PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Know Why the Jedi Council Has Different Members?

IcebergSlim
03-26-2002, 12:04 PM
Is it based solely on the time between TPM and AOTC or is there an actual reason?

Jargo
03-26-2002, 01:51 PM
The jedi have a rotational election process. There are something like three permanent members and then the others are there for either a set period or get rotated off to be replaced by new members. I can't remember the exact numbers but Yaddle and Yareal Poof were rotated off. Yaddle went back to her studies and librarian role and yareal was Assasinated by Zam Wessel apparently. I guess being dead was a good enough reason to rotate yareal off the council......

JEDIpartner
03-26-2002, 01:54 PM
Mace COULD have pulled a "Norman Bates" and let the corpse of Yarael Poof sit in the chair until he mumified. That would have been funny.

Yeah... I understood that there were permanent members and temporary members as well. I think that was done to bring "fresh eyes" to the council.

PloKoon2385
03-26-2002, 04:32 PM
There are four permanent members and also members with terms. I believe Plo Koon, Mace Windu, and Yoda are permanent members, but I don't know the fourth. I am guessing Ki-Adi Mundi.

Rollo Tomassi
03-26-2002, 09:38 PM
I thought it was three permanent members, four long term (10 years) and five short term (1-2 years). Drat. Where's that silly hand guide to Jedi Council Rotational procedures when you need it?:(

Lord Tenebrous
03-26-2002, 09:43 PM
Five permanant, four long-term, and three limited-term

I don't think it's ever been disclosed as to who has what type. I doubt even Lucas knows who's in for the long haul (well, besides Yoda)

PloKoon2385
03-26-2002, 11:43 PM
Are you sure? I thought it was 4-4-4. That makes sense to me. Hmm... Now I'm am confuseded...o know.... Anyways, I read it in a book or something. Maybe it was the Starwars.com database... I dunno... someone find out and help us all!:crazed: :crazed:

SithDroid
03-27-2002, 12:19 AM
GL probably just replaced Yarell Poof because he didn't want to have to deal with having him in the huge lightsaber battle. His long neck would be the problem, so I think GL got rid of him.

Sauron
03-27-2002, 11:27 PM
Does Anyone Know Why the Jedi Council Has Different Members?

*Kitster voice*- "To make more action figures of course!"

;)

jedibear
03-31-2002, 08:14 PM
....I recall reading somewhere that one of the reasons Yaddle & Yareal went was this....

Yoda is completely CG in the new film as well as having a bigger role. Having the Yaddle puppet could have been visually distracting and maybe a little confusing for the casual viewer.
Getting used to the CG Yoda is going to be a big enough hurdle as it is. Having said that, ILM has proven that they can do
"subtle"...witness the Aniversary version of "ET" in the theatres....the puppet is still obviously there, but slightly enhanced with more expressive facial (and full-body) features. When I first read about this, I thought it would be really obvious, but as a credit to ILM's artistry, the changes don't overwhelm the earlier puppet work. I only hope the same for Yoda....part of what makes that character tick is the wonderful performance of Frank Oz. I hope his imput is somewhere visable in the enw CGI version.....

Now as for Poof.....spoiler hounds know that the long-necked Querman shares a visual look with another new species featured in AOTC....the Kaminoians. Again, to avoid some visual confusion, Poof was eliminated so the new race would really shine....

We don't know Yaddle's "official" fate yet, but Yareal's demise is well illustrated in the "Zam Wessell" comic....