PDA

View Full Version : Why did we need Medichlorians?!

JediCole
08-28-2001, 09:58 PM
Regarding the Medichlorians...
Is Star Wars suddenly Star Trek? Do we need a biological explanation of the Force? There goes all of the mysticism that had previously existed. Now the all-powerful force is nothing more than a viral colony that makes the oxygen-starved brains of the Jedi delude themselves into a state of supernatural powers. UGH!

Obi-Don
08-29-2001, 09:16 AM
I agree,there was no need for that.It takes away something from the Jedi.

Spock!Have you found anything on the scanners yet. Damnit Jim,I'm a valcan not a jedi!

master jedi
08-29-2001, 05:27 PM
My theory is that Lucas put midichlorians into Star Wars so he wouldn't have to bother with scientists who always have to have a scientific explaination for everything.

evenflow
08-30-2001, 09:28 AM
I hate the idea of them, i try not to think about it. It takes away the myth of the force. :(

Sith Worm
08-30-2001, 09:37 AM
Captin red beard the jedi,
I belive it was said that without them we would have no knowledge of the force Qui-Gonn is such A wise man, actually he is atupid becouse he tried to fight LORD MAUL!

Starfig873
08-30-2001, 11:46 AM
Unfortunetly a movie has to have so much exposition....and Georgie-poo probably felt he owed us an explaination about the force. He felt it was right, thats all. :cool:

JediTricks
08-30-2001, 01:28 PM
I think it's a cop-out on Lucas' part, he lost his vision of what the Force meant to him and he needed a quick & cheap explanation of Obi-Wan's ROTJ line about meeting Anakin and noticing how powerful with the Force he was - CHEAP!

I hate this midi-chlorian thing so much that I wrote a little theory that weasels out of it, here's a repost of it:

My theory is that midi-chlorians do not create the Force nor a way to communicate with the Force, but instead are the RESULT of Force-ability within a user. They don't do ANYTHING like what Qui-Gon was talking about, instead they're just an indicator of something else: the more that show up in your bloodstream, the more you're touched by the Force. (This way, Qui-Gon was kinda like one of those folks from the middle ages who thought that bleedings could heal mental illnesses.) This would work kind of like how a bloodtest can indicate how ill you are based on your white bloodcell count; but if someone has a special condition like some sort of midi-chlorian inhibitor or simply less midi-chlorians in general, they would not show up in their bloodstream but they could still have a strong connection to the Force.

Oh, if only Lucas would do this, I would be able to swallow Ep 1 slightly better... slightly. ;) Come to think of it, this could explain away how Dark Jedi and Sith don't get found at a very young age by the Jedi order, though I'm not saying every Force user without a high midi-chlorian count MUST be evil, just that it's not likely they'd be trained in the light side.

The 'Xir
08-30-2001, 09:15 PM
Actually JT, that's not a bad theory! I'd be cool with that if Lucas were to throw that at us! Your saying: when someone uses the Force, MC's are produced and are like a left over bi-product within the bloodstream! So someone with a stronger connection to the Force who would be using it more frequently would show higher numbers of the "bi-products" Hhhhmmmm! Interesting! I think that could be worked in! The only two problems I forsee, is that it's already been implied that the higher # of MC's you have, is the reason you are stronger in the Force! But it's still vague and could be twisted around! Also, QG's explanation of no knowledge of the force without MC's! Which could just be dismissed by the council or could be shown as not being able to tune into one aspect of the Force, like 'The Living' which QG seemed to be more intuned to! Cool Idea JT! Now if we can just get George to read these forums!:rolleyes:

JediTricks
08-31-2001, 11:24 AM
"The only two problems I forsee, is that it's already been implied that the higher # of MC's you have, is the reason you are stronger in the Force! But it's still vague and could be twisted around!"
- Exactly, it's vague and feels like Yoda doesn't even totally buy it in the film. People used to think that the sun revolved around the Earth because it seemed like the most logical theory... till they found differently. And just because Qui-Gon says something in the film doesn't make it true, Yoda doesn't seem to totally believe that Anakin really is the chosen one and conceived by the midis, and Qui-Gon even uses modifiers when discussing the situation with the council:

YODA: Master Qui-Gon, more to say have you?
QUI-GON: With your permission, my Master. I have encountered a vergence in the Force.
YODA: A vergence, you say?
MACE WINDU: Located around a person?
QUI-GON: A boy... his cells have the highest concentration of midi-chlorians I have seen in a life form. It is possible he was conceived by the midi-chlorians.
MACE WINDU: You're referring to the prophesy of the one who will bring balance to the Force... you believe it's this boy??
QUI-GON: I don't presume...
YODA: But you do! Revealed your opinion is.

I really wish Lucas would do something like my theory in Eps 2 and 3 to fix this stuff, he leaves enough of it open to get around the stuff in Ep 1 simply with a line or two of dialogue, but I fear Lucas will let it stay as it stands in Ep 1, which is a waste of material for Eps 4-6 IMO.