View Full Version : Mos Eisley "Top 10"
08-29-2001, 12:18 PM
As I am constantly reflecting on Star Wars and Star Wars figures, I thought it would be fun to start a series of threads with locations specific "Top 10s". For openers I have selected the Mos Eisley Cantina as it got so little coverage in the vintage line and the current line has only recently caught up to releasing a contemporary counterpart to the four vintage characters. To start things off, JediCole's Cantina Top 10:
10. Ponda Boba (resculpt) - We need a less rigid Ponda with a sculpt somewere between the original and the CS release. The additon of a removable lower arm would be an ideal touch.
9. Kitik Keed'kak - You can't go wrong with a giant praying mantis in a dress! Be sure to use a cloth gown with elastic waist and have some fun with the legs, something other than just an accurate praying mantis look.
8. Momaw Nadon (resculpt) - Ironic that so many of the "vintage four" need resculpts. A sculpt more accurate to the on-screen look and costume is needed, with a more muted, sandy brown color like in the movie. The existing Momaw Nadon is still a great Ithorian figure.
7. M'iiyoom Onith - I don't really know why, but I love the look of this more bizarre Cantina denizen. She would add a unique flavor to an Cantina or general group scene.
6. Myo - The sole cyclops of the Star Wars Universe. I love me some Cantina guys!
5. Dr. Evezan (resculpt) - I've voiced my opinion repeatedly on the good doctor. The CS version did not come close. The new separate piece vinyl vests that are in use now would be a nice touch as would a removable lower arm (though not seen on film, Evezan almost cerainly got the same laser surgery as Ponda Boba. Most importantly, get the face right this time!
4. Feltipern Trevagg - One of my all time favorites! We need this bearded, twin-horned smuggler, another of the Cantina standouts. Be sure to use his movie costume and not the Holiday Special one!
3. Tonnika Sisters - The only way to do them justice is as part of the Deluxe line, as a two-pack. Otherwise we will get one and have to wait years for the other. Hopefully Hasbro will heed this message. We need Brea and Senni!
2. Dice Ibegon - One of my true favorites and the most unique character in the entire Cantina. I've seen custom figures of Dice that favor a serpentine form, but since we don't see her body anyway, I would prefer something unusual, like a quadropedal form.
1. Hem Dazon (Arcona) - When I was a lad and they ultimately only put out four Cantina creatures, I was campaigning for Kenner to come out with Hem Dazon (though there were no proper names back then) under the name "Anvil Head". Glittery eyes and a violet-black head would make this a great figure!
08-29-2001, 01:00 PM
Interesting way to break down the top tens--I like, I like. Here's my contributions:
First, two honorable mentions:
Wioslea--The landspeeder dealer. She doesn't appear in the Cantina, but very close by.
Chalmun--The Wookiee owner of the Cantina. Definitely an EU creation, but the idea of another Wookiee (and a clothed one, at that) appeals to me.
10. M'iiyoom Onith--This is "Nightlilly," right? Although not the best design, it's one that would make an incredible figure given the quality of the latest POTJ offerings. Besides, it'd complement #4 quite nicely.
9. Kit'kik "Howyaspellit" Keed'kak/Dice Ibegon deluxe two-pack--The mantis is a definite. Though they don't appear together, I stuck Dice in a two-pack with her because everything I've heard about Dice suggests a serpentine body and it would be sort of a rip-off to market her by herself. Besides, Kit'kik would have to be a deluxe figure to be done properly.
8. Brea & Senni Tonnika two-pack--Again, this has to be a two-pack. Otherwise, we'll get one and never the other. Slight differences in posing would be nice.
7. Djas Puhr--A simple, even borderline stupid, design, but something about Mr Puhr appeals to me. Maybe it's the look on his face: noble, yet sinister. Besides, done properly, this figure would rock.
6. Bom Vindin--Another not-too-great design that I like. Again, this could be an excellent figure.
5. Het N'kik/Reegesk two-pack--Two small chums that couldn't be sold separately. Reegesk would be a nice figure (yet again, simple but catchy), and who can argue with another Jawa figure? It'd be especially cool if Het N'kik had an Imperial blaster and Tusken totem.
4. Feltipern Tervagg--One of the cooler aliens. This fellow just has to be made at some point.
3. Hem Dazon--"Anvil Head" is the first alien we see, and as such deserves to be immortalized in plastic.
2. Dannik Jerriko--My second favorite figure. Since he's a smoker, he'd almost have to be a Fan Club exclusive like Wuher was. I don't care--I just want him!
1. Dr Evazan resculpt--I don't know that a Ponda Baba resculpt is a necessity (yet), since we already have two of them. The good Doctor, though, doesn't look like Jack Nicholson with a broken nose! I'm not sure about the removable arm (I never thought that happened to him), but a cool accessory would be a mask he often wears in public (seen in the Mos Eisley Cantina pop-up book).
08-29-2001, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the first reply to this new thread. I'm glad you like the approach. I agree with both of your Honerable Mention. I too want Wioslea, but could not put her in the grouping. Chalmun had never crossed my mind before, but I quite agree!
Miiyoom is "Nightlilly", yes. The only ones on your list I could not place were Het'Nikik who I take to be a Jawa (always welcome), and Reegesk (a Ranat?). Though if we are to have a Cantina two-pack, perhaps Rycar Ryjerd would be a better choice of a small character. Bom Vindin had made the first draft of my list before I realized that I had forgotten the Tonnika sisters. I love Djas Puhr and agree about the air of the character, also that jet black, bald pate is a visual plus. Finally, I would doubt that Dannik Jerriko (another great choice) would lose out due to his bad habit. Remember, Jabba the Hutt is a smoker too!
08-29-2001, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by JediCole
The only ones on your list I could not place were Het'Nikik who I take to be a Jawa (always welcome), and Reegesk (a Ranat?). Though if we are to have a Cantina two-pack, perhaps Rycar Ryjerd would be a better choice of a small character.
Right on both Het N'kik and Reegesk. One reason I had them packed together (besides them sitting at the same table) is their stories from Tales of the Mos Eisley Cantina are intertwined nicely. Het N'kik's brother (Jek N'kik) is one of the Jawas slain by the Stormtroopers. He comes across the ruins of the sandcrawler while Luke is returning to his homestead. He talks with Obi-Wan, who advises him that Jawas are only powerless because they choose to be. After trading for an Imperial blaster, he goes to Mos Eisley, hoping to start a Jawa rebellion. When the Sandtroopers leave the Cantina, he leaps out, screams his best approximation of a Tusken war cry, and is killed. Apparently Reegesk neglected to tell him that he found the blaster's power cells to be an adequate trade for a Tusken war totem he'd given him. :)
I'm not sure I can place Rycar Ryjerd, though. Is he the Bimm?
08-29-2001, 03:30 PM
My honourable mention goes to Elis Helrot the Givin with the triangular skull like face. Cool looking but not cool enough to make it to the list:
10. kitik Keed'kak
9. leesub Sirin
8. Tonnika sisters
7. the mouse hare (name?)
6. Miiyoom Onith
5. feltipern Trevag
4. Dannik Jerriko
3. Danz borin
2. Bom Vimdim
1. Dr. Evazan :)
08-29-2001, 04:13 PM
Rycar Ryjerd is the mustaced little person (dwarf) with grey hair that appears in the Cantina. Not an alien, just a small human.
I cannot seem to find Hare Mouse's real name, though the mask was reused in Empire for a differently named, elegantly dressed Hare Mouse.
08-29-2001, 04:34 PM
Anyone have a pic of this Hare Mouse?
08-29-2001, 05:11 PM
I don't know if I can do a top 10 but here's my top 5:
5. Dr. Evazan (re-sculpt)
4. Tonika Sisters
3. Ponda Baba with removable arm
2. Dannik Jerriko
1. Fried Greedo
08-31-2001, 08:27 PM
if i understand correctly, this is the hare mouse. he was called that by the production crew but the EU has given him the name of Solomahal. I believe he's a trader of some description.
Brave Sir Robin
09-09-2001, 12:43 PM
I always thought that the current Evezan looked like Charleton Heston's lovechild with a persian cat. We need a new one of him, as well as those hot Tonnika Sisters, Bannis Keeg, Praying Mantis Lady, and the woman that Han kisses in that cut scene. Also, a Dice Ebelgon would be cool- they've made Lak Sivrak and Ketwol, so why not her?
09-10-2001, 05:30 PM
I never really thought of the praying mantis lady as all that hot but if you say so...
Oh, you were saying hot in reference to just the Tonnika Sisters.
09-19-2001, 01:07 PM
-The missing member of the modal nodes (musician)
-That guy that buys Luke's landspeeder
-The other duro (the one Ellors Madak is talking with)
-The big insect like alien
-Bo shek (but that one is already on the way)
09-20-2001, 08:40 AM
Hmmmm...I'll skip the riff on my TOP TEN thread and jump right in...
Ponda Baba w/ severed arm
Hem Dazon!!!! I want Hem Dazon more than the other 9 COMBINED!!!!!!!! Hem first, the others...whenever...
10-10-2001, 09:25 PM
Except Dr. Evason didn't have his arm sliced off. His wound was a superficial carterized slash to his belly/chest.
12-06-2001, 08:09 PM
I still want Hem Dazon!!
12-06-2001, 09:16 PM
Not being a big fan of the little teeny tiny things, wasn't there a hem dazon in one of the battle packs of the action fleet line? I think I have him and he has on a nice blue outfit? If that's him then I have changed my mind about which ones I want.
10. Elis helrot
9. kitik Keed'kak
8. leesub Sirin
7. Brea tonnika
5. Rycar Ryjerd/ Hrchek Kal'Fas 2-pack
4. feltipern Trevag
3. Dannik Jerriko
2. Hem Dazon
1. Bom Vimdim
0. Drunk Jawa 2-pack
07-04-2002, 03:06 AM
Bah. They've given us Djas Puhr and BoShek, and a resculpt of Momaw Nadon and yet another Greedo and a Ponda Baba with a severed arm, but still no Hem Dazon! Here's my list of Top Ten Cantina dudes (and dudettes):
10. Swilla Coreym, the world's most obscure action figure
9. Feltipern Trevagg, the Gotal
8. MiYoom Onith, the "nightlilly"
7. Dannik Jeriko, the Anzati
6. Dice Ibegon, the Florn Lamproid
5. Danz Borin, the Corulag spacer
4. Bom Vimdim, the Advosze
3. K'Tik Keed Kak, the...er..bug...
2. Elis Helrot, the Givin
1. HEM DAZON, the Arconan :mad:
Maybe you could pack Hem Dazon in with a Sith Infiltrator and kill two birds with the same bush. (Mixed metaphor alert.)
07-10-2002, 10:55 AM
i just want new cantina patrons not yet made. has to have good sculptes and paint jobs. some articulation is good too.
07-16-2002, 09:43 AM
Who decides what the names and races of these characters should be? I find it fascinating that you can mention a name /species on your list and presumably everyone knows what you are refering to. I am out of the loop.
07-16-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
0. Drunk Jawa 2-pack
DEFINITELY!!! it should be one of the cantina packs! they could come with the outside wall that they're slumped over against!
what about that little bat guy, with the arms outstreched in "give to daddy" articulation?
(yeah, DS, i don' t know the names either. i have a feeling the guy i just mentioned is one of the guys they want.)
07-16-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
Anyone have a pic of this Hare Mouse?
Oh good gravy...don't let Tycho find out, he'll have a new mouse to sniff, and shove up his nose while he wears his Pod Race T...
I vote for the Givin and the sisters.
07-17-2002, 08:39 PM
I also really want HEM DAZON!!!!!!
Far more than any of the other possibilities. Please. Please! PLEASE!!!
I, however, greedily snapped up both Boshek and Dejas Puhr --- two very well-done figures, and oh-so-great to get 'em out of the way as now they can only serve to pave the road to my beloved Hem.
Once "Sparkling Eyes Anvil Head" is done, I'd eagerly comb the aisles for the following figures . . . in order of importance (to me.)
2) Myo (Cool cyclops guy I always wanted as a kid.)
3) Dice Ebegon (She's so small she should probably be a pack in. Perhaps a bonus for Hem. :) )
4) Gotal (wierd horned alien, seen laughing at the bar. I totally thought he was cool as a kid and he's definitely a unique design. I also think he has a partner, bring 'em both on!)
5) Saurin (Boskk-ish creatures seen with a partner at the bar. Again, a two pack would be oh-so-groovy)
6) The other Duro (lame, I know, but I love Duros! And give him articulated wrists! Duro was the best Fan Choice Ever!)
7) Cantina Band Member (okay, I know, resculpt -- but it needs to be done! Just spruce him up a bit. His arms are a bit wonky or something.)
8) Tall Blue Snaggletooth. (C'mon! A nod to what I never had vintage wise!)
Hmmmmm, I'm all out of Aliens. The remaining ones all seem kind of, well, lame, and the Cantina is getting awful crowded. Uh-oh. Hmmmmm. Wait, okay, yeah. I got it . . .
9) Booths and Tables. (Maybe a three pack of these? Possible glowing candle light up feature!)
10) PLASTIC WALLS and DOOR WAY PLAYSET. These could be interactive with those awesome Walmart exclusives you've got coming! At long last, my fantasy cantina would be complete!!!!
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.