PDA

View Full Version : The best deal you ever got.

darth maul rat
03-28-2002, 10:36 PM
I don't know if anyone has ever tried this one, but with all the talk about how old you were and what toy was your first, I got to talking to some other SW fans the other night about the best deal that I ever got when it comes to buying toys. We also talked about the best deal that we ever passed up.

The best deal I ever got is a tie. Back in '79, I found a vinyl cloak Jawa at a garage sale for 15 cents. At the time, I had no idea the significance of the figure. It would be years before I would find out just what it was that I had. Then, in '88, I was at a flea market and glanced into a box of cheap toys, and the guy had a Blue Snaggletooth for 35 cents. Needless to say, that sucker was mine.

The best deal I ever passed up is a tie too. Back in '85, I remember standing in front of an endcap at TRU that had every Power of the Force figure, except for Carbonite Han. I had ten bucks on me, and the price had gone up to like $2.79. So, I picked out Stormtrooper Luke, Amanaman, and R2 with the Lightsaber, rationlizing that these were Star Wars figures, and they would always be here. I never saw them on that rack again.
But the true winner came in the summer of '80. I was at another flea market here in Indy, and I walked past this guy's table and he had a case of ALIEN figures. The twelve inch ones. The ones that go for hundreds of dollars in crappy condition. He wanted five bucks apiece for them. He had at least six. I had six bucks on me, but in the end, decided not to spend it. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

How about you guys?

LTBasker
03-29-2002, 01:35 AM
I guess the best deal I've ever gotten on Star Wars figures would be me getting the FX-7 wave, Jedi Armor Obi-Wan, 2 more Rebel Troopers, Ketwol, Eeth Koth, Zutton, Emperor's Wrath Vader, POTJ Luke Pilot, Deluxe Luke w/ Bacta and Deluxe Maul without shirt for a total of $12.

As for the best deal I've passed up, there have been quite a few, one including when Darth Vader w/ removeable helmet came out, I found 3 at Wal-Mart at individual times, the first one I put in lay-a-way with a Biggs and Ewok 2-pack cause I didn't have enough money on me, and I was gonna have to have them in for a little bit, well during that time I saw 2 other Vaders, each one at individual times and I didn't give it a second thought (this was when I just bought 1 of each and ripped'em open) well, the day comes when I'm finally able to get the lay-a-way out and guess what, Wal-Mart just happens to "lose" my lay-a-way which just happens to include 3 of the hardest to get figures. (then at least since they were new) So I ended up having to pay $10 for one of those Vaders at a flea market, that's not the only time I've gotten lay-a-ways "lost" at Wal-Mart.

One time also was when I had a bunch of extras in lay-a-way at Wal-Mart that I put in later in the day on May 3rd after going that night to get my first E1 figures, I put alot of figures in there which would be my carded doubles but that was also supposedly "lost" when it had new and I don't doubt some possible rarer figures, it wasn't me losing the lay-a-ways due to not getting them out in time, they actually lost the lay-a-ways, however I wouldn't be suprised if it was just some sell-out there who forked'em over to a scalper. :frus: :Pirate:

good shot jansen
03-29-2002, 10:10 AM
that would have to be finding the action fleet tie defender, e-wing, imperial lander, and jabbas sail barge at targets in 98, all marked down to $7.99 each.

another good deal was the electronic at-at for $20.00 plus free shipping from kbtoys.com about two years ago.

dirtybones
03-29-2002, 04:40 PM
Ha! I would have had a complete stormtrooper out fit with the shoes the body liner and the holster all for the price of FREE!!! But it was a friend of mines. He and his wife were getting a divorce and to make him mad she was going to just give it to me just to **** him off. long story short. She got it all in the end and ended up selling the suit at a weekend garage sale or ten bucks!!:cry: :frus: :mad:

odb
03-29-2002, 04:51 PM
Best deal:

Probably a Naboo Royal Starfighter for 2 MIB, or the POTF Rancor and Bantha for $50 including shipping to the UK.

As for missed deals the millenium falcon, B-wing, Tie Defender and imperial lander for 5 each at a Woolworths, I thought they hang around for a while, I was wrong.:frus:

Dryanta
03-29-2002, 07:59 PM
I was visiting the inlaws in New Jersey around christmas time and I went up to this little hole in the wall toy shop in Bergen or Bergen field I think.Anyway,they had a 12" Han and Taun Taun there for $80.I told him I'd like to have it but it was too pricey.He said I've got one that the box is damaged.I asked how much?$25.Sold american!!In the process I also got a 12" Luke and Wampa from him.Both for $45.couldn't believe it.I open everything so this was a real sweet deal.
Luckily I can't think of any real good deal I ever missed out on.

browndroid
03-29-2002, 08:08 PM
my best deal would probably be getting the naboo royal starship for $15, best past up deal would be when all those rare ep1 figs were just released and i had no money, but didnt put em on lay away...they were never seen again...:cry: