PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Mistakes...

Lobito
08-29-2001, 04:52 PM
How many mistakes have u found in the Star Wars films, including TPM???

stillakid
08-29-2001, 05:10 PM
Define mistakes or this might take all year to fill out.

Lobito
08-29-2001, 05:17 PM
For example, in ANH Special edition, when R5-D4 explodes they decide to take R2. As soon as they get R2, u can see R5-D4 again. How is that supposed to happen if R5-D4 had just exploded????

Mistakes in the film, that is.

master jedi
08-29-2001, 11:01 PM
In RotJ when Oola is falling into the Rancor pit you can see her breast fall out of her costume.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-29-2001, 11:13 PM
in ANH Special edition, when R5-D4 explodes they decide to take R2. As soon as they get R2, u can see R5-D4 again. How is that supposed to happen if R5-D4 had just exploded????
Uh, the entire droid didn't explode, just the motivator. The head had some smoke, that's all.

In ROJ, you can see a reflection of Han in a glass/plastic barrier as he runs away from the bunker just before it explodes.
Qui-Gon's mustache gets thinner in different scenes, sometimes different shots of the same scene.
Stormtrooper hits his head entering Death Star control room.

Others?

Darth AL
08-30-2001, 01:14 AM
In ESB after han gets tortured by Vader and the storm troopers bring him back to his cell, the storm troopers drop han on the ground and one of the storm troopers helmet almost falls of so he walks out of the cell with his head tilted and his helmet half off.

if you watch R2 after Leia gives him the death star plans and 3P0 calls R2, R2 is heading straight for the wall when they cut the scene.

and another error is when Darth vader and Tarkin are talking about the presence of Obi Wan in the Death star the voice over is completely off. Vader says his lines then right after he motions with his hand and there is no speaking. watch you will notice and laugh.

also in Empire when Vader is telling Luke about how he is his father, you will notice Vaders helmet blowing nicely in the wind
I`ll let you know when I remember more

Emperor Howdy
08-30-2001, 02:00 AM
In TPM, some CGI wiseguy snuck in and added a horribly annoying talking lizard...actually giving him lines and a lot of screen time. Without a doubt the worst SW mistake ever.....

Boba Rhett
08-30-2001, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by master jedi
In RotJ when Oola is falling into the Rancor pit you can see her breast fall out of her costume.

That one always seems to be the one you remember. Hmm... I wonder why.... :p

GNT
08-30-2001, 02:16 AM
ANH: When vader is next to the M. Falcon he says his lines but vaders movements are off

ROTJ: On Jabbas Barge,Luke and Leia are aboyut to swing, from the angle off the Barge and that the Swing across is totaly impossible.

During Llightsaber battles you can see the rod they used before changing it to the light that comes from the handle!

JediTricks
08-30-2001, 07:34 AM
Actually, Oola's top reveals too much several times in the original AND an additional time in the Special Edition. I think Lucas knew he had to add skin to keep ROTJ from being considered worse than Ep 1. ;)

Han's shirt changes designs from ESB to ROTJ, even though he's supposed to be in carbonite the whole time.

Rollo Tomassi
08-30-2001, 11:07 AM
When Han and Chewie run back to the Falcon in ANH and then Luke and Leia show up and they say "What took you so long?" you can see Luke and Leia's shadows on the wall behind Han and Chewie. They are waiting for their cue to run up behind them.

After Luke knocks Vader off the carbon freeze platform, he jumps down behind him and then his head pops back up into frame in the lower left hand corner because he landed on a trampoline. (the sound of him landing is foley.)

The string pulling the "porchlight" droid on Tatooine behind Luke and 3PO when they are searching via macrobinocs for R2 at dusk.

There are more...

stillakid
08-30-2001, 11:23 AM
I notice that during the Sail Barge fight, Luke's lightsaber suddenly loses its cutting power and merely knocks people over.

El Chuxter
08-30-2001, 12:46 PM
The smoke from Jabba's pipe moves backwards in a few scenes.

Obi-Wan's Padawan braid switches sides.

In the original release, while the Rebels are escaping Bespin, you can see the soles of Peter Mayhew's Chewie shoes.

In a few scenes, lightsabers cast shadows.

I've not verified these, but apparently R2 switches places after being captured by the Ewoks, Peter Mayhew can be seen looking from around an Ewok hut while his character should still be tied up, and David Prowse can be seen through the ANH Vader mask.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-30-2001, 01:14 PM
ROJ: When Threepio falls off the sail barge into the sand, you can spot the wires used to drop him. The infamous Fett reversed frame in Jabba's palace where his viewfinders on the wrong side. Some TIE Fighters disappear when approaching the Death Star II.

ANH: Stormtroopers don't grab Luke and Leia's legs when the blast door opens a bit, over the DS chasm, and they miss both he and she from wide-open ranges! :D

Mandalorian Candidat
08-30-2001, 02:02 PM
In ANH:SE where Han and Chewie are chasing the STs down the hall to the dead end, there are reflections from lights in the wall which were removed when they stuck in the new footage of the TIE hanger.

There's also that infamous scene in ESB:SE where Han, et. al. enter the dining room and the wall in the corridor across from the room has changed.

MICHAELFRIGHT SPFX
08-30-2001, 08:48 PM
I will mention all the ones I know without repeating those mentioned above. However, the ' luke & Leia's shadow on the wall one is more obscure than the rest. Good job on that .

I have watched STAR WARS so many times, I seem to find something new everytime.

Here I go.

1. Take a good look at Artoos face the first time you see him in the Blockade Runner. You'll notice a large abrasion by his eye.
This abrasion disappears the moment they land on Tattooine.

2. In one of the first close ups of threepio in the Blockade Runner,
look closely at the wall behind him as rebel soldiers run by. you'll see one of the white "boxes" on the wall is vibrating. I highly doubt the walls would be made of flimsy plastic on the real ship.

3. when the droids run across the hallway from one side to the other as the rebels and troopers battle it out. Watch what happens. just as the wall explodes behind threepio the explosion seems to knock the crouching stormtrooper off his feet and he quickly looks for his weapon and finds it.

4. after r2 drops his third leg upon recieving the deathstar plans from Leia, watch closely. if the camera hadn't cut away, r2 would have crashed his right leg into the wall.

5. the first close up you see of threepio's chest after they are walking away from the pod, you will notice 3 dark oil streaks running down his "nipples". two are running off on oneside and one on the other.

These same streaks are reversed when you see him close up again as he says" That little twerp! it's all his fault"
They must have reversed the film.

5a. As threepio is marching off alone into the desert, away from r2, look at the sand mound in front of him as he turns and says" I'm not going that way"
You'll notice a couple things about that sand mound.
First, as he is walking towards THE WALL of painted sand, you can see a BLACK SPOT on the wall near the center of the screen. Also the top of the sand dune has a darker section on the left side of the screen and it's near a white streak of clouds.

This same wall, BLACK SPOT, darker section of sand and cloud are reversed in the scene as threepio is walking towards the camera after several hours spent walking in the desert. This I believe is also the first time his chest streaks get reversed too.

6. As artoo is going through the valley in the next scene, you'll see him from behind as he rides on a smooth, "paved " section
that is about to run out 10ft ahead of him. Then it cuts and he is still on a paved road that isn't ending.

Better yet. when a jawa knocks down a rock, watch artoo as he turns his head to look around. LOOK at his third leg. You can see something like a piece of cloth jiggling behind it as if an actor dressed as a jawa was standing behind artoo moving its head.

i'll be back with much more.

this is my favorite subject.

stillakid
08-31-2001, 12:25 AM
Anybody who has ever ridden in the back of a pick-up truck going at a leisurely 40 mph will understand this. It's always bothered me that in ROTJ our heroes, who are supposedly flying speederbikes at 200mph, feel very little wind in their faces. Take a look at their cloaks sort of wafting in the gentle breeze.

r2dee2
08-31-2001, 01:00 AM
In Empire, when Han and Leia are in the Carbon Freezing Chamber doing the "I Love, I know" scene, Han can be seen in his white shirt, then with his black vest, his white shirt again, his black vest and back to his white shirt before being lowered into the chamber.

Rollo Tomassi
08-31-2001, 09:54 AM
Clouds on Tatooine. If this was really a barren, moistureless environment, those big beautiful cumuli in the background wouldn't exist. It would have to rain some of the time...

And it's not a VEST Han is wearing...its a SHADOW!!!!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-31-2001, 07:00 PM
But Rollo, Tatooine is not "a barren, moistureless environment," or why else would Moisture Farmer be an occupation? And I think Lucas expected there to be no clouds; remember the storms that hit were the worst in years.

stillakid
08-31-2001, 10:02 PM
For further research into the arid conditions of a desert planet and moisture farming (not to mention the source for that worm-like skeleton in ANH), read DUNE, by Frank Herbert.

GNT
09-01-2001, 02:00 AM
ROTJ: In Jabba's palace when the guards take Luke (?) away,Lando follows then stops with a wall behind him apparently he hits his head and helmet moves. It might be widescreen only cause I can never see it?

r2dee2
09-01-2001, 04:41 AM
Rollo Tomassi, I beg to differ from you, but I'm sure in my version of the movie I just watched it was not a shadow, but his vest. I will look again to be doubly sure..... without a shadow of a doubt
:D

JediTricks
09-01-2001, 10:58 AM
Sorry R2, but Rollo is absolutely right, it's a lighting change from using a distant camera to using a close-up one, look at the seams of the shirt, the lack of vest collar, the thickness of the material (which leads to the difference in the way it moves), and the lack of multiple layers around the collar and shoulders. It's neither the Han signature vest, which wasn't even in Harrison Ford's wardrobe for ESB, nor is it the Hoth/Bespin jacket, which has a different shape, seams, and material. This is a common misconception about the scene, but why would Ford be wearing it just for the close-ups when it's not part of that film's "Han Solo" wardrobe? My theory is that the camera, when used for the close-up shots, blocks out most of the ambient lighting which, when mixed with a tight, soft spot on Ford's face, makes everything the camera isn't focused on appear extremely dark.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-01-2001, 11:59 AM
I notice that during the Sail Barge fight, Luke's lightsaber suddenly loses its cutting power and merely knocks people over.
Perhaps this is just after his hand gets shot, and the pain is still intense, so he just "kicks it" until his hand feels better. (Ouch ;) ).

The Han's Vest scene is about as unknown as Vader's Shadow on the pod in TPM, it seems.

Fulit
09-01-2001, 01:59 PM
What about in ANH when Luke sees Ben struck down, shoots the control panel, and the doors start to close, and you can see Vader walking towards the doors, and his lightsaber is white instead of red?

stillakid
09-01-2001, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos

Perhaps this is just after his hand gets shot, and the pain is still intense, so he just "kicks it" until his hand feels better. (Ouch ;) ).

I wish. It starts early on when he's still on the skiff.

Rollo Tomassi
09-02-2001, 04:52 PM
As far as Luke "knocking people over with his Lightsaber" Lightsabers are beams of light (or plasma depending on which theory you subscibe to)) only a few microns wide that cauterize the wounds they leave as they pass thru, there are no visible marks that identify a lightsaber attack. Therefore it would look like Luke was just knocking people over, when in fact he was sawing thru them like warm butter. So a better question would be how does Obi Wan cut off Pond baba's arm or halve Darth Maul in two?

Bel-Cam Jos
09-02-2001, 05:08 PM
Rollo, that's a good point. Luke gets a pretty good blow to Vader's shoulder in ESB, and it only makes sparks. I doubt Luke would have held back against him. Ponda and Maul spill a little blood, as does the wampa I believe, but Luke gets a cauterized wound. Hmm. Set your weapons on 'glancing blow!'

stillakid
09-02-2001, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
As far as Luke "knocking people over with his Lightsaber" Lightsabers are beams of light (or plasma depending on which theory you subscibe to)) only a few microns wide that cauterize the wounds they leave as they pass thru, there are no visible marks that identify a lightsaber attack. Therefore it would look like Luke was just knocking people over, when in fact he was sawing thru them like warm butter. So a better question would be how does Obi Wan cut off Pond baba's arm or halve Darth Maul in two?

True, in theory. But again they established what lightsabers can do early on in ANH. In ROTJ, Luke is very clearly just kind of knocking people over with his blade. Just like in TPM, the bloodshed would have been enormous in terms of body parts strewn about not to mention the added cost of SFX and makeup.

r2dee2
09-02-2001, 06:31 PM
Han Vest Error? (http://fan.starwars.com/ForumForce/vest.html)

Sliver FBI
09-02-2001, 08:27 PM
In ESB, when 3PO is about to be "recycled" by the Ugnauths, you can see the Camera men´s reflection on 3PO´s head.

Also, In ROTJ, when Luke jumps from one Speeder Bike to another, at the Speed those Bikes were going, shouldn´t he have stayed behing? Or did he perform an Ultra High Speed Jedi Jump!?

JediTricks
09-03-2001, 09:32 AM
R2, your pics actually show clues to how this could be a shadow and not the vest, look at HOW POWERFUL the spot on Han's face is, it's pointed from Harrison Ford's lower left, so it's shooting light up at Ford's left cheek, it's such a powerful and tight a spot that you cannot see most of the right side of his face. In fact, look at Han's right eye, you can't see almost any of it even pumping the image's brightness up real high, it's that cut off by just his NOSE! This spot illuminates the left collar, but look at the right one, only the absolute edge and inner section facing the spot appear to be anything but black. Now look at the left collar, see how much of the light it's catching and compare that to how much shadow it's casting on the neck - it's very dark and very close and very focused for that range.

Seeing these pics makes me even MORE confident of my theory.

Obi-Dan Kenobi
09-03-2001, 03:06 PM
Yeah, the pics show similar shadows on Leia, so if Han's wearing a vest that appears nowhere else in the movie then Leia would be wearing one, too. Definitely a shadow.

stillakid
09-03-2001, 03:11 PM
I think that there is shaky 8mm (film, not tape for you youngsters) footage taken from a grassy knoll that definitely shows that a magic vest hit Han, then Leia, then lodged itself into the side of the ship.:D

Obi-Dan Kenobi
09-03-2001, 11:00 PM
During the Endor battle in Jedi, right after Leia gets shot, Han bends down to help her and grabs some breastage in the process. Also, after our heroes leave the trash compactor in ANH, in the widescreen version you can see Leia adjusting her breasts.

I do notice things other than breasts, but they've already been covered.

Lobito
09-04-2001, 03:30 PM
In ANH when R2 is playing the "holo Leia message", u can see some objects in what seems to be a table. During the sequence u see less objects on the table.

stillakid
09-04-2001, 05:18 PM
Oh yeah, just remembered. After the rebels have escaped the Death Star in ANH, Han and Luke are having a guy talk in the cockpit of the Falcon. They're supposed to be in Hyperspace, but we see a nice blanket of stars instead.

Brave Sir Robin
09-05-2001, 01:56 PM
In ESB, one of the civillians evacuating cloud city is a man in orange PJs carrying an ice cream machine

r2dee2
09-05-2001, 06:23 PM
Well, I guess I will have to concede that the shadow wins. As JT and Thrawn, who didn't want to embarrass me by posting to the forum that I was mistaken, have pointed out; Han wasn't wearing a vest in Empire, so I guess I'm wrong. Ouch! I can take it:D

bigbarada
09-05-2001, 06:43 PM
This isn't exactly a mistake, just an unfortunate circumstance, and a VERY HARD one to spot. If you notice Vader's lightsaber hilt in ROTJ is totally different than the ANH and ESB versions. This is because someone stole the prop after ESB and ILM had to build an entirely new prop from scratch. If I can find a picture I'll post it.

bigbarada
09-05-2001, 06:52 PM
Here it is, the saber on top is the ANH and ESB version and the one on the bottom is the ROTJ version.

Lobito
09-05-2001, 06:59 PM
Hmmm....i like the older version better, now if we compare it to the ROTJ Luke saber...that one is even better than the original Darth saber.

stillakid
09-05-2001, 07:07 PM
Maybe somebody could make a custom "shadowized" Han figure...

HAN SOLO IN BESPIN FATIGUES!!! Now with Lighting Effects!

JediTricks
09-06-2001, 11:23 AM
I WIN! I WIN!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG!!! CONFESS!! CONFESS OR IT'S THE COMFY CHAIR FOR YOU!!!! :D Heh heh, just kidding R2, at least you now see "the light". ;)

I think it's funny that the ROTJ Luke stunt saber is the exact same stunt saber as the ANH Obi-Wan stunt saber, just modified to look more Luke's. This is why the Hasbro toy role-play Luke lightsaber has holes and wire designs that don't appear on the non-stunt Luke saber, because the stunt saber has a graflex band complete with the flippy switch.

Eternal Padawan
04-20-2002, 09:22 AM
In ESB, when Han and Leia are having a conversation on the Falcon after she set down for repairs on the "asteroid", Han is mouthing Leai's dialogue as she is saying it.

This is because Carrie was doped up at the time, and Harrison was coaching her thru it.

JediDan
04-21-2002, 10:33 AM
Yes.. How is it in ROTJ when the droids jump off Jabbas Barge they end up being picked up out of the sand about 1,000 ft away. Thats got to be a record long jump, even for a droid.

JEDIpartner
04-21-2002, 12:03 PM
...Artoo used his jets?

Anyhow... about Artoo- the negative for the last shot in the scene where Padme is cleaning him up on the Royal Starship has been flipped. All of Artoo's "stuff" is on the whong side of his face.

A "BoShek" type character is having a conversation with himself as he walks through Mos Espa.

DeadEye
04-21-2002, 01:23 PM
In TPM when Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan drop out of the ventilation shaft and into the hangar: the MTT closest to the 2 of them opens up and begins extending its droid rack. Then it cuts to Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan again and they talk for five seconds about stowing on separate ships or whatever. Then you can see the MTT again, and its rack is still extending from the last time you saw it--which means that the rack was motionless when Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were talking.

Eternal Padawan
04-22-2002, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr

A "BoShek" type character is having a conversation with himself as he walks through Mos Espa.

Heh. The Character (Jessan Mandu) was originally talking to another guy in a costume, but G. Lu felt the scene was too "busy" with both of them in there, so he digitally removed the other character altogether, leaving poor Jessan a permanently deranged fan talking to himself....poor guy..er...thing.

2-1B
04-19-2003, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
In ESB, when Han and Leia are having a conversation on the Falcon after she set down for repairs on the "asteroid", Han is mouthing Leai's dialogue as she is saying it.

This is because Carrie was doped up at the time, and Harrison was coaching her thru it.

WHAT? Really? Are you serious or did you just say that because it was 4-20 when you posted? :confused:

Seriously, this is the first I've heard of that - I'll have to watch for it next time.

Did anyone else ever hear about that?

Someone mentioned Obi-Wan's TPM braid switching sides, it happened to Ani in AOTC as well. It's during the shot in the club when the camera follows him from behind as he searches for Zam. :)

scruffziller
04-19-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
WHAT? Really? Are you serious or did you just say that because it was 4-20 when you posted? :confused:

Did anyone else ever hear about that?

Yea I have read about it in books, in fact it was one of the few I did know.

Originally posted by Emperor Howdy
In TPM, some CGI wiseguy snuck in and added a horribly annoying talking lizard...actually giving him lines and a lot of screen time. Without a doubt the worst SW mistake ever.....

YEA!!!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

notafinga
04-19-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
The Han's Vest scene is about as unknown as Vader's Shadow on the pod in TPM, it seems.

eh? :confused:

Also, In ROTJ, when Luke jumps from one Speeder Bike to another, at the Speed those Bikes were going, shouldn´t he have stayed behing? Or did he perform an Ultra High Speed Jedi Jump!?

Discounting wind resistance, Luke should be traveling at the same speed as the bike, so a lateral jump to the other speeder is more than plausable.
I have forgotten the physics term:confused:

scruffziller
04-20-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by notafinga

I have forgotten the physics term:confused:

That would be inertia.

derek
04-20-2003, 12:47 PM
when leia and wickett are sitting on the log in the endor forrest, look at leia's legs. in a few scenes she is not wearing her tall black boots.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-20-2003, 01:10 PM

IT'S THERE, IT'S THERE! I couldn't beleive, I have NEVER heard of that before and sure enough, it's there, subtle, but there! Thanks Eternal Padawan for pointing that one out, I was laughing SO hard! :D

It's the line she says while sitting in his lap "Captain, being held by you isn't quite enough to get me excited!"

COOL! :cool:

jeddah
04-22-2003, 05:55 AM
R2's dome panels are frquently reversed throughout all the films due to mirror imaging. Don Bies told us (the R2 Builders) why this was, using the Padmé and Jar Jar scene on the Royal Starship (where she is cleaning R2) in TPM as an example but I can't remember what he said; apparently it is a common decision that is made thoughout films so I know it does not fall into the 'mistake' category.

And as far as the R5 D4 when Lobito said, (and Bel Cam's subsequent confusion) ;

For example, in ANH Special edition, when R5-D4 explodes they decide to take R2. As soon as they get R2, u can see R5-D4 again. How is that supposed to happen if R5-D4 had just exploded????

I think what he was trying to say was that when you see R2, R5-D4 is back in the line as if nothing had happened, not that he was blown to smithereens. It is a continuity error :)

I didn't know half of these errors. I am glad I have short term memory issues :D

jeddah

JediTricks
04-22-2003, 06:55 PM
Jeddah, don't forget to mention they show R5 blowing up, then he's next to R2 in line like nothing happened, then they cut to R5 being wheeled away from where he blew up! :D

so he digitally removed the other character altogether, leaving poor Jessan a permanently deranged fan talking to himself....poor guy..er...thing. No no, Lucas just wanted Tatooine to be more like modern life, so Jessan is on his cell phone's ear bud. ;)

LusiferSam
04-23-2003, 12:42 AM
Nobody has mentioned Admiral Piett's rank jumping sides at the end of EBS.
I''ve heard, but never seen, that one of the stormtrooper has a smily face on his helmet in ROTJ when the Emperor arrives.

notafinga
04-23-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Jeddah, don't forget to mention they show R5 blowing up, then he's next to R2 in line like nothing happened, then they cut to R5 being wheeled away from where he blew up! :D

c'mon guys, everybody knows that there are two R5 units in that lineup. The second one was offscreen heading for the empty slot after the first one was selected.

Quit trying to pick the movies apart. They are absolutely flaweless.:crazed: :D

Exhaust Port
04-24-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by scruffziller
That would be inertia.

err, momentum I believe.

LusiferSam
04-24-2003, 01:40 AM
Oh boy don't get me started on the physics of these movies (I'm a physicist). I like them too much to do that to them.

stillakid
04-24-2003, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by notafinga
c'mon guys, everybody knows that there are two R5 units in that lineup. The second one was offscreen heading for the empty slot after the first one was selected.

Quit trying to pick the movies apart. They are absolutely flaweless.:crazed: :D

I mistook you for MiniRock for a moment. Sorry 'bout that. ;)