PDA

View Full Version : Band of Brothers, OZ, The Sopranos

Lobito
03-27-2002, 10:54 AM
What do u think of these series?? They are on HBO.

2-1B
03-27-2002, 12:04 PM
I love The Sopranos, Band of Brothers was very good, and I don't really watch OZ. :)

THE Slayer
03-27-2002, 02:55 PM
You forgot Six feet under, which IMO is the best of HBO's original programming. But those other shows arn't bad either.

SithDroid
03-27-2002, 03:07 PM
All of them are great except for Sex in the City. That show is horrible and I swear for a "comedy" I have never laughed at all the few times I've seen it. You also forgot Six Feet Under which is an awesome show.

derek
03-27-2002, 04:57 PM
band of brothers is very well done. i get a kick though that the series featured some of "pop cultures" stars of the past, or at least actors who were in those shows. the series featured actors from beverly hills 90210, party of five and the new kids on the block. but donnie wahlberg did do a good job in his role.

2-1B
03-28-2002, 02:53 AM
Six Feet Under is awesome :)

derek, you're right about Donnie Wahlberg. When I first learned he was going to do films, I thought it would be a joke. But I've seen him in a few movies and I think he's alright :cool:

Beast
08-02-2002, 10:05 AM
Just wanted to bump this up, because I just read over at TheDigitalBits.com that "Band of Brothers" is coming to DVD on November 5th. :)

Our friend Garth Franklin over at Dark Horizons is reporting that HBO's Band of Brothers miniseries will finally arrive on DVD on 11/5. There's been no official word from the studio yet, but the disc will reportedly contain the 80 minute documentary We Stand Alone Together: The Men of Easy Company, an interactive field guide for enhanced viewing, a 30 minute Making of Band of Brothers featurette, actor Ron Livingston's video diaries and footage from the premiere on Normandy.

Stay tuned...

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthBrandon
08-02-2002, 11:01 AM
I loved the miniseries Band Of Brothers and I still continue to watch The Sopranos faithfully. Like THE Slayer and SithDroid mentioned, you left out the best new series Six Feet Under, that show rocks big time. As for OZ, I liked it at first, but it became a show that continues to basically use the same story over and over all the time. It just got boring in my opinion.

Here's my rating for these shows out of ten.

Oz: Six, just not crazy about it. :zzz:
Sex And The City: Six plus, wife likes it, so I have no choice, not bad. :eek:
Six Feet Under: Ten plus, one of the most creative shows of our era, just like the HBO advertisement, ground breaking.:cool:
Sopranos: Ten plus, what can I say AWESOME. :D
Band Of Brothers: Ten plus, one of the best war series I've ever seen. :D

rynobot
08-02-2002, 01:37 PM
OZ is my favorie show on TV.

Darth Shifty
08-02-2002, 01:51 PM
Band of Brothers was great, very faithful to Stephen Ambrose's books. No word on the price, JarJar? I also love the Sopranos and Oz is still pretty good.

I've never watched Six Feet Under, what's it about? Who's in it?

pthfnder89
08-02-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by SithDroid
All of them are great except for Sex in the City. That show is horrible and I swear for a "comedy" I have never laughed at all the few times I've seen it.

Well, not to put too fine a point on it; you're opinion counts as much as anyone elses, but you seem to be one of the very few people who don't like it. I don't think it's the best show in the world, but I've been watching it since the first ep and it's pretty damn funny to me:)

I loved Band of Brothers and I'm glad they've finally put a date on the DVD release. The only problem I had with it was that it was difficult to keep track of all the characters. There were so many soldiers it was hard to remember who was who from week to week. I've been looking forward to the DVD so I can watch them all again and get a clearer picture of who was doing what.:)

Oz is an amazing show, but I've only sat and watched a whole episode 3-4 times. It's just a little too gritty for me I guess.

Six Feet Under was absolutely AMAZING in it's first season, but the second season was a little lackluster I thought. I'm hoping it improves in the third.

2-1B
08-03-2002, 10:42 PM
Put me in the "I hate Sex and the City" category. :)

Let's not forget this month's DVD release of The Sopranos Season 3 ! ! ! :happy: I'm gonna have my own marathon starting in a few weeks: I'll blow through seasons 1 and 2 again and then buy Season 3, watching it up until September 15th when season 4 begins.

September 15th will be so awesome - Sopranos season 4 premiere followed by the season 3 premiere of Curb Your Enthusiasm ! ! ! :D

darthvyn
08-04-2002, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by pthfnder89
I loved Band of Brothers and I'm glad they've finally put a date on the DVD release. The only problem I had with it was that it was difficult to keep track of all the characters. There were so many soldiers it was hard to remember who was who from week to week. I've been looking forward to the DVD so I can watch them all again and get a clearer picture of who was doing what.:)

yeah, definitely hard to keep track of... i have a few favorite characters, and i don't even know their names! i've definitely been waiting for the dvd's for the same reasons - because it's awesome, and i need to know who the hell i'm watching!

Exhaust Port
08-04-2002, 07:32 PM
I wouldn't necessarily recommend the book "Band of Brothers." It's a great story poorly told. Steven Ambrose has gotten in trouble for plagerism recently and after reading this book and others I could see how he skirts the line quite often. In both this book and "Blue Sky" the original subjects objected to his first attempt of telling the story (false statements, wrong information, missing parts) so they made him redo it.

I caught only one episode of the series and loved it. I can't wait until its out on DVD!

Beast
08-07-2002, 02:12 PM
Here's the info and price info on the "Band of Brothers" DVD release. This info is from DVDTalk and Media Play. :)

We've got the complete details for the upcoming DVD release for Band of Brothers (the single best war series we've seen yet)! Set for release on November 5th Band of Brothers will be presented in 16x9 enhanced widescreen, Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 audio and feature: All 10 Episodes from the series plus the documentary 'We Stand Alone Together', a 30 minute 'The Making of Band of Brothers', a 55 minute Video Diary from Ron Livingston documenting his experience making Band of Brothers, HBO's premiere screening on the Beaches of Normandy, an episode specific field guide with a ton of background info, and more. Pre-Order Band of Brothers Now.

My friend at Media Play, said that the pre-order price is $89.95, and the MSRP is $120.00. Not to bad for such a big set. :eek: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exhaust Port
08-07-2002, 08:58 PM
I'm looking forward to it, thanks for the info Jar Jar.

2-1B
08-24-2002, 02:51 AM
Has anyone else been driven nuts by those teasers HBO keeps playing for The Sopranos? They're cool, but they just focused on past dialogue . . .

Not anymore, I just recently saw the new trailer with all sorts of good looking snippets ! ! ! :happy:
As if that doesn't have me pumped enough, I just had to buy the new TV Guide (Gandolfini and Falco covers, I chose Gandolfini - tough call) just to read the article inside.

I have been COMPLETELY spoiler free until I read that article, I was very successful so far in avoiding them but these 4 won't hurt. I'll post them in yellow as a fair warning, but I don't consider them to be of major spoilage. Minor . . . well, except for the last one . . .

A.J. will have a girlfriend in season 4 - that should allow for some great storylines. :D

Baccala will reportedly be slimmed down - that's good for the actor who plays him (Steven Schirripa) but bad for the character - I love him just the way he is ! :(

Carmela will be sportin' a new short haircut, because Edie Falco got one in real life. She said they tried a wig, but it didn't look right . . . so Carm gets a cut too. That's funny, because I always though she DID have a wig. Not that it looks bad, I just assumed it was fake. :)

And according to Joey Pants,
Ralphie is around in episode 11, but he's in a pecarious situation - and JP doesn't know if he'll get past 13.
Personally, I hate the character, and that's a good thing. So while I despise the person he's playing, I don't want JP to leave the show because he does such a fine job . . . but I didn't want Big ***** to leave either . . .

jjreason
08-25-2002, 03:07 PM
We're finally getting Band Of Brothers on Canadian TV up here this fall. I saw one epidode through the magic of pirate satellite last fall and was mesmorized. I may shell out for the DVD's but IM thinking of using the VCR to make sure I see the whole series first. Beautiful costumes, great acting.

Ive seen maybe 10 eps of the Sopranos - brilliant. It's been on up here for over a year but always a year behind. I need to focus on watching them in order so I can have a better idea of what's going on but it's hard with 2 small kids and the language. With my satellite I can watch it at 6pm, 9pm, and it's appropriate 11pm time slot so there's no excuse not to be keeping up. I hereby declare myself on a new mission!

2-1B
08-25-2002, 05:02 PM
Glad to hear of your mission JJ ! :)
Point taken about the language, but it's more than just the kids - I like to go and watch it with my dad, but my mom is completely disgusted by it. :D

Today at Sam Goody I spotted a book on the bargain pile called "The New York Times on The Sopranos" . . . looked like a collection of NYT articles on the show. Regular price was $9.99, but the discount sticker said $3.95. I figured it was worth a shot, so when I got to the register it rang up at 99 cents ! :happy:

Beast
08-25-2002, 10:10 PM
By the way, just saw the DVD artwork for the "Band of Brothers" DVD case. Looks like it's going to be a very cool metal tin case. I love metal tins, wouldn't mind seeing more DVD's packed in them. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
08-26-2002, 09:24 AM
I missed Band the first time around, but caught it's encore a few months back. I had read the book first and it was very faithful. I agree that all the characters get confusing if you don't have a program...

"Programs! get yer program! Can't tell a 'kraut from a commie wit'out a program!"

The missus watches Sex and the City. i think the funniest parts are when they are at the coffee shop talking. After that scene comes and goes I leave the room.

I don't watch Sopranos or OZ much, but Six Feet Under is one of my favorites. Unfortunately, it's always on when I'm at work, so I often watch the episodes sporadically and out of order.

I can't understand how people without HBO can enjoy television anymore.

ROLLO!

2-1B
10-13-2002, 10:55 AM
Band of Brothers author Stephen Ambrose died this morning at age 66. :cry:

derek
10-14-2002, 11:32 PM
is it just me, or are the sopranos really boring this season? the last three seasons were really well done, but all the characters and stories seem really flat this season. i almost wish tony would get killed or sent to prison and just get it over with.

they have over a year to write this season and this is the best stuff they can come up with?

2-1B
10-15-2002, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by derek
is it just me, or are the sopranos really boring this season? the last three seasons were really well done, but all the characters and stories seem really flat this season. i almost wish tony would get killed or sent to prison and just get it over with.

they have over a year to write this season and this is the best stuff they can come up with?

I disagree 100% ! ! ! Boring? No way, I think last week's show (the one where Ralph almost gets clipped and Tony sets up Johnny Sack's hit by Lou DiMaggio and the Atwell Avenue Boys) was one of the best episodes over.

Flat? Not to me, I think the whole FBI story with Adriana is very well done. Johnny Sack and the whole feud with Ralph over his joke about Ginny is very funny to me. I think Baccala is really shining this season, I loved that guy since season 2 but this is the first season where they really open up the character.

There's so much to love about these first 5 episodes of season 4, and I am anxious to finish off the year and get them on DVD next fall! :)

derek, forgive me if this is a false assumption, but you haven't been listening to too much of Michael Savage, have you? :D
I think he's nuts for the way he complained and complained about the first 2
shows . . . :D

derek
10-15-2002, 10:07 AM
hey caesar,

no i have not listened to savage in months.:)

i think if ralphie had been hit it would of lent a little more excitement to the season. the first few seasons seemed like anyone could be wacked, but now it seems they are playing it safe.

i wish the FBI had gotten in a little further. chris' girlfriend dosen't know anything, and i would of liked to see that FBI chick in a few more covert episodes. it would of been interesting if she had started "dating" one of tony's guys.

maybe it's just me, but i couldn't care less about tony's fat sister trying to score a new man. that and tony's money hungry wife really bore me.

i want paully out of prison. that guy is funny, and able to go off on anyone.

The Overlord Returns
10-15-2002, 10:13 AM
OZ is my personal fave of the bunch here.........

get together every friday (in Canada) after hours at my local pub to watch it with the bar employees.....

Six Feet Under comes in a close second...

SithDroid
10-15-2002, 11:56 PM
Oz is my favorite as well. Six Feet Under comes up next, then the Sopranos. What I really can't stand is that extremely cr@ppy show Curb Your Enthusiasm. That show is absolutely horrible. It's supposed to be a comedy show and yet NOTHING on it is funny, plus it got nominated for Best Comedy Series at the Emmys. I can think of a ton of other shows more deserving to be nominated than that piece of cr@p. That 70's Show is hilarious or at least Frasier should have been nominated, but why CYE. I don't understand how stuff like this gets nominated. Don't get me started on Sex and the City either.

Exhaust Port
10-16-2002, 09:31 AM
Oh man, Sex in the City SUCKS!

...and that's all I have to say about that. :)

2-1B
10-17-2002, 02:10 AM
derek,
I'll have to meet you half way re: Ralph. I would like him to get clipped because I hate the character, but overall I think Joey Pants is fantastic and really brings something to the show. :)
If they do ever kill him off, I will take pleasure in it (kinda like with Richie Aprile :D ) but until then I am really enjoying him being on the show.

I do agree with you re: Janice; I couldn't care about her love life either, BUT that is not new to the show. That's been going on since she showed up in season 2, starting with Richie and then the narcoleptic guy Aaron, Ralph at the end of last season into this season, and now her attempts at Bobby. I love that guy, and I hope she doesn't get her meathooks into him. :(

I wholeheartedly agree with you re: the FBI agent, Deborah/Danielle. Remember when she showed up at the Soprano house? Well, I made a prediction at the time (because of the way Tony looked at her) that he would somehow end up involved with her and she might lose her direction and fall in too deep. Of course my prediction was shot down in the next 2 weeks. :rolleyes:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Sithdroid, I have to tell you that Curb Your Enthusiasm is one of the only shows I watch regularly! :D (Sopranos and Six Feet Under being the others)
I'm a big fan of Seinfeld too, and I'll go ahead and say that in some ways I like CYE even better than Seinfeld. :)
I have every episode taped and have watched them several times . . . I'm excited for the probable DVD sets down the road! :happy:

Tycho
08-20-2006, 07:27 PM
This thread is really all over the place on subjects. I'm only familiar with Band of Brothers and I am currently re-watching the whole series as part of my effort to join the cause for World War II over 60 years late, and from my living room.

That being said, this series is awesome and probably one of the best war stories ever told. I started to identify the characters from the top down:

Capt. Sobel - who seems to be gone now, transferred after the first episode, though I recall him returning the last time I viewed the series (I mean beyond the first episode).

Lt. Winters - the alleged Quaker, he's an admirable soldier and popular with his men.

Lt. Nixon - he's an alcoholic, but seems to be a good officer, as well as Winters friend.

Sobel was a prick, but a very effective company commander in training for the mission - though a disaster in the field.

El Chuxter
08-20-2006, 09:05 PM
And with that post, I dub thee Tycho, Honorary Caesar of the Day! :D

JimJamBonds
08-20-2006, 09:10 PM
I LOVE BoB, I've watched it many times and I can't say enough good about it. :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
08-20-2006, 10:20 PM
I never get tired of Band of Brothers. If only all mini-series could be that good.

I used to watch Oz all the time. Great show. Made it kind of hard to watch many Law & Order (especially SVU) for a while. :D

Tycho
08-21-2006, 02:23 AM
Episode 3 of Band of Brothers was awesome as the tanks came into play. There was some serious combat there.

Bly or Blythe was weird (the guy who was so shell-shocked he acted blind). Winters handled that really well. You could see the men wanting to be loyal to Winters as he was definitely a hero larger than life.

Episode 4 of BoB had the German Tiger Tanks take their revenge. As also shown in "A Bridge Too Far," Operation: Market-Garden was a failure. It disgusted me how the Brits fought: the British tank commander drove right into the Tiger fire even after he'd been warned. He was following orders really strictly to not destroy private property (of the Dutch). Well he'd be alive if he did what the American soldiers told him to: - blow up the whole building the Tiger was hiding behind, and then he'll get the Germans. He didn't listen and did things by the book. Doing things that way got him killed. I can't recollect if the same happens to Sobel, but it wouldn't surprise me. It's guys like Winters and Nixon that know what they're doing.

Tycho
08-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Episode 6 of Band of Brothers is also one of my favorites. It's the one about the medic and what he went through. You had to be incredibly brave to handle that. It always scared me that when he left the perimeter in the field with a wounded they drove back to Bastogne, there was still firing going on out there and possibly more who would be wounded. I know there were more medics, but I don't think there could ever be enough.

It's interesting how a love with that French nurse was beginning to bloom. I think he sees her again, but fears she is dead during the time after episode 6 when Bastogne was bombed.

Anyone know what Winters was doing out there on the perimeter? I thought he was promoted above field duty. I know he likes it better there- where he can make a difference in the field however. So that's that.

Dang this series is great!

Tycho
08-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Lipton and Spears became great heroes after Bostogne, as well.

This series is something. I've become totally addicted to Band of Brothers.

NO ONE VIEWING THIS WILL GET THE LEAST BIT BORED!

It is that good!

Blue2th
08-21-2006, 09:38 PM
Band of Brothers is my favorite Miniseries. I just bought it on sale for 49.99. It has been on the History Channel just about every week. So I haven't even opened mine yet. Spears is my favorite character. He's mysterious and brave. The rumour about him machine gunning those German prisoners never was really answered. I never did see what happened to the Jamie Bamber character (Battlestar Galactica) from the 1st platoon. Did he get shot in the town right after Bastogne? You don't see him after that so I guess he did. I need to watch it on DVD so I can search for that.

JimJamBonds
08-21-2006, 10:14 PM
Band of Brothers is my favorite Miniseries. I just bought it on sale for 49.99. It has been on the History Channel just about every week. So I haven't even opened mine yet. Spears is my favorite character. He's mysterious and brave. The rumour about him machine gunning those German prisoners never was really answered.

From what I've read he really did it.

I never did see what happened to the Jamie Bamber character (Battlestar Galactica) from the 1st platoon. Did he get shot in the town right after Bastogne? You don't see him after that so I guess he did. I need to watch it on DVD so I can search for that.

I don't remember Lt. Foley or what happened to him, I'll have to rewatch that episode.

JimJamBonds
08-21-2006, 10:18 PM
It's interesting how a love with that French nurse was beginning to bloom. I think he sees her again, but fears she is dead during the time after episode 6 when Bastogne was bombed.

We don't see a body but we see her do rag or something like that in the rubble so I always took it that she died.

Anyone know what Winters was doing out there on the perimeter? I thought he was promoted above field duty. I know he likes it better there- where he can make a difference in the field however. So that's that.

Winters wasn't all that far back from the line in Bostogne (one hundred yards or so), also he liked to go to the line and check on the men and how they were set up.

Dang this series is great!

I totally agree! :thumbsup:

2-1B
08-21-2006, 10:31 PM
That French nurse was hot.

JimJamBonds
08-21-2006, 10:42 PM
That French nurse was hot.

I think she just spoke French, she was from the land that gave us Dr. Evil.

Tycho
08-21-2006, 11:40 PM
It's hard to imagine how horrific the concentration camps must have been for the soldiers who stumbled upon them. I'm curious to know if there will be any more about that in the interviews with the real 101st Airborne Veterans on the bonus disc (or if there is such interviews - I haven't looked at the bonus disc yet).

The sight of the German men, women, and children civilians being forced to bury the Jewish dead seemed both just and terrible at the same time. Gosh that must have been hard - as was when Nixon and some of the others opened the dormiciles where the Jews who were too weak to walk outside lay dying.

Those scenes make me so mad. I wanted to see them "kill some Krauts" after that. The impact of the episode is actually stronger because they don't.

But I felt the anger of that soldier who nearly shot the baker as they were raiding his store for food provisions.

Remember when the guy reading "the article" said that it related "why we fight the war" because the Nazi's are bad? Yeah. They were really evil. It's hard to find examples of evil existing sometimes. But Hitler and the Nazis serve as the best definition.

Rocketboy
08-21-2006, 11:42 PM
The Concentration Camp episode is easily the best of the series, IMO.
It's a really powerful and emotional episode, which is saying quite a bit with this series, since they were all pretty powerful and emotional.

Tycho
08-22-2006, 01:38 AM
Wow. Major Dick Winters is a real-life American hero still alive today (I'm assuming).

It choked me up to hear the real Mjr. Winters relate how his grandson asked if he was a hero in the war, and he said that his men that died were the real heroes.

That's powerful stuff. Even moreso - because it's real!

"We're paratroopers! We're supposed to be surrounded." - US Army Major Richard "Dick" Winters.

CaptainSolo1138
08-22-2006, 05:43 AM
Dick Winter is, in fact, still alive. If you look at the Band of Brothers Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_of_brothers) it lists all the men with birthdates/death dates. Plus, it's a really good episode guide and has some interesting facts. I loves me some Wiki. :)

As for characters, I really like Lt."Buck" Compton, Capt. Spiers, SSgt. Bill Guarnere and Lt. Lipton. Good guys. I found it interesting that Compton was the DA in the Sirhan Sirhan case after he killed Bobby Kennedy.

The best episode for me is "Breaking Point". The assault on Foy at the end is awesome. The best part for me is Lt. Spiers leaveing Sgt. Lipton's squad and running across German defenses to link up with another element of the assault. Lipton's narration makes that part for me:

"They didn't shoot, probably because they couldn't believe their eyes from what they saw. But the most amazing thing was, after he made contact with I company, he came back."

I love it.

"We're paratroopers! We're supposed to be surrounded." - US Army Major Richard "Dick" Winters. The only bad part about that line is that he says it to Jimmy Fallon. :D

Blue2th
08-22-2006, 07:27 AM
Those scenes make me so mad. I wanted to see them "kill some Krauts" after that. The impact of the episode is actually stronger because they don't.

But I felt the anger of that soldier who nearly shot the baker as they were raiding his store for food provisions.

Remember when the guy reading "the article" said that it related "why we fight the war" because the Nazi's are bad? Yeah. They were really evil. It's hard to find examples of evil existing sometimes. But Hitler and the Nazis serve as the best definition.
That was a good episode. The lady at the end trying to move bodies Nixon was looking at you know was the Camp Commandant's wife. Killing them right away would have been too easy on them..... We thought Hitler was bad, then we found out during the same period of time and before, Stalin had killed more of his own people than Hitler.

CaptainSolo1138
08-22-2006, 07:44 AM
Stalin had killed more of his own people than Hitler.
But he was on our side, so it was OK. :rolleyes:

JimJamBonds
08-22-2006, 09:04 AM
It choked me up to hear the real Mjr. Winters relate how his grandson asked if he was a hero in the war, and he said that his men that died were the real heroes.

That's powerful stuff. Even moreso - because it's real!

That quote always gets me as well, the line however didn't come from Maj Winters and his grandson, its a letter the Maj. got from Mike Ramney and that was the response Mike gave to his grandson.

Tycho
08-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Who did Stalin kill in the USSR? I mean Hitler focused on eliminating Jews mainly. What was Stalin's genocidal criteria? How did we find out about it? Did we know about it then and Rooseveldt and Churchill just put up with him because he needed Russia on our side in the war effort?

Communism is not evil but it threatens capitalist nations and their presidents and lawmakers who feel they are elected to first and foremost manage the business interests of their corporations for their nation. The USA: Government of the Corporations, by the Corporations. We're smarter than to think "we the people" count (though they ought to). So why do most communist nations have to be run by dictatorships who oppress their people?
Why is it better off that "the one-percent" succeed in business because they have "freedom" in a capitalist country, while zero-percent may succeed under a communist dictatorship? Isn't a socialist democracy the happy-compromise? When people extoll the virtues of being free in a capitalist society, isn't the rich the only ones who have enough money to be heard?

You or I are never likely to be rich-rich. We have the freedom to try, but the odds are stacked against us.

Is that freedom worth others too dysfunctional to purchase healthcare on their own, suffering? Is it better to be callous and watch them suffer or die?

Was Stallin's empathetic solution just to kill them? Wasn't he a thug and didn't really understand the philosophies of Karl Marx and Vladamir Lenin anyway? It seems by partnering with him even in World War II's circumstances, the victims of the USSR has left some blood on our hands.

Blue2th
08-22-2006, 05:26 PM
That's the thing Tycho, the concept or original idea is good, but isn't it always perverted? Stalin was a paranoid phsychopath. He killed his own people. Or the ones who opposed him. Even the ones in his paranoid mind might threaten his power. http://www.historyplace.com/worldhistory/genocide/stalin.htm

Tycho
08-23-2006, 01:51 AM
Yeah, dictators trying to rise to power use communism or socialism principles to sound good and gather all the people's support, then they don't deliver. They don't trust democracy - or that the masses know what's best for them (they usually don't) and the dictator spends all his time on internal security versus making the improvements they could've achieved if only they'd deliver.

I know this is fictional, but you wonder what Palpatine might've accomplished if he wasn't engaged in a constant civil war? Was Palpatine truly evil? Like Hitler? Palpatine had to kill the Jedi because they were going to actively resist a Sith Empire. He could've disolved the Senate right after Order 66, but instead waited 19 years (until ANH and the destruction of Alderaan). The EU makes the case that he discriminated against aliens and restricted their rights etc. There is a possibility that at least the Wookiees were thrown into forced labor camps (to build parts of the Death Star for example). But I've never come across much evidence that you could compare Palpatine to Hitler's evil. No, the latter didn't have Force-lightning, but he did have the Blitzkrieg - but his death squads and stormtroopers, though far more primative, were far more worse.

Blue2th
08-23-2006, 06:22 PM
"There's always a bigger Fish" as Qui-Gon said. You know why Hitler lost? He was an idiot. He never listened to his Generals, or when he gave into their ideas it was too late. You know why the Germans were lightning fast in their Blitzkrieg? The Nazis invented Crystal Meth, and issued it to their soldiers to keep fighting. Makes you wonder if after a time taking that stuff, they might have gotten a little Phsyco after a while and made some of them ruthless as we know they were. Hitler himself was on 12 injections a day of Crystal Meth during his last days. No wonder he went nuts! Yup, Crystal Meth is another piece of technology we inherited from the Germans as well as Space Rockets.........Getting back to Band of Brothers. Did you notice the pilliaging the GI's were doing there in the last few episodes? Even Winters did some, and one of the guys ended up with Hitler's picture book.

Tycho
08-23-2006, 09:25 PM
In his interview after the series, the real Major Winters defended the looting done by himself and his men - saying the whole of Germany were looters in every country they invaded and to all the Jews they stole from. He said they deserved it and he and his men earned it. He won't appologize for it and I think he has a sense of justice about it.

JimJamBonds
08-23-2006, 09:43 PM
Tycho, there are a couple of bio's about Major Winters that have come out in the last year they are both quite good. Each get :thumbsup: :thumbsup: up.

Tycho
08-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Tycho, there are a couple of bio's about Major Winters that have come out in the last year they are both quite good. Each get :thumbsup: :thumbsup: up.

Got the Amazon links? He's become quite a hero of mine.

JimJamBonds
08-23-2006, 10:00 PM
No I don't have links but the names are....... Beyond Band Of Brothers: The War Memoirs Of Major Dick Winters with Col. Cole C. Kingseed and Biggest Brother: The Life of Major Dick Winters, The Man Who Led The Band Of Brothers by Larry Alexander

Tycho
08-23-2006, 11:48 PM
Thank you. I'll check those out. Dick Winters was something, huh?

JimJamBonds
08-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Thank you. I'll check those out. Dick Winters was something, huh?

Yes he IS something.

2-1B
08-24-2006, 11:13 PM
I heard he is a realtor, too.

Tycho
08-25-2006, 12:19 AM
Dick Winters is still working?!

I don't think he needs the money. He must find retirement unchallenging after Normandy, Holland, Belgium, and taking the Eagle's Nest. One must do something to keep himself busy. I suppose e-Bay still blocks the sales of Nazi materials (I thought I heard it did anyway), else "Hitler's Chinaware: VHTF - Buy it Now!" would be on auction for quite a hefty amount - probably more than Winters would make selling a few houses.

Anakin Palpatine
08-25-2006, 01:08 AM
Band of Brothers was great and I think it was episode 9 that really made me appreciate the whole series. The whole Holocost episode really gave Schindler's List a run for it's money and was very moving. As horrific as it is to see, much like the end scene of United 93 or World Trade Center when they arrive at the towers, because it feels so real and that is truly how it's intended for us to see.

Otherwise I love the whole Pasta scene during boot camp!

Tycho
08-25-2006, 03:56 AM
Yeah, Spielberg outdid himself on Band of Brothers as their holocaust scene made Schindler's List look like a picnic. That's perhaps because Schindler himself kept the Jews in his camp in much better shape and condition than many of the other camps - as Schindler's was no "death camp." Sure many died, but compared to ANY of the others?

CaptainSolo1138
08-25-2006, 05:57 AM
I heard he is a realtor, too.
I heard him and his old buddy Lewis went into business after the war and opened a male bikini-area shaving business. It's called Dick/Nix.

Tycho
08-25-2006, 10:51 AM
Very funny. :rolleyes:

2-1B
08-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Very funny. :rolleyes:

I agree, I thought is was hilarious! :grin:

Good one, Snaps1138 ! ! !

JimJamBonds
08-25-2006, 11:32 AM
Dick Winters is still working?!

No but he is still alive was my point.

2-1B
08-25-2006, 11:34 AM
JimJam, he bit on my realtor joke. Hence the question. :D

JimJamBonds
08-25-2006, 11:38 AM
Ahhhhh yeah I knew that. lol

CaptainSolo1138
08-25-2006, 01:11 PM
I agree, I thought is was hilarious! :grin:
I'm glad someone appreciated it. :)

Blue2th
08-25-2006, 07:35 PM
Hey, I just saw Major Winters last night in that Steven King movie Dreamcatcher. He does a nice British accent, jolly good old boy. :D

Tycho
08-25-2006, 07:36 PM
You know, I was just thinking that a young Mark Hamill might've done well in this role. That thought is also encouraging me to pick up The Big Red One.

JimJamBonds
06-15-2013, 08:04 PM
I watched BoB a month or so ago and imho its still THE best work HBO has done. Cast, script, production, acting all top notch! I've watched it I'll guess 6-7 times (not counting catching bits and pieces on tv) and its still great.

Tycho
06-17-2013, 02:19 AM
Dick Winters is a true hero for all time!