since put the blast effects away.

LTBasker
03-25-2002, 12:10 PM
I haven't recognized any droops in my Clone Trooper's rifle, but I noticed Zam's drooping from the WEIGHT which not even a crumb would be jealous of of the blast effect, I think the E2 Padme will come with 2 blast effects (for some unknown reason) and so if she does I'll put the extra (they're the same ones that Jango has) on Zam's gun because not only will it hopefully take some weight off, but it'll look much more accurate for a sniper rifle.

The little blast effects aren't bad, and I think they should definitely rethough Zam's and the Clone Trooper's, it seems Zam's effect style is much better on the Clone Trooper's gun (which actually looks like a malfunctioning Star Trek phaser beam) and Jango's effects most likely look better on Zam's gun, however I haven't tried that yet, I'm getting sick of just touching the rifle and having Zam lose grip of it.

Also, has anyone tried standing the Clone Trooper on one foot with a stand? The rubber there is so poor that he just bends, what exactly was the point in THAT?

DeadEye
03-25-2002, 12:13 PM
Well, from what I've seen of the Jango Fett Kamino Escape figure, his guns look solid and not rubbery, but they don't include the blast effect.

JEDIpartner
03-25-2002, 01:11 PM
Who can say...?

Those who were so gung-ho about the effects are rapidly changing their minds from what I have read/heard. I'm sticking to my guns (sorry) and saying... these are poo! :mad:

DeadEye
03-25-2002, 01:13 PM
lol, JEDIprtner. Good play on words.:D

2-1B
03-25-2002, 01:22 PM
I am not surprised by this. Even Jango's short blasters are really flimsy, I didn't bother taking the rubber bands off of them. I know I'll get really frustrated if I have to bend one of those into his hands. :frus:

Rollo, you're right that they should probably be left in the package / garbage, but it's quite dubious of them to include stuff of such poor quality :mad:

:)

LTBasker
03-25-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Caesar

Rollo, you're right that they should probably be left in the package / garbage, but it's quite dubious of them to include stuff of such poor quality :mad:

Well they kinda have to, they have some very bad marketing stratedgy, but nothing would be able to top just releasing a bubble on a card for several figures.

Unit-01
03-25-2002, 03:26 PM
None of this would happen if those bastards made the accessories like the POTF2 figure. (the really hard stuff). I heard it was because it could poke someone in the eye, **** anything can, I got gouged in the eye by a damn balloon for cryingoutloud. There has been constent "*****ing" about this from about everyone, I'm surprised Hasbro didn't fix it. It's just stupid to see pics of all the figures (TF2002) with guns hanging limp.

Jargo
03-25-2002, 03:32 PM
And i recall when I started banging on about the crap quality of the weapons and figures that bend, everyone said i was just crazy and told me to stop moaning...... Hey look at me - still crazy and still fighting mad about the crap quality. It's just too much that figures are ruined before you even get them out of the package. I recieved my second and third R3 droids today and both had their middle legs completely bent sideways in the bubble. Did they need to package him with his leg extended?

My Zam figure never even saw the blaster effect as I threw it in the bin with the cardback after I opened it. Useless lump of red junk. The rifle was bent out of shape as I took it from the package and what is with using a rubber band to tie Zam into the bubble? Are we not supposed to open these or what? Do hasbro reckon we all keep our figures carded or are openers not considered collectors these days. Does this mean snobbery creeping into the hobby? Maybe with the floppy figures and weapons hasbro are saying we should just stare at them carded and be happy with the sculpted detail and never open. Is that the ball game? With the quality we've been getting lately I seriously doubt that a toy safety standards inspection would deem these safe as toys. The arms pop off so easily at the elbow that they constitute a choking hazard.

And JT, i think you'll find that roughly 50 is the maximum temp for these things. after that they start to wilt. I tested it in my living room with a heater and a room thermometer. I let the room heat up to see if it affected my figures and sure enough - beyond 50 everything went soft and the weapons went droopy. 72 they just baend right over on themselves. having said that, 50 is probably too warm for all these things :rolleyes: Nice going Hasbro. This plastic is superior to the harder plastics used for POTF2 is it? You sure about that? Maybe you might want to rethink that statement.

LTBasker
03-25-2002, 03:55 PM
So that's how they get the figures past those stupid snap tabs inside! They just put the room at 100 and just slide'em in then they freeze them!

Why do they pack astromechs with their legs out? I have no idea... R2-Q5 even had his middle leg out when there was hardly any room in the package for it.

Ya know with the plastic being more flexible and such, if a kid was looking around for candy - gummies - and could easily mistake little blasters or these blast effects for gummies due to the softness. Granted the stuff might go down easier, but it could also be quite hazardous to the child's health from the stomach since it could easily melt and coat the insides or cause some weird thing to happen.

I think hard accessories are more safe since at least one little lightbulb would click to tell them not to swallow it and if it did get lodged in the throat, the heimlich or a quick trip to the hospital could get it out with quite possibly repairable damage if any.

Jargo
03-25-2002, 04:48 PM
I remember being a kid and getting something stuck in my throat about the size of one of these blaster effect thingies. My Mother told me to stick my fingers down my throat and make myself vomit....

It worked but I'm not sure that it's good advice to give to anyone. My Mother wasn't exactly the best mother on the block. If I remember properly I hammered on the front door choking to death and she passed on the advice and then shut the door on me. Guess she was too busy with household chores like watching soap operas or something... :rolleyes: :D

Can you imagine if they put that advice on the toy packaging?

"Contains small parts. may cause choking hazard. (If child is choking shove fingers down childs throat to induce vomiting)."

Now that would be fun.... :crazed:

LTBasker
03-25-2002, 04:59 PM
Well it would be better than getting your stomach screwed up to where you'd need a transplant or just major surgery.

Darth Ovori
03-25-2002, 05:47 PM
I remember there was a time when Mcfarlane Toys used that same type of soft plastic... Then everybody complained and now thier using a harder type... problem now that its more brittle and breaks easier...

But I'll rather have the hard plastic with the weapons in shooting order than the soft banana flop...

On those lollipops... Worst part is the attachment nobs on the guns ends and the rockets nozzles... Looks terrible... :crazed:

Tycho
03-25-2002, 08:52 PM
So are the Jedi Master points going to be good for stomach transplants?

Seriously, I really like the blaster effects for my dioramas and am looking to see what older weapons (battle droid guns) will take the effects on them too.

The Clone Troopers blast might be a bit too long. I'm not sure if the rifle or the blast effect is drooping. I need to reposition them so they are not shooting at the floor and then come back and post here after a few days of my great cloning experiment...

I currently have 3 Clone Troopers loose, all shooting in the same pose pretty much.

My jury is still out on that one. Zam, Jango, and of course R3, do not pose a problem.

JediTricks
03-25-2002, 10:52 PM
Well, my Jango has handled being on top of my monitor during 72-degree weather and those blast effects haven't warped his pistols - in fact, the one that was super-bent has actually straightened out. On the other hand, when I woke up this morning, it was 14 hours after I had put Zam out (this is overnight time, so it was much cooler), and her blaster was bent past a 30-degree angle! That was enough for me, these stalagmites can go in the accessory baggie for all eternity for all I care, they don't help the look of my clonetrooper or my Zam so they're not worth having around. Rubbery guns were already a problem, but now Hasbro's including an extra accessory to actually RUIN the gun?!? NO THANKS! This experiment is a failure in my eyes, if Hasbro can't strengthen the accessories, then they need to avoid making the problem worse by strangling the weapons into the figure's hands via tight rubber bands and forcing them into bubble trays that don't hold them straight, and they CERTAINLY need to avoid adding a huge weight to the ends of the guns.

stillakid
03-25-2002, 10:54 PM
When I use my blast fx, my weapon droops too. :rolleyes:

JEDIpartner
03-25-2002, 11:09 PM
I can't wait until some kid swallows one of those metal lightsaber hilts. That'll end our trip REAL quick, now won't it...!

LTBasker
03-25-2002, 11:18 PM
I did a little experiment tonight, I took Zam's blast effect off her blaster rifle, that I had to prop up the blast effect part because I tried just propping up the barrel in a part near the end but just a little behind it and it still bent. Well anyways after taking her blast effect off of it I literally watched the rifle bend itself back a little, then I put on one of Jango's.... EVEN HIS IS TOO HEAVY FOR THE RIFLE. :frus:

I've got a couple Clone Troopers loose and I have only noticed slight drooping in the one with his blaster pointed straight (at a couple BD's with the boomer damage on them, fits in quite well) but the one with his rifle pointed upwards hasn't had any bending, I just turned the effect on the gun of the one shooting at the BDs, mostly I think it's not really the gun that is warping, but rather the effects sliding off the peg slightly from it's own weight. And like I said before, the Clone Trooper's looks like a Star Trek malfunctioning phaser beam. :p

Overall, I like the effects idea, it's just they need to THINK, I mean not only does Zam's blast effect absolutely suck for her rifle, but looks ridiculous on her blaster. And the Clone Trooper's effect just needs to be shorter, I'd say if it was half the size or so it would be much better. Jango's got it perfectly down, right sized effects and guns that can support them.

2-1B
03-26-2002, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
I can't wait until some kid swallows one of those metal lightsaber hilts. That'll end our trip REAL quick, now won't it...!

Well, then those kids are just gonna have to start swallowing cow magnets before playing with any Jedi figures :)

LTBasker
03-26-2002, 11:51 AM
Welp I was wrong about the blast effects... I thought the Battle Droid and Typho would be using the same effect mold that Jango's effects used but it looks like they're going with unique blast effects all around, I've attached an upclose pic of Typho I found, his blast effect is the SAME LENGTH as his little blaster! :frus:

On a good side note though his blaster does appear to resemble the one that was packed in with Endor Leia and Bespin Leia in the vintage line just much more accurate, better than those blasters that General Leia and CTC Leia had. Nice paint detail on it too... :sur:

Ya know from that angle of his head he kinda resembles the guy who played Chakotay on Voyager. :D

DeadEye
03-26-2002, 01:11 PM
Whoa...he does!

mylow thehutt
03-26-2002, 02:20 PM
:( Ok the wepons suck,but are the figures the same way?also do you think this will just be a problem with the preview figures and not new figs comming out,Because it would be hell to have a droopy ephant mon!:stupid: