PDA

View Full Version : Who's married?

Lobito
03-27-2002, 10:42 AM
Just curious...how many of us are married??

Yep, count me in:D !!

JetsAndHeels
03-27-2002, 12:18 PM
Not me. Probably wont ever get married either.
Some people are just not meant to marry.
Of course I would rather be single all my life than be married to the wrong person and have a bad marriage.

2-1B
03-27-2002, 12:27 PM
Is marriage really a prison, like Kramer argues on Seinfeld ?

:D :D :D :D :D

:eek:

stillakid
03-27-2002, 01:17 PM
Yes with two kidlings, though my wife would argue that there are three in the house.

Fulit
03-27-2002, 01:58 PM
My wife and I will be married 6 years on April 1st. Yep, we married on All Fools Day, because we were only 18 and everyone told us we were damn fools. Funny thing is, everyone who told us that is either divorced, seperated, in jail, or dead. Ha ha!

Wolfwood319
03-27-2002, 04:34 PM
Not yet, but the 11th hour draws near.

Dar' Argol
03-27-2002, 06:52 PM
Yep, Happily married for 5 yrs now and she is still with me despite my "hobbie/obsession". Have a lil' 17 month old daughter too. She just likes to laugh at me. . . . . . . my daughter! . . . . . . . . . .ok, my wife too!:(

stillakid
03-27-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
Not yet, but the 11th hour draws near.

Stop, before it's too late! :eek:

billfremore
03-27-2002, 07:24 PM
Soon...

September 1, 2002

Dryanta
03-27-2002, 07:25 PM
Sure am.and happily too.Four daughters 12,10,4 and 2.
and all joking aside marridge is far from a prison for me.as a matter of fact I'm more free in some ways than I was as a single

Jargo
03-27-2002, 08:36 PM
I believe it was George bernard Shaw who said something very like "marriage is the custom of selling women into slavery to men"

I don't believe in marriage other than that of two minds. Anything that involves going anywhere near a church or ancient religious tradition is anathema to me.
I live with my partner as though married but we are both still independent of each other and free to come and go as we please. It means less mess should we ever split up.
I'm extremely happy living with my partner though. And I have been for the last six years. prior to that I ony ever managed to stay connected with someone for a maximum of two months. I don't think marriage is necessary at all to show a commitment or united front. A real relationship is stronger than that. In todays society marraige is just a way of getting round mistrust and having a legal document that ties you to the kids and the other half financially for the rest of your natural days. Nine out of ten marriages end in divorce anyway. So why bother in the first place?
because people always have? Oh please spare me! get an ounce of individuality and a personal identity why don't you...

Children are great when they're someone elses and you can give them back at the end of the hour/afternoon/day. Although, If I ever find anyone brave enough to carry a mini me for nine months I may consider siring a sproglet. Can't see the point though really as they cost so much and the only rewards for me would come once they'd grown up enough to move out. Siring a child that someone else looks after and I only saw once it reached conversational age would interest me. I'd just throw money at it until it was old enough to talk philosophy and politics and debate the days news. Then I might consider having it around for a while once every few months. Children aren't much fun these days though seems even the bright ones have difficulty getting to grips with speaking the English language correctly.
There's no point in having a child that can't speak properly. no, children and errant women should be coralled somewhere out of the way until they can be taught how to behave like civil human beings.

Jedi Clint
03-27-2002, 09:01 PM
Almost 4 years and I have 2 girls ages 3 and 9 months.

stillakid
03-27-2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
I believe it was George bernard Shaw who said something very like "marriage is the custom of selling women into slavery to men"

I don't believe in marriage other than that of two minds. Anything that involves going anywhere near a church or ancient religious tradition is anathema to me.
I live with my partner as though married but we are both still independent of each other and free to come and go as we please. It means less mess should we ever split up.
I'm extremely happy living with my partner though. And I have been for the last six years. prior to that I ony ever managed to stay connected with someone for a maximum of two months. I don't think marriage is necessary at all to show a commitment or united front. A real relationship is stronger than that. In todays society marraige is just a way of getting round mistrust and having a legal document that ties you to the kids and the other half financially for the rest of your natural days. Nine out of ten marriages end in divorce anyway. So why bother in the first place?
because people always have? Oh please spare me! get an ounce of individuality and a personal identity why don't you...

Children are great when they're someone elses and you can give them back at the end of the hour/afternoon/day. Although, If I ever find anyone brave enough to carry a mini me for nine months I may consider siring a sproglet. Can't see the point though really as they cost so much and the only rewards for me would come once they'd grown up enough to move out. Siring a child that someone else looks after and I only saw once it reached conversational age would interest me. I'd just throw money at it until it was old enough to talk philosophy and politics and debate the days news. Then I might consider having it around for a while once every few months. Children aren't much fun these days though seems even the bright ones have difficulty getting to grips with speaking the English language correctly.
There's no point in having a child that can't speak properly. no, children and errant women should be coralled somewhere out of the way until they can be taught how to behave like civil human beings.

Darwin comes to mind here.

spacelord
03-27-2002, 10:13 PM

Ouch. That it about the most depressing thing I have ever read on a website about collecting toys. I have found great happiness and contentment in my seven 7 years of marriage. I never new what real joy was until my first child was born.

stillakid
03-27-2002, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by spacelord

Ouch. That it about the most depressing thing I have ever read on a website about collecting toys. I have found great happiness and contentment in my seven 7 years of marriage. I never new what real joy was until my first child was born.

Take comfort that those attitudes, by default, aren't usually passed on to a new generation. Note the Darwin comment.:rolleyes:

TeeEye7
03-28-2002, 05:50 AM
Coming up on 19 years next month. :kiss:

Wish I could say that about our friends. We're an oddity in our circle. Too bad they're not as lucky as I am :p

Pendo
03-28-2002, 06:55 AM
I WAS married for three years, but unfortunatley my wife died in a car crash...:(
I think if she were still here we'd still be married.

PENDO!

gibbspaulus
03-28-2002, 08:33 AM
My partner and I got 'married' four years ago. It was a non-religious, non-legal ceremony as we are gay. However, it meant all the same things to us. Commitment, trust and a lifelong partnership.

Wouldn't give him up for the world....

DahrJin
03-28-2002, 09:14 AM
Been married for going on two years and we've been together for a little ove four. We have one daughter who will be five in July. My wife's great! She puts up with my SW addiction, and lets me have a whole room all for my stuff. She even buys me stuff when I'm not expecting it. :D

JediDan
03-28-2002, 12:38 PM
I could not and would not ever EVER get married. Life is too short to ruin it by having to answer to someone all the time. By having little smelly obnoxious things running around the house. No thx, life is just too short. Being single is so awesome. I love coming home to an empty house, it's so quiet. Money I make is mine, not hers.

I don't know how you people do it. I guess marriage is for many people, but I am not one of them. Thank goodness. :D

187-Maul
03-28-2002, 01:15 PM
Dahrjin, you're together with your wife for 4 years and have a 5 year old daughter ? how's that possible?:confused:

JetsAndHeels
03-28-2002, 01:31 PM
Like I said in my previous post, I feel like some people are not meant to marry. They are the type who are better off on their own. I can think of a few folks I know personally who fit this category.
I would marry if I met the right person. I often feel like the right person isnt always out there though, being that I met the right person twice and then got burned. Not pretty.

JEDIpartner
03-28-2002, 02:25 PM
I'm partnered, but I see no point in marrying since it's a futile and symbolic thing. I'm not allowed any of the rights and privilages of marriage, so why bother.

I'm happy with what I have though... four years and happy happy happy.

mabudonicus
03-28-2002, 03:03 PM
I'm not married, but I seem to have a penchant for really long, odd relationships. I live with my partner currently, and have for a year. The last person I was with for 6 years, three or 4 of which we were living together. Without getting into it too much, my family pretty much doesn't exist anymore, and I have a really hard time when the person I'm "closest" to isn't somehow close by.
Neither of us are religious in any way, and neither of us respect "authority" enough to feel the need to "legitimize" our relationship in any way. Heck, I don't draw up friendship contracts either, what's the point of friends you don't trust?
Just in case, I'm not trying to comment either way about marriage as an institution, and don't see it as good or bad, it all depends on what works for you.(although I am from a thoroughly broken home) WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Mandalorian Candidat
03-28-2002, 03:46 PM
A man was sitting in his kitchen late at night, deep in thought. His wife of several years walked in on him and asked him what he was pondering. The man responded that he was remembering years ago that her father walked in on them in the middle of a very intimate moment. He then recounted that her father reminded the man that he was over 21 and his daughter was under 18, giving him two choices: marry the daughter or go to jail for a very long time. The wife stated that he had nothing to worry about since he did the honorable thing. Upon hearing this comment, the man began to weep.

"What's wrong?" said the wife.

"That happened twenty years ago tonight," stated the man. "I would have been released by now."

;)

JediDan
03-28-2002, 05:23 PM
ROFL.... Oh that one cracked me up wide open. ROFL :D :D

Jedi Clint
03-28-2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Pendo
I WAS married for three years, but unfortunatley my wife died in a car crash...:(
I think if she were still here we'd still be married.

PENDO!

:(

Emperor Howdy
03-29-2002, 12:56 AM
Marriage.......Marriage......Maaaaarriage........j eeez, just saying it sends shivers down my spine. I would rather be held down and have a running water hose stuck up my..*phone rings*....oh...hang on a second....Hello?.....Yeah.....uh-huh....ok, well, I'm right in the middle of a post, so let me call you back in a minute, ok?.....yep....no, I will......ok...later.......*click*..............we ll, alright then, what was I saying? Oh yeah, Maaaaariage.......no thanks. I still enjoy the thrill of dating several women at one time. Nothing like getting eggs thrown at you car, and words like "D***" being written in chalk on the driveway when one finds out. :D

Kids......Kids.....Kiiiiiiiids.....jeeez, just saying it sends shivers down my spine. I would rather be held down and have a.....wait a minute....didn't we cover this? Nothing like poopy diapers, smart mouths, college tuitions, and having the same little snots you spent your whole life working for end up sticking you in a nursing home. No thanks.

Of course, thank God MY parents didn't have my same lousy attitude about me!........For real though, more power to the people here who have found happiness in their wives and families....I think that's great. Maybe I'm just one of those people who aren't cut out for it. I guess I'm destined to be the weird, lonely, bitter hermit that lives in the woods somewhere. You know the guy.....pets in the neighborhood disappear, they blame it on me. Someone's breaking into barns and slaughtering chickens and sheep, they blame it on me. Strange noises and screams are heard in the wee hours of the morning, they blame it on me. Rancid odors are coming from flower beds, they bl....errrr.....wait a second...I'm freaking myself out....how did I get from there to here? I really need to control my imagination. The guy asks me if I'm married, and suddenly I'm Jason Vorhees. :eek: :confused:

P.S. Pendo...sorry, man.

Obi-Don
03-29-2002, 01:33 AM
1st one didn't do so good. Didn't seem to have enough money. Like there ever is. The second one that I'm in ,not so bad. Most of the time it's great. Maybe the marriage is the corner stone that holds two together. I think that sometimes when things get ruff that people give up. I don't believe that a marriage or that two have to be married to have the commitment. Two people who care for one another and share the Love that will last has already made the commitment of marriage. As it has been said.It is a outward sign to all that we are together and will stay. The sad thing is. That marriages as partners or how ever you want to call it,doesn't seem to last like it should. It doesn't matter if your married or together or whatever. What does matter is that you and your wife,husband,boyfriend,girlfriend,or partner work together through the good times and even harder through the bad times. Because when the day is over. Friends come and go. Family moves on to thier own lives. Children grow up and out,but the Love between the two that have worked so hard in life to keep it alive stays. I think that is where happiness is. Don't worry if you are married or not. Just love one another and work on keeping it a live.

As for kids. One minute you want to choke them and the next you want to hug them. It has rewards to all in its own way. I wouldn't give or take anything for mine. In someways ,they are all I have and through them and thier children I live on. Now enough of this mushy stuff. Lets talk Star Wars.

dirtybones
03-29-2002, 09:18 AM
Man you want to talk about marriage? nine year's ago "in a galaxy far far away...." by best friends brother and I drove out from "where hell is 29 palms?" California to visit. The whole trip was to just hang out for a few weeks and maybe throw some of that native California " what's up?" to the lovely Minnesota ladys. Man the next thing I can remember I wake up with this pain on my left finger and find myself a Vikings fan and HATEING:mad: the Green Bay Packers. But, you know what? remember that best friend I came to visit? He turned his back on me for a very small reason and I lost his friend ship. But my wife is and always will be my best friend. So in short, Don't come to Minnesota with a game plan of any kind because the women and the weather will destroy all that with one swipe!!
Hey PENDO, My heart goes out to you for your lose. I lost a child was well, God bless you my friend.

Emperor Howdy
03-29-2002, 11:59 PM
Obi-don....I...*sniff*....have to say....*sniff-sniff*....that was the....:cry:.....the.....*blows nose*......most beautiful post I've......I've....*sniff*....ever read!

(regains composure)

E-hem....whew.....glad that's over. Ok, Vinnie, beat this panty waist's brains in. :evil:

Dar' Argol
03-30-2002, 12:58 AM
You want to talk about something that was ment to be? My wife and I met in high school. Now b/4 you go saying, "oh, another high school sweetheart story" hear me out. We dated for a few months our junior year. Nothing too serious. It wasn't working so we remained friends. We had a better time being friends. We graduated and moved on from HS. The group we ran around with stayed in the area except her. She went to college un upper PA. I got into a relationship with a psyco-B**** that lasted for 2 1/2 agonizing years! I was desperate I think.

On a side note, you know how they say you learn something from every relationship, even the bad ones? Yeah, I learned I can't stand psyco-B****es like her. Anyway, I digress.

Then around X-Mas of '94 I was out shopping for a x-mas card for my psyco-B**** girlfriend when my wife(well, not at the time, her name's Jacki) popped into my head. Long story short I ended up walking out of the store w/a card for her, and nothing for my PB girlfriend. To make and even loger story shorter, I broke up w/PB b/c she said I was messin around with Jacki(my wife), which I was not. I am not that type of guy. So, PB and I ended it. about 2 months later, for reasons beyond my control, I kissed Jacki b/4 she left my house one night. No idea why, I just did:confused: That was the summer of '95. This Nov 22 we celebrate our 5 year anniversery and our daughter turns 2 in Oct.

Moral of the story, sometimes you find that perfect someone, and let them go for a while. But if they are right for you, they will always come back. And, this isn't for everyone. It takes a lot of work to keep something like a marrige going these days. My wife and I always talk about everything. We keep the line of communications open 24/7. And we always say that we love each other b/4 we leave or go top bed. And in the 6 1/2-7yrs we have been together, we have only had one major argument. We work things out then, or if it gets a little heated, we walk away and come back when we are calmed down(it hardly ever gets that bad).

So, now that I have given Howdy or Jargo something to rant on, who wants a Dexter Jexster figure . . . . get your Dexter figures right here folks . . . . . . . . . . .you've seen them on the . . . . . . .

Dar' Argol walks down the avenue, selling his wares

Emperor Howdy
03-30-2002, 01:14 AM
No, Dar' Argol, I'm not going to rant. On the contrary, I thought that was a great story too.

*whispers*

Vinnie, go get Anthony and your brother. Bring tire irons and a roll of plastic.....this ain't gonna be pretty.

Obi-Don
03-30-2002, 06:32 AM
Vinnie! I was only kidding......What is that for.....wait I didn't........Mean to.........Stop...Stop.......Ok,Ok...Never again,I understand.

Man get a little mushy and boy you will pay for it. Now where is my insurance card.:D

2-1B
03-31-2002, 12:35 AM
Congrats Dar' Argol, here's to many more years for you and your family! :)

Dar' Argol
03-31-2002, 10:30 AM
UUUGGGNNNN . . . . . . . . . I *cough* feel your pain *cough cough* Obi-Don. . . . . . . . . . . . . *cough cough Hack! . . . . . . . . . is THAT my spleen?!?!?

Thanx Ceasar! But where were YOU when Vinnie, An'Tony and his brother were here. :cry: Where were you when I needed you?:cry: *cough cough coughHACK! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oh look, my liver . . . . . . . . .

2-1B
03-31-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
Thanx Ceasar! But where were YOU when Vinnie, An'Tony and his brother were here. :cry: Where were you when I needed you?:cry: *cough cough cough[/COLOR]HACK! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oh look, my liver . . . . . . . . .

Why I was . . . out . . . getting canoli just like you requested! :D

sith_killer_99
03-31-2002, 05:31 PM
Without getting into any sociological debate, for or against, the "institution of marriage", I will let it it be know that I am in fact married.

My wife and I have been together for approx. 4 years. We were married on Feb. 29th 2000 and our daughter was born Jan. 27th 2002 (exactly 9 weeks ago tonight @ 10:31 EST)!

My family means more to me than anything in this world! Even Star Wars:crazed:

notafinga
04-01-2002, 01:52 AM
If I could somehow learn the secret of a healthy relationship and maintain one beyond two and a half years I would think about it. Actually, i have thought about it. Then that two and a half years comes up, and girl becomes distant. Late nights without a phone call ensue. Then comes the insistance that nothing's going on, and there is no one else. Next thing you know, I've turned into a cracked out James Bond listening to a phone tap where girl is telling some strange voice that she misses him, and is going to bed thinking about him, and in fact, may play with her "toy".

...and I'm not talking Star Wars, either.

okay, that was only one girl...

but there's a little bit of that horrific episode in every relationship I've encountered.

...and they all started out so promising, too.

:( :( :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Emperor Howdy
04-01-2002, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by notafinga
Next thing you know, I've turned into a cracked out James Bond listening to a phone tap where girl is telling some strange voice that she misses him, and is going to bed thinking about him, and in fact, may play with her "toy".

:eek:......Oh man.....OUCH!!! A little advice, bro: I used to do the whole "freakin' on a chick" thing. Spying...listening in where I shouldn't be....the whole "where ya going/where ya been" deal. If there's aaaaaaanything I've learned in my years it's this: DON'T. Period. It ain't worth it. When it's over...it's over. As a matter of fact, I've done such a 180* turn, that now I'm way TOO indifferent. I'm all about "do what you want...cuz' I sure do". Now chicks freak on me. So do yourself a favor....find the middle ground, be happy, and DON'T get married.

notafinga
04-01-2002, 02:54 AM
Well, u know, the thing was, i really wanted to know if i was justifiably tripping, or if i was just freaking myself out.

The great thing about the tape now is, it makes an eerily fabulous background for a song. Me and my partner have put some music to it, and leme tell ya, itz the shiznik. Maybe i'll invite her to a show and spotlight her, ala Phil Collins.

...Actually, i'm back with her for the moment. Sparing the details of our assorted affairs, i'm addicted to her like an alleybound smackhead.

Regardless, thanx for the advice, Howdy.

Lobito
04-09-2002, 03:56 PM
Old fashioned or New wave relationships have the same result, i married, went with the old fashioned tradition of signing the document with a new wave look. For me signing that document was a commitment for my wife that i will be with her in the good and the bad times and no matter what happens i will be at her side. Now, thats the way i did it, but its not by all means the only way. I agree with most of what has been said here.

Cheers!!!:D

THE Slayer
04-11-2002, 03:17 PM
Lobito,(or anyone)
What's a "new wave" relationship? I think I know what you're talking about but I could be wrong,, way wrong.

Lobito
04-11-2002, 03:22 PM
The way i see it is that new wave is living with your gf without getting married, u dont get to commit infront of everyone. Its just an agreement between the two. :)

THE Slayer
04-11-2002, 03:26 PM
That's what I kinda figured you were talking about. I had a couple of friends who did that for a while, No one every thought they would get married, but they eventually did. So I guess they went from new wave to old school.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-11-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Lobito
The way i see it is that new wave is living with your gf without getting married, u dont get to commit infront of everyone. Its just an agreement between the two. :)

I always thought a new wave relationship meant you listened to Duran Duran and Human League all the time. :)

Lobito
04-11-2002, 03:35 PM
Hehehehe, well thats definitely another way to go!:D

Wolfwood319
04-11-2002, 03:35 PM
Most "New Wave" relationships that I've witnessed always have ended either in break up or marriage. There is something about the freedom in the relationship that ends up in disaster from what I've seen. Although, obviously, I can't speak for everyone, and I support everybody's choice on what to do. My motto has always been "whatever floats your boat." People should always do what makes them happy, IMO.

I think for most people the eventual proposition of "marriage" is to more or less confirm their relationship to everyone else, as well as thereselves.

EDIT: When I use the term "marriage" I'm referring to any type of comittment ceremony where others are invited. Its all cool in my book. Share they joy.

r2dee2
09-06-2002, 11:47 AM
My husband and I have been married for 33 years....I love the guy:) (http://www.twinsuntimes.com/toyforce/IMAGES/mikeanddeeAut_5024%201_4.jpg)

billfremore
09-06-2002, 11:59 AM
My wife and I have been married for 5 days... I love her too (http://dsm.chuckndave.com/events/davendot.php?setdir=&viewing=Rotation%20of%20DCP_1364):D

Lobito
09-06-2002, 12:02 PM
Congrats Bill!! May u live happily everaftereverevereverever:D

Patient Zero
09-06-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by billfremore
My wife and I have been married for 5 days... I love her too (http://dsm.chuckndave.com/events/davendot.php?setdir=&viewing=Rotation%20of%20DCP_1364):D

I can't believe that you finally posted a pic of yourself on the forum! Now we are all going to hunt you down.:evil:

Jedi Drew
09-06-2002, 12:12 PM
I'll be married for two years on Sept. 16th. :eek::eek: No it's fun and I love my wife!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

Darth Vellner
09-06-2002, 12:59 PM
I'll be Married 4 years on Oct. 24th. :)

Rogue II
09-06-2002, 01:28 PM
I got married on 10 April 1999. We dated for 5 years before we got married. Since we got married, I've spent almost half of that time in the opposite hemisphere than her because of my job. On the good side, she looks for Star Wars stuff for me when I'm not around.

Our daugter just turned 1 last month. Lets just say I'm glad I'm not collecting many Saga figures this year because of the cost of diapers. Anyway, she always tries to sneak upstairs to play with my Star Wars figures. I had to put all of the small weapons and helmets where she can't get them.

jedi_uk73
09-06-2002, 06:23 PM
Not married yet, been with my 'better' half for 4½ yrs, and just recently got engaged...ahhhhhhhh...

Had to do it, it was the only thing I could think of getting her for her 25th B'day. Still it kept her quiet.....for a few days :rolleyes:

Jargo
09-06-2002, 07:43 PM
And to look at bill you wouldn't think he was the kind of guy who could invent such an evil concept as the NERF™ crotch bat. wonders will never cease to amaze......

I can't remember what i said earlier on, did I slam marriage or something? Can't be bothered to read back that far. Life changes your outlook. It took me six years to actually fall in love with my partner. The love was there but just a sort of benign love, a general love and acceptance of another person and a partner. It took me six years to be able to look at this person and think "my god you're amazing!" and feel that deep rich seam of unstoppable gushy love and well being that's being in love.
I still don't feel that signing on the dotted line is neccesary, love is enough. if you find someone that's able to co-exist for six years and you've lived with each other that long and overcome everything bad life has to throw at you - and we have - i don't see it as a thing we need to do. Marriage is a thing for those who feel some need for a blessing from a deity or some kind of approval from family and friends. Some see marriage as a way of being above those who remain unmarried. frankly i don't care for snobbery of that nature. Like I say. The biggest triumph is being together long term and being a complete unit of togetherness. staying together is the key and you don't need a gold star or diploma or certificate for that. is not having a mariage certificate going to diminish the bond somehow? No it isn't.
I look forward to the next six years with my partner 'living in sin' we've faced the worst situations life can put up as obstacles so there's nothing standing in our way now. it's just a pleasant cruise from here on in. :happy:

sith_killer_99
09-06-2002, 08:06 PM
Marriage as an elite society?:eek:

Surely you jest.

But seriously, I am in the military and the Single Soldiers do get treated worse than the married soldiers. The military is the ULTIMATE supporter of the institutuion of marriage. If you're single you pretty much HAVE to reside in the barracks on post, and don't even get me started on the rules for living in the barracks. Married military usually have the option to live in post housing or get extra money to rent/buy a place off post.

plasticfetish
09-06-2002, 08:52 PM
I still don't feel that signing on the dotted line is neccesary, love is enough.

Hahaha ... it's only funny because frankly "love" is the only thing that really matters. Dotted line or not ... if there's no love ... there's no "true" marriage.

My wife and I have been married for 3 years ... we had a child 5 years ago ... we started dating/living together around 12 years ago. I'll admit, getting married was something we did largely for practical reasons ... and no doubt the family was happy (I suppose, we held the ceremony at an adult motel in Reno to make them suffer a little) ... but, mostly we did it to reaffirm our commitment to each other.

... and as far as the kid thing goes JARGO ... it's impossible to explain. You can be the most cynical, "punk rock" person in the world (not that I am ;)) and yet the instant there is a bond with that little "critter" ... you're a totally different person. I don't really know WHAT I believe about anything, but I do know that when my son was born ... I think I was the one that gained a "soul".

Jargo
09-06-2002, 09:09 PM
hmmmm, I worked as a kind of surrogate dad to a friend who found herself being a single mother after a relationship went bad just after she got pregnant. I lived in the house next door and she wanted to continue working to keep her revenue coming in, I wasn't working at the time so from 7 in the morning until 6 at night I had little baby girl all to myself. I had her from two weeks old and she was a premature baby by two months so that's like a really tiny fragile baby we're talkin' about. I looked after her and I nurtured her. I bought her clothes from a very expensive store so she had a good start and was warm enough. I took her out places and i talked to her so she could get some real attention and know what another human being sounded like instead of being ignored by her mother because she was too tired or bored or whatever.
basically the kid was essentially my adopted kid. I wasn't having a relationship with her mother but rather the releationship between me and my charge grew very close. I saw the kid take her first steps after seeing her take her first crawl. I hear her first words. I saw her grow from a tiny doll sized pink wriggly poo machine to a little fat baby girl with atitude. I saw her grow into a toddler.

And then her mother found a guy and didn't need my help anymore and I never saw the kid again. I know what kids mean, and I know that they can be taken away from you at the slightest thing.A divorce or a breakup, doesn't matter. I won't let myself get that attached again. It hurts too deep man.

I saw the kid recently and she's all grown up now, well, ten years old nearly. Quite the little lady. She recognised me and came over to say hello and talk but she looked at me like I was a stranger. And there was sadness in her eyes like she never normally got to speak to people and it was a strange and alien thing to have a real conversation and be listened to. That hurt even more. :zzz:

I do know what having a child around means. I just won't do it again.

plasticfetish
09-06-2002, 10:36 PM
Ohhh. That's sad ... rrrrr ... how frustrating.

I didn't want to come off all ... "let me tell ya' what you don't know about havin' kids there JARGO ... blah, blah, blah."

I don't even remember what you had said about it specifically in your earlier post. It's just that I often hear really "good" people (a lot of my friends) casually dismissing being a parent ... usually because they feel too insecure about their own abilities, or how it would fit into their lifestyle or whatever. In your case it's even a little more frustrating (? I dunno if that's the right word ?) because you proved that not only were you capable of making that bond, but you seemed to enjoy it after all and probably did a great job at it.

Well ... at least you can feel proud that you had a positive effect on her life during one of the most critically important phases of her childhood. I'll leave it at that.

LTBasker
09-07-2002, 01:11 AM
Yeesh, reading this thread is one of the ONLY things I can think of that makes me actually happy to be a minor. :happy:

Originally posted by plasticfetish

... and as far as the kid thing goes JARGO ... it's impossible to explain. You can be the most cynical, "punk rock" person in the world (not that I am ;)) and yet the instant there is a bond with that little "critter" ... you're a totally different person.

Kinda like how Han wasn't exactly too happy with the Ewoks and then kinda took to them with Wicket wrapped around his leg? :D

Jedi Master Silas
09-07-2002, 06:24 PM
My husband and I got married on April 30. We planned this great event after we found out the release date of AOTC. We took the entire month of May off and the last week of April went to Indy to C2 and had a Star Wars celebration wedding. Now try to explain this to non Star Wars lovers LOL.

billfremore
09-08-2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by The Ghost of Jonna

I can't believe that you finally posted a pic of yourself on the forum! Now we are all going to hunt you down.:evil:

Yeah I'm up here in Canada.
Good luck finding me :p

Originally posted by Emperor Jargo

And to look at bill you wouldn't think he was the kind of guy who could invent such an evil concept as the NERF™ crotch bat. wonders will never cease to amaze......

Yeah but my maniacal laugh counters my otherwise boyish good looks. :D