PDA

View Full Version : Had Vader Lived...do you think that he would have been welcomed by the Rebellion?

Darkross
03-27-2002, 12:18 PM
No way! I think that his war crimes would have been too great for even the rebellion to ever forgive him or trust him.

stillakid
03-27-2002, 12:44 PM
Now this is a good question! I had wondered that myself at some point in the past. What would the relationship look like between Vader and his kids, Vader and others in the galaxy?

I'm not sure that others would find "forgiveness" for him the way his son did. Think of Hitler or Milosovich or Stalin or Bush( ;) ). What if those guys "repented?" They would probably still find themselves in court and incarcerated or worse for their crimes, but as "new-born" they would most likely understand the necessity for punishment and accept it with grace. Vader would most likely find himself in the same scenario.

I don't see him walking freely amongst the Rebel officials being accepted as one of them. Hypothetically, if he did, they'd have to forge him a new mask, something less threatening. Maybe something in a mauve or taupe. :rolleyes:

SithDroid
03-27-2002, 03:58 PM
I don't think so. Too many people lost friends and family because of him.

odb
03-27-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
Hypothetically, if he did, they'd have to forge him a new mask, something less threatening. Maybe something in a mauve or taupe. :

I was thinking maybe puce, with a nice pair of spandex tights to complement them .

Anyway I think Vader's place would be to be to assist training new jedi. That way he could pass on his knowledge of the dark side and all its dangers to potential jedi. Plus he could be held and serve out any sentence while passing on his knowledge as part of his sentence.

Darth Ovori
03-27-2002, 07:31 PM
Wookie Dinner!

Rollo Tomassi
03-27-2002, 09:43 PM
I don't see how you can joke about this. The man slaughtered and massacred untold billions upon billions of sentient beings. A new mask won't fix anything.:mad:

I'd give him a ":) " mask...

But seriously. War crimes and all that , and factoring in the fact that he personally did in the Emperor, would earn him a quiet military tribunal, a commuted death sentence, and "house arrest" on some barren, outer rim world where no one would look for him. Tatooine.

stillakid
03-27-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
But seriously. War crimes and all that , and factoring in the fact that he personally did in the Emperor, would earn him a quiet military tribunal, a commuted death sentence, and "house arrest" on some barren, outer rim world where no one would look for him. Tatooine.

What comes around, goes around. That would be precious closure.

DarthSeattle
03-28-2002, 12:40 PM
I, too, have wondered about this. Since Darth Vader is my favorite character, I, pesonally would not have like to see him join the Rebels in any, way, shape or form because I would not like to see him stripped of his power and have to go into some sort of house arrest--or worse.

On the contrary, I would have loved to see him live, but with the Empire having been victorious and Luke having ultimately succumbed to the Dark Side, with or without the Emperor. I would have enjoyed the three of them in power. I know that there's another thread discussing that that wouldn't be possible with the only-two-Sith-at-a-time rule, but when it comes down to it, I guess I would have preferred the Emperor and Lord Vader carrying on as usual with Luke reduced to a pile of ash.

Starfig873
03-28-2002, 12:43 PM
This is a good question....

It's more than likely true that he wouldn't be too welcome among many of the rebellion.
But I'd think Luke would realize this, and had Vader survived, they would have somehow repaired his resporator (the suit or something) and hide him. Annie could be a hermit like Ol' Ben :D
Then tell everyone that he had in fact perished.

So kinda what Rollo said...cept I don't know if Luke would allow him to be tried.

browndroid
03-28-2002, 01:09 PM
ah whinny luke always gets what he wants, but if it were to actually happen, i believe he would be senteced to death...bummer...

JEDIpartner
03-28-2002, 01:17 PM
Since Luke and Anakin "patched things up", I wonder if Luke would have accompanied his father in his exile- leaving Leia behind. I think that Luke would have been profoundly affected by this turn of events and he may have tried to fix the father/son bond even more.

good shot jansen
03-29-2002, 10:19 AM
he started out as a jedi, and turned in a big way to the dark side of the force. remember how leia recoiled in horror when luke told her that vader was his father.

lukes argument that there's good in him, only holds so much water, there's a lot o' bad in him too. (super bad if you ask moi)

if vader had survived, he would have had to answer for his high crimes and treason.

Pendo
03-29-2002, 10:28 AM
I think to be welcomed into the rebellion, he would have to prove that he is no longer bad. It'd take alot for him to prove it and he probably wouldn't even do it, but unless he does do it the rebels would probably just let him rot in a prison cell and forget about him.

PENDO!

dirtybones
03-29-2002, 10:45 AM
Vader would have never gone over to the "good" side. Right from the start he held bad feelings toward the Jedi Council. Remember when Mace said "No he will not be trained" the look that Anakin gave him was the look of the true Vader with in the young boy.:evil:

icatch9
03-29-2002, 01:25 PM
I always thought if vader turned good he'd wear an all white outfit. Sure he'd kind of look like a stormtrooper, but white is the opposite of black.

I think if he would have survived it would have been a secret. The average joe would have thought he was dead. That includes most rebels. See even though the Emperor is Dead, and the Death Star Blew up again the Empire is still out there. It has few leaders and a broken leg, but it's still there. I think Vader would have help hunt down the Empire the same way he did the Jedi. I don't know yet, but chances are he helped hunt down the Jedi in a secretive mannor. Thus, he would have done the same thing to the Empire. He would give code, locations, streangths, and weaknesses, all wich would help destroy the Empire for good. No one would know it was him except Luke, Leia, Han, Mon Mothma, and Akbar (maybe). This would make everyone happy.

El Chuxter
03-29-2002, 03:00 PM
He'd have to stand trial as a war criminal. Period. And I think, being redeemed from the Dark Side, he'd feel this was appropriate as well.

RooJay
04-12-2002, 12:42 AM
This would make one DAMN good story! Hopefully Dark Horse will pick up on this for it's "Infinities" series and some writer will do it justice!

Rogue II
04-12-2002, 01:27 PM
I agree with icatch9. The general population would have never known he was still alive. I'm sure Luke would have made sure of that. They would have fitted him with some new outfit, and gone into hiding like Ben Kenobi and Yoda, probably on Tatooine as Rollo mentioned.

Sith Lord 0498
04-12-2002, 02:32 PM
I think Luke would've kept Vader's survival a secret and spirited him away back home to Tatoonie with a rebuilt Lars homestead. Only Han, Leia, C-3PO, and R2-D2 would know of this. Leia would have the chance to meet her father--Anakin Skywalker NOT Darth Vader (because Anakin betrayed and murdered Vader when he killed Emperor Palpatine). Luke would most likely remain for awhile, but eventually he'd return to aid the New Republic.

As for my favorite (former) Sith Lord, he would attempt a recovery on Tatoonie. Remember in "Shadows of the Empire" when Vader would try to heal himself with Dark Side powers only to fail b/c he experienced happiness over it??? I think he'd finally try the same approach using the healing abilities of the Light Side of the Force (and maybe some bacta too). With any luck, he'd finally heal his wounds, abandon the need for life support, and take his place at Luke's side to rebuild the Jedi Order. At least then, people might not see him as Darth Vader but as Anakin Skywalker.

On another note...in response to those who mentioned trial and imprisonment...what kind of a prison cell do you think can hold Darth Vader???!!! If he wanted out, he'd get out. You'd only be able to rely on his own desire for penance and to obey the imprisonment sentence.

Rogue II
04-12-2002, 04:13 PM
I am sure that they would twist the truth about Vader and Anakin. They would say that Anakin was captured and held prisoner by the Empire.

I don't think finding a prison that could hold Vader would be a problem. There seem to be several species of creatures (for example Jabba and Watto) that are immune to the Force. OR they could inprision him on an asteroid or something very remote like that.

RooJay
04-12-2002, 05:05 PM
He certainly would've been able to fill in a lot of holes for Luke regarding training and the Jedi order. I wonder how something like that might've changed the dynamic of Luke's Jedi academy and the New Jedi Order? He'd also have obviously been very wary of the dark side, which I'm sure would've been a great help to Luke in the beginning.

Creger5150
04-15-2002, 07:42 AM
I think they would have made him Mon Motha's "right hand man". Remember, this is the same alliance that made Lando a general. And all they really knew about him was that he betrayed his best friend. So why punish Vader?

jrviking07
04-19-2002, 03:32 PM
I don't think Vader would have gone to the alliance and he would still be on the darkside of the force because I think the only reason he was good at the end was because he was dying.

Taichi
04-29-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Sith Lord 0498
As for my favorite (former) Sith Lord, he would attempt a recovery on Tatoonie. Remember in "Shadows of the Empire" when Vader would try to heal himself with Dark Side powers only to fail b/c he experienced happiness over it??? I think he'd finally try the same approach using the healing abilities of the Light Side of the Force (and maybe some bacta too). With any luck, he'd finally heal his wounds, abandon the need for life support, and take his place at Luke's side to rebuild the Jedi Order. At least then, people might not see him as Darth Vader but as Anakin Skywalker.

Took the words right outta my mouth.....

I think this is how Vader would've recovered......he would've grown back his severed limbs, and eventually dumped the need for life support altogether.....

after that, he would've doffed the Jedi Robes (Much like Ben Kenobi's), and become the last Old Republic Jedi......ready to teach the new order......

Freedom
04-29-2002, 11:05 PM
I don't think he would grow back limbs. I think Luke would have taken him back to Obi-Wan's home on Tatoine to recover. Then, when Luke started the jedi Academy, he'd keep dear ol' dad in a tower, and all the Jedi kids would think there's a monster up their. Until one day a mischevious young Jedi get's up the nerve to go look and discovers Vader and blabs the whole thing, then Vader is tried and Luke is to for aiding and abetting a war criminal.

Taichi
04-30-2002, 01:11 PM
Or Maybe he discovers the dessicated, forgotten, starved corpse of Vader.....and blabs.....and Luke finds out.....and remembers about the string he tied around his non-functioning robot finger......."Don't forget to feed dad"...........