PDA

View Full Version : A.I. a great movie ?

warren
03-27-2002, 09:32 PM
I just watch A.I. yesterday and I wonder if the human race will ever be able to create such a perfect android with that kind of intelligence and have feelings too !!!

It is a story of the not-so-far future when the polar ice caps have melted and the resulting raise of the ocean waters has drowned all the coastal cities of the world. Withdrawn to the interior of the continents, the human race keeps
advancing, reaching to the point of creating realistic robots (called mechas) to serve him. One of the mecha-producing companies builds David, an artificial kid which is the first to have real feelings, especially a never-ending love for his "mother", Monica. Monica is the woman who adopted him as a substitute for her real son, who remains in cryo-stasis,stricken by an incurable disease. David is living happily with Monica and
her husband, but when their real son returns home after a cure is discovered, his life changes dramatically.:cry: A futuristic adaptation of the tale of Pinocchio, with David being the "fake" boy who desperately wants to become "real". :rolleyes:In his hope to become a real boy so that he can win back the affection of the human mother who abandoned him. :(
Like Pinocchio, he goes on a long journey hoping to find his "Blue Fairy," who can make his dreams come true. :happy:

Well .... anybody love Pinocchio .... if yes this is a movie exactly cloned from the cartoon I will say .... of course this is onmly my opinion !!!

A touching story I would say ....

PloKoon2385
03-27-2002, 11:31 PM
Well... I thought that was one of the stupidest movies ever! It WAS Pinocchio with a stupid robokid. The only reason we went to see it was because we were in Utah in 100+ degrees weather and the theater was air conditioned. We also saw Tomb Raider which was TONS better! Bad movie. Booo!

Brave Sir Robin
03-28-2002, 07:52 AM
Blasphemy.

Rollo Tomassi
03-28-2002, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Brave Sir Robin
Blasphemy.

I agree.

Tomb Raider definitely hit my "Bottom Five" last year. A.I. was closer to the top of my list. I really liked Haley Joel and Jude Law's performances (where were THEIR nominations?:( ) Ashley Scott was hot!:) I thought the movie dragged on a little too long, and the ending got downright goofy. But, it was interesting to see Speilberg decipher Kubrick and come up with something new. Jude Law's final words still haunt me: "I am. I was." Okay, haunt is a strong word. But I still remember them and his performance.

A quick ponderance. They made a big issue of David bing the first mecha to display genuine emotion. but Gigilo Joe seemed to be doing that throughout the film. He was definitely self aware. He felt pride in a job well done. He showed arrogance. He was afraid when he thought he might be accused of murder. He had self preservation instincts by removing his ID thing in his chest and then fleeing. He expressed pity for David and gratitude when he saved him from the acid. And finally, as I stated, his final words were not something a "program" would come up with. Are not these emotions? I thought THAT was interesting...

And did anyone ever figure out who killed Evan Chan? I thought there would be something on the DVD about that whole internet thing. Jeanine Salla, Sentient Machine Therapist. That was cool, but I gave up after awhile. Did anyone else plug away to the end? Does anyone even know what I'm talking about?

JEDIpartner
03-28-2002, 10:30 AM
I thought "A.I." was a much better film than "Tomb Raider(s of the Lost Tampon Aisle)". I'm not very keen on Video Games being transformed into films.

I think "A.I." was a bit like "E.T." twice removed. I did "feel" for the child as he was being left in the woods by his "mother". I think it also had equal parts "Wizard of Oz" (which I hate because of ol' Judy's annoying voice) as it did "Pinocchio". I think it was a nice film of self realisation and personal adventure. You could definitely see the Kubrick and Spielberg in the film. It was quite evident in how scenes were approached. It was more of a cerebral pic like "2001: A Space Odyssey" (my all time favourite film)... so I can see how many people didn't latch onto this film. It really was SCIENCE-fiction.

Fulit
03-28-2002, 10:33 AM
A.I. was a decent movie, but you could tell the instant Spielberg took over. He kind of ruined it, IMO.

Rollo Tomassi
03-29-2002, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Fulit
A.I. was a decent movie, but you could tell the instant Spielberg took over. He kind of ruined it, IMO.

"Took over"? Which instant was that exactly? Explain. It's not like Kubrick had shot half the movie and then died. It was all Speilberg. He just took Stanley's ideas for the film and wrote a screenplay and then directed it.

Beast
03-29-2002, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
"Took over"? Which instant was that exactly? Explain. It's not like Kubrick had shot half the movie and then died. It was all Speilberg. He just took Stanley's ideas for the film and wrote a screenplay and then directed it.
Warning: A.I. Spoiler Enclosed. If you haven't seen it, don't read it.

I think he's refering to the fact that the whole last 20 minutes of the movie seem to not follow the darker aspects of the rest. Everything after the last shot of David looking at the Blue Fairy from the inside of the cockpit, people have complained seems to not be in the same style as Kubrick. Actually that was always planned from the beginning, and was one of the reasons, if you watch the features on the DVD, that Kubrick wanted Spielburg to do the movie in the first place.

It really wasn't his kind of movie, was what he told Spielburg. Plus, I have noticed that not alot of people actually got the ending. The fact that the beings that revive David are advanced Mechas, and not aliens as some first thought. And alot of people blasted the sappy happy ending, but again they didn't get the intention of the ending. He made the final step into being what he wanted, a real boy. Even though he was a robot underneath, he surpassed his programming and became fully human. Having that last day with his "mommy" gave him closure. It doesn't come right out with it, but at the end he did what all humans do, he died. And poor teddy is all alone with the advanced mechas. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Fulit
03-29-2002, 09:21 AM
YEAH!

dirtybones
03-29-2002, 10:49 AM
I think that Teddy was the best actor in the whole movie. That just goes to show you how bad that movie really was. Big time yawn, and what was with the alien at the end with helping the kid? He looked like a walking water ballon with emotions. :crazed:

Rollo Tomassi
03-29-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by the Distinguished Gungan from Naboo
Having that last day with his "mommy" gave him closure. It doesn't come right out with it, but at the end he did what all humans do, he died. And poor teddy is all alone with the advanced mechas.

Coming Soon! A.I. II: Teddy's Armegeddon. Where the bear and his mecha minions create a clone army and...
:eek:

Originally by Fulit
YEAH!

Yeah! as in "yay! yippee! he died at the end!"? Or Yeah! as in "I agree. What the gungan said."?

Originally posted by dirtybones
I think that Teddy was the best actor in the whole movie. That just goes to show you how bad that movie really was. Big time yawn, and what was with the alien at the end with helping the kid? He looked like a walking water ballon with emotions.

Well, as Jar Jar pointed out, it wasn't an alien, it was a mecha. The Human race died out and left these machines to figure out why they were there in the first place. It's like when Jude Law says "They despise us. because they have destroyed themselves and soon we will be all that's left." No wonder you didn't like the movie. You weren't paying attention. There is a difference between not understanding a film, and not enjoying it.

dirtybones
03-29-2002, 11:20 AM
Your right I'm sorry. Even with the 62 inch big screen and ss that movie put me to sleep.:zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: A waste of DVD material, they could have used it to make the first trilogy.:evil:

dirtybones
03-29-2002, 11:24 AM
Besides it's not that I didn't understand the movie it just wasen't worth all the noise that it got.

SithDroid
03-29-2002, 11:26 AM
The movie was o.k., nothing special. The most intriguing character IMO was Teddy. The movie definately had promise, but the film drags in many places and is WAY too long. I could have gone for a 1/2 hour less of it. I thought that this movie was going to be amazing because of all the hush hush publicity that was put into it, but alas it didn't deliver.

A nice movie to rent, but definately not one to own.

Wolfwood319
03-29-2002, 12:09 PM
I saw it, although not my favorite film, its not my least favorite film either. Not Spielberg or Kubricks best outing but not their worst. I did kind of lose interest in it as the movie went on, but that was because of personal tastes and preferences more than bad filmaking.

PloKoon2385
03-29-2002, 03:44 PM
It was boring and stupid in my opinion. It was pointless and never-ending. I agree, Teddy was my favorite character! He was pretty cool, the others... BAH! Oh yeah, Einstein (Robin Williams) was kinda funny, but nothing special. The movie was a waste of time.

2-1B
03-24-2006, 02:40 AM
I felt it was a waste of time too, Plo, as evidenced by the fact that I fell asleep during it. That rarely happens when I watch a movie.

Kubrick is overrated. Meh.

JimJamBonds
03-24-2006, 12:29 PM
It was ok, rather long in the tooth from what I remember.

scruffziller
03-26-2006, 09:36 AM
I disagree. I was very intrigued by the film and it kept me watching the whole time. I was sleepy before I started, but was awake by the time it ended as it got me thinking.:thumbsup:

Slicker
03-26-2006, 09:57 AM
Still haven't seen it. Don't care to either.