PDA

View Full Version : Darth Maul fighting Obi-wan

dirtybones
03-29-2002, 12:39 PM
Do you think that the fight was to short or was it done in the right amount of time that a fight would last between two hot heads like those two? I would have had those guy's hacken at each other all over that room!:evil:

icatch9
03-29-2002, 01:17 PM
Movie wise it was the right amount of time. The general audience wouldn't want to watch the same thing over and over again. Star Wars freaks could have watched a whole movie of saber duals. This might be a realistic thought. I mean in the "real" Star Wars universe, I am sure that two highly trainned Jedi's or Siths could fight for hours. If their craft is perfected and thier minds quiet, then niether would make a mistake. Thus, they could fight for a very long time.

SithDroid
03-29-2002, 03:11 PM
The lightsaber battle in TPM was the highlight of the film for me. I could have watched more of the duel between the two of them. However, I think that it was a good length for the film. I hope the lightsaber duels in EP II can live up to the one in TPM. It is sure going to be hard to replace Ray Park.

JediTricks
04-03-2002, 12:23 AM
To each his or her own, but I would NOT want to see more of the Ep1 saber duels, I thought they were kinda lame in SW context.

Wolfwood319
04-03-2002, 12:47 AM
The saber duel was definately one of my favorite parts. Its the way I always thought Jedi would fight, more martial arts-esque and acrobatic, just like in TPM.

My complaint was that there was 4 battles going on at one time at the end, and I don't think any were developed very well altogether, but if they were, the ending would be 20 minutes longer.

187-Maul
04-03-2002, 08:10 AM
I don't like that :4 different battles" ending
each battle starts, than at one point it seems like they're gonna loose (ani's fighter dosn't work, gungans caught, qui dead, amidala caught by Rune and Nute) and then they al win - kinda lame

butg the lightsaber sequences are still cool

Lone Jedi
04-17-2002, 10:27 PM
I've actually grown accustomed to the concurrent battle theme. It happened in ROTJ (space battle, land battle, and saber duel) and it's likely to happen again in AOTC. As for the synchrony of events, I think it's kinda cool. When all the good guys are down, it builds suspense (unless you're a spoiler junkie who knows what to expect before seeing it), even though we know they'll eventually win in the end.

As for the saber duel, it's about the right length. Even though it's a Jedi-Sith battle, two individuals will get tired after a good minute or so. The only thing I don't like about the duel is how Maul wasn't sliced while Obi-wan was in midair from his jump. It happens in the comic this way, and makes it more believable since Maul would have less time to react.

chewie
04-17-2002, 10:42 PM
Most of the time, acts of violence are over with very quickly. One good shot or stab will do anybody in. With two highly skilled force users fighting, the length of the fight seemed fine to me.

187-Maul
04-18-2002, 07:54 AM
I too liked the ending in the comic more where maul gets sliced IN obi-wans jump - maul is such a cool character and I don't like the slow and dumb reaction: just standing there and watching stupid how obi jumps, lands and slices
it's kinda like boba fett, everybody (atleast most) likes him cause he's cool and then he dies in a stupid way - but I don't care I still love them both
maul even is my favorite SW character (I mean all SW, not only E1)

Darkross
04-19-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by 187-Maul
I don't like that :4 different battles" ending
each battle starts, than at one point it seems like they're gonna loose (ani's fighter dosn't work, gungans caught, qui dead, amidala caught by Rune and Nute) and then they al win - kinda lame

butg the lightsaber sequences are still cool

I agree...I don't like the four battles....considering the space battle had the shortest screen time and was very lame the way Anakin accidently destroyed the control ship. Amidala and party...was also a very lame battle...(I can't get past that stupid noise they used for her pistol). What happened to the cool blaster noise from Han Solo's pistol, or the stormtrooper's blasters? As far as the land battle is concerned...well it was really dumb how JarJar always accidently blasted droids etc... The whole scene where the droids were marching up to the Gungan shield was tacky and when the laser bolts were being deflected as the droids got closer to the gungans looked really fake!

As someone else mentioned...the lightsaber duels were the highlight of the film for me.

Lightsaber duel was too short for me. I would have like to see a longer sequence between Obi-Wan and Maul...one where Maul and Obi-Wan reached a stale mate after a lenghy duel. Then continue to fight again with Obi-Wan winning, rather then him slice Maul in half. I did like the part where Obi-Wan slices Maul's lightstaff in half...and Maul is caught off-guard. I hope that the lightsaber duels in EII are much longer.

DarthBrandon
05-07-2002, 06:41 PM
TPM was O.K. but i didn't like the four battles, I thought the Lightsaber duel between Obi and Darth Maul was very entertaining like young Jedi's should be.

DeadEye
05-07-2002, 08:08 PM
Yes. It was easily the best part of the movie...and it'll be put to shame by the duels in Episode 2. :D