PDA

View Full Version : Who's better: Maul or Vader? (merged)

GNT
08-16-2001, 06:19 AM
Based on Very old thread of mine (which was the 1st thread I ever created a million years ago) I'm now putting it to you again (since this is my 300th thread in the SSG realm!).

Who do you think is better:

Darth Maul:

The young Sith Apprentice
With double sided lightsaber
Fast moving menace
Not skilled enough in the ways of the force
Best known for the Double sided lightsaber

OR

Darth Vader

Old Robotic Man in a Black suit
Has a normal lightsaber
Very slow at times
but is very skilled in the force
Best known for being Lukes father (The line in ESB)

So cast your vote and lets see who is better!

12inch Lando
08-16-2001, 09:36 AM
Vader. The chicks dig the leather.

QLD
08-16-2001, 09:45 AM
Vader, hands down. Every day, and twice on Sunday.

Maul killed one Jedi, Vader hunted down and killed, well, lots and lots.

In short, Maul was like a bad draft pick, all potential with no realization of it.

lynnferd
08-16-2001, 10:01 AM
It's Vader all the way.

JediTricks
08-16-2001, 11:43 AM
Maul moves like a karate expert at an exhibition match, but his Force moves seem tame compared to Vader's. I think Vader has the Force power and the raw strength to overwhelm Maul in a one-on-one saber battle.

JEDIpartner
08-16-2001, 01:13 PM
VA-DER! VA-DER! VA-DER! VA-DER! VA-DER!

Come on! Maul, while very cool looking, was killed by a padawan. Vader, on the other hand, was done in by his master while saving his kid!

That says it all!

the master jedi
08-16-2001, 04:40 PM
Vader is way better. Vader could crush Maul with the force with a snap of his fingures.

BenQuad
08-16-2001, 08:12 PM
Old Robotic Man in a Black suit

Hey GNT - can you clarify old?

By my estimations, Vader/Anakin is only about 40 - 45 years old in the OT.

C'mon people, exactly how old is Vader?

evenflow
08-16-2001, 08:21 PM
Has to be Vader. He survives through six movies, while Maul is done after one.

JediTricks
08-17-2001, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by BenQuad
By my estimations, Vader/Anakin is only about 40 - 45 years old in the OT.

C'mon people, exactly how old is Vader?

If Anakin is 9 in TPM, TPM takes place 32 years before ANH, and ANH is 3.5 years before ROTJ, then Anakin Skywalker is 45 when we see him for the last time.

Darth Cruel
08-17-2001, 03:12 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Darth Maul would have sliced and diced Vader like a Popiel Kitchen invention. 'nuff said!

Obi-Don
08-17-2001, 08:46 AM
Vader all the way! He was more skilled in the dark side and to me more powerfull.He didn't have to use his lightsaber to get what he wanted and I believe that in time and if things when another way with Luke,Vader would have taken out the emp.and took his rightful place as master.

VADER RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eternal Padawan
08-17-2001, 11:50 AM
I would have to go with Vader on this one...Vader would have gotten annoyed with Maul prancing around, doing flips and jumps and dropped a building on him. game over.

artdoesart
08-17-2001, 06:03 PM
definitely Vader. i have to agree with the previous post.. maukl would be doing some kung-fu and vader would laugh and just throw something at him and remark "all too easy'.....

vader is a classic, u can't knock on him.. maul is cool too could have made ep1 great until lucas felt the urge to compete with pokemon and got a stupid kid actor to playa anakin (loyd).. i know he is just a kid but so is haley joe osmond... ur ur gonna play the part, play it right..

bigbarada
08-18-2001, 02:35 PM
I like how people think GL sits around and writes his movies. "Let's see I put this in to compete with Pokemon, I put this in to compete with Teletubbies, I'll put this in to compete with Power Rangers..."

C'mon give the man a little more credit than that. Did you expect Vader to emerge fully grown from the womb?

Oh yeah, Maul wouldn't even get within fifty feet of Vader before being discovered and dealt with most unpleasantly.

stillakid
08-18-2001, 05:02 PM
Maul would kick Vader's caped butt. Need proof? Compare Luke's clumsy saber lunging in the final duel with Vader. If Vader was such a great master of the Force, he would've been dodging those wimpy jabs and doing flips himself.

Before somebody argues that "well, Luke's anger made him powerful" (and, man, am I tired of having to reply to lamebrained excuses like that), a guy can get angry, but that doesn't necessarily give him some kind of physical power that would have driven Vader to some kind of sudden spontaneous exhaustion like we saw. If Luke had used a "Force Push" or something like that, then maybe, but he didn't. Just lame-o saber swinging.

Maul would've diced young Skywalker into a billion pieces and ergo, Vader too.

JediTricks
08-18-2001, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Darth Cruel
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Darth Maul would have sliced and diced Vader like a Popiel Kitchen invention. 'nuff said! So you're saying he would have spun around for a few minutes and then broke down, all the while ripping you off on shipping and handling fees? ;)

I think Anakin should have been an early teenager in Ep 1, and I think Lucas did too at first. Look at the designs of the character in the Ep 1 Illustrated Screenplay.

I don't think Jake Lloyd is the one at fault with the character of Anakin in Ep 1, I think it's Lucas' bad directing and poor casting that's at fault. Kids don't have the internal emotional backgrounds to base acting upon, so the director needs to give them more motivation, but Lucas isn't an actor's director, he lets them do whatever they want. Also, while Lloyd does have some talent, he was poorly cast because he's a very young 7 year old kid playing a mature 9-year old. Look at the pick-up shots of Anakin which were done when Jake was a year and a half older, he's taller, his hair isn't baby-fine, he's lost his baby teeth, some of that baby fat, and he seems less like an infant, but most of the film he looks barely old enough to be a toddler.

2-1B
08-18-2001, 06:15 PM
JediTricks, you are so right about those pickup shots! The first to come to mind is the scene of Anakin showing up to say goodbye to Padme.

I think we agree that Anakin should have been a teenager - I plan to start a new thread addressing this question and my other reasons for it.

humsup
08-18-2001, 09:42 PM
Vader definitely better simply because he appear in 2 more movie than Maul and he died in one piece (not to mention the palm that was chopped off by Luke. Hey, that's 1 for 1 and fair deal :) )

GNT
08-19-2001, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by humsup
Vader definitely better simply because he appear in 2 more movie than Maul and he died in one piece (not to mention the palm that was chopped off by Luke. Hey, that's 1 for 1 and fair deal :) )

So because he was in 2 more movies,does that make him better?

Obi-Don
08-19-2001, 06:13 AM
Drop a building on him. I liked that,Funny! :D

Griff
08-19-2001, 12:10 PM
One word... Maul.

BenQuad
08-20-2001, 10:15 AM
Vader would win every time.......... sure maul would bounce around and look real flash, but eventually he'd just end up sushi.:p

GNT
08-21-2001, 04:57 AM
Yes but Vader would need his air puffer since he would be out of breath!

Obi-Don
08-21-2001, 10:27 AM
Vader would just stand there and watch Maul doing all his jumps and back flips and when Maul was finished just "ring the little Ba@#$#@# neck for tring to up stage him".:D

BenQuad
08-21-2001, 04:41 PM
Vader would totally GONK him......... oh no, it's catching :p

Darth Cruel
08-27-2001, 11:26 PM
Let's go over the facts.

HEALTH:
Vader - Needed armor just to breath.
Maul - Was as healthy as a horse.
Advantage - Maul

FIGHTING ABILITY:
Vader - Could hardly move to swing a lightsaber so he had to cheat with The Force.
Maul - Had that Bruce Lee on Crystal Meth thing going and still had The Force.
Advantage - Maul

IMPRESSIVE FEATS:
Vader - Only killed Obi-Wan Kenobi because Obi-Wan let him to effect the escape of the rebels from the Death Star.
Maul - Almost beat TWO of the very best Jedi at once and DID kill one of them.
Advantage - Maul

TOUGH TO DEFEAT:
Vader - Was defeated (not killed) in a lightsaber duel by a poorly trained Jedi Knight with NO experience lightsaber fighting.
Maul - Had to be ganged up on by TWO of the very best Jedi in the Universe (which is very cowardly).
Advantage - Maul

Lets go over the score
Maul - 4
Vader - 0

AND THE WINNER IS.......DARTH MAUL

'NUFF SAID! :D

This post was edited to correct the oversight mentioned in the next post.

Obi-Don
08-28-2001, 09:32 AM
Vader was not killed by a poor trained jedi.He gave his life to save his son and to do the right thing.Thats what brought Vader back from the darkside.If anything it took the Emperor to take out Vader.

Darth Cruel
08-28-2001, 12:02 PM
Pardon me, you are correct. Vader was not killed by a poorly trained Jedi Knight. But he did have his butt handed to him in a lightsaber duel with said experience-less Jedi Knight.

stillakid
08-28-2001, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Obi-Don
Vader was not killed by a poor trained jedi.He gave his life to save his son and to do the right thing.Thats what brought Vader back from the darkside.If anything it took the Emperor to take out Vader.

No, no. Vader was beaten before he made that choice. Luke's amateurish hacking away with his lightsaber should have been a cakewalk for any half trained Jedi to fend off. Essentially the problem with that sequence is that the filmmakers did not choreograph a decent fight sequence that could equal or outdo the one in TPM. That's one of the problems with shooting a series out of order. Vader appears quite inept when he shouldn't be. In theory Vader probably could wipe Maul off the face of the galaxy, but in practice, as filmed, the evidence is to the contrary.

BenQuad
08-28-2001, 06:36 PM
No, no. Vader was beaten before he made that choice. Luke's amateurish hacking away with his lightsaber should have been a cakewalk for any half trained Jedi to fend off. Essentially the problem with that sequence is that the filmmakers did not choreograph a decent fight sequence that could equal or outdo the one in TPM. That's one of the problems with shooting a series out of order. Vader appears quite inept when he shouldn't be. In theory Vader probably could wipe Maul off the face of the galaxy, but in practice, as filmed, the evidence is to the contrary.

Ok heres my take... Vader was caught by surprise by Luke who, with temporary dark-side strength, overcame his father and brought him to the point of submission.
Although inelegant, that final part of the duel was a very powerful scene. It was just pure strength and willing (on Luke's part).

TPM was a little different (and visually superb)... but that was then and this is now - or whatever...............

As much I enjoyed the 3 way duel in TPM... Nothing can take away the sheer anger and power of Vader's defeat.

Obi-Don
08-29-2001, 09:10 AM
I stand corrected about Vader being defeated by Luke,but you have to wonder if Vader's heart was in the fight.I mean this was his son he was fighting and he was having doubts about what he should do.I use the talk he and Luke had before Luke was taken to the Emperor.The conflict that Luke felt from his father.That had to have some effect on Vader's will to fight,not forgetting the raw power that Luke processes. Just something to think about.

stillakid
08-29-2001, 11:18 AM
I see two problems. One is that Vader just got finished declaring that he would forget about turning Luke and concentrate on Leia. This wouldn't necessarily automatically preclude him from killing Luke outright. Those "doubts" didn't seem present. There just wasn't any time given to show any doubt of the sort.

The second is that ( and I knew that somebody would bring it up ) is the whole idea of Luke "growing strong with the Dark Side" and "his hate has made [him] powerful." Theoretically Luke might exhibit greater strength and become a better sword fighter (neither of which we see in that final thrashing about), but more importantly Luke becoming stronger doesn't suddenly make Vader an inept fighter.

So to conclude A) Vader had no instant motivation to preserve Luke's life and B) Vader is not made instantly inept at fighting by Luke sudden anger.

A+B=While Vader SHOULD have been an amazing swordsman, we never saw any evidence of it actually play out.

C) the final duel in TPM was amazing. The skill level shown by both Obi Wan and Maul outdid anything we ever saw from Old Ben, Vader, or Luke.

So A+B<C. Maul wins.

El Chuxter
08-29-2001, 05:03 PM
I still stand by what I said on the old forums (http://209.197.112.151/thread.html?dom=ss&TID=8&PID=5339):

Maul: defeated by Obi-Wan
Vader: defeated Obi-Wan
Point: Vader

Maul: sucked up to Palpatine until his butt was sliced in two
Vader: sucked up to Palpatine, but then killed Palpy's wrinkly butt

Maul: fought a total of four Jedi in his career, killed by the fourth
Vader: fought almost all the Jedi during his career, only left about four alive

Vader: extremely tall Scottish chap who towers over Imperials
Maul: short British guy who looks comical next to those extremely tall (6') Neimoidians

Maul: little-known actor for voice over
Vader: James Earl Jones for voice over

Vader: scares people when he talks
Maul: too scared to talk

Vader: walks around bottomless chasms on a regular basis
Maul: falls into the first bottomless chasm he encounters

Maul: quickly dispatched by foe after defeating another foe
Vader: dies as results of injuries suffered while fighting two of the strongest Force users around

Maul: falls apart when he falls
Vader: makes trampoline noise when he falls

Maul: not a hit with girls
Vader: scored with Natalie Portman

I'd like to also point out that only Vader has the brains to brush his teeth. :D

stillakid
08-29-2001, 05:08 PM
Geesh, when you put it that way...

Maul might've scored with Portman but never really had the opportunity. That's a lesson for all of us.

Darth Cruel
08-30-2001, 01:43 AM
El Chuxter, come on now. Most of the points you imported from the other thread aren't even serious, and the ones that are are easy to dispute.

As I mentioned before, the only reason Vader killed Obi-Wan is because Bbi-Wan let him to help the rebels escape.

And I have never read anywhere that Vader killed all the Jedi (or ANY of them other than Obi-Wan). He just helped track them down.

Maul is the indisputable Sith Champion to date.:)

JediTricks
08-30-2001, 01:03 PM
Riiiight, Maul's so good that he stood there with activated lightsaber at his side, turned around, and watched as a Jedi padawan - whom had just flown completely OVER one side of him and down the other without any defense and was ripe for the cutting - sliced him in half. Yeah, that's a real talented fighter... Maul acts like Obi-Wan unplugged the Sith Lord's joystick while they were playing Mortal Kombat.

Darth Cruel
08-31-2001, 02:09 AM
See what I mean? Darth Maul is so powerful...Obi-Wan had to have help from the scriptwriters to kill him!:D

JediTricks
08-31-2001, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Darth Cruel
See what I mean? Darth Maul is so powerful...Obi-Wan had to have help from the scriptwriters to kill him!:D LOL!!! Ok, I'll give you that, but Qui-Gon did rightfully lay the smack down on Maul earlier in the battle and could have easily killed Maul at that scene but Lucas chose to not write it that way (Qui-Gon pimp-slaps Maul off the higher catwalk and then jumps down to join the stunned Sith who's just laying there, but Qui-Gon could have led his drop with his saber thrusting straight down and run the weakened, stunned Maul right through), so it goes both ways.

ki-adi mundi's bro
08-31-2001, 02:56 PM
um, how about uh VADER! he is so cool and ruthless...

Lobito
10-17-2001, 10:23 PM
Lets see... Maul just cleared one Jedi...Vader cleared all but two...(Yoda and OB1).

Winner: Darth.:cool:

hairless chewie
10-18-2001, 06:54 AM
I think that it might be fair to wait until we see all the prequels first before we rush to judgement. Its a matter of time before we see Anakin's true skills.

GNT
01-31-2002, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Lobito
Lets see... Maul just cleared one Jedi...Vader cleared all but two...(Yoda and OB1).

Winner: Darth.:cool:

Darth Vader?Darth Maul?

SithDroid
01-31-2002, 01:33 AM
I think Lobito means Vader, GNT. As for me I'd have to say Vader as well. If you compare their fighting styles (in the movies), Maul is much faster and more graceful than Vader, but when it comes down to it GL never had a martial arts expert inside the Vader suit, so if the man behind Vader's mask were a martial artist, then we would have seen some really cool battles. If we take that into consideration, I'd still have to go with Vader. Sure it would be harder to move around than Maul because of his Mask and everything, but Vader is much more skilled. When it comes down to it, Vader wins. Plus Obi-Wan did in Maul and Vader did in Obi-Wan, the man who killed Maul.

Lobito
01-31-2002, 01:32 PM
Thats right!! Vader would just choke the creeper. Dath Vader that is...hehehe

chewie
01-31-2002, 06:36 PM
By the time of ANH. Vader hadn't actually killed any Jedi for about 15 years or so I'd say.

He was an extremely rusty swordsman in the OT.

However, his history has shown that he ran around getting rid of most of the Jedi.

Maul was an assassin. Killing political enemies of Palpatine (at least as much as the EU stories go by). He didn't dare reveal his sith-self to the rest of the universe until Palpatine began to play his big cards. The very first big assignment, Maul gets killed.

Now it definitely was a big-time cowardly thing to fight 2 on one vs Maul, but we don't yet know how many Jedi Vader fought at once during his heyday.

I'd say if Maul had survived, he could have potentially been better than Vader. But Vader's history of wins over Jedi show overwhelmingly that he was the better fighter, or at least more skilled in using force powers.

Vader's skill hasn't yet been proven on screen yet, but Obi-Wan did say that Vader killed them all in ANH.

One on one, Maul in his prime (as seen on screen), vs Vader in his prime (not yet seen). Vader would win.

Vader as he was in the OT vs. a Maul from E1. Maul would win.

Vader in the OT vs. a Maul aged accordingly. Vader would win.

2 out of 3. Vader wins over Maul.

Lman316
02-01-2002, 01:14 PM
....and STILL champion: Darth Vader!

SithDroid
02-01-2002, 04:07 PM
Plus Vader also beats Maul in the one shot Darkhorse comic book.

sith_killer_99
02-01-2002, 07:06 PM
Oh, I liked that one.

Even if it was a little hokey (Maul Clone?!?!?!).

My favorite part was when Maul asked what Vader hated soooo much to make him sooo strong.

Vader simply says "Myself".

Very dark, very cool. It actually gives some accurate insight into Vader's "Darkside". What makes him tick.

BTW:

Maul: Bad Guy:Pirate: Dies:dead:

Vader: Good Guy:) Becomes Bad Guy:Pirate: Becomes Good Guy Again:) Dies:dead: Survives In Spirit Form:)

Winner: Vader

Besides, Vader lives long enough to fight and kill more than 1 Jedi. Maul had a hard time killing 1 stupid punk and his droid. hehehehe:D;)

bigbarada
02-01-2002, 08:29 PM
Maul failed every mission he was given in Ep1. He was killed by a padawan because he was an idiot. And to top it all off, he had awful dental hygiene!:)

I pick Vader.

GNT
02-01-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Maul failed every mission he was given in Ep1. He was killed by a padawan because he was an idiot. And to top it all off, he had awful dental hygiene!:)

I pick Vader.

So he might have failed a few times :rolleyes: but he had more speed than old man Vader would ever have!

SithDroid
02-03-2002, 01:02 AM
Only because Ray Park was played by a martial artist and David Prowse was not. If you look at it just by the movies, then yes Maul is faster. But Vader is smarter. And also, you should take into account the EU that exists for the Maul and Vader characters. If you take that into consideration, Vader still wins.

sith_killer_99
02-03-2002, 10:06 AM
Also Vader/Anakin was stronger in the force in other ways.

ESB is a classic example. When Han shoots at Vader he absorbs and re-directs the laser blast. At least that is the way it is described in the EU stories. In the movie he simply appears to deflect the blast with his hand. Either way...Most impressive.

Also in ESB, when he defeats Luke he uses the force to attack Luke with various objects. He keeps hammering him with stuff, thus breaking Luke's concentration.

We only saw Maul do the force levatation thing once. Maul was specifically trained in a variety of fighting styles his whole life, and still got his but kicked by a Padawan.

Not to mention Vader's his abilities as a pilot, or his ability to read minds as shown in EP1, or even the OT..."SO you have a sister."

Clearly Vader has more force tools at his disposal, as seen in the movies. I'm not saying that Maul does not, simply that we never see them.

Winner: Vader :Pirate: (IMHO)

GNT
02-04-2002, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
Also Vader/Anakin was stronger in the force in other ways.

ESB is a classic example. When Han shoots at Vader he absorbs and re-directs the laser blast. At least that is the way it is described in the EU stories. In the movie he simply appears to deflect the blast with his hand. Either way...Most impressive.

Also in ESB, when he defeats Luke he uses the force to attack Luke with various objects. He keeps hammering him with stuff, thus breaking Luke's concentration.

We only saw Maul do the force levatation thing once. Maul was specifically trained in a variety of fighting styles his whole life, and still got his but kicked by a Padawan.

Not to mention Vader's his abilities as a pilot, or his ability to read minds as shown in EP1, or even the OT..."SO you have a sister."

Clearly Vader has more force tools at his disposal, as seen in the movies. I'm not saying that Maul does not, simply that we never see them.

Winner: Vader :Pirate: (IMHO)

Vader is wearing gloves ;) Maul used objects at the 2 jedi, the Battle droid head/body.Maybe but he killed a Jedi Master which is impressive

So in a way they are equal :)

Beast
02-04-2002, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by GNT
So in a way they are equal :)

Oh man GNT, I cannot believe that you didn't say it. You were so close to quoting it, so I'll just say it for you. :D

So in a way they are equal, from a certain point of view.

As far as the whole Vader vs. Maul thing. I gotta go with Vader. Maul had no patience, he would have attacked Vader all out while Vader just kept blocking until he wore him down, and then carved him up. Vader also looks great in black leather, alot better then the costume Maul wore in E1. :)

Maul was nothing more then an obediant patsy for Sidious, just keeping everyone busy while Palpatine gained control of the Senate. Vader lied about his son, and if you believe what he said to Luke in Empire and Jedi, as well as EU stories, was plotting to kill Palpatine with Luke's help, so Luke and him could rule. :) Maul had absolutly no ambition.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sith_killer_99
02-04-2002, 01:02 PM
Stormtrooper armor isn't even that effective for deflecting blaster fire, yet Vader's LEATHER glove has no trouble doing so.:rolleyes: ;)

What I was trying to say about Vader's fight scene with Luke was...toward the end of their fight on Bespin he didn't even have to use his saber to fight. He even drops his guard, and just sends all kinds of things flying at him. He kicked Luke's but without having to lift a finger.

Maul was distracted by Obi-Wan's simple, force assisted jump/flip thing and it got him killed.

As for Maul defeating Gui-Qon, well the sun shines on a dog's @$$ sometimes. Just look at who went to the Superbowl this year!!!;)

SuperBattleDroid88
05-13-2002, 07:49 PM
Ok...
Which one is your favorite sith? Darth Maul or Darth Vadar? And if they both dueled, which one would win?
I would have to say Darth Maul for both of them...

Dryanta
05-13-2002, 07:52 PM
Vader for both.I'm really not all that impressed with maul.

Battle Droid
05-13-2002, 07:57 PM
Maul, Vader is an old fart in the OT.

Dryanta
05-13-2002, 08:04 PM
It's funny,when I read the thread I thought to myself that the answers might be split down the middle by the ages of the posters."Old Fart in the OT "kinda proves it.lol

Battle Droid
05-13-2002, 08:09 PM
If the whiney farm boy known as Luke can defeat Vader, then it'd be easy for Maul to.

Beast
05-13-2002, 08:12 PM
I gotta go with Darth Vader, much cooler Sith Lord, charecter and costume then that horny little devil, Darth Maul. Infact after E2 he won't even be my second favorite Sith, thanks to Christopher Lee and his new charecter. Heck, frankly in my opinion Maul gets beat out by Sidious/Palpatine(OT) even, in the grand scheme of things. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

dr_evazan22
05-13-2002, 08:12 PM
I'm gonna go w/ Vader here. He's got some real depth to his character, he could be any of us in the right circumstances.

Maul on the other hand didn't have much depth. In all that's been shown of him, including from the EU, he seemed like a hunter/attack dog. I could envision him wiping out all the Jedi (if he had lived).

Dryanta
05-13-2002, 08:13 PM
Luke wouldn't have lasted two seconds into their first meeting if Vader wasn't trying to get him to turn.Not a good comparison.It's like saying if maul gets killed by Obi Wan then Vader takes obi wan out then it settles the issue.The fact is obi wan put's them both down so he's alot better than either of them right?;)

Eternal Padawan
05-13-2002, 11:15 PM
Yes.

;)

2-1B
05-14-2002, 01:17 AM
How did Threeps pronounce his name to the Ewoks?
"Nootch Vadah" ?
I vote for him :D

bigbarada
05-14-2002, 02:45 AM
Maul kills Qui-Gonn
Obi-Wan kills Maul
Obi-Wan defeats Anakin who turns into Vader
Vader kills Obi-Wan
Vader defeats Luke
Luke defeats Vader
The Emperor almost kills Luke
Vader kills the Emperor

Vader killed the Emperor after losing his hand and being exhasuted from fighting Luke. The Emperor was hitting Vader full force with his force lightning and it still didn't stop Vader from chucking him down a hole. Maul was killed by a Jedi apprentice because he was arrogant, unobservant and stupid. Maul was a one-trick pony, Vader is the central character of the entire saga.

187-Maul
05-14-2002, 08:41 AM
I have to say it's a tie with me between my favorite charactere
vader is "the man" and looks cool etc. but darth maul just fights that darn cool and looks so cool
maybe darth majl should have lived Episode 1 and be given more depth since he doesn't even say that much in the movie

but in a simple fight without rules or anything and putting the whole charactere development aside I think Maul would win

Dryanta
05-14-2002, 09:17 AM
maul is fast no doubt.But to be fair we have yet to see a young Vader/Anakin at work.
All we ever saw of Vader really was a very slow deliberate lumbering style.Why not.He didn't have much competition.
Obi Wan was an older man on the death star.And wasn't out for blood with Luke either time.Don't get me wrong Maul has ability but IMHO no where near on the same level as Vader.Remember Vader can choke others to death from a distance ie.ship to ship.
Maul showed no such ability at all.Because he never did it doesn't mean he can't.But why wouldn't he have when Qui Gon jumped on the ramp of the royal Starship.Yes for the sake of the story,but if it were real he would have used the ability if he had it.

Pendo
05-14-2002, 01:56 PM
Maul is quick, stylish and knows how to handle his double bladed lightsaber, but I would have to say Darth VADER! Vader would kick Mauly's arse! Even if Maul does all his fancy saber stuff, Vader would probably just force kick his arse. Afterall he IS the chosen one, technically.

PENDO!

bigbarada
05-14-2002, 03:10 PM
Sure Maul is fast; but do you really think that Vader would allow Maul to get within spitting distance of him? These are Sith Lords, no reason to assume that they would fight fair. Vader would probably see no point in even wasting his time with Maul and force choke him before ever igniting his saber. These guys are evil through and through, thus there is no pretense of a fair fight.

DeadEye
05-14-2002, 04:35 PM
Vader didn't kill Obi-Wan. He gave himself to the Force. In fact, Obi-Wan probably could have beaten Vader in ANH, but he wanted to distract him long enough for the heroes to get away.

saladin
05-14-2002, 05:30 PM
ok vader would esially win, he much better control of the force and maul was very arrogant. He could use the force to some advantges but vader would over power him.

browndroid
05-14-2002, 06:27 PM
i would have to say vader on both, vader has the cool voice goin and i think is way more powerful. maul was a padawan, vader was a sith master.

SuperBattleDroid88
05-14-2002, 06:31 PM
FUNNY AVATAR BROWNDROID!!!! :D :p

DarthBrandon
05-21-2002, 12:30 AM
Vader would kick Maul's behind all over the Galaxy, plain and simple. Look Obi-Wan killed Maul, Vader Killed Obi- Wan (offered himself up to the force or whatever.) Darth Maul was a simple filler character that's it, Vader is the story being told here.

bandontherun
05-23-2002, 09:11 PM
Who's better?
Vader. My reason:
Obi-wan killed Maul. Vader killed Obi-wan. Case closed.:D

Beast
05-23-2002, 09:14 PM
Give these two threads a read: :)

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8127

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

browndroid
05-23-2002, 09:14 PM
vader, hes got the whole voice going for him at he kicks butt well not really but......

SuperBattleDroid88
05-23-2002, 09:19 PM
I did n't know there was already a topic like that!!! :confused:
MY BAD!!!!!! :D

Beast
05-23-2002, 09:21 PM
Yep SBD88, it was started way back when the new forums were opened. No worries, knowing the mods and their cleaning attempts, they will probably stick them all together sooner or later. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darkross
05-24-2002, 11:51 AM
Darth Vader....hands down! I mean he's mostly machine now...and survived falling into a pit of molten lava...come on...Maul didn't even survive being sliced in half. Molten lava has got to be way more painful! VADER RULES!

JediTricks
05-24-2002, 07:21 PM
Merged. Hard to believe, but this thread is #53!!!

scruffziller
05-26-2002, 11:20 PM
Vader is cooler looking, but Maul's heart is more so leaning to the dark side than Vader's has. Maul would always be a darksider.

Laserbrain
05-30-2002, 02:51 PM
I would have to go with Vader on this one...Vader would have gotten annoyed with Maul prancing around, doing flips and jumps and dropped a building on him. game over.

I hear that! But instead of a building, it would be the Super Star Destoryer Executor!

Game over, man, GAME OVER!

CGSPAWN
06-03-2002, 09:11 PM
There is no need to compare the two.

Maul was young, and he would have gotten stronger.
Vader was young, and he got stronger.

Maul was cocky. If he was not so cocky, I believe he would have grown to be as powerfull as Vader.

And in the EU, Maul does kick Vader's *** good. But it is Maul's cockiness again that get's Vader the "win". Maul was a better fighter, and he took Vader. Vader simply killed Maul when Maul let his guard down...

If I remember the fight correctly...

CGSPAWN
06-03-2002, 09:17 PM
And I must say that those who say "Obi-Wan killed Maul, Vader killed Obi-Wan" are not looking into it straight.

Obi-Wan gave himself for Luke b/c he knew that Luke was so strong b/c he was Vader's son. Obi-Wan didnt get beaten by Vader, he sacraficed himself for the Jedi. That was not really a fair for Obi-Wan, considering he turned off the Saber so Vader could finish him off.

karateyoda17
06-05-2002, 09:33 PM
Well I feel anyone who thinks Maul has even a remote chance of winning any battle with Vader is a complete moron and needs to watch every Vader choke scene in the original movies. Maul would not even swing his saber before Vvader already had him is a deadly force choke.