PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Ames

Dar' Argol
03-26-2002, 09:01 PM
Yesterday I had some extra $ so I decided to get the dirty Biker Scout for my Endor forrest display. It has been sitting on the peg at the Wal-Mart I work at for weeks, mocking me. So, afterwork I strolled out to toys and lo-and-behold. . . . . . its gone!!!! All 5 of them gone!!!! In like 2 days!!!! What's up with that:confused:. So anyway I told my wife I'm going out looking for it cuz I need it. Right. So I went to K-Mart. NOTHING! So I went to KB Toys. NOTHING! I went to Electronics Boutiqe, they had the wave he came in marked down to $4.99, but no Biker Scout! I left there b/c I want the Scout! Looked around at a few other places. NOTHING! Discouraged I called my wife to tell her I'm coming home. She said, what about TRU? I said, I do not want to drive an hour for TRU. I was tired from work. So she suggested Ames. I'm not sure if this a PA contained Store or if its across the country. So I told her I'd check there, it was on the way home. I walk into Ames and head for toys. I got there and stared scaning the action figure aisle. DBZ, Gundum, GI Joe, and Transformers aplenty. But where was . . . . . ah! Here they are. I spotted a R2-Q5 and thought "OOO! I aught to get him". But I wanted the Scout. Then I saw them. AOTC Preview figs. There was the Clone Trooper (Gotta get two of him!), and Zam Wessel (get her), and R3-T7 (WOW, get him too), and Jango (Where's Jango, I don't see Jango. . . . . . . . . there's no Jango!!!!!!). So I ended up walking out of there with 4 figs. Got home and told my wife not to kill me (she thought I was only getting 1 fig and I come home w/4), and opened up my 2nd clone trooper. COOL, I thought. Then I tried to figure out where to hang the rest.
So now I have a new mission. I'm still looking for my dirty Biker Scout, but now I gotta find 2 Jangos. One to open and play with and the other to display with the rest of my carded. Moral of the story: Check out Ames if you have one nearby. It's often overlooked and may contain a gold mine of figs:D

browndroid
03-26-2002, 09:04 PM
very interesting story, unfortunetly i dont think we have one of those...

Rollo Tomassi
03-26-2002, 09:09 PM
And here I thought he was talking about Ames, Iowa, home of the Iowa State Cyclones...Location, Location, Location.

Dar' Argol
03-26-2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
And here I thought he was talking about Ames, Iowa, home of the Iowa State Cyclones...Location, Location, Location.

Sorry Rollo, didn't mean to deceive you:D. BTW, who are the Cyclones? Is that an updated Clone Trooper? Is it the clan that Cyclone, friend of He-Man is from?? Are they one eyed giants??? Just call it a need to know:D. ROTF LMAO:D

dr_evazan22
03-26-2002, 11:32 PM
I'm not sure if it's just the store in Wilmington or all of them, but my Wilmington Ames is closing at some point. I don't shop there myself (too far away), but it may be possible to find some on a closing clearance.

LTBasker
03-26-2002, 11:49 PM
I think Ames is just regional, kinda like Meijer.

If you're ever near one, you might try checking out a non-supercenter wal-mart that's kinda off from the city but is more or less a frequent visiting place for people, they usually get some good stuff in.

SithDroid
03-27-2002, 12:02 AM
I'm with you Rollo. I thought he was talking about Ames, Iowa also. We don't have that store here in NE. Or Meijer. Although a store might be the same store only with a different name. Example:

When I lived in California there was a store I shopped at called Costco, which we do not have here, but is basically the equivalent of a Sam's Club in the midwest. Also Carl Junior is basically a Hardees only it is on the west coast. Strange.:rolleyes:

billfremore
03-27-2002, 12:23 AM
Actually Ames is not too bad if you can find one.
Last time I hit one (in upper NY state) I found a POTJ Sebulba and Fode and Beed.

Unfortunately it was the first store I hit and it was the highlight of that trip. :(

Ah well :)

Mandalorian Candidat
03-27-2002, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by SithDroid
When I lived in California there was a store I shopped at called Costco, which we do not have here, but is basically the equivalent of a Sam's Club in the midwest. Also Carl Junior is basically a Hardees only it is on the west coast. Strange.:rolleyes:

Costco used to be Price Club, which was started in San Diego ages ago. I'm surprised there aren't any in the midwest as there are tons here in UT.

Speaking of them, does anyone want to bet if they'll be carrying AOTC 2-packs this XMas like they did with EP1? I say no.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-27-2002, 10:48 AM
Ames is usually my last ditch attempt at finding Star Wars figures if I was having an unsuccessful hunt. I only go there when I am down on my luck. The Ames in my hometown didn't stock POTJ until about a month ago. I was shocked as I walked in and found the Tessek wave on the pegs. The only Star Wars item they had was a Qui-Gon lightsaber that has been sitting on the pegs for probably close to 3 years now. I also went to an Ames in rural Orleans County in NY State 2 weeks ago (lowest income per capita per person in the country) and they had about 15 Sebulba and Fode and Beeds from the initial waves. :cry:

Bel-Cam Jos
03-27-2002, 11:42 AM
I thought of the old Ames Home Loan company commercials. One of my favorite obscure quotes I use fairly frequently is "A day, Louie. A day. That's bad..." They used to have cavalry riders blowing bugles as people deal with high insurance rates or something.

But I don't think they sell toys.

JetsAndHeels
03-27-2002, 11:57 AM
There used to be an Ames store close to me, but they recently closed down. I guess the company is going out of business.
I did find some pretty good toys there while they were open though. Got some of my first POTJ figs there at a pretty good price.

Lman316
03-29-2002, 01:35 PM
Ugh....Ames.......don't get my started on that. There are just too many Ames around here (here and around WNY). There were two, close to here....one in Bradford, PA, which is about a half an hour from where I live, and the other is up town. The one in Bradford close a while ago - good riddance, I say.
Neither store did (or does) have anything, and I don't think they ever will. I think the latest set of figures that our Ames has was a few Coruscant Guards, Fode and Beed and a ton of Jek Porkins.
I'll just have to stick to Wal*Mart - it's been my best bet as KB, Ames and Kmart refuse to get anything new in.