PDA

View Full Version : Was Aniken the only way?

icatch9
03-29-2002, 12:35 PM
In the movie it seemed that Aniken was the only way to get the parts they needed to fix the ship. Is this realy true? Sure they were broke and didn't have anything to barder with, but they did have those republic credits. Worthless? I don't thin so. See Qui-Gon could of went to another junk dealer an used his Jedi mind trick to buy a bunch of stuff with his credits. Then took that stuff and traded it to Watto for the parts they needed. Problem solved. An the universe is saved. Right?

SithDroid
03-29-2002, 02:35 PM
Yes. I have tackled this topic in another thread as well. Also originally Uncle Owen used to be Obi-Wans brother before Lucas decided to change it for AOTC. So if we go by that info, then Obi-Wan could have said, "Hey my brother lives here. Let's go ask him for help." Problem solved right there. However since this got changed that solution is no longer possible, but by doing that Lucas created a whole other problem that I don't want to get into right now. Qui-Gon could have easily went to another dealer, do a mind trick on him, and possibly get an exchange of the money into different currency. The possibilities are endless, but instead Qui-Gon went the long way by using Anakin. What I have always wondered though is that if Tatooine is on the outer rim and is supposed to be far away from the presence of the Republic/Empire, then how come it always seems to be conveniently where everything ends up happening? Tatooine just happened to be the closest planet for them to go to in TPM? Give me a break. They would have had to have gone way out of their way to get there. Boy for a planet being the farthest from the bright center of the universe, it sure does seem like the center.:rolleyes:

icatch9
03-29-2002, 02:51 PM
A couple of nice points sithdroid. First of all that is Luke's interpitation of the Planet. I am from a pretty good size town, but most of the kids who live there complain that there is nothing to do. Same thing Luke is doing. Another thing is that Lucas is makeing Tatooine the fulcrum of the Star Wars Universe on purpose. To signify his point that you or a town or a planet does not have to be the biggest or the strongest to make a difference. There is a map of the planets in the Star Wars Universe floating around in books and on the net. If we can take this for the truth, then Naboo and Tatooine are not that far away, so it was the best location. Besides where else are they going to stumble upon Anakin? Hoth? Endor? It just makes better since, even though it is a bit predictable. GL says these moveis aren't complicated.

Where was it said the Owen Lars was Ob-Wan Kenob's brother? Never in the movies was this mentioned. If it was not in the movie then it is not true (as far as the stroy is concerened).

SithDroid
03-29-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
There is a map of the planets in the Star Wars Universe floating around in books and on the net. If we can take this for the truth, then Naboo and Tatooine are not that far away, so it was the best location. Besides where else are they going to stumble upon Anakin? Hoth? Endor? It just makes better since, even though it is a bit predictable. GL says these moveis aren't complicated.

Where was it said the Owen Lars was Ob-Wan Kenob's brother? Never in the movies was this mentioned. If it was not in the movie then it is not true (as far as the stroy is concerened).

I've seen the map you are refering to and it only lists the planets that are mentioned in the films. If you take into account all of the EU then there is certainly a planet that is closer than Tatooine. Plus there are tons of planets that ARE mentioned by name, but are never visited such as Malastare, Kashayyk, Corellia, etc... not to mention all the UNKNOWN planets that are represented by the Senate on Coruscant.

The Owen Lars as Obi-Wan's brother was mentioned somewhere that I read a while ago. I can't remember where I read it, but you are right that it was never mentioned within the movies. I believe it was written somewhere in one of those books like the Art of SW, or Characters of the SW Universe or something like that. Surely someone here knows where it was writtien down at. JarJarBinks, do you know?

icatch9
03-29-2002, 03:24 PM
Well as GL says the EU books are great, but hold no bearing on his movies. Your right there are a bunch of people in the senate, but again it just makes good sense. Predictable and simple, but good sense in good sense

2-1B
03-30-2002, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by SithDroid
Tatooine just happened to be the closest planet for them to go to in TPM? Give me a break. They would have had to have gone way out of their way to get there.

That was the point, Obi-Wan found a planet that was "out of the way" so they could elude the TF. :)

I think Watto was one of many who would not accept republic credits . . . if other people did accept them, then Watto would have a use for that currency as well.

The Owen/Obi-Wan thing is from the ROTJ novelization. :)

Rollo Tomassi
03-30-2002, 01:34 AM
How did they get there if they Hyperdrive was broken? Going the normal way would've taken, months..years.

"Republic Credits are no good here." and "I'm the only one with a Nubian J327 hyperdrive." suggested that they HAD to deal with Watto. The only problem I had was they convienently found the only dealer with the hyperdirve they needed on the first try. Maybe QuiGon could have bumped into Bo Shek who would have sent him in the right direction.;)

2-1B
03-31-2002, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
How did they get there if they Hyperdrive was broken? Going the normal way would've taken, months..years.

I'm not certain that this answers, but didn't Ric Olie say it was leaking and they didn't have enough power to get to Coruscant?
How far out of the way was Tatooine? Certainly closer than Coruscant?

Oh, or did he mean it was leaking and therefore they couldn't use the hyperdrive at all?

JediTricks
04-02-2002, 11:30 PM
As I see it, there's only one way to explain this in any even slightly satisfactory way: Qui-Gon could have gotten one of the other junk dealers to take his dataries (republic credits) and exchanged what he got from dealer-B with Watto for the hyperdrive, but Qui-Gon was following his self-interests instead of doing right by the suffering people of Naboo by going after Anakin.

Wolfwood319
04-02-2002, 11:43 PM
I always took to them not accepting Republic Credits in general on Tatooine. Just as Shmi said "The republic doesn't exist out here." The Hutts controlled Tatooine, and most people on Tatooine are a bit seedy. So I would figure that most vendors in Mos Espa and on Tatooine don't accept Republic credits.

The fact that Watto was the only one with a Nubian Hyperdrive whatnot was just a convenience. All movies have slight conveniences like this to simplify things.

icatch9
04-03-2002, 09:21 AM
Yes, but Qui Gon could have used his Jedi mind trick to get what he wanted from another dealer. I think the only good answer is what Jedi Tricks said. Qui-Gon felt a trimmer in the force and knew that Anakin was speical. So, he had to deal directly with Watto to get the boy. He probally saw into the future, and knew that was the only way. Plus, it's a movie and stuff like that always works out. :)

187-Maul
04-03-2002, 01:21 PM
exacty what I was thinking, icatch9, it's just a movie and stuff like that has to happen to bent the story right

RooJay
04-12-2002, 07:23 PM
Let's not foget that Watto pointed out that he was the only dealer that had the parts they needed. Maybe he was just making it up as a bargaining ploy (although that would'nt have made much difference since Watto already knew they had nothing of value to him), but even so, Watto would lose out on a lot of business if he was the only dealer in town that didn't accept republic credits! That just doesn't fit in with his character.

JediTricks
04-13-2002, 01:59 PM
RooJay, Qui-Gon could simply have gone to another junk dealer that WAS susceptible to the powers of the Force and convince that junk dealer to let QGJ buy something of equal value for the republic dataries, then take that item of equal value back to Watto and trade.

RooJay
04-14-2002, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
RooJay, Qui-Gon could simply have gone to another junk dealer that WAS susceptible to the powers of the Force and convince that junk dealer to let QGJ buy something of equal value for the republic dataries, then take that item of equal value back to Watto and trade.

True...or he could've just overpowered Watto and taken what he needed by force, but then it would'nt be the same movie now would it?:p

JediTricks
04-14-2002, 10:58 PM
No, it would have been cooler! :D

El Chuxter
03-03-2011, 11:57 AM
The Owen/Obi-Wan thing is from the ROTJ novelization. :)
And it's WRONG!!!