PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone British in Outer Space?

icatch9
03-29-2002, 01:31 PM
You ever notice that everyone in the Star Wars Universe talks with a British accent? Think about it. Everyone from Grand Moff Tarkin to Alie Teem (the Ree Yees senator from TPM). I know the real world reason is that Lucas likes filming in England, and thus the actors speak with an accent. Why then in the Star Wars universe does everyone talk this way?

SithDroid
03-29-2002, 03:26 PM
I like the English accents. English accents IMO sound great on screen. It is almost as if the accent sounds more sophisticated than lets say a NY or Jersey accent. Plus not everyone had English acccents. Lando, Leia, Han, Luke, and Darth Vader all have American accents since they were the American actors in the films. Plus in a galaxy full of individuals from different planets, you are bound to have a difference in accents. No one ever seems to notice that Queen Amidala's voice is much deeper when she is the Queen and much higher when she is Padme. Although I can't see how the high pitched Hayden Chrisitansen is supposed to turn into the booming bass voice of James Earl Jones. That is horrible casting right there. Plus Anakin has a Swedish mother and he has an American accent. Does any of this make sense? No. Anakin should have a Swedish/English accent if he was indeed raised by Shmi. It is highly likely that he would have developed the same speech pattern as her. I tend not to let the difference in the accents bother me because it is, after all, a diverse universe. However, I would have liked to have seen Anakin have a different dialect. He sounds too American in TPM and in the AOTC previews. I hope Haydens performance doesn't let me down.

Lman316
03-29-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by SithDroid
Although I can't see how the high pitched Hayden Chrisitansen is supposed to turn into the booming bass voice of James Earl Jones. That is horrible casting right there.

Last I knew, the reason Vader had that voice was because of the respirator that he was using. Because Sebastian Shaw didn't have a really deep voice either when the helmet was taken off in ROTJ.

SithDroid
03-29-2002, 03:41 PM
True, but his was a lot deeper than Haydens.

SithDroid
03-29-2002, 03:41 PM
Plus Sebastian Shaw is English and had an accent. Where is the logic in all of this? I do not know.

icatch9
03-29-2002, 04:05 PM
Well if you listen closely to Leia she does have a bit of an accent. See she lived in England for a long while befor the filming of SW, she loses it by ESB, and ROTJ. I know none of it makes since, that is why I was asking. It is funny how Grand Moff Tarkin who is probally from Corrillia or Naboo or something has a similar accent as a 3 eyed creature from Malistare. I don't even have the same accent as people from my home state, and I have lived hear my whole life. Yes, a british accent sounds better on screene. I can't imagin Tarkin saying "Evacuate in our moment of Triumph. Forgetabout it."

Pendo
03-30-2002, 09:38 AM
Alot of people in Return Of The Jedi have American Accents, also it looks like alot of people in Epiosde II are going to have Australian Accents.

PENDO!

jedi_uk73
03-30-2002, 11:46 AM
I agree that alot the the voices in E2 will be Austrailan. It adds a bit of variety to a film.

You still can't beat a good English accent though, they always sound good on the big screen.

Unfortunately the great SW voices are no longer with us, Sir Alec, Mr Cushing and Mr Shaw have all become part of the force.

Well that's my 2 bobs worth anyway...

notafinga
04-01-2002, 03:29 AM
It seems that at least in the other films, an effect was thrown on the voices of the aliens to make them sound different than humans due to physilogical make up or whatever. It's not the British accent the senator from Malistar displayed that bothered me, it was the clarity. There's no way that three eyed creature like the one snorting, slobbering and growling in Jabba's palace would sound so Cushing. senator or not.

ummmm, then again...

TeeEye7
04-02-2002, 07:40 AM
When the Brits' empire on Earth shrank and could not boast that "the sun never set" on it, they made it out to space before the Russians and the Americans and colonized the galaxy. They never told anyone because it's bad form to brag! ;)

Hence the galactic English accent!:p

.....and jargo really is the emperor of it all!!!! :eek:

JEDIpartner
04-02-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by SithDroid
Plus Anakin has a Swedish mother and he has an American accent. Does any of this make sense? No. Anakin should have a Swedish/English accent if he was indeed raised by Shmi.

Uhhh... My mother is from Japan and I don't have a Japanese accent-- at ALL!

JediTricks
04-03-2002, 12:50 AM
I think the real reason is because Lucas didn't film with the Hollywood unions, so he had to film outside the country and at the time, the next-biggest english-speaking film industry was in England.

icatch9
04-03-2002, 10:17 AM
Yes, yes, yes I know all the reasons why Lucas uses British actors. But it's not as if England is off the coast of Tatooine. I still don't have a good reason why in the "Star Wars" universe these different aliens speak with british accents. I don't want to know about actors. I want to know about characters.

JEDIpartner
04-03-2002, 11:39 AM
British accents don't sound "contrived" or "cheesy". I'll go with that one!

JediTricks
04-04-2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by icatch9
Yes, yes, yes I know all the reasons why Lucas uses British actors. But it's not as if England is off the coast of Tatooine. I still don't have a good reason why in the "Star Wars" universe these different aliens speak with british accents. I don't want to know about actors. I want to know about characters. What SW aliens talk with a british accent?

Anyway, it seems like the SW universe has more "refinement" the closer you get towards the galactic core. Senators and others on Coruscant who speak Basic and live on Coruscant are probably immersed in the accent so long that they assimilate the accent. You'll notice that on the Outer Rim planet of Tatooine, there aren't so many british accents and Tatooine is seen as less refined.

RooJay
04-12-2002, 08:14 PM
My theory is this: Anakin's accent differed from his mother's because he spent more time exposed to people with wider varying accents (after all, what is an american accent but the sum total of the accents of all it's early immigrants corrupted and melded together over time.). I know plenty of people who don't share their parents' accent. Maybe this is how the "american" type accent has developed in the Star Wars galaxy. The "british" type accents could feasibly indicate that the speaker has spent much of their time on worlds and around people for whom this type of accent is more common. I like to think that as Vader, Anakin's voice is altered and mechanically modulated by the respirator he wears, and that he also enhances his voice through the Force to give it more resonance. Also, I always thought that ames Earl Jones used a slight british accent as Vader (not to mention the accent of Sebastian Shaw), and maybe Anakin picked up a bit of this accent due to his constant exposure over the years to the british accented imperials and the Emperor.

Darth Nihilus
04-30-2002, 11:55 AM
Actually you will hear a mix of accents in Ep2 - Temeura Morrison who plays Jango Fett is a New Zealand Maori and his Kiwi accent is distinguishable in the trailer. Jay La'gaia(sp), whilst having lived and worked in Australia still has a fairly thick accent (Captain Typho, also a New Zealander). Owen and Beru Lars are played by Aussies, as is Zam Wessell. I think Rena Owen is also in the film, she's another New Zealander. Incidentally her and Temeura Morrison played husband and wife in the NZ movie Once Were Warriors.

icatch9
04-30-2002, 12:09 PM
It sounds very worldly, but still an aussie acent is still similar to a brithish accent (I mean no insult, but to Americans it's similar). I just don't hear any Canadian, or French, or Hispanic accents (and Jimi Smits doesn't count). I just found it all very interesting. There is no good reason, that's just the way it is.

187-Maul
04-30-2002, 02:36 PM
you should have seen the E1 german version and translated
nute gunreay and rune haako had a VERY strong french accent...it sounded awful

Darth Nihilus
05-01-2002, 08:32 AM
That's interesting - I always thought that Aussie accents sounded terrible in US films (I am an Aussie). Though that's nothing compared to how awful Kiwi accents sound.

Pendo
05-02-2002, 03:00 PM
I think we should have some Scouse accents in Star Wars. Some of you probably doesn't know what I mean by a scouse accent (EMPEROR JARGO should)! Scouse is the regional accent of Liverpool.

I can just see it now:
"Calm down, Vader, clam down!" :)

PENDO!

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
05-11-2002, 10:15 PM
Anyone notice Queen Amidala had a sort of British accent in the beginning of TPM? By the end, she's all American accented.

Exhaust Port
06-05-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Pendo
Alot of people in Return Of The Jedi have American Accents

We have accents? :D

billfremore
06-05-2002, 10:34 AM
How come british people aren't offended by being portrayed as evil in the Star Wars films? ;)

I guess we're just comfortable hearing certain accents on movie villians.

So I guess if the neimoidians had German accents nobody would had said a thing, hmmm? ;) :D

icatch9
06-05-2002, 10:49 AM
I agree I think if any of the bad guys in the movie had any other accent people would have a hay day insulting it. I don't know why folks are alright with a Brit playing a sinister character. I guess the British are understanding of the fact that a bad guy has to sound like something, and they realize that just becasue Tarkin and other Imperial agents sound British doesn't mean that all of Great Britin is evil.

icatch9
06-05-2002, 10:55 AM
I started this thread a long time ago because I found it funny how the senator from Malisate (the 3 eyed Ree Yees guy) talked with a very sound British Accent. There is no good reason other than the fact that that guy could have spent a lot of time learning basic and learned from a person with a British accent. It would be the same if an American moved to England, after a while he or she would loose the American Accent (if there is such a thing:)).

Now a different Senator from Malistar talks in AOTC and he speaks one of the strangest languages in the movie. What in the world happened? Talk about continuity :)

RooJay
06-06-2002, 03:47 PM
Maybe he never spent any time learning basic. Or maybe he just prefers to speak in his native tongue.