PDA

View Full Version : LOTR's DVD's: What's Coming

Beast
03-28-2002, 05:58 AM
Yep, that's not a typo I do mean DVD's. In a massive gala party the other night in California, Warner Bros announced their plans for the DVD's for the biggest movie hit of 2001. There will be 2 different versions, and a total of 4 differnt ways for to buy it. Sadly one of those ways is an inferior panned and scanned version. Atleast Lucas knows better then to support that on his Star Wars DVDs. But I digress, here are the stats right from one of the sites that attented the party, Thedigitalbits.com . Sounds cool to me. Here is the info for the Theatrical Edition of the film:

As expected, there will be multiple versions of the film available on DVD. The first is a 2-disc Theatrical Edition on August 6th, which will arrive in dual full frame and 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen versions (SRP for each is $29.95). Disc One of this release will feature the film itself (in the aspect ratio of your choice, depending on the version you purchase), along with Dolby Digital 5.1 EX and Dolby Surround audio, English subtitles and closed captioning. Disc Two will feature over two hours of bonus content, including an exclusive, 10-minute preview of The Two Towers hosted by director Peter Jackson, the Welcome to Middle-Earth Houghton Mifflin in-store special, The Quest for the Ring (the FOX Network special) and A Passage to Middle-Earth (the Sci-Fi Channel special), some 15 additional featurettes created for lordoftherings.net, theatrical trailers and TV spots, Enya's May it Be music video, a preview of the Electronic Arts The Two Towers video game, a preview of the special extended DVD version, exclusive online content via DVD-ROM and more. The cover artwork for these two versions can be seen above. This release will be the PG-13 cut of the film that was seen in theaters.

And then, a Special Extended DVD only cut will show up on Novemeber 12th. Here is the specs and info for that set, and what the extra footage will include. Rumors are suggesting this version of the film will carry a 39.99 retail pricetag.

Then, on November 12th, New Line will release the Special Extended Edition of the film, as a 4-disc set (in anamorphic widescreen, with Dolby Digital 5.1 EX and Dolby Surround). The packaging for this set is still in the mock-up stage, but I can tell you that it looks like an ancient, leather-bound hardcover book. This will feature director Peter Jackson's much talked about extended cut, with some 30 minutes of scenes restored to the film (more on that in a minute). The film will be split over the first two discs of the set, with the second two containing more than SIX HOURS of in-depth behind-the-scenes material. Much of this content is still in production, so the final disc specs are still TBA. But you can look for feature-length director's audio commentary, art and photo galleries, documentaries and more (note that the SRP has not yet been set). Back to the longer cut of the film - WETA Digital is creating many new visual effects shots for the new footage and composer Howard Shore is currently recording new music cues for these scenes, which are being personally supervised by Jackson. Here's a rundown of the new scenes you can look for (and to you ring-bearers, please forgive me if I get a few of the names or details wrong):

A new addition to the opening sequence in which Bilbo provides background on Hobbits and their history in voice-over as he writes his memoirs.

A new introduction to Samwise Gamgee, seen in his capacity as a gardener.

A scene taking place at the Green Dragon Inn, which introduces us to the camaraderie of the Hobbits (we see them singing together) and sets up the geopolitics of the story.

The Hobbits witnessing the departure of the Elves from Middle Earth on the way to Bree.

Aragorn watching over the sleeping Hobbits, singing the ballad of Beren and Luthien to himself in the night.

Aragorn at his mother's grave, in which we learn that he was raised by Elves and that Sauron has long hunted him.

Two new moments during the departure from Rivendale, one in which we see Arwen's emotional reaction to Aragorn's leaving, and another in which Elrond sees the Fellowship off.

A scene with the Fellowship in the mines of Moria, in which we learn how the Dwarves themselves unleashed the fire-demon that eventually destroyed them.

A scene at Lothlorien, where Galadriel bestows upon each of the Fellowship a gift which will play an important role later in the Trilogy.

And finally, more footage of the battle at Amon Hen. This is not particularly bloody footage, but its addition will likely result in this cut of the film receiving an R-rating.

And then one DVD set to rule them all. A special 5 Disc set that will delve even further into the movie. It's similar to the deluxe collector's editon that was released for Pearl Harbor. I have the 5th disc from this set already, and it is great. Definatly a cool set. Here is the information about it. No price on this yet, but I hope it's not to outragous.

So that's the extended version. This same 4-disc DVD edition will also be available in a Collector's Gift Set, which will include the National Geographic: Beyond the Movie - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring DVD (containing 2 previously unreleased featurettes and a photo gallery), a set of exclusive Decipher game cards and a pair of bookends sculpted by WETA artists to look like the Argonath, all in packaging designed by production artist Alan Lee.

All of the information above was revealed during an elaborate multi-media presentation, followed by a number of speeches by New Line executives. On hand were several members of the cast and crew, including John Rhys-Davies (Gimli), Orlando Bloom (Legolas Greenleaf), Billy Boyd (Pippin), Dominic Monaghan (Merry), hair designer Peter Owen, costume designer Ngila Dickson and Oscar-winning visual effects/make-up supervisor Richard Taylor (with his new golden statue in hand - and yes, it IS heavier than you'd think). The event was bookended by an elaborate reception and buffet dinner. But the highlight of the evening was a special video greeting from director Peter Jackson (absent due to his tight post-production schedule on both the DVDs and the next film), who talked about his work on the discs and introduced a special treat - the public premiere of the preview for The Two Towers, which you can see in theaters attached to the end of Fellowship starting this Friday. And I can tell you, this alone was worth my hour-long drive up to the studio. The next film looks simply amazing.

I will definatly have to pick up a copy of the widescreen theatrical cut, and probably the Special Collector's Gift Set. Either way, Just like E2's release in May, August can't come soon enough for me.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
03-28-2002, 07:01 AM
i wish they would just wait and release one set, on one disc the theatre release and on the others the extended version. but that may drive the price up, and some folks may just want the theater release. but thanks for the heads up jar jar. i'll surely wait and buy the deluxe set in november.:)

Wolfwood319
03-28-2002, 08:50 AM
So we're getting a quasi-special edition first; with just behind the scenes stuff first. Then getting a 4-disc super special edition set with the extended cut of the movie and a lot of behind the scenes. Then an ultimate edition with the super special edition, the National Geographic DVD, and Bookends? Wow! If those bookends are something incredible, I might have to pick up all 3 sets.

I already have the National Geographic disc, it truly is amazing, just for the visuals alone.

JEDIpartner
03-28-2002, 09:16 AM
I think that the first version should only be a single disc. Save all the bonus crap from the fans and die hards. I honestly can't imagine sitting through anymore of this film that the 3 hours that currently exist. I enjoyed it, but not THAT much.

dr_evazan22
03-28-2002, 09:41 AM
That's a great post Jar Jar, thanks!

El Chuxter
03-28-2002, 02:15 PM
I just read on thedigitalbits.com that the bonus material from the first disc is not going to be re-released on the collector's set, nor will the theatrical cut of the film be on that set.

Requiring six discs to get the original and the "special edition" of the movie? C'mon, the movie wasn't that good. I doubt Hasbro could come up with a better scam. :Pirate:

Beast
03-28-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
I just read on thedigitalbits.com that the bonus material from the first disc is not going to be re-released on the collector's set, nor will the theatrical cut of the film be on that set.

Requiring six discs to get the original and the "special edition" of the movie? C'mon, the movie wasn't that good. I doubt Hasbro could come up with a better scam. :Pirate:

Yes indeed, they plan on doing different bonus materials for each set, and the Audio Commentary will only be on the Extended Edition set. So, I guess I will be getting the Widescreen Theatrical Cut and then the Extended Cut Collector's Box Set for to have everything. Guess I will have to sell my National Geographic DVD, since the one coming with the Box Set will have extras not on the regular release.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
03-28-2002, 03:20 PM
That's total crap for your buck. I would totally boycott this sort of thing if were interested enough to buy EITHER of these sets. I'm not... so I'll shut up now.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-28-2002, 03:30 PM
Wow, what a hose job! I guess P.J.'s a little ticked at not getting is Oscar so he's taking it out on the fans. :)

All I care about getting is a director's commentary and deleted scenes so the Extended one will be the only one I get.

Beast
03-28-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
Wow, what a hose job! I guess P.J.'s a little ticked at not getting is Oscar so he's taking it out on the fans. :) All I care about getting is a director's commentary and deleted scenes so the Extended one will be the only one I get.
Not really a hose job, actually he is giving the fans exactly what they wanted. If you read the DVD website forums, people wanted to have the theatrical and Extended Cut on seperate sets. Giving them both different special features, is also somthing they wanted. They either wanted a single disc theatrical cut, or the special features to be different between releases. Peter Jackson chose the second option, to try to make everyone happy. That way on the theatrical cut, you have your fluff piece making of shows, that were on TV. And then for the special extended cut, you get down and dirty with the in depth extra features that only the die had fans would really care about.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
03-28-2002, 04:07 PM
"Well... that smells stink-o-whiff!"

Mandalorian Candidat
03-28-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Not really a hose job, actually he is giving the fans exactly what they wanted. If you read the DVD website forums, people wanted to have the theatrical and Extended Cut on seperate sets. Giving them both different special features, is also somthing they wanted. They either wanted a single disc theatrical cut, or the special features to be different between releases. Peter Jackson chose the second option, to try to make everyone happy. That way on the theatrical cut, you have your fluff piece making of shows, that were on TV. And then for the special extended cut, you get down and dirty with the in depth extra features that only the die had fans would really care about.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I'm sure there are also several fans who would like the movie with widescreen, director's commentary, deleted scenes, and some bonus features. That's totally doable in one 2-disc set. Shoot, they even did it with X-Men (which Jackson also directed), where you could optionally insert the deleted scenes while watching the movie.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-29-2002, 10:05 AM
You know, I went home and checked my X-Men DVD and realized it was Brian Singer who directed it, not PJ. How I could get those two ever mixed up is beyond me.

El Chuxter
03-29-2002, 12:09 PM
I was hoping maybe Lucas would take a hint from Spielberg on CT DVDs--releasing both versions on one (or two) disc(s). But now I'm worried he might decide Peter Jackson's got the better approach. Could you imagine if SE's came out on two-disc sets, then later there were four disc sets for the original releases, complete with totally different bonus material? He's already released a two-disc "SE" of TPM. . . and he knows fans would be as willing to fork over additional bucks for the untampered-with versions as much as LOTR fans would be willing to get an expanded version. That would be a 36-disc set. :eek:

Wolfwood319
03-29-2002, 12:19 PM
I'd prefer it the way there doing it now. I want all the extras and both cuts of the film, but rather than having a huge 7 disc set, they broke it up. For the casual fan you have the theatrical cut and all the campy extras like "making of" and stuff you see on most DVDs now a days. Then for the fans you have the director's cut with the extras the fans would want more; Director commentary, the in depth making of, not HBO's or FOX's, etc.

I'll get both versions anyway it goes though. Any word on how big the bookends will be? WETA did some amazing pieces for the movie and I hope the book ends are just as good.

I think PJ is doing this for the fans. I don't mind forking over the money for the regular version and then the collector's edition boxed set, because its worth it to me and many other fans as well. He listened to what the fans wanted and then gave it to them. If you think its a screw job, don't buy them.

Beast
03-29-2002, 12:36 PM
Darn right Wolfwood, he's doing what the majority of the fans asked for. I also will be buying both, can't wait til August for the Theatrical Cut, since I only saw it once in the theater. I do need to go this weekend, so I can see the 3 1/2 minute Two Towers trailer that they added to the end of the film. But, I can't sit in a theater for 3 hours, I would rather enjoy it in the comfort of my home where I can pause it when nature calls. :D

Not sure about the size of the bookends, but I hope that they look cool. This movie atleast deserves the 4 disc special extended edition. I can't believe that they are making Pearl Harbor into a 4 disc set this summer. :rolleyes: Oh well, I know that I can't wait for these 2 sets, man this is the year of the waiting, isn't it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
04-03-2002, 12:23 PM
Thedigitalbits.com has an image of the prototype packaging for the 4-disc Special Expanded Edition. It's going to be in an imitation leather "book" somewhat like the upcoming Pearl Harbor SE. I'm attaching an image of the preliminary artwork. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
04-03-2002, 12:31 PM
Thanx for the picture JJB, looking cool! I really can't wait for this DVD.

PENDO!

Wolfwood319
04-03-2002, 01:21 PM
Rock 'N Roll! I like it, very epic looking. Any word yet on the WETA bookends? I just got my WETA Balrog today, its frickin' awesome!

chewie
04-03-2002, 02:13 PM
The only thing I don't like is that they're releasing the special edition(s) months later after the general DVD release in hopes of getting those who can't wait to buy two copies of the movie. Other than that, the multiple editions I don't have a problem with.

Beast
04-03-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by chewie
The only thing I don't like is that they're releasing the special edition(s) months later after the general DVD release in hopes of getting those who can't wait to buy two copies of the movie. Other than that, the multiple editions I don't have a problem with.
Well, it's not really their fault that it's going to be much later. Peter Jackson was working on finishing up Two Towers, and couldn't get away to record an audio commentary, or extra features. Plus they had to complete special effects for the extended edition of the film, and assemble new special features material. The stuff on the regular release of the film is mostly electronic press kit type stuff, and the specials that were shown on TV, so they didn't have to assemble many features. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rollo Tomassi
04-03-2002, 02:54 PM
Rather than start a new thread, I'll just add this to the LOTR thread already in progress:

Has anyone gone back to watch the four minute trailer at the end of FOTR?

Plenty of good stuff to look at. King Theoden looks great. I really liked Theoden's 'Where is the horse and the rider" monologue playing over the trailer. Gave it some artificial weight, but it was cool none the less. Almost didn't recognize Bernard Hughes in the role. Helm's Deep looks awesome! We get to see some Ents and lady Eowyn and Faramir. Grima Wormtongue makes a quick appearance. And last but not least, the White Rider in all his glory! Galadriel and Arwen show up quite a bit in the trailer. Don't remember much of them in the second book. Hmmmm. I know Arwen probably brings Aragorn the shards of Narsil to reforge, but Galadriel? We'll wait and see.

So who else has seen it?

Wolfwood319
04-03-2002, 02:56 PM
I saw it. I'm pleased with everything I saw with the exception of the "white rider's" horse. His horse is not white, but in fact a dark color. His horse goes by the name of Shadowfax. That's my only ''geeky fan observation" complaint.

Everything else looks so awesome, especially Helm's Deep.

Rollo Tomassi
04-03-2002, 02:59 PM
If I'm not mistaken, his horse changes color with the daylight. White during the day, and black at night. But it's been a few months since I read Two Towers. Anybody confirm or disprove this for us?

Beast
04-03-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Rather than start a new thread, I'll just add this to the LOTR thread already in progress: Has anyone gone back to watch the four minute trailer at the end of FOTR?
Going to go see it tommorow night, I can't wait. Sadly I have no clue what your talking about. I have never actually read the books. When I was younger I wasn't much of a fantasy person, I was all Sci-Fi and Horror, so I never was intrested. Now I love Fantasy just as much or more, and was going to read the books.

But then I heard they were making a movie I decided to wait. I am glad I did. I read the Harry Potter book before I saw the movie and was very unhappy because of it. In my mind, I guess that it's ok for a book to expand upon a movie, but I don't like it when the movie is a abridged version of the book. But If I see the movie first, and then read the book...I like it better. I dunno, maybe I'm crazy. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
04-03-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Rather than start a new thread, I'll just add this to the LOTR thread already in progress:

Has anyone gone back to watch the four minute trailer at the end of FOTR?

Plenty of good stuff to look at. King Theoden looks great. I really liked Theoden's 'Where is the horse and the rider" monologue playing over the trailer. Gave it some artificial weight, but it was cool none the less. Almost didn't recognize Bernard Hughes in the role. Helm's Deep looks awesome! We get to see some Ents and lady Eowyn and Faramir. Grima Wormtongue makes a quick appearance. And last but not least, the White Rider in all his glory! Galadriel and Arwen show up quite a bit in the trailer. Don't remember much of them in the second book. Hmmmm. I know Arwen probably brings Aragorn the shards of Narsil to reforge, but Galadriel? We'll wait and see.

So who else has seen it?

Sorry, RT. I just have to laugh at your post.:D I haven't ever read the books and only saw the first movie a couple of weeks ago without knowing who the heck anybody was or what the plot of the movie is. All the various names just sound like a bunch of people sitting around a kitchen table playing D&D on a Friday night.

I wonder if non-SW fans thing the same thing when they here us talking/debating about the movies.:confused:

Wolfwood319
04-03-2002, 03:11 PM

Sadly I have no clue what your talking about. I have never actually read the books.

That's ok, your still my friend and I still respect you...:(

j/k

When you see the preview, you'll see what we're talking about. The "white rider's" horse is white, but I don't remember it beeing that way in the book. His horse, Shadowfax, I always remembered as being dark and intimidating, but Rollo's thing about him changing colors, might be true. Been a while since I read the trilogy.

Beast
04-03-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
That's ok, your still my friend and I still respect you...:(
Don't worry, I plan to read the first book later this month. :D I have been planning on it, but again I just hate watching a movie and knowing word for word what is gonna happen. Well, except for Star Wars. That I love reading and knowing all about before I go see it. I dunno, again...I'm probably crazy. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
04-03-2002, 04:05 PM
Is Two Towers still slated for a December release? I read somewhere that PJ wanted to delay it til next summer to finish it up. :confused:

Rollo Tomassi
04-03-2002, 09:43 PM
Caesar, the trailer said "This Christmas" for whatever that's worth.

Wolfy, I have an "Expert" in the room that said the horse was always black. So you were right and I was wrong.

Wolfwood319
04-03-2002, 10:07 PM
I really can't say either of us were right, cause we both didn't know. The boss of the house also gave me a humorous verbal thrashing for not knowing, she is a LOTR nut and is a bit fanatical about it.

PJ wanted a little more time for TTT, but New Line said that it needed to be done by Christmas, so that is the release date as of now.

Rollo Tomassi
04-05-2002, 09:02 AM
Heh. My "boss of the house" (who is also a LOTR fanatic)was doing yoga at the time and annoyed that I interupted for such a silly question.

Beast
04-26-2002, 11:47 PM
New Info. The Special Extended Edition is coming out November 12 in 2 versions as I said above. Now we have artwork for those 2 different versions, including an image of what the 2 bookends look like. No idea on price yet, but I'll keep you informed. Enjoy, this info is from TheDigitalBits. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Special Extended Edition:

Beast
04-26-2002, 11:49 PM
Special Extended Edition Collector's Gift Set:

bigbarada
04-27-2002, 12:19 AM
Isn't the five disc set exactly the same as the 4-disc set with just the National Geographic documentary added in?

bigbarada
04-27-2002, 12:24 AM
Oops, didn't read the opening of this thread :o I thnk the five disc set will be the version I go for; but if I buy the super-deluxe versions of every film I am definitely not going to want to buy a collected edition trilogy later on.

Beast
06-08-2002, 01:44 AM
Specs for the 4-disc Extended Cut, and the 5-disc Collector's Edition set have been posted. Make sure you are sitting down, there is a lotta stuff here for you LOTR's fans. This info is from thehometheaterforum.com. Please note, they say that this isn't even the full spec sheet, and there will be more!! SRP looks to be 60.00 for the 5-disc set with the extras (CCG cards, statues) and 30.00 for the 4-disc set. 4!!! Audio Commentaries!!! :eek: :D

Discs 1-2: The Feature:
FEATURE (approx. 208 minutes) - Unique version of the epic adventure with 30 minutes of never-before-seen footage incorporated into the film and the new music scored by Academy Award®-winning composer Howard Shore:

Widescreen (2.35:1) version of the Special Extended Edition
Dolby Digital EX 5.1 Surround Sound
DTS ES 6.1 Surround Sound
Stereo Surround Sound
Four audio commentaries by director and writers, the design team the production team and the cast featuring more than 30 participants including Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen and Academy Award® winners Richard Taylor, Andrew Lesnie, Howard Shore, Jim Rygiel, Randy Cook...and many more.

Discs 3-4: The Appendices:
Two discs with hours of original content including multiple documentaries and design/photo galleries with thousands of images to give viewers and in-depth behind-the-scenes look at The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring:

Disc 3 - "From Book to Vision":
Adapting the book in a screenplay & planning the film
Designing and building Middle-earth
Storyboards to pre-visualization
Weta Workshop visit - An up-close look at the weapons, armor, creatures and miniatures from the film
Atlas of Middle-earth: Tracing the journey of the Fellowship
An interactive map of New Zealand highlighting the location scouting process
Galleries of art and slideshows with commentaries by the artists
Guided tour of the wardrobe department
Footage from early meetings, moving storyboards and pre-visualization reels
And much more!

Disc 4 - "From Vision to Reality":
Bringing the characters to life
A day in the life of a hobbit
Principal photography: Stories from the set
Scale: Creating the illusion of size
Galleries of behind-the-scenes photographs and personal cast photos
Editorial and visual effects multi-angle progressions
Sound design demonstration
And much more!

DVD-ROM Content: Includes access to exclusive online features

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
07-03-2002, 08:15 PM
This is intresting. I don't remeber if anyone else recalls, but back before Fellowship of the Ring opened, you could join the official fan club at a premium price, and get your name added to the credits of the DVD release. I believe it was 150.00 for Fellowship, 200.00 for Fellowship and Two Towers, and 250.00 for all three. Well, someone over at HTF.com posted the email he received:

Dear Charter Member:

I am pleased to report that the 19-minute credit scroll of Charter Members names was so impressive that director Peter Jackson wanted to expand it by placing original scored music behind the names as they scroll on-screen. Members names are ordered alphabetically by last name and integrate seamlessly into the format and style of the rest of the production credits. (Just for your information, the scroll of Charter Members names is twice the length of the credit scroll for the films production team!) This exciting addition will certainly reflect the Charter Member name scroll as an important and integrated part of the films credits.

As always, there is a cost to making something bigger and better and this situation is no exception. The space needed to add a 19-minute musical score to the name scroll and the time required for Howard Shore to score and produce additional music -- means that neither space nor time was available to place the Charter Member name scroll on the first Theatrical Release DVD (due August 6th). When New Line Cinema and Jackson originally approved the project, neither realized these space/time constraints would occur. Everyone regrets this, but also promises that the final result will be far more impressive than first planned. As promised, the enhanced-format name scroll with music will appear on all domestic and international versions of the Special Expanded Edition DVD and the Collectors DVD Gift Set -- both due November 12th

The first DVD is a two-disc set that contains the theatrical release of the film and a selection of special footage and features including: interviews with cast members; an exclusive 10-minute behind-the-scenes preview of The Two Towers; and a sneak peek at the two DVD releases coming in November. Due August 6th for $US29.95. (Does not contain Charter Member name scroll.)

Can you believe that, 19 minutes of names that required a special score to be produced. And that the scroll is twice the length of the film's production credits scroll. That's just crazy, I wonder how many people ended up taking advantage of this offer, and how many will be appearing on all three. :eek: :crazed:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
07-03-2002, 08:59 PM
That's amazing. I guess in August I'll just rent the DVD then, (since I've never even seen the movie) and watch its paltry special features...then in November I'll buy the Special Edition along with the DVD of AOTC.

I'll pass on spending an extra twenty dollars for bookends. :rolleyes:

Beast
07-03-2002, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
That's amazing. I guess in August I'll just rent the DVD then, (since I've never even seen the movie) and watch its paltry special features...then in November I'll buy the Special Edition along with the DVD of AOTC. I'll pass on spending an extra twenty dollars for bookends. :rolleyes:
Only small problem is if you want all the extra features for the movie, you have to buy both DVD sets. None of the special features on the August 6th release, will appear on the November 12th release. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
07-03-2002, 10:15 PM
Yes, I know that. I'll rent the August 6th one and watch its features, and purchase the November 12th one. Jar Jar, I'm a DVD enthusiast just like you--but I don't want to pay for this movie three times! :p

Does the bookend set include anything besides the National Geographic special that the Deluxe version doesn't have?

Beast
07-03-2002, 10:28 PM
Yes, I know that. I'll rent the August 6th one and watch its features, and purchase the November 12th one. Jar Jar, I'm a DVD enthusiast just like you--but I don't want to pay for this movie three times! :p

Does the bookend set include anything besides the National Geographic special that the Deluxe version doesn't have?
Three times? There are only two releases of the films. :confused:

As for the 5-disc box set, it will have the special box that the DVD set and bookends come in. As well as some exclusive promo CCG trading cards. So not really, no. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
07-04-2002, 09:01 AM
No. There's the one on August 6th, then the one on November 12th, then the 5-disc set.

Beast
07-04-2002, 12:49 PM
No. There's the one on August 6th, then the one on November 12th, then the 5-disc set.
The November 12th 4-disc and 5-disc set are the same DVD set, you just get extra stuff with the 5-disc set. The 5th disc being the National Geographic special. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
07-04-2002, 01:33 PM
Oh! Ok! I thought the 5-disc set came out later.

Beast
07-07-2002, 02:21 PM
There is a really good deal right now, for the 2-disc LOTR's DVD release on August 6th. At Blockbuster Video, for 24.99 you get a rental card, worth one rental a week for 10 weeks. And you get either the VHS release, the Pan & Scan DVD release, or the Widescreen DVD release for free. Not bad, 10 movie rentals and the LOTR's movie, for only $24.99. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
07-07-2002, 03:50 PM
That is a great deal--

But who on earth would want pan-n-scan?

Beast
07-07-2002, 03:58 PM
That is a great deal--
But who on earth would want pan-n-scan?
Those poor sad people, that don't understand why Widescreen is so much better then Pan and Scam. Usually referred to as Joe 6-pack, or J6P for short. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
07-07-2002, 04:57 PM
LOL.

When I was about 8 years old, I hated widescreen. I didn't know that you saw more of the movie--all I knew was that the two black bars made the screen smaller, and I didn't like that. :D

Kyo-Kasahara
07-08-2002, 02:20 PM

Those poor sad people, that don't understand why Widescreen is so much better then Pan and Scam. Usually referred to as Joe 6-pack, or J6P for short. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks Could you explain why widescreen is better?

Beast
07-08-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Kyo-Kasahara
Could you explain why widescreen is better?
Would be glad to. Well when you go see a movie at the theaters, notice that the screen is rectanguler. Now look at your TV screen, it's a square. So to fit a widescreen movie onto a normal TV they have to lop the edges off of the movie, and pan and scan the picture back and forth to the edges that are cut off. This totally destroys the shot and look of the film, that the director intended. But take a look at the following tutorial to get an even better idea how much you loose with Pan and scan. :)

Widescreen Tutorial (http://www.ryanwright.com/ht/oar.shtml)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pthfnder89
07-09-2002, 11:39 AM

Would be glad to. Well when you go see a movie at the theaters, notice that the screen is rectanguler. Now look at your TV screen, it's a square. So to fit a widescreen movie onto a normal TV they have to lop the edges off of the movie, and pan and scan the picture back and forth to the edges that are cut off. This totally destroys the shot and look of the film, that the director intended. But take a look at the following tutorial to get an even better idea how much you loose with Pan and scan. :)

Widescreen Tutorial (http://www.ryanwright.com/ht/oar.shtml)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I still remember when I got sent to Blockbuster to rent Apollo 13 for my family. I specifically picked out the letterbox version (on VHS, this was several years before DVDs were created).

The second I started the movie I was bombarded by questions from everyone about why I had gotten that "black bar" version where you couldn't see the top or bottom. I had to stop the movie and give the same explaination that JarJar just gave.

Most of them seemed to accept it but my stepmother just couldn't get the concept that the black bars aren't chopping anything off of the picture, they are PRESERVING it. Thankfully, now that DVDs are becoming common, most people simply accept letterboxing as the norm, even if they don't understand it.

Kyo-Kasahara
07-09-2002, 03:15 PM
Hey thanks Jar Jar, that really changed my opinion of widescreen. Now i'm gonna go with widescreen versions of all my DVD's thanks again for the info:)

darthvyn
07-09-2002, 04:35 PM
jjb, thanks for the tutorial. i've been a proponent for widescreen for a long time, but i never realized just how much you ACTUALLY have to explain to some people. i would always just say, no they really cut off the sides of the movie to make it fullscreen, and they would shut up. i guess not because i had answered their question, but just because they still didn't get it but realized i wasn't going to give in and put in the fullscreen version. hm.

i mean, sure, the noisy ones i actually had to go all the way through roughly the same explanation as the one on the site, but i guess they really GOT IT! as opposed to the ones that just stopped asking, they must still not really understand it. i'm going to email all my friends and relatives and such right now, so that they all understand. the cult of fullscreen has reigned too long! now is the time for action. now is the time for WIDENESS!!!!

Jedi Knightrider
07-09-2002, 06:05 PM
Ugh, I hate widescreen. It's so much smaller!

DeadEye
07-09-2002, 07:22 PM
It's smaller vertically, but not horizontally. You really don't know what you're missing. Jar Jar, help this guy out. :)

Beast
07-09-2002, 07:25 PM
Some people are beyond help. But I think that he was kidding. Or he has a really small TV set that he watches movies on. Best help I have to give is the link to the Widescreen Tutorial, that is now in my signature. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi Knightrider
07-09-2002, 08:22 PM
Kidding about what? Who was kidding? I can't stand how they cut off the top and bottom.

Kyo-Kasahara
07-10-2002, 10:07 AM
How about a widescreen TV then there won't be any black bars on the top and bottom?

DeadEye
07-10-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Knightrider
Kidding about what? Who was kidding? I can't stand how they cut off the top and bottom.

On fullscreen they cut off the sides, so you lose either way.

pthfnder89
07-10-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Kyo-Kasahara
How about a widescreen TV then there won't be any black bars on the top and bottom?

There actually still are occasionally. Not all movies are the same aspect ratio. Some movies are done in scope format which is a VERY wide filmstyle; StarWars and Pearl Harbor are like that as are many epic or action movies. Other types of movies, like comedies and such usually have a smaller aspect ratio (which means they aren't as "long" horizontally).

All widescreen TVs are built with the same aspect ratio and it's pretty much the "average" size to accomadate most movies.
But there are many types of films stocks out there so when you're watching, say, the Ep1 DVD on a widescreen TV, it's scope aspect makes it very wide horizontally, and thus there are still blacks bars at the top and bottom of the screen. But these aren't anywhere near as drastic as they are when you watch a letterboxed movie on a normal television.

PS - my explanation of film stocks and aspect ratios is VERY general but I just didn't want to get into a really detailed overview.:)

darthvyn
07-10-2002, 04:19 PM
The two main ratios are 1.95:1, and 2.35:1, meaning that the length is almost twice the height, and more than twice the height, repectively. the reason for this difference, is that some film makers don't want to use anamorphic lenses. anamorphic lenses on the camera distort the image as it is transferred to film, and then anamorphic lenses on the projector "un-distort" it, so it appears "normal." this is done so they don't have to get wider film, yet retain the amount of resolution with the film (the only other way would be to have shorter, but fuller frames on the film, thus smaller images.) 1.95:1 ratio is the highest ratio without special lenses.

widescreen tv's are generally created at the ratio 16:9, thus not exactly EITHER widely accepted ratio. still, something is better than nothing.

Beast
07-24-2002, 07:23 PM
Updated News:

People are starting to recieve their copies that ordered from some online retailers. Inside the package, is a coupon for $5.00 rebate if you buy the 4-disc set in November. Or a $10.00 rebate if you buy the 5-disc Special Collector's Edition. Thank you Peter Jackson, that is a nice thing to see. :cool: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
07-25-2002, 12:45 AM
I'm to assume that LOTR is coming out on VHS the same day as the 2-disc DVD (Aug 6)? I'd much rather have the DVD, but a $15 VHS tape is a lot cheaper than a $200 DVD player.:(

Beast
07-25-2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I'm to assume that LOTR is coming out on VHS the same day as the 2-disc DVD (Aug 6)? I'd much rather have the DVD, but a $15 VHS tape is a lot cheaper than a $200 DVD player.:(
Yes, it will be out the same day. BigBarada, I am gonna suggest that you get yourself an entry level DVD player. You can get cheap decent ones at Wal-Mart now for around 100.00. Just put it in layaway and you can take 3 months to pay for it. It's well worth the expense. I bought a cheap one a year and a half ago from them for under 150.00. Even though it's not the top of the line....it works great. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
07-25-2002, 01:00 AM

Yes, it will be out the same day. BigBarada, I am gonna suggest that you get yourself an entry level DVD player. You can get cheap decent ones at Wal-Mart now for around 100.00. Just put it in layaway and you can take 3 months to pay for it. It's well worth the expense. I bought a cheap one a year and a half ago from them for under 150.00. Even though it's not the top of the line....it works great. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I'm thinking about just going for a PS2 and killing two birds with one stone.:)

Anyway, my parents have a DVD player and the LOTR DVD on pre-order from Columbia House. I just wanted a VHS copy for myself until I can afford a DVD Player.

Besides, I'm having enough trouble just trying to figure out where I am going to get the $15 for the VHS, I don't even want to start thinking about anything more expensive than that. It sucks being a dirt poor college student who lives off of Financial Aid and Veteran's Benefits.:(

Beast
07-25-2002, 01:14 AM
I understand BigB, more then you can imagine. No worries, this isn't going to be a come and gone release. Once College is over with you can pick up the DVD's then. Atleast your parents getting this gives you another reason to visit home on occassion. Other then laundry and meals. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
07-27-2002, 10:32 PM
I had no idea that the DVD release would also coincide with a complete re-release of all the action figures. I just went to Wal-Mart today and saw all the FOTR posters and right next to the SW stuff, they had a HUGE section of FOTR toys. Is every other Wal-Mart getting a bunch of new figures, or has my Wal-Mart just been sitting on cases for months?

BTW, the advice I've been giving people who only want the Deluxe version of the DVD but want to buy the movie on Aug 6th is to just buy the VHS on the 6th and wait until Nov 12th to buy the DVD. That just seems to make much more sense to me.

Beast
07-27-2002, 10:44 PM
Problem with only buying the VHS on August 6th BigB, is if your a big fan of the supplements and such, you will want the DVD release. Since the extra features on both versions will be totally different. Plus as I posted above, you get a coupon for $5.00 off the 4-disc extended cut. Or $10.00 off the special 5-disc box set. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
07-27-2002, 11:52 PM
Oops, forgot about that part.:o

Well, if these people are smart they would have stopped listening to my advice years ago.;)

Beast
07-27-2002, 11:56 PM
Nah, you give good advice BigB. Heck, you were one of the people I looked up to when I joined the old forums. Ahh, the old days. Plus if you rent often, you can get the August 6th version for free anyway, from BlockBuster Video for buying a 25.00 10 week rental card, where you get 1 rental a week. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pthfnder89
07-29-2002, 02:34 PM

I'm thinking about just going for a PS2 and killing two birds with one stone.:)

That's definitely the best way to go Bb. My PS2 was my first "real" DVD player (the first was the DVD Rom in my comp) and it served me very well for almost a year, until I upgraded. And I still use it a lot for DVDs; I just took it over to my girlfriends house this weekend so we could watch something. It's a lot more portable than most players, and more portable than ANY player at the same price range :)

Of course, my dad just showed me his new toy this weekend, just to make me jealous. He bought a brand new portable Panasonic DVD player with and LCD screen, which he KNOWS I've been drooling for for a year now.:mad:Parents are cruel...:mad::mad:

I too feel the pain of being a poor college student. I'm in desperate need of a new computer, but even building one myself would cost at least $400 and I don't see where in the world I can get that.:(

Mandalorian Candidat
07-29-2002, 04:21 PM
Suncoast has the 4-disc set at $29.99 and the Aug 6 release for $24.99. Since they're usually more expensive than everyone else, I expect that the 4-disc set will be closer to $25 at WM and Target.

Beast
08-02-2002, 02:16 AM
The very first review is up on the LOTR's 2-Disc DVD set. I usually post the stuff here, so that you don't have to go thru hopping to another site, but it's really in depth, and is 8 pages long...so here is a link. The reviewer does make some nasty comments about Star Wars and compares the two, even though they really are seperate two different beasts. :( But the rest of his review is excellent. :D

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/366/366162p1.html

Oh, and if you don't like the DVD case art, one of the people from one of my favorite DVD websites, HomeTheaterForum.com put up 9 different covers and 3 different chapter title inserts. All you have to do is print them out and put it into a DVD case. Instructions are on the site, some of the art is really nice. :)

http://www.adamkoebel.com/lotrcovers/

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
08-02-2002, 10:44 PM
Just to wet everybody's whistle for the special edition, here is a pic from one of the added scenes. I found this one and several others on www.theonering.net

From what I can tell, this appears to be an extended scene of the Fellowship being led into Lothlorien after they escape Moria.

bigbarada
08-05-2002, 09:19 PM
Tomorrow's the big day.:)

hango fett
08-05-2002, 09:27 PM
i have not seen it yet, but it looks like a good movie and we will get it tomorrow on dvd.
h.

El Chuxter
08-06-2002, 12:07 PM
My Wal-Mart had it for $14.44. WM's prices don't always seem to be universal, but it's definitely worth checking out!

Pendo
08-06-2002, 02:32 PM
Well I got my copy of it today and the Special features are quite good, I wish there were more though! I really can't wait for the 4 disk set which comes out on 12th November, the preview of it on the DVD looks COOL!!
I also got to pre-order AOTC when I got LOTR so I'm happy now :D!

PENDO!

Darth Shifty
08-06-2002, 02:42 PM
I just got my copy and the trailer for The Two Towers is bad-@$$!!! Can't wait till winter! I got my copy at Wal-Mart also. It was $16.44 and it also came with a 2' x 3' poster of the DVD cover!

Mandalorian Candidat
08-06-2002, 05:43 PM
I am sooo tempted to buy the set today, but I really want the 4-disc set so I guess I'll just wait.

JesusFreak
08-06-2002, 09:45 PM
I got mine at Target for 16.99 this morning. The special features are great, can't wait for the 4 disc set! :)

Pendo
08-07-2002, 11:36 AM
Does anyone know where you can see the van in the background (timecode would be helpful)? I have been looking for it for ages cause I missed it at the cinema but I don't knon where to find it.

PENDO!

Beast
08-07-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Pendo
Does anyone know where you can see the van in the background (timecode would be helpful)? I have been looking for it for ages cause I missed it at the cinema but I don't knon where to find it.PENDO!
Originally it could be seen far in the background, during the scene where Frodo and Sam are talking in the cornfield, where Sam says that if he takes one more step, it will be the farthest from home, he's ever been. All that you really could see was a small moving object, but the dust cloud from the car was what caused people to notice it. You won't be able to find it on the VHS or DVD though, Peter Jackson had it removed from the print that was put on the VHS and DVD, since it was a mistake. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
08-07-2002, 11:59 AM
Thanx JJB!!! I should have looked more carefully when I went the cinema!

PENDO!

Beast
08-07-2002, 12:10 PM
Here's some comparison pictures from the original theatrical print that was transfered to DVD as an academy screener. It's really hard to notice, because it's just a small metallic moving object, kicking up a dust trail. If you have the National Geographic Disk, you may be able to see it easier, cause I know they show that scene. But here is the 2 pictures. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
08-07-2002, 12:13 PM
And here is a picture of the same scene from the corrected retail DVD release. Notice that the colors are crisper, as well. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
08-07-2002, 12:14 PM
Thanx JJB ;)!!!

PENDO!

Beast
08-07-2002, 12:19 PM
That's weird...are my attachments working correctly? They seem to not be opening in a browser window for me like they normally would. And they aren't showing up when I open them in my picture viewer software either. :confused: :(

I changed the pictures that I uploaded, hoping that would fix the problem. But they still want to be downloaded instead of opening in another window. Anyone else getting the same probem? :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
08-07-2002, 03:40 PM
I can't open them either JJB. I saved them before when it asked but i didn't bother to check them and I just have and they're not working :(. Thanx for them anyway! I'll see if I can get them fixed.

PENDO!

Beast
08-07-2002, 03:48 PM
Pendo, I got them to work. It needs to be refreshed from the original versions that were uploaded. Just right click on the attachment, and choose "Copy Shortcut". Then open a new browser window and paste it into the address bar. It will ask you if you want to save, but choose cancel. Now, push the Go button again and it should load the image. Apperantly the first ones were corrupted, but the new ones do work. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
08-07-2002, 04:05 PM
Thanx JJB, I got the 1st image to load but not the second.

PENDO!

bigbarada
08-07-2002, 11:05 PM
Well, after I sell back my college textbooks, I hope to be able to buy the DVD this weekend. My dad got the movie in the mail today (fullscreen VHS version:( ) so my parents watched it for the first time today and really like it. I really hoped there would be something else on the VHS in the way of bonus features but I guess they just barely fit the entire film onto one tape (the TTT trailer would have been nice, a sort of 'tune in next year for the next exciting episode' sort of thing).:)

Beast
08-07-2002, 11:19 PM
Ack, they bought a Fullscreen copy BigB? That has to suck, I have heard that it's really badly cropped, since it was a 2.35:1 movie. Like the scene of the 9 rings for the 9 mortal men, it looks like it's the 9 rings for the 4 or 5 mortal men. This movie should never have gotten a fullscreen release, especially in the DVD format. :cry: :(

By the way BigB. Best Buy has the movie on sale until Sunday for 15.99. I think there may be someplace cheaper then that, but I doubt it. That is a great deal for a 2-Disc DVD. A lot of stores are using it as a loss leader to get people in the door. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exhaust Port
08-07-2002, 11:24 PM
Ack, they bought a Fullscreen copy BigB? That has to suck, I have heard that it's really badly cropped, since it was a 2.35:1 movie. Like the scene of the 9 rings for the 9 mortal men, it looks like it's the 9 rings for the 4 or 5 mortal men. This movie should never have gotten a fullscreen release, especially in the DVD format. :cry: :(

It sounds like they really liked "ord of the Rin" or perhaps it was "rd of the R." :D

bigbarada
08-07-2002, 11:44 PM

By the way BigB. Best Buy has the movie on sale until Sunday for 15.99. I think there may be someplace cheaper then that, but I doubt it. That is a great deal for a 2-Disc DVD. A lot of stores are using it as a loss leader to get people in the door. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Yep the cropping was terrible, in the scene where Legolas successively shoots three orcs, two on them are off the screen. So, it looks like he shoots one orc then fires two arrows off into the distance. Oh well, when I get the DVD we will watch it again, this time the entire movie.

"ord of the Ring" Good one Exhaust Port.:D

That Best Buy deal would be great if there was a Best Buy within 80 miles of me. I have a choice of either Wal-Mart or K-Mart.:frus:

wedgeA
08-08-2002, 04:33 AM
Is there a WS VHS? I have not seen one yet. The local video store was playing the P&S version and it looked terrible.

As for the OAR DVD, the quality, great picture, very little grain, and the audio excellent, really loud. As for the extras, the TT promo is great, as well as the trailers and the spot for the Nov. special edition. The three docs are not so great, TV promo fluff, but not bad except for the horrible narration. Overall, this is a pretty solid disc.

Also, when I first opened the disc, disc one(feature) was horribly scratched, and there were audio problems, most likely due to the scratches. Anyway, the store was very helpful in replacing the disc with one that worked. Odd thing is that the scratched disc was firmly attached in the case when I opened it. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else ran into this, since it has never happened to me before.

Beast
08-08-2002, 07:48 AM
That Best Buy deal would be great if there was a Best Buy within 80 miles of me. I have a choice of either Wal-Mart or K-Mart.:frus:
BigB, if you have a Target in the area it's 16.99 for the DVD. K-Mart has it listed for 18.95, and I think Wal-Mart is, most likely 16.99 also. I don't have their ad though, so I'm not sure. If you have a Best Buy ad, remeber that stores like K-Mart and Wal-Mart do price match. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

icatch9
08-08-2002, 07:58 AM
Dumb question, but is TTT trailer the one that is mixed in with the behind the sceen look at TTT? That was great, but I was expecting a regular 2 min trailer, not a choppy behind the sceens look at the movie.

Any help hear would be hot :D

PS

I've never really sceen Strider without his get up on. That was until an interview in a special feature on the DVD. He looks so plain and un-bad@ss. Just MHO, but it was a real shock seeing the actor, and not the character.

Beast
08-08-2002, 08:05 AM
Yes, the TTT preview was the 10 minute featurette that included behind the scenes stuff. It was really nice I thought, alot more then normally is put on a disc about a sequel. You can tell that LOTR's is a labor of love for Peter Jackson.

Heck with Strider out of make-up and armor, did you see Orlando Bloom who played Legolas? He almost looks nothing like the charecter, what with that weird mohawk type of hairdo. I'm suprised they hired him to play Legolas, since to me the mohawk would have made me immediatly dismiss him as being a plausible Legolas. He does a damn fine job in the film though. Actually they all do, I see the charecter and not the actor. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

icatch9
08-08-2002, 08:48 AM
Well, I doubt that he auditioned with that hair cut, but who knows. From what I understand about him, he's quite crazy. So, that's probally what they wanted. Plus, he's tall and has a good face for an elf. I guess the get ups these actors wear to play these characters are very elaberate. So, when they take them off and just look normal, they are just that. Normal. You take the vest off of Han or the hat off of Indy you still get Harrison Ford a real action hero. You take the ears and bow away from Legolas and you get Orlando, some crazy xtreme sports nut :crazed:.

I guess that's good for thier anamosidy (sp?). Those two could walk down the street together and no one would know who they are. They probally like that.

Thanks for clearing up that whole trialer issue. I figured that was it, but I didn't want to miss something. Or worse yet have to hunt for it like in the Harry Potter DVD :frus:. Is there anything hidden on LOTR DVD? I hope not :p.

Beast
08-08-2002, 09:19 AM
No Easter Eggs as far as I or anyone else can tell. They probably saved anything that would be an Easter Egg for the 4-disc set in November. Can't wait for that, and the $10 rebate in the 2-disc set was a nice touch. Save those reciepts. :)

Ugh, don't remind me of the Harry Potter DVD. That was such a waste. I wanted making of features, audio commentaries, stuff like that. And what do we get, a pack of kids games and a small feature on the movie. :rolleyes: This is one of the movies, I am begging WB to double dip with a S.E. release. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

robman71
08-08-2002, 10:57 AM
Funny story about the PS version, I was in the store early yesterday to pick up a copy of the DVD and the girl at the checkout asked me if I was sure that I wanted the Widescreen version. I just about fell out at that point. I sorta replied that having a widescreen tv would be pretty useless with a PS version of the film. She retorted that a lot of people buy the widescreens by accident and then seek to return them because they hate the bars at the top and the bottom. I always thought that one would at least look at the packaging before buying.

bigbarada
08-08-2002, 11:25 AM
I always find myself returning the pan & scan version for the widescreen version. One some tapes, it's not very clear which version you are getting.

No Targets in my area either, Jar Jar.:( They were supposed to open a Blockbuster down here but the owner lost the lease before even opening the doors. So they have this brand new building just sitting around collecting dust until someone buys it.

JesusFreak
08-08-2002, 11:44 AM
Last I heard Wal-Mart had it for $15.88, I'm not sure cause I didnt go there but thats what I heard from somewhere.

El Chuxter
08-08-2002, 12:05 PM
Wal-Marts are varying widely. At three different stores, I've seen it for $16.99, $15.74, and $14.44. I think it depends on the manager and the competition in the area.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-08-2002, 12:47 PM
So does this set have the National Geographic LOTR special on it? I didn't buy this set because I'm waiting for the Nov. one, but I've looked at the contents description on the back of the case and didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

Is that special good enough to get it by itself?

icatch9
08-08-2002, 01:43 PM
Jar Jar, can you tell me how this $10 cupon works? Is it $10 off the 4 disk or 5 disk set? Also do you need the cupon or the reciet and cupon. Plus, is it a mail in rebate or do you get it off when you are at the store? Thanks for your help ;)

El Chuxter
08-08-2002, 02:24 PM
$5 off the four-disc set or $10 off the big ol' 5-disc gift set, provided you have the receipts and POPs for both.

MC, the National Geographic special will be included in the gift set come November. (JarJarBinks, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the NG special extended from the DVD currently available?) If you want it, make sure you get the 5-disc version.

icatch9
08-08-2002, 03:00 PM
Thanks El Chuxter that helped out a bunch. So, becasue the LOTR DVD can be had for around $15, I think I'll buy it. Since I planned on buy the 5 disk set anyway. The $10 cupon makes the current LOTR DVD only cost about $5.00, that's cheeper than renting it (nearly:)). Hears the math as I see it

5 disk set $50.00 (only guess, it may be cheaper)
LOTR DVD $15.00 (avg. of all stores)
______
Total $65.00
-$10.00 (cupon from first DVD)
________
Final Tot. $55.00

So, I'm only paying $5.00 to get the DVD now. Chances are I can sell the first LOTR DVD to a used shop for at least that. So, the way I see it I can't afford not to buy it :). I just wish I'd of thought of this on tuesday when I spent $4 to rent it at Blockbuster :(. Oh well, I figured it out now. It's all a numbers game.

Beast
08-08-2002, 03:19 PM
Yes, the NG documentary included in the 5-disc set is supposed to be an extended version. Which means soon I will have an extra copy of that to trade/sell/give away. Plus you get those sweet as hell WETA Workshop statues/bookends. :)

Icatch9, if you order it online the 5-discer can be had for about $50.00. My local Media Play has it for pre-order, but they want $69.00, or so for it. I may actually order this one online, unless Best Buy gets it for cheaper. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JesusFreak
08-08-2002, 06:06 PM
For some reason my LOTR didnt come with the coupon but my brother's did, it really sucks :(

I'm still not sure whether to get the gift set or just the normal extended version. :\

Beast
08-08-2002, 06:12 PM
JesusFreak, either take it back to the store you got it from and tell them the coupon book inside is missing. Or call New Line to report that the coupon book was missing. They will likely send you one in the mail.

Whether to get the gift set is really a personal choice. The statues and collector cards arn't anything that you need to enjoy the film. The 5th disc is just an extended cut of the National Geographic Behind the Movie special that is available sepratly. So it depends if you would be willing to pay an extra $30-$40 for those things. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JesusFreak
08-08-2002, 06:23 PM
Yeah, if I got the gift set I would have to wait till christmas cause I gotta get star wars and spider-man around that time as well, I'd have enough for just the extended version if I wanted to get it right when it was released. Also I heard you have to cut off the proof of purchase for the coupon to work, is this true?

Beast
08-08-2002, 06:30 PM
Yes, one of the small POP points that are just above the UPC symbol is what you send in with the certificate and the receipts. Not sure where the POP will be on the boxset, likely on the big outer box, since I think the inner movie box is the same. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
08-08-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by JesusFreak
Also I heard you have to cut off the proof of purchase for the coupon to work, is this true?

Yeah. :(

I picked up the 2-disc version and convinced my girlfriend not to get the 4-disc version. And when she opens her Christmas presents--BAM! There's the 5-disc collectors set. :D

On a funny aside, I think y'all will get a kick out of this: my coworkers are the kind of eccentric backwoods folks who believe they are religious without actually knowing anything about the Bible and thus feel everything is evil. I am apparently going to Hell because I'm the only person here who likes the LOTR movie(s) and books. I'd hate to know the reaction if I told them I liked Harry Potter and listened to Ozzy Osbourne. :eek:

JesusFreak
08-08-2002, 06:38 PM
Thanks Chuxter, I think I'll just get the extended edition. BTW I'm a Christian and I think LOTR and Harry Potter are great, some people from my church don't like harry potter but everyone has their own opinion.

Beast
08-08-2002, 06:42 PM
I have an ex-friend like that also, he was always saying that I'm going to go to hell, stuff like that. He got even worse after he got married. His wife is way worse then he is. She made him quit playing Asheron's Call because it has magic in it. She also wouldn't let him see Harry Potter or LOTR's either, because they have "evil magic" in them. :rolleyes: :p Mind you, I have no real problem with someone having beliefs, as long as they arn't thrust on me. I just think they can be taken to far, and I especially dislike large organized religions. :)

Funny part is that she doesn't know that he slipped out of the house and went and saw Lord of the Rings. There would have likely been a hell of a fight if she found out. The funny thing is, that he was telling me that she really liked "Resident Evil". Isn't that where alot of dead people come back from the dead and eat people? Yeah, that is so much better then movies with magic. :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
08-08-2002, 08:45 PM
There are a lot of "pseudo-Christians" who give us real Christians a bad name. If you are going to adhere to a religion, it would help if you actually knew something about it.:stupid:

Anyways, so what is all this about statues with the 5-disc set? Did I miss something?:confused:

JesusFreak
08-08-2002, 09:16 PM
You know the big statues holding their hends out on the river? You get bookend versions of those. Heres a pic

Exhaust Port
08-08-2002, 10:49 PM
Those are awesome!

2-1B
08-09-2002, 03:21 AM
I was at Best Buy today for a few things (namely the Simpsons Season 2 which has sold out. :mad: ) . . . . and I picked up the current LOTR set.

I did plan on buying the huge gift set instead, but the more I thought about, the more I realized how uninterested I am in the extra stuff the gift set has to offer. I really liked the movie (except for those goofy hobbits) but I don't think I would value the bonus stuff. A friend is waiting til November, and I may watch that once, but I doubt I'd "have to have it." :)

Since I was already buying another DVD today, I got a $3 coupon which brought the price down to $12.99. I figure I got a great movie with some cool bonus features for 6 and a half dollars per disc. :cool: Can't wait to watch it for a second time!

JJB - imagine my horror when I realized I was reading the back of a Fullscreen copy! :eek:
Don't worry, it took me less than a second to replace it with a Widescreen version. ;)

Beast
08-09-2002, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
JJB - imagine my horror when I realized I was reading the back of a Fullscreen copy! :eek:
Don't worry, it took me less than a second to replace it with a Widescreen version. ;)
:eek: Don't scare me like that Caesar! I thought I was going to have to pull out the NERF™ crotch bat and teach you some lessons. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
08-09-2002, 04:18 AM
I bought the 2-disc set tonight (Yes widescreen. :p) but I didn't get all the way through it, I'm waiting for tomorrow when I'm more...awake. :D Looks great so far though, well worth the buy IMO. :cool:

icatch9
08-09-2002, 07:57 AM
JesusFreak, either take it back to the store you got it from and tell them the coupon book inside is missing. Or call New Line to report that the coupon book was missing. They will likely send you one in the mail.

Whether to get the gift set is really a personal choice. The statues and collector cards arn't anything that you need to enjoy the film. The 5th disc is just an extended cut of the National Geographic Behind the Movie special that is available sepratly. So it depends if you would be willing to pay an extra $30-$40 for those things. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Yea, mine didn't come with a coupon either:mad: :mad: . The only reason I bought it was to get the coupon. I got it at Target. I'll take your advice and try and return it, but won't they give me the run a round :confused: . I can't imagin why they would not include a coupon book in every one :(.

On a better note. I did get mine for $5 cheaper than I should have. My target had then for $16.99, but it also had a 4 day coupon on the front of the package fro $1 off a 2 leiter of Coke or $5 off same LOTR CD Cardz thing (not even sure what that is??). So, I got over to pick up my coke to see it was only $0.99. So, I was getting a 2 leiter for free, not bad :). Well, the casier rang up the wrong coupon and I got the $5 off instead of the $1 off. Way cool. So, I got LOTR for $12. So, if your still waiting to buy it, and have a Target near you try to use that $5 coupon becasue it will work without haveing to buy anything else. If it doesn't work, just play dumb and walk right over to the service desk and return it. Your not even out anything :). It's a little underhanded :evil: , but Target makes more money than we do :).

Hey, Jar Jar. Any further thoughts on the lack of a coupon in some copies of LOTR?

Pendo
08-09-2002, 08:27 AM
Does anyone know if the UK version comes with the coupon? I got mine the other day, but NO COUPON :cry:! Not that I'm gonna use the coupon, just wonderin if us Brits gets one too.

PENDO!

Jonna
08-09-2002, 09:40 AM
I know that I am going to get whipped for this, but I just rented the DVD last night and both myself and my girlfriend were so disappointed with it. The movie is far to slow and long. She actually fell asleep sitting up. And the features on the DVD were...well...even more boring then the movie. Did I get a fake copy or something??? Man, I hate hype!

Beast
08-09-2002, 11:20 AM
*Pulls out the Balrog's Whip and gives Jonna 10 lashes* ;) :D

The first one does take a while to get going, because they are setting up charecters and situations. Not to mention that is the framework of the original book. The next two are much more exciting, so hopefully you like those 2 better.

Hey, no worries if you didn't much care for it. The world would be a pretty damn boring place if everyone liked or hated the same stuff. The movie was mega hyped, so don't feel bad for not liking it as much as you thought you would. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jonna
08-09-2002, 11:37 AM
Well in possible defence of the movie, my girlfriend rented the full screen version by accident. I locked her in the closet for it. I laughed.

bigbarada
08-09-2002, 12:00 PM
Well, if you thought the FOTR movie was slow, then I don't recommend you read the book. The movie is the book, except in super-high speed. Everything that might have seemed to drag in the movie (I can't imagine what, but that's just me) is drawn out about 10 times longer in the book.

I always felt that the events in the movie were a little too hectic, but that's because I read the book first. Now I am starting to appreciate the movie more for it's high-speed pace. Although it needs to be about four hours longer.:)

Anyway, no worries, Tolkien is not for everybody. I'm just glad these films are being made as well as they are.

Beast
08-09-2002, 12:12 PM
Just be glad that what was mentioned in the extra features didn't come to pass BigB. Peter Jackson mentions that originally New Line only wanted to do 2 movies. Can you imagine how much more they would have compacted the story into 2 three hour movies instead of 3. I am sure we would have lost alot of charecter development and traveling time in the movie just to get to the juicy action. BTW, the titles were if I recall correctly, going to be: "The Fellowship of the Ring" and "The War for the Ring"

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
08-09-2002, 12:28 PM
It would have been like the Bakshi LOTR cartoon from 1977. An incoherent mess, that leaves the audience flabbergasted as to what it is they just wasted three hours on.

From the way I heard it, PJ wanted to do only two films; but New Line green lighted him for three, so he said 'what the hell?' I just love the rumor mill.:)

(BTW, totally off topic, but really bizarre, I am listening to an oldies radio station right now and they are playing that old Mecco disco-rendition of the Star Wars theme. Pretty cool.:D )

2-1B
08-09-2002, 12:33 PM
I won't be using my coupon book. If anyone needs it, let me know. :)

Beast
08-09-2002, 12:34 PM
It may have been Peter Jackson that only wanted to do two films. I have to check my suppliment disc again to be sure. Unfortunatly my suppliment disc needs replaced, cause it glitches really badly on two of the documentaries. :( Regardless, you are exactly right. It would have been a total inconerent mess. :)

(Cool, what the heck kinda cool station are you listening to that would be cool enough to play somthing like that. :cool: :) )

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
08-09-2002, 01:03 PM
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the Hobbits that much Caesar, I kind of thought the Hobbits were portrayed really well especially since they kept to the spirit of the books. I'm not sure if you didn't like the way they were portrayed or if you just object to Hobbits in general. In any case, LOTR without Hobbits is like Star Wars without Jedi.:)

(The radio station I always listen to is an oldies 50s, 60s, 70s station. They play all the good stuff and do requests throughout the day, I'm guessing someone either requested it or the DJ was just in a Star Wars kind of mood.:cool: )

pthfnder89
08-09-2002, 01:14 PM
It may have been Peter Jackson that only wanted to do two films. I have to check my suppliment disc again to be sure.

It was Peter Jackson who initially proposed only doing two movies. When he met with the New Line, they bascially told him since there are three books, they should make three movies.

Although he did propose only doing two, that's really only because he only thought he could sell the studio on doing two movies. He never thought they would be willing to gamble on three. I think we can all be thankful he was wrong!:D

2-1B
08-09-2002, 01:21 PM
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the Hobbits that much Caesar, I kind of thought the Hobbits were portrayed really well especially since they kept to the spirit of the books. I'm not sure if you didn't like the way they were portrayed or if you just object to Hobbits in general. In any case, LOTR without Hobbits is like Star Wars without Jedi.:)

Hey B, get this - after I saw themovie I told a good friend that I thought it was very cool and I just didn't care for the Hobbits. He laughed, saying, "that's what the movie's about!" :p
I think it's just that I don't like Elijah Wood and especially Sean Astin. I just couldn't care about them . . .

But wow do I love that Gandalf ! Saruman is crusty/great, Aragorn (sp? Viggo's character) is awesome, and I'm rather fond of that Legolas too.

:cool:

bigbarada
08-09-2002, 02:09 PM
Samwise is my favorite character in the film, mainly because of Sean Astin's portrayal of him. I think he was perfect in the role. Different strokes, I guess. I was worried about Elijah Wood before the movie came out, but the film itself alleviated all of my fears. Now whenever I read the books I can only picture Frodo as Elijah Wood. I can only picture Elijah Wood as Frodo, also. It was especially funny to watch Deep Impact again after seeing FOTR. When Wood's character proposes to his girlfriend he opens his hand and in it he has two golden rings! I just started laughing out loud when I saw that.:D

The only character I had a problem with was Gimli. Don't get me wrong, John Rheis Davies was perfect as the gruff dwarf. His role was just cut down waaay too much from the book. But from the added scenes I've seen for the Special Edition, it looks like a lot of his best moments will be put back in.:cool:

JesusFreak
08-09-2002, 08:48 PM
I'm currently reading TTT (already read ROTK, dont ask why) and its so awesome, I like it more than the first and I can't wait for the movie. As far as hobbits go, I love em, theyre so short, and have such big hairy feet, they're jolly good folk :)

BTW I bought my dvd at target too, maybe they took all the coupon books out :eek:, I wouldnt have used the coupon anyways cause I didnt know you had to cut off the POP.

bigbarada
08-09-2002, 10:27 PM
Now that I've seen all that extra stuff you get with the 5-disc set, JesusFreak, I think I will go ahead and wait for that one and just mooch off of my parents for their DVD until then.:) Seems like a good time to look into getting a DVD player.

I'm also getting ready to reread TTT to prep myself for the movie, for some reason I remember very little about what happens in that one. I know all the basic plot points though, and I can't wait to see it all (well most of it) unfold on the big screen. I think people who thought FOTR was too slow will probably like TTT and ROTK better, since they are much more action packed.

Beast
08-12-2002, 07:16 PM
I was watching my replacement suppliment disc for LOTR's while I'm online. And the TV spots reminded me how shocked I was when Fellowship got screwed over at the Oscars. The best movie of 2001 sure lost alot of awards to other films. I had forgotten how many for sure wins ended up going to other films.

Fellowship was up for 13 Oscar Nominations:
Best Picture - Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
Best Director - Peter Jackson
Best Supporting Actor - Ian McKellen (Gandalf the Grey)
Best Writing (Screenplay - Based on Material Previously Produced or Published) - Philippa Boyens, Peter Jackson, Frances Walsh
Best Cinematography - Andrew Lesnie
Best Film Editing - John Gilbert
Best Art Direction - Set Decoration (Art direction: Grant Major
Set decoration: Dan Hennah)
Best Costume Design - Ngila Dickson, Richard Taylor
Best Sound - Christopher Boyes, Gethin Creagh, Hammond Peek, Michael Semanick
Best Visual Effects - Randall Cook, Jim Rygiel, Mark Stetson, Richard Taylor
Best Make-Up - Peter Owen, Richard Taylor
Best Music (Original Score) - Howard Shore
Best Music (Original Song) "May it Be" (Music: Enya , Roma Ryan, Nicky Ryan Lyrics: Enya , Roma Ryan, Nicky Ryan)

They only ended up winning 4 awards. They were for Best Cinematography, Best Visual Effects, Best Make-Up, and Best Music (Original Score). What won the others were:

Best Picture - A Beautiful Mind
Best Director - Ron Howard (A Beautiful Mind)
Best Supporting Actor - Jim Broadbent (Iris)
Best Writing (Screenplay - Based on Material Previously Produced or Published) - Akiva Goldsman (A Beautiful Mind)
Best Film Editing - Pietro Scalia (Black Hawk Down)
Best Art Direction - Set Decoration (Art direction: Catherine Martin, Set decoration: Brigitte Broch) (Moulin Rouge)
Best Costume Design - Catherine Martin, Angus Strathie (Moulin Rougue)
Best Sound - Michael Minkler, Chris Munro, Myron Nettinga (Black Hawk Down)
Best Music (Original Song) "If I Didn't Have You" (Music and Lyrics: Randy Newman) Mosters, Inc.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JON9000
08-12-2002, 07:24 PM
Jar Jar- we will never see a Science Fiction or Fantasy picture win the big one. Star Wars lost, Clockwork Orange lost, and 2001: A Space Odyssey lost. These movies are all AFI top 100 flicks and are iconic. The academy considers the genre lightweight- so what can you do?

bigbarada
08-12-2002, 11:39 PM
A Beautiful Mind was created for the sole purpose of winning an Oscar. I don't begrudge Ron Howard his Oscar, but he didn't deserve it for ABM. However, it is long overdue that he get one.

I was really routing for LOTR to win, but in my mind, I knew it was a long shot. Same with Peter Jackson getting Best Director. I'm just glad that idiot Roeper's wish for a complete shut-out of FOTR in the Oscars didn't come true. That moron wouldn't know a good movie if it bit him in the :eek: (he nominated Shallow Hal as one of the Top Ten movies of 2001 for proof that he is a total ignoramus).

The only thing I was a little peeved about was that of all the great performances in the film, only Ian McKellan was nominated and he didn't win. Elijah Wood should have been at least nominated for Best Actor, IMO.

Oh well, it's all water under the bridge right now. I doubt TTT or ROTK will get anything aside from technical nominations. I'm sure the films will be wonderful like FOTR, but the Academy (in it's infinite politicking) won't nominate a sequel for Best Picture/Actor just on principle it seems.

Of course, next year TTT will be going up against Ep2 for all the technical Oscars. Of course, the Academy could still be "punishing" George for his independence and snub him entirely like they did for Ep1 (how that overrated Gap commercial won Best Visual Effects over Ep1 is beyond me, but that's another topic).

Beast
08-12-2002, 11:52 PM
Roeper's a moron. I really wish that when Roeper was badmouthing LOTR's in front of Ebert that Ebert would have acted on the thoughts that were churning in his brain. You could see it in his mannerisms, voice, and his defense of LOTR's. He wanted to leap out of his chair and throttle Roeper. Not that he wouldn't deserve it, the dumbarse. I would pay to see a steel cage match between those two. :)

Agreed, I think the academy snubbed alot of great performances, and just gave a pity nomination to Ian McKellan, because they needed another name. They never capture the likes of the average movie goer, it's all about politics in the end, just like you said BigB. And that is pretty sad, if you ask me. :(

Exactly BigB, the fact that the Academy actually punishes Lucas because he doesn't conform to their ideal of what a director/movie maker should be is assinine. Same reason that Kevin Smith will never be honored by the academy. They don't follow the rules, so they can't be honored. Thank god for the MTV movie awards. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
08-13-2002, 11:52 AM
I'll throw in my two cents for more fuel on the fire.

Enya shouldn't have lost to Randy Newman for best song. She did a really good job and the song fit in well with the movie, while Newman's song was the typical lame Pixar/Disney obligatory feel-good music. The only reason why he won is because he's been overlooked for so many years. While Newman is a great composer, Enya had him beat this year.

On another LOTR-related note, has anyone else seen the giveaway that KIA is doing? If you test drive one of their cars you get a free copy of LOTR. You have to do it between now and the end of Sept. They don't give you it right there, but you get a certificate for a free tape or DVD. You call a number then they send it to you in 4-6 weeks. I don't know if you get the coupon for the deluxe set with it but it's worth a try. www.kia.com has the details.

hango fett
08-13-2002, 02:38 PM
we got this dvd and it was a pretty good dvd. has excalent picture, and it's widescreen to make JJB happy!
h

JesusFreak
08-13-2002, 06:02 PM
:( I just found out that if I buy Spider-Man and Episode 2 I won't be able to get the LOTR extended edition till Christmas. Guess it'll be joining BTTF and ET on my christmas list.

bigbarada
08-13-2002, 06:16 PM
I think the LOTR 5-disc edition will take priority for me above all films (yes, even Ep2). For a couple of reasons: 1. the 5-disc FOTR set is a limited edition, AOTC is not; and 2. I just liked FOTR better.

I saw that Kia commercial on TV, M.C. Pretty funny with the Nazgul chasing down that couple in the Kia.:)

derek
08-13-2002, 09:06 PM
Big Barada,

a "gap" commercial? do you mean the matrix? if so, i agree with you.:)

bigbarada
08-14-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by derek
Big Barada,

a "gap" commercial? do you mean the matrix? if so, i agree with you.:)

Yep, I was referring to The Matrix.:)

El Chuxter
08-14-2002, 11:48 AM
Be careful about holding off on ET as well, no matter what edition. I understand both versions of it are limited as well.

Beast
08-14-2002, 12:12 PM
Yep, E.T. will only be available for retailer orders for 10 weeks, and then it goes on moritorium for who knows how many years. Maybe forever until the next format comes along. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
08-14-2002, 12:41 PM
Oh, for those of you missing the coupon book from the 2-disc LOTR's set, Thedigitalbits.com has info for you. I'll keep my eye on it, so I can post the link to the address when it's posted. :)

One quick note - a lot of you have asked about the rebate coupon that's supposed to be included in the 2-disc Lord of the Rings DVD, which gets you $5 off the 4-disc release in November. Many people seem to be missing their coupons. Not to worry. I'm told New Line is putting all the details on the offer on-line soon. We'll be sure to post a link as soon as they send us one.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
08-14-2002, 02:09 PM
Anyone interested in a good laugh should check out the Hollywood Video "60-Second Theater" ad for LOTR. It's hilarious stuff. (they also have a funny one for Harry Potter and their version of Jurassic Park 3 is almost better than the actual movie.:) )

http://www.hollywoodvideo.com/company/advertising.htm

Beast
08-14-2002, 02:41 PM
Those were hilarous BigB. Thanks for passing them along. I wish they would do some for more movies. The LOTR's one was great, and so was the Harry Potter one. And you are right, their version of JP3 is almost better then the movie. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

icatch9
08-14-2002, 02:50 PM
Dumb question, but I'm not Oscar educated like you guys. What movie beat TPM for best Visual effects? I didn't realize that it didn't win, but like I said I don't put much value in Oscar moives.

JON9000
08-14-2002, 02:55 PM
I have a feeling it was the Matrix- if memory serves

icatch9
08-14-2002, 02:58 PM
Big B refers to that as a Gap commercial? Well, I don't know about that, but the last time I went into the Gap I didn't see a full body leather suit to buy my fiance'.

Still I understand where he's comeing off of, it was a very "styleistic" movie.

Still you've got to give The Matrix props, it did have some amazing stuff never seen befor. So did Star Wars, but the academy aparently doesn't like GL, so they aren't going to give him any nods if they can help it.

bigbarada
08-14-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
Big B refers to that as a Gap commercial? Well, I don't know about that, but the last time I went into the Gap I didn't see a full body leather suit to buy my fiance'.

Still I understand where he's comeing off of, it was a very "styleistic" movie.

Still you've got to give The Matrix props, it did have some amazing stuff never seen befor. So did Star Wars, but the academy aparently doesn't like GL, so they aren't going to give him any nods if they can help it.

I wasn't referring to the fashion in the Matrix (which I blame for the horrible designwork of the X-Men movie) but that worn-out gimmicky special effect that was used extensively in commercials (namely the Gap), music videos (even Country Music videos) and other movies (Lost in Space). All the creators of The Matrix did was add the extra gimmick of having the character moving while the camera rotated around them. That's an evolutionary change, not revolutionary by any means. The Visual Effects Oscar should go to the movie that pushes all other movies forward in the realm of special effects (Star Wars Saga, Jurassic Park), not inspires a bunch of irritating copycats (The One, X-Men).

Anyways, those are my opinions on the matter. As for those Hollywood Video commercials, I wonder what their Ep2 ad will be like? Should be pretty funny stuff.:D

derek
08-14-2002, 04:28 PM
hey jar jar,

i noticed in order to get a rebate for buying the special edition LOTR set, one has to include the "Proof Of Purchase" from the 2 disc set. well, the "P.O.P" is printed on the back of the dvd cover. i really don't want to deface my dvd back cover by cutting the "P.O.P." out to send in. did new line do this on purpose to keep people from collecting the rebate?

Beast
08-14-2002, 04:39 PM
Well, the P.O.P is only one of the small squares, but I agree with you. It's a pain in the rear that they expect us to cut it off and mail it in. They could have printed the POP on the insert, which I wouldn't mind as much. Fox knows how to handle POP's, they are usually on the booklet inside. :)

It all depends on whether you consider $5-$10 dollars worth cutting a small square off the back of your DVD cases. Myself I don't really mind, the discs are the imporant thing. I'm hoping that for the 5-disc set they thought ahead, and made an extra flap on the package with the P.O.P attached. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
08-14-2002, 05:35 PM
Can't you just photocopy the POP?? Will they accept that?

PENDO!

Beast
08-14-2002, 05:43 PM
The coupon says specifically that you need the original store reciepts and the original proof-of-purchase from both sets. I don't think they would accept a photocopy, since it usually says specifically if they will accept them. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

icatch9
08-15-2002, 08:22 AM
I don't know anything, but it sure would be hard to cut the back of 4 and 5 disk sets. Isn't it a thick leather looking book? I don't think my sisors could cut it:).

Beast
08-15-2002, 09:35 AM
Just saw this at DVDFile.com. Some intresting news reguarding the DVD release of LOTR's. Nice to see a studio not try to pad the sales numbers, like usually happens with big releases. The Pan & Scan vs. Widescreen numbers are a little distressing though. Hopefully all those stores that ordered FullScreen, sell out of WS and have tons of P&S copies overflowing the shelves. :D

'Rings' rules the charts - 12:01am

When a big-time studio decides not to play the numbers game, isn't it worthy of a plug? Or is it just a slow news day around here? It was certainly a forgone conclusion that the when The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring debuted on DVD earlier this month, it was going to easily obliterate the competition right out of the gate, likely on its way to becoming one of the top-selling DVD titles of the year, if not all time. But rather than play that old industry shell game - "front load" zillions of copies of a title, proclaim yet another blockbuster seller to the press, then quietly sit back and watch as the following months see a substantial percentage of copies returned from overstocked retailers - New Line opted instead for a policy rare in the industry: honesty.

At the Lord of the Rings Central Park "party on the lake" kickoff on August 3rd, New Line Home Entertainment president and COO Stephen Einhorn simply stated "We won't ship as many copies as Harry Potter," referring of course to parent company Warner's blockbuster release last spring, and predicted that the days of "front loading" blockbuster releases are "obsolete." Thankfully, don't expect a press release heralding Rings as the latest "Fastest-selling DVD of All-Time!" anytime soon...

But perhaps more interesting to the readers of these pages were New Line's official estimates of total DVD versus VHS shipments, as well as widescreen versus pan & scan breakdown. The studio placed total initial shipments at 65 percent DVD to 35 percent for the VHS, and 54 percent of total DVDs shipped widescreen, versus 46 percent pan & scan. Further sources indicate that more mainstream mass merchants, such as Wal-Mart and Target, made for a disproportionate number of the pan & scan shipments, compared to the more "high-end" retailers, such as Tower Records, which reported a sales ratio of 8 to 1 in favor of widescreen.

From these numbers it is clear that there is no denying that pan & scan has become a highly-requested DVD feature for retailers, if not consumers. But the numbers are also doubly surprising (and likely troubling to many) for a title that most previously predicted would skew heavily towards a demographic (mostly males 18-to-34) that already favors widescreen. So with a preference for widescreen versus pan & scan likely approaching the halfway mark, is it only a matter of time until the DVD format becomes even more mainstream and "full frame" becomes the preferred method of viewing for the majority? We can still hope not... but stay tuned.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pthfnder89
08-15-2002, 12:51 PM
A Beautiful Mind was created for the sole purpose of winning an Oscar. I don't begrudge Ron Howard his Oscar, but he didn't deserve it for ABM. However, it is long overdue that he get one.

You absolutely hit on my feelings there BigBarrada. I finally sat down and watched A Beautiful Mind the other night, and while it's very good it just DID NOT deserve Best Picture.

However (and I may get a lot of flack for this) I don't think LOTR deserved it either. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE this movie, but I don't think it was the best film of last year. For my money, Black Hawk Down absolutely should have gotten the Oscar. I've watched it countless times since it came out on DVD and I love it every time. It's serious, funny, sad and has some of the best action I've ever seen in a war movie. I think it really got gipped. :mad:

Now that I've said that, I think Peter Jackson had BETTER win a Best Directors Oscar for one of the LOTR films. The sheer talent and imagination and hard work that he has put into the LOTR trilogy is the very definition of being a director and if they don't give him an award I'm going to drop a Balrog on their damn heads!

bigbarada
08-15-2002, 02:58 PM
I thought Black Hawk Down would have been an excellent choice for Best Picture. While I would have loved to see FOTR win, I'm kind of relieved it didn't, since critical lambasting of the next two movies would be ruthless. "The series can only go down from here," would be the general opinion among the critics. Although Peter Jackson does deserve an Oscar, but he will never get one with so few movies under his belt. Again, all politics, nothing to do with merit or quality.

I think P&S sales were so high because the VHS was only available in P&S. Although I did predict that as DVDs became more mainstream, P&S would be in higher demand by the unwashed masses.:)

Beast
08-15-2002, 03:05 PM
People should really take pity and wash those masses, BigB. Then sit them infront of a TV with the P&S vs. Widesceen tutorial that has been on a few DVD's, like the one on Die Hard. And also show them the one on the link in my sig. May wake up a few confused souls out there. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
08-15-2002, 03:33 PM
Unfortunately, that would never work as long as TV manufacturers continue to make TV screens the wrong shape.:)

derek
08-15-2002, 04:18 PM
my dvd player has a zoom feature on it. anytime someone complains about "them black bars" i just zoom in untill it's fullscreen and then quickly zoom out and say, "see how much of the film you're missing?" that convinces them on the spot that widescreeen is better.:)

if they have a small TV, i tell them to just "SIT CLOSER":)

JesusFreak
08-15-2002, 11:24 PM
TheOneRing.net says that the current running time for TTT is....

*SPOILERS*

Three hours and Fourteen minutes and the Battle at Helm's Deep is 50 minutes long, how awesome is that!

bigbarada
08-16-2002, 12:38 AM
That would be great; but I think the studio will force it to be cut down to just under three hours. I guess we'll have to wait for the DVD to get the real version of T2T also.

Any word on exactly what scenes are being put back into FOTR? I just found out that Toy Biz plans on making a toy of Smeagol and his friend (for those who have read the books, you know who I am talking about). That scene was clearly cut from FOTR's intro (if you look, you will see a clean, flesh colored hand picking up the Ring from the bottom of the river Anduin and a dirty grimy hand holding it - the cutscene should fit right in there).

I hope this is put back (or put into T2T) because it seemed so odd having a link in the chain of Ring ownership removed like that (even though it was a very brief link).

Beast
08-16-2002, 12:48 AM
I think Smeagol's origin will be further explored in TTT's, atleast that was what the original plan was. Things of course can always change. I posted before what the expanded version of FOTR will include, I know it's somewhere in these 12 pages. Oh wait...duh, I forgot it was on the first page. I'll repost it here, cause the release is coming up. Note that they thought the added battle scenes would push it to an R, it stayed PG-13. ;) :D

A new addition to the opening sequence in which Bilbo provides background on Hobbits and their history in voice-over as he writes his memoirs.
A new introduction to Samwise Gamgee, seen in his capacity as a gardener.
A scene taking place at the Green Dragon Inn, which introduces us to the camaraderie of the Hobbits (we see them singing together) and sets up the geopolitics of the story.
The Hobbits witnessing the departure of the Elves from Middle Earth on the way to Bree.
Aragorn watching over the sleeping Hobbits, singing the ballad of Beren and Luthien to himself in the night.
Aragorn at his mother's grave, in which we learn that he was raised by Elves and that Sauron has long hunted him.
Two new moments during the departure from Rivendale, one in which we see Arwen's emotional reaction to Aragorn's leaving, and another in which Elrond sees the Fellowship off.
A scene with the Fellowship in the mines of Moria, in which we learn how the Dwarves themselves unleashed the fire-demon that eventually destroyed them.
A scene at Lothlorien, where Galadriel bestows upon each of the Fellowship a gift which will play an important role later in the Trilogy.
And finally, more footage of the battle at Amon Hen. This is not particularly bloody footage, but its addition will likely result in this cut of the film receiving an R-rating.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
08-16-2002, 07:50 AM
jar jar,

you think it will get an "R" rating? i would wager the expanded edition will be not rated, as it dosen't have to be submitted to the MPAA for review for ratings in theatres.

wouldn't this be considered the "unrated director's cut":)

Beast
08-16-2002, 10:24 AM
No, they thought themselves that some of the battle scenes for the battle of Amon Hen at the end of the film was going to push it to an R. The MPAA passed the extended cut with a PG-13, so either they didn't care, or just didn't see much reason to knock it to an R.

I don't think that it could be considered that. On the DVD of the theatrical edition, Peter Jackson said he doesn't like the term "Director's Cut", because it implies that the theatrical cut wasn't the director's version. Peter Jackson had final cut on the movie, unlike many directors. That's why they are calling it an Extended Edition. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
08-16-2002, 11:23 AM
Some of you are just going to totally laugh at me, but I actually went to a KIA dealership to get the free LOTR DVD that they were advertising. I test drove a car, asked tons of question, got the salesman thinking that I was going to buy it, then asked for the video. Turns out they got rid of all of them the day after it started.

I felt like Kramer in the episode when he drove that SAAB into the ground then at the end said "Well, I'll let you know."

Beast
08-16-2002, 11:31 AM
That's weird. They are supposed to give you a card or a phone number to send away for the video and it takes 4-6 weeks. I wonder if he was yanking your crank, because he figured you weren't serious about buying the car. Or he was just a dumbarse. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pthfnder89
08-16-2002, 02:24 PM
I think Smeagol's origin will be further explored in TTT's, atleast that was what the original plan was. Things of course can always change.

I agree, it's more likely that Gollum will be explored in TTT. The folowing may contain very MINOR spoilers to anyone who hasn't read the books:

Very little happens to Sam and Frodo and Gollum for the first part of TTT. It's mostly just them travelling into Mordor, so having a flashback to explain where Gollum came from would really help to liven up that part of the movie.:)

Any battle footage that is added to the extended cut of FOTR will definitely not be any gorier than what was in the theatrical cut. Jackson stated early on when the extended DVD was announced that since they new they had to get a PG-13 rating, there was no point in filming bloody battle scenes which they knew they wouldn't be able to edit into the film.

Still, I'm glad to hear that the Amon Hen, that's one of my favorite parts of the movie and I always wanted it to be a bit longer. (although it's not nearly as disappointing and abrupt as the Jango/Mace battle ;))

Mandalorian Candidat
08-16-2002, 03:50 PM
That's weird. They are supposed to give you a card or a phone number to send away for the video and it takes 4-6 weeks. I wonder if he was yanking your crank, because he figured you weren't serious about buying the car. Or he was just a dumbarse. ;) :D

According to their rules you get a certificate with a phone number and you call it in and order what you want, DVD or VHS. If that dealership is out, then tough luck to you.

Actually I tend to believe the salesman. I live in an area where the people are nuts about anything scifi or fantasy based. I'm just surprised that it only took a day to get rid of them.

I really acted serious about buying the car. I asked a million questions and even sat down to figure out the monthly payments. It was only when I got up to leave that I asked about the DVD.

At least they didn't give me the cartoon version of LOTR. That would have been the ultimate bait-and-switch. :)

Mandalorian Candidat
08-16-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89
I agree, it's more likely that Gollum will be explored in TTT. The folowing may contain very MINOR spoilers to anyone who hasn't read the books:

Very little happens to Sam and Frodo and Gollum for the first part of TTT. It's mostly just them travelling into Mordor, so having a flashback to explain where Gollum came from would really help to liven up that part of the movie.:)

I asked this question a while back and don't believe anyone had a satisfactory answer. Will the movie of TTT mirror the book and have the first half only with Aragorn and Co. then switch to Sam and Frodo or will we see something like in ESB and ROTJ where scenes are cut back and forth between the two parties?

I would rather have it done the latter way because sometimes you get a little bored of seeing the same people on screen all the time and need a change of scenery to keep your attention.

pthfnder89
08-16-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
I asked this question a while back and don't believe anyone had a satisfactory answer. Will the movie of TTT mirror the book and have the first half only with Aragorn and Co. then switch to Sam and Frodo or will we see something like in ESB and ROTJ where scenes are cut back and forth between the two parties?

Going on the way the Jackson edited the frst one, I'm pretty sure that he'll intersperse the two stories. That's just the only way to tell the story in a film format, and Jackson has shown that he's definitely capable of juggling time frames and characters that way.:) So the film itself will almost certainly be split up.

What I'm really wondering is whether the Battle of Helm's Deep will be a continuous 40 minutes or whether he will break it up with scenes of Frodo and Sam.

bigbarada
08-16-2002, 05:03 PM
I think that he can only really cut the two parts together, audiences got lost watching Pulp Fiction and that only jumped around a little bit; but to complete one group's story then jump right back to the starting point to tell another group's story would lose most of the audience. Plus there are events happening in parallel to each other that would have more dramatic effect if we can see everyone's reactions at the same time.

Although anyone who has read the books can guess that, unless some serious rewriting is done, the climax of the entire film will be Shelob's Lair. (I'm not worried about that being a spoiler since people who haven't read the books will have no idea who or what Shelob is).

I've heard that an additional scene will be added where Gimli expresses his love for Galadriel, it will probably be added in with the scene where she is giving them all gifts, because Gimli asks for a very unique gift from her. I really hope that this is the case, since it will add much more depth to his character and will explain some events later on.

BTW, Jar Jar, it's "Rivendell" not "Rivendale.":)

Beast
08-16-2002, 05:21 PM
pthfnder89, Peter Jackson said in interviews that the battle of Helm's Deep will run 45 minutes or so, and will be one continuous. I guess Peter Jackson is going for the longest running battle ever filmed. ;) :D

BigB. The DVD shows that scene where Galadriel asks Gimli what gift a dwarf would ask of her. And he says, "To look upon the Queen of the Elves one more time." Somthing like that, so it appears to be in the gift giving addition.

Sorry about the error, I took the list from another website, and they don't always get every spelling right. But they usually are right on the ball with DVD news, so I tend to believe them in this case. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
08-16-2002, 06:18 PM
hey jar jar,

i know the special edition isn't technically the directors cut, but from what i've seen, most stuff that hasn't been released in theatres is not rated, like all the supplemental material on most of the dvd's released today.:)

Beast
08-16-2002, 06:25 PM
Usually it depends on if the Director wants to take the time to run it back by the MPAA. Most of them just say "screw it" and mark it as un-rated. I believe Peter Jackson actually had the DVD re-submitted. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
08-16-2002, 09:48 PM
pthfnder89, Peter Jackson said in interviews that the battle of Helm's Deep will run 45 minutes or so, and will be one continuous. I guess Peter Jackson is going for the longest running battle ever filmed. ;) :D

BigB. The DVD shows that scene where Galadriel asks Gimli what gift a dwarf would ask of her. And he says, "To look upon the Queen of the Elves one more time." Somthing like that, so it appears to be in the gift giving addition.

Sorry about the error, I took the list from another website, and they don't always get every spelling right. But they usually are right on the ball with DVD news, so I tend to believe them in this case. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

In the book, Gimli actually asks Galadriel for a strand of her hair (she gives him three strands). He never really uses the strands at any point in the story so I can see that particular request getting cut out.

One thing I am wondering though, will T2T be made on the assumption that a majority of it's audience has seen the Extended Edition. There are things that take place in the next film that could get confusing if people haven't witnessed some of the additional scenes added into FOTR. For instance, SPOILER!!! Not really, but some people are incredibly picky about such things:

When Sam uses his rope, which was given to him by Galadriel, so that he and Frodo can get off the cliffs of the Emyn Muil, the rope comes to him when called. That same rope burns Gollum when he is touched with it, since it is Elven make. If the audience doesn't know that the rope is a gift from Galadriel, then these magical properties might be confusing. Not to those of us who read the books or who possess half a brain, of course; but confusing to the average moviegoer who still hasn't figured out that Palpatine is Darth Sidious.:sur:

El Chuxter
08-19-2002, 11:24 AM
I made my parents watch it yesterday, and they loved it. My mom got worried when Saruman and Gandalf got down and dirty, and cried when he fell off the bridge. (I have to make sure she don't see no TTT previews. :D)

Mandalorian Candidat
08-19-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
I made my parents watch it yesterday, and they loved it. My mom got worried when Saruman and Gandalf got down and dirty, and cried when he fell off the bridge. (I have to make sure she don't see no TTT previews. :D)

WOW! If she cried at that I can imagine how she'd be after watching the end of ET or when Bambi's mom gets killed. :) I imagine Peter Jackson now has two more fans of his work.

icatch9
08-20-2002, 09:09 AM
Man or woman. Hard@ss or pansy. When Gandaulf fell into Shadow it was very sad. I didn't cry, but it sure pulled on my strings a bit. A lot more than ET or Bambi.

bigbarada
08-20-2002, 08:22 PM
The two most moving moments for me in FOTR were when Gandalf fell off the bridge (seeing how broken up everyone was after escaping Moria actually brought a tear to my eye and a lump in my throat) and when Frodo stood up and offered to take the Ring to Mordor while the rest of the Council was bickering. I never thought a fantasy film would be capable of evoking that kind of reaction from me.

Beast
08-21-2002, 04:38 PM
Hail. JesusFreak posted a new picture of the 4-disc Extended DVD set open in "The Two Towers and Return of the King **SPOILERS!!!**" thread. Now I know that not everyone likes spoilers, so with his permission I am linking directly to his attachment so that you can see what it looks like open. :)

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=161571

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
08-21-2002, 04:41 PM
Hey it looks cool :D. Thanx for the pic JesusFreak, and the link Emperor JJB. Can't wait to add that to my collection.

I'm trying to stay away from TTT and ROTK SPOILERS cause I've not read the books and want to be surprised when the film comes out.

PENDO!

JesusFreak
08-21-2002, 09:28 PM
I just got the pic from TORN, it's not like I took it or anything, lol.

*Bookmarked this page*

Beast
08-28-2002, 03:07 PM
Wow, these are some intresting pictures. Look at all the picture that you are loosing on the P&S version of the disc. It still makes me crazy how many people would rather the ends of the movie were chopped off, instead of seeing black bars. :crazed: :mad:

http://www.widescreen.org/examples/lord_rings_fellowship/index.shtml

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

icatch9
08-29-2002, 07:26 AM
I've got a question for you. Now I'm all for widescreen, it's the true way to go. Still how come in widescreen movies they sometimes chop off the tops of the characters heads. This is clear in the first photo on that website. In the pan-scan version you can see the top of Galadrel's (sp?) head, but in the widscreen you cannot. Sure your not missing anything by not seeing the top of hear head, but how come they have to cut it off. This is true only in certain cases of character close ups, but still I've noticed it many times in widescreens.

2-1B
08-29-2002, 12:21 PM
icatch, usually when someone shoots a movie, there are other elements just off screen that are still being "filmed."

Picture that rectangle image on a monitor, and while the director frames a shot a certain way, they can still see the perimeter around the shot that won't be used in the release.

So when they go to hack it up with P&S, they have to wiggle the image around a
bit . . . and in order to get a "decent" shot they need to pull back out of the original frame and they end up using a slice here and there that the director specifically decided to not use in the shot to begin with.

Hmm, not sure if I phrased this well - maybe someone else can jump in here . . .

Beast
08-29-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
I've got a question for you. Now I'm all for widescreen, it's the true way to go. Still how come in widescreen movies they sometimes chop off the tops of the characters heads. This is clear in the first photo on that website. In the pan-scan version you can see the top of Galadrel's (sp?) head, but in the widscreen you cannot. Sure your not missing anything by not seeing the top of hear head, but how come they have to cut it off. This is true only in certain cases of character close ups, but still I've noticed it many times in widescreens.

Well Caesar is half right, in the case of Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, both of those movies are filmed in Super 35. The film frame is much larger then a typical film frame, because the camera actually exposes the image on the area of the film that normally carries the sound. So the directors frame out the top and bottom of the image, when they film the shots. So in those cases you do loose some information on the top and bottom of the picture, you gain much more on the sides. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

icatch9
08-29-2002, 01:35 PM
Makes since, sort of. There is no easy answer so you guys did explain it well. I'd rather see what's going on the sides than on the top and bottom anyday. It seems to me that the Pan & Scan version of LOTR was really butchered. Wounder what intern did that :D??.

Well, thanks for the info.

Beast
08-29-2002, 01:37 PM
Here's a bit more info from www.widescreen.org:

This process does not involve widescreen lenses, but rather it involves framing the picture to fit the ratio of the screen. The top and bottom of the frame are "matted" out and removed from the picture completely, resulting in a rectangular picture.

Super35 movies are filmed using flat lenses. Using an optical printer, the "interpositive" image is then contact-printed to produce an "internegative" anamorphic release print. As a result, an anamorphic image from a Super35 original tends to have a "gritty but sharp" look that is "harder" in a way than an anamorphic image, which has a "smooth" look.

Many movies made in Super35 are transferred to video with the top and bottom of the frame restored, so that you actually see more of the picture on video than you did in the theater. However, scenes which include special effects in them are almost always filmed hard-matted in the appropriate widescreen ratio and therefore must be subjected to the pan-and-scan process.

The image above is from James Cameron's Terminator 2. The red area represents what you see in the theatrical version. The blue represents the "pan-and-scan" version, although as you can see there is no panning or scanning.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JesusFreak
09-07-2002, 03:55 PM
In case noones seen it yet, here's the back of the FOTR Extended Box

bigbarada
09-08-2002, 01:01 AM
I really can't wait for this set. Of course, this takes priority over any SW toy that comes out between now and Christmas. I will just have to borrow my parents' DVD player to watch it.

Jar Jar, I like the idea of keeping the Super 35 picture with the restored top and bottom of the film. I just wish the big SPFX movies would be able to restore those ends, but the extra FX in those tiny sections could add up to millions just by themselves. The only reason I am complaining is that widescreen is kind of hard on the eyes for those of us with tiny TV sets (when you can't spare $3.50 for a single clearanced Ep2 figure, a new TV is totally out of the question).

Have I mentioned this before? I hate being a dirt poor college student!:frus::(

scruffziller
09-08-2002, 12:32 PM
Ok I might have missed it but I searched the whole thread, couldn't get an extreme clear answer, so the 5-disc set come out on Nov. 12th as well, correct?

JesusFreak
09-08-2002, 01:14 PM
Yes, the 5 disc set comes out on November 12th as well :)

JesusFreak
09-12-2002, 09:12 PM
One of the guys at TORN was sent the extended dvd script, he has posted basically what the scenes are, not word for word or anything but go over there to see for yourself. Here's the link, there are spoilers though. (http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/2/1031858689)