PDA

View Full Version : Can Jedi / Sith forsee their own deaths?

Darkross
03-26-2002, 11:56 AM
Here's a head scratcher for you...

Can a Jedi or a Sith forsee their own death? The reason I ask this is if the Emperor could forsee his own death, then you would think that he would have finished off Vader first then killed Luke. Or at least would have prevented Vader from turning on him.

What about Darth Maul, gloating in his over confidence, could he not have forseen that Obi-wan would slice him in half moments later?

What about Qui-Gon, who to this day died a very stupid way...falling for the oldest trick in the book...(what's that on your shirt?...oops...gotcha!). Don't you think that if he forsaw his own death (perhaps when he was meditating between the energy beams...that he might have fought differently? Or maybe he sacrificed himself so that Obi-wan would become a Jedi...forseeing that Obi-wan would defeat Maul?

Rollo Tomassi
03-26-2002, 12:04 PM
I think you just answered your own question. Palpatine certainly didn't see his death coming because he's the type of chap to NOT want to die. Had he seen it coming he definitely would have changed tactics.

QuiGon's expression when he got hisself skewered didn't look like someone who had forseen that happening when he was meditating a few moments earlier.

Maul didn't have much of a clue about anything, let alone his death.

Jedi/Sith cannot forsee their own death. Always in motion is the future...

browndroid
03-26-2002, 12:49 PM
i agree with rollo, but ben kenobi aka obi wan, knew his death, well because he's the one who caused it, looked over at luke then lowered his saber and died...but the others didnt in my humble opinoin...

chewie
03-26-2002, 02:38 PM
Palpatine I think could forsee his demise. That is why he insisted on killing Luke after Luke refused to kill his father and threw down his only means of defense.

The trouble is, with the cloudly nature of seeing the future, he didn't know that even though it was Luke that was the reason he was killed, it was Vader that did the actual killing. Luke was certainly there at the time of his demise, just as he saw.

Darkross
03-26-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by chewie
Palpatine I think could forsee his demise. That is why he insisted on killing Luke after Luke refused to kill his father and threw down his only means of defense.

The trouble is, with the cloudly nature of seeing the future, he didn't know that even though it was Luke that was the reason he was killed, it was Vader that did the actual killing. Luke was certainly there at the time of his demise, just as he saw.

Interresting point of view! Seems to make sense!

LTBasker
03-26-2002, 03:59 PM
Well since they obviously wouldn't plan dying, it most likely wouldn't be in their visions since the future is always in motion, plus the people who killed them could react differently than they do in the vision.

Dryanta
03-26-2002, 05:35 PM
I'd have to say no on this one.
Jedi would most likely have a kind of peace with it,but Sith?NO WAY!!
They'd never sit back and watch that particular Vision play out.
I don't think Obi wan knew the outcome of his trip to the Death star,not until he decided to lower his saber .I don't think Yoda really died like everyone else.he just sorta let go.Maul,Palpatine,Qui gon,they had no clue.
Anakin,I think was the same as Obi wan no idea until he decided to grab hold of Palpatine knowing it would kill him.
But then again I'm no Jedi and I know I'll die. ;)

chewie
03-26-2002, 06:55 PM
Palpatine was so happy when he was about to kill off Luke, not because he was killing Luke, but because he thought he had beaten his fate. Yet just as he thought he had, he got killed, just as he predicted.

Palpatine had 2 ways of beating his fate. He already saw that Luke was going to become a powerful Jedi and kill him. So he either had to (plan 1) convert Luke to a Sith or (plan 2) kill him. How did Luke become a Jedi? Yoda said he must face and defeat Vader, which Luke did. So as soon as he beat Vader, he became a Jedi, and thusly Palpatine's vision was near completion. After plan 1 failed, he instantly switched to plan 2. I think of all force masters, Palpatine was the only one who could see it coming.

And he didn't act foolishly about how he went about dealing with the Luke Skywalker problem. Palpatine realized that no matter what, Luke was going to face his father and then Palp would die. "It is unavoidable.", as he said.