PDA

View Full Version : Word UP! Pay attention to be taught latest Youf speak from the UK

jeddah
03-28-2002, 09:53 AM
Hey all,

in light of little or no posting, and that I'm in a good mood and looking forward to going out tonight to get munted (very drunk) I thought I'd follow on from the pants fad to the new one;
innit

"Innit" has now pervaded most walks of life media-wise and means "isn't it." It's not to be used in correct context and it is this malapropism that has made it a buzzword and an engenderment of the zeitgeist. It comes from the black bashment clubs of South London (pron' - Sarf Landon)

Here're four examples;

Correct use

I love goin' out, innit!

These American's are crazy, innit!

Incorrect use

This is mad, innit!

Tomorrow's Good Friday, innit!

Usually it is said in a common squeaky accent, perhaps like a stereotypical Essex girl. But let's not try to run before we can walk ;)

So, now you know, I'd like to see this adopted into your daily vocab along with "pants" (which is getting a bit passť now, BTW)

Now, for your homework, I'd like you to come up with 2 good examples and 2 incorrect examples of your own. Better make it about mms or we run the risk of gettin the thread deleted, innit :D

jeddah :kiss:

np: I'ma tell ya - Schooly D

vulcantouch
03-28-2002, 11:00 AM
. . .or someone Might've noticed i picked up use of "innit" from Someone some Time ago :p as assigned, two examples:
"eat a choy, eat a choy, eat a choy choy mate! innit!" :happy:
(say following while twirling billyclub)
"'ello 'ello 'ellohh, what's awl this then innit!" :D
vt
np: english beat, "twist & crawl"

jeddah
03-28-2002, 11:57 AM
.... but it doesn't seem to mean anything; "Eat a choy."
:confused:
FWIW, I remember seeing it an' wondering what the Hello you were going on about, innit. :p

jeddah

good shot jansen
03-28-2002, 12:15 PM
INNIT!!!!!!

don't ferget to post something nice when you scrumble back in tomorrow morn after you're nacht o' fun girl, we love it when you have a blonde day! innit!

JediTricks
04-03-2002, 01:14 AM
I'm so lame I thought it was "idnit" - same meaning - which we've been saying since I was still in grade school.

britcit3
04-22-2002, 12:44 PM
Jeddah

Having just returned from the US here is a true story about our US friends perversion of the mother tongue.........

THIS IS TRUE

Last week, I was in a museum in Raliegh called Exploris.

I was outside the museum with the entry sticker on my t-shirt when a old lady with a very broad Southern drawl approached me and asked......

"Murmer, murmer, murmer, son?" - old dear

"Pardon ?" - BC3

"Murmer, murmer, murmer, son?" - old dear again

"Sorry ?" - BC3

"DO......YOU......WORK.......HERE.....SON ?" - old dear again in very slow loud voice

"Oooh!!!!!!! No, I'm just visiting" - BC3

"Pardon ?" - old dear

"No, I'm just visiting" - BC3

"DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH ?" - old dear

! - BC3

AND........

To add insult to injury............

They have re-dubbed BOB THE BUILDER with an American accent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upset

BC3

jeddah
04-22-2002, 03:33 PM
These Americans are......well, ya know the rest ;)

W/B BC3. I suppose you upheld the British standards of politeness by not telling her to boll**** :D (your use of 'old dear' must also appear so quaintly english to our foreign MMers, like. :evil: ;)

jeddah