PDA

View Full Version : The Queen Mother has died

SaeseeTiin
03-30-2002, 12:21 PM
Just thought I better announce it.
Sad day.
I admit I'm not a royalist, I believe we should get rid of the Royal Family, but it is sad still. Although she did live to a great age.

derek
03-30-2002, 12:41 PM
i mean this in all seriousness, but how can it be sad, the lady was over 100 years old? if anyone makes it past 70, in my opinion, it all bonus the rest of the way. now a 5 year old kid dying, that's what i call sad.

The Rubber Cat
03-30-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by derek
i mean this in all seriousness, but how can it be sad, the lady was over 100 years old? if anyone makes it past 70, in my opinion, it all bonus the rest of the way. now a 5 year old kid dying, that's what i call sad.

The Rubber Cat believes what derek is saying is that the Queen Mother led a full life and that should be celebrated and not mourned.

The Rubber Cat believes SaeseeTiin is saying that it is sad to think that yesterday she was here, and now she is gone, and death makes us a little more aware of our own mortality.

My condolences go out to the people of the United Kingdom, such as they are. (My condolences, not the people.)

4. a

Jargo
03-30-2002, 01:07 PM
So she's dead. And? Am i supposed to feel berieved or something? All the people she means something to thanks to her efforts during the second world war are either dead or nearly dead too so what's the Queen mother got to do with anything?
Oh yeah too bad that someone else died. Death aint pleasant but as Derek says, she was 101 and had a good innings. Jeez she smoked and drank like a trooper so it's amazing she lasted this long... Oh yeah she took our taxes to pay for her expensive private medical care. Hmmmmm. No doubt there'll be another annoying public bank holiday to signify a day of mourning. Who's mourning? not me. I'm just ****ed off every time i can't use the bank because the government announces that we all have to cowtow to some distant toffy nosed idiot who's out of touch with reality and condescend to visit the commoners every once in a blue moon. So what's so good about Royalty save for eating taxes and opening state hospitals? Nothing, that's what.

Ding dong the witch is dead. I call for a dissolution of the British ruling monarchy. They're a useless bunch of has beens. :mad:

chewie
03-30-2002, 01:27 PM
I definitely agree with derek. The reality of life is that everything eventually dies off. It really is only sad when someone/something does not get to experience life to its fullest. The queen mum got a full life + the bonus of being rich and famous. Never had to work, just show up and wave at people at events. She had a life of such ease & opulence that 99.9999% of the world's population will never experience. Not a tear shall I shed.

Pendo
03-30-2002, 02:14 PM
Being British, sort of, I thought I would feel a little more remorse than I do. Actualy to be honest I'm in a "who cares?" mood. I think it's probably because she is 101 years old, it was expected to happen soon. Anyway, I've won 11 because of it. Last year I put 10 on her dying within the next 5 years ;)!
WOW, i got a whole pound :):):D!

PENDO!

Emperor Howdy
03-30-2002, 02:39 PM
Well, I'll leave any judgement calls to the UK. I have absolutlely no idea what good or bad she did for the country, so I'll stay out of it. What I DO know....or ASSUME atleast, is that there are some mourning family members that should be respected.....or, then again......maybe not. Ya know what?.....I shouldn't even be in here. I'm leaving.

Here I go...........

No, for real, this time.......

On three:.....1.....2..............2 1/2................2 3/4...........3!!!!!

The Rubber Cat
03-30-2002, 02:56 PM
The Rubber Cat wishes to point out that several other people have died in the last few minutes. Condolences should go out to their families also because their grief is no less than that of the Queen Mother's. (Her family, not her grief). Hah ho! 10.

odb
03-30-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
So she's dead. And? Am i supposed to feel berieved or something? All the people she means something to thanks to her efforts during the second world war are either dead or nearly dead too so what's the Queen mother got to do with anything?
Oh yeah too bad that someone else died. Death aint pleasant but as Derek says, she was 101 and had a good innings. Jeez she smoked and drank like a trooper so it's amazing she lasted this long... Oh yeah she took our taxes to pay for her expensive private medical care. Hmmmmm. No doubt there'll be another annoying public bank holiday to signify a day of mourning. Who's mourning? not me. I'm just ****ed off every time i can't use the bank because the government announces that we all have to cowtow to some distant toffy nosed idiot who's out of touch with reality and condescend to visit the commoners every once in a blue moon. So what's so good about Royalty save for eating taxes and opening state hospitals? Nothing, that's what.

Ding dong the witch is dead. I call for a dissolution of the British ruling monarchy. They're a useless bunch of has beens. :mad:

I see someone really cares about her, good to see you have compassionate feelings about it.

Because the Queen Mother did nothing really, but help reinforce relation with France and the US before WWII, act as a figure head of morale in WWII, acted as a matriarch for 50 years for the royal family and armed forces. She was never the most modest and down to earth royal we've ever had that was not born with any title. Just because it was in the past doesn't make it any less important.

So when you get old and past it I think I'll complain about the expensive NHS treatment that you get and campaign to get you thrown out on rubbish heap as a useless has been.

So cut her some slack she's made more of an impact on British history than you will. In my view she is deserving of respect .

P.S.
Its not a state funeral so your beloved bank with be open as there's no bank holiday.

Jargo
03-30-2002, 04:56 PM
Don't you oppress me...!

chewie
03-30-2002, 05:03 PM
The queen mother would have never achieved any status as a peace maker had she been born a commoner. She was born into that position. That still doesn't change that fact that she was a figurehead who didn't have to do much but sit still for pictures.

Wolfwood319
03-30-2002, 05:48 PM
I never did get monarchies. When did it become standard that being born into a specific family made you more capable of ruling a country than someone else. I'm not saying any other particular form of government is any better, but it seems Britain's Prime Minster does more for Britain than the "Queen Mother" did before she died. That's just my observation though.

Its a shame when someone dies, but people die every day, that's life. No person is any better than anyone else, I don't care who your parents were.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-30-2002, 06:12 PM
Sometimes, it may be a good thing that someone who reaches that age, finally kicks the bucket. Let's face it, there are many unpleasantries that accompany life at that age. Among them are dementia, loss of bladder control, sponge baths, difficulty moving, broken hips, even the forcing of someone to live the rest of their lives in a place where the most frequent guests include EMTs and the undertaker (plus the odor that characterizes most of those places :dead: ) If I ever reach that age or that point in life, please put a couple of bullets into me and end it.

2-1B
03-31-2002, 12:26 AM
I mean no disrespect to the grieving or the deceased, and if I'm guilty of bad timing, I apologize. But I never thought too much of the royal family either. I don't like caste systems . . . that seems to be all that it is :confused:

jeddah
03-31-2002, 04:19 AM
I have to agree wholeheartedly with Jargo. My sympathies go to the Grim Reaper who must be knackered after the years of chasing her unsuccessfully...

Regardless of what she did in the past, since that time - from the reports of those who knew and worked for her - it is apparent that she became a divisive and nasty piece of work. Especially as far as Diana was concerned

Now the stories will start to filter through on BBC2 programmes, the diehard card carrying Royalists will hopefully begin to reassess their redundant opinion concerning the validity of a monarchy.

We need the monarchy like we need wars.

jeddah

2-1B
03-31-2002, 03:17 PM
she was 101 and had a good innings. Jeez she smoked and drank like a trooper so it's amazing she lasted this long...

Originally posted by jeddah
My sympathies go to the Grim Reaper who must be knackered after the years of chasing her unsuccessfully...

Wow, I feel guilty for laughing so hard during a thread about someone's demise :dead:

5 Star Thread:D

sith_killer_99
03-31-2002, 06:16 PM
WOW, are there really card carrying Royalists?

I myself am a tree hugging liberal, or is card carrying conserative. hehehe....just guess.;)

As for the Queen Mum. Well, she was a big part of WORLD History. As a Soldier I can appreciate ALL those who made an effort to end tyrany and oppression during WWII!

My grandfather fought in WWII!

It is always a bit sad, in some way, to see the ending of an era, let us not forget that we are talking about a woman who lived through America's Great Depression, 2 World Wars, The Lunar Landing, the League of Nations, the creation of United Nations, the invention of the computer, and the internet.

On the flip side, I am an American. I do not understand, nor will I ever understand the concept of a Royal Family. The closest thing we have are the Kennedy's (and they made their family fortune bootlegging). So I don't really have much room to talk one way or the other.

I have heard it said that she was a shrew of a woman who drank and smoked her whole life. Perhaps she kept the "commoners" oppressed! There must be SOME reason that Dianna's passing was bigger news and more sorely felt.

Perhaps she was an eliteist who hated Star Wars, in which case...good ridance.

In any case my condolences to the family.

Jargo
03-31-2002, 07:59 PM
I'm sure Liz and Phil will be happy to hear the nice comments of condolence from around the globe.

Um yeah, she did a great deal for morale during the war and worked as an ambassador for britain after Liz took the throne. An all expenses paid ligger of an ambassador. They said on the news that she spent money like it was going out of fashion. And who's money would that be. The tax payers money that the government paid her or the money she made out of betting on and racing thoroughbred horses. So how did she afford the horses in the first place if it wasn't with tax payers money?

She was the main reason behind the divorce of Charles and Diana. She instigated the ostracizing of Diana from the royal family and was the reason that Diana's royal title was stripped away. She was also the reason that Sarah Ferguson was treated so badly by the royals. Yeah pleasant little old granny Windsor was a right old witch behind the scenes. She kept the royals out of touch and out of date and stuck in a time warp when they should have been moving with the times. Diana was a breath of fresh air with her modern attitudes toward bringing up Prince William and Harry as normally as possible. Sadly now that Charles has charge of the boys they've slipped back into 'royal' mode somewhat and the old school monarchy attitudes may yet prevail into the next monarch when Willy takes over from Liz. I'd like to think that Willy can bring the royals into line with the twentieth century. It's be a start anyway. But they should distribute some of the wealth that just sits there festering. Do they really need so many staely homes and priceless works of art? Sell them and put the money back into the bloody country to ease the financial strife we face.

Oh yeah back to the point. I think the country repaid any dues long long ago. And like I said, the war vets are all but dead now. the country will always remember her contribution but there's absolutely no need to dwell on it. The war only lasted a few years and all this brouhaha over a few walkabout visits to the slums that got bombed out. Maybe if she'd worked in a munitions factory or been a mata hari spy or something then yes I'd be impressed. My grandmother worked at the aircraft factories helping to build the planes that flew over berlin and destroyed the german stronghold of hitler. I have far more respect for the civillians of the wartime era than some over privilidged over paid toff that swanned round in furs and diamonds while the rest of the British lived in bomb shelters and struggled to make a few measly rations last a week.

Emperor Howdy
03-31-2002, 11:30 PM
I wonder what will happen here when Bill Clinton dies? I think it would be a terrible loss to this country.

fleep-fleep...fleep-fleep...fleep-fleep...fleep-fleep...fleep-fleep...fleep-fleep...fleep-fleep...fleep-fleep...fleep-fleep...

What? Quiet, you pestering little insects! He was a great President!

fleep-fleep...fleep-fleep...fleep-fleep...fleep-fleep...fleep-fleep...fleep-fleep...fleep-fleep...fleep-fleep...fleep-fleep...

Stop that at once!! He did nothing anybody else wouldn't do!

Well....um......my dad can beat up your dad!!

Rrrrrrr....damn you!! Enough!!

GRRRRRR!!!! I LIKE TO DRESS LIKE A WOMAN!!!!

fleep-fleep...fleep-fleep...flee......???????...................
.................................................. .............................
.................................................. .............................

*wind blows*

Mandalorian Candidat
04-01-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Emperor Howdy
I wonder what will happen here when Bill Clinton dies?

The American flag at Hooter's will be flown at half-mast.:D

No, seriously folks. I have a legitimate question here. Why wasn't the Queen Mother the QUEEN before she died? If she was the mother of the present Queen, then why would she have been the Queen?

Man, all this talk makes me feel like listening to Freddy Mercury.

2-1B
04-01-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
No, seriously folks. I have a legitimate question here. Why wasn't the Queen Mother the QUEEN before she died? If she was the mother of the present Queen, then why would she have been the Queen?

Man, all this talk makes me feel like listening to Freddy Mercury.

. . . 'cause Queen Liz took Freddy's advice to "Tie Your Mother Down" . . .

sorry, lame joke :rolleyes:

Jargo
04-01-2002, 04:01 PM
Technically, she was Queen consort to king george when he ruled the country during the fourties because by dint of being married to a ruling monarch you get the big cheese title. Then georgie died and young Liz took over the family business so the Queen Mum was no longer a consort but became the Queen Mother to the ruling Queen. Now Old Liz is dead, When young Liz dies and Charlie boy abdicates (because he doesn't want to run the business), Willy will take over and Charlie boy will be the King Daddy.

2-1B
04-01-2002, 05:14 PM
Jargo, is it true that royals are not allowed to marry Catholics?

Jargo
04-01-2002, 06:22 PM
Sure is. Well the Queen is head of the church of England which is the toppermost of non Catholic churches there is. So ergo her entire firm cannot go within a mile of a Catholic or they simply implode. It is, it's true. :) I like Catholics personally. Their religion is good for a laugh. Catholics like to party from what I can gather. Which is not the case for the pent up repressed Church of England. My Mother had me christenred C of E and I curse her to this day for imposing a religion on me which i renounced when i was twelve BTW and haven't bothered with since. If anything I'm closer to a buddhist in outlook than anything although avarice doesn't sit well with the Dali Lama I hear. Guess i have to work at ridding my life of material posessions... But that would mean getting rid of the PC and not being able to talk to you guys. Buggar that!

Sorry, rambled off topic. Yes the Royals cannot consort with a Catholic in a romantic way or ever marry a Catholic. If they did they would be stripped of Royal title and benefits and income and ostracised by society to live like jackals in the sewers of old London town...... :)

sith_killer_99
04-01-2002, 07:51 PM
I've heard it said that Catholicism is quickly becoming the most persecuted religion world wide, right behind Judaism.

I really couldn't say, here in the United States we enjoy the freedom of choosing our religion, without fear of persecution.

Meanwhile the Jewish people have, at one time or another in history, been kicked out of or banned in EVERY country in Europe.

Ooops, now I'm getting off topic, back to the real reason I am posting my reply.

Did anyone see good 'ol Billy C. sticking his nose in the cameras again? :crazed: What an idiot! The man SOLD Presidential Pardons!!! Too bad Bin Lame-O didn't know about it, I'm sure he could have afforded one!

2-1B
04-01-2002, 09:16 PM
Catholics like to party from what I can gather.

:D A veteran of 12 years of Catholic education, I can guarantee that you are pretty accurate in that assessment :D

Thanks Jargo, I wasn't sure if it was still that way. I mean, I know some of their reasons, and it makes sense but I thought maybe they eliminated that ban over time. Did Charlie marry Camilla yet? Good thing she's not Catholic ;)

SWAFMAN
04-01-2002, 09:25 PM
...Charlie boy will be the King Daddy.

So, if Elizabeth the 1st was called the Queen "Mum" will Prince Charles some day become the King "Dud" ????

jeddah
04-05-2002, 04:41 AM
....it's a shame that the butt of this joke was Di, as she was the only Royal to ever bring any worthwhile to the current monarchy (from the outside, too!)

The Queen Mother arrived at the Pearly Gates at Heaven and was duly invited
in,as she hobbled though the Gates unaided by her sticks she bumped into
Princess Diana...
"Hello Granny, what a lovely surprise..." Diana said.
"Hello Diana, pleasure to see you up here... That's a lovely Halo you
have, what do you have to do get one of those" asks HM
Diana replies "Nothing you old Cow........ it's a f...... steering wheel

jeddah

vulcantouch
04-05-2002, 07:42 AM
i never got the whole World Luvs Di thing, to me she's the celine dion of royalty, i wish she'd retire for real already :D
stephanie of monaco, now there's My kinda royalty: odd, vulgar, clueless, instinctive & gorgeous :kiss: too bad we don't hear more about her here in the states, apparently she's Too blatantly self-involved, flaky or hedonistic for american media :rolleyes:

jeddah
04-05-2002, 08:05 AM
I bet you'd change your mind if you saw the kind of things she got up to before she was killed.

And quite what you see in that dried up old slapper is quite beyond me, she looks like a Duran Duran throwback :p

jeddah

np: Rio - Duran Duran

SWAFMAN
04-05-2002, 12:42 PM
great joke (or at least variation), Jeddah!

from VT:

...she's Too blatantly self-involved, flaky or hedonistic for american media.

WOW!!! Are we both talking about the same american media that brings Springer, FOX's marry a millionaire, temptation island, and other such shameless "exploitainment" into our living rooms? she must Really be something!

(and yes, i DID just create a new buzz-word. remember, you saw it here first.)

vulcantouch
04-08-2002, 02:30 PM
. . .and granted, like hbc, neve campbell or jennifer connelly her beauty's power is highly variable depending on camera angle, facial expression (she really should refrain from smiling like a squinty buster poindexter :p ) etc. but she's got the gift, and when everything's right, she projects a singular, riveting, poignant perfection, pure right down to the core of Planet Earth ("look now, look all arouuund. . . can you hear me nowwww") :kiss:

"I bet you'd change your mind"
-about bigbirdnose di? feel free to try me :)

interesting point swaf buzzy ;) but, all the examples you cite involve "15-minute fame" ordinary people, as opposed to royalty or long-term celebs, which i think american media holds to a "higher", uniquely american standard of puritan-determined "redeeming values". for example, mariah carey's narcissistic, untalented and vulgar, but she's been tolerated cuz she's ambitious & hard-working, which america admires nothing more than. (notice that when those virtues began to degrade her entire career was threatened.) stephanie's nature is too apparent, too unspinnable, for amerimedia to ever sell us on the notion that she's industrious or charitable. which means she's banished to eurotabloids, which don't impose such litmus tests :)
vt
np: fixx, "stand or fall"

jeddah
04-09-2002, 03:45 AM
"I bet you'd change your mind"

-about bigbirdnose di? feel free to try me

I'll wait for a spontaneous epiphany when you're into your fifites or sixties, you old hack :p ;)

jeddah

JEDIpartner
04-09-2002, 08:19 AM
see you in the next life...

Jargo
04-09-2002, 07:54 PM
Something struck me today, why do people stand vigil over the dead? it's not as if they're going anywhere is it? Dumb behavior. you stand vigil over the sick and dying in order to care for them but the dead - let 'em rot. Last night or the night before depending on your time zone, The Queen mum's grandchildren stood a vigil that lasted a whopping hour in total at the four corners of her coffin as she lay in state at Westminster chapel or wherever the hell they shoved her. Some opule4nt palace basement or something. Anyway, the TV showed the four grandkids stood thewre all somber and the public are filing past like it's a japanese fast food sushi bar or something. Totally bizarre. but then the grandkids joined the public after their ever so strenuous hour, and they file past too. And there's TV commentary on it all like it's a sports cast. pundits outside interviewing clueless idiots who come out with things like "Oh it's marvellous, there's a great atmosphere in the queue here, no dark moods. people are chatting and laughing and carrying on like normal" Normal? It's normal to act like ghoulish freaks and gawp at the dead is it? What is the world coming to when a civillised society breed the dumb freaks who queue for 24 hours to walk past the dead? I'm astounded at the new levels of freakishness the British have sunk to. heaven help us all if any of those freaks ever get into a position of power - oh no, Tony Blair already did didn't he..... Oh *********!!!!!

Wolfwood319
04-09-2002, 09:32 PM
"Expoitainment"!!! I like that. You should grab up a few copyrights for that one SWAFMAN, throw 'em on bumper stickers, and then watch the cash roll in.

On to the Queen Mum, I saw a little of the ceremony and whatnot on CNN, MSNBC, and the like a little this afternoon. Someone was doing commentary and talking about all the great things she did. I thought they were stretching when on of the earlier "feats" they mentioned was writing a letter during WWII...

Jargo
05-17-2002, 01:23 PM
Update: The Queen mum willed her estate to her eldest daughter who happens to be the Queen, who happens to be the richest woman in England. The estate is said to be worth 50,000,000 and the queen will pay no inheritance tax because she did a deal with the Government. Excuse me? A deal? The richest woman in the country and she pays no taxes on an inheritence of 50,000,000? I'm losing my mind or something because that's just the most disgusting thing I've heard in a long time. A very long time. There's growing poverty in the UK and the numbers of homeless wandering the streets is growing yearly. Communities are being ripped apart by crime and gang wars and this woman does a deal with the government to net herself 50,000,000? This woman who heads up our country as monarch that we are supposed to follow blindly and be in awe of? *@**&%$*@ that! How the **** are we supposed to look up to to a woman the bleeds the country dry and won't support her subjects? Vile disgusting malicious wheeling and dealing. Underhand and evil. Let them the frickin' royals eat cake and let them see how it feels to live in the real world. I'm so frickin' angry over this. I'm stuck for words to express how I feel right now.

Depose the Queen and the royal family. That's the only answer. Strip them of their wealth and their properties and their land and their treasures. Frickin' let them live on a housing estate with the common people and see how long they retain the respect they demand right now. Frickin' evil frickers! :mad:

Pendo
05-17-2002, 05:06 PM
I'm sure the Queen's mother would have liked to have watched Attack of the Clones, but it's a shame she died before she got the chance to see it. May the force be with you, Mrs. Queen's Mum...

:cry:

PENDO!