PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Outcast Question

Buffer72
03-30-2002, 08:55 PM
I am interested in purchasing the new Jedi Outcast game, but I am unsure if my computer will work with it.

According to the system specs, to play Jedi Outcast, you need:

a pentium II or celeron 350mhz computer
64 megs of ram
16 bit sound card

16 MEG VIDEO CARD???????

WHAT??

I have a 1 year old computer with an 8 meg S3 Inc. Savage/IX w/ MV and I am running the latest directx drivers...

Can I play this game or what?? And why on earth would I have a pentium II processor and a 16 meg video card???

DeadEye
03-30-2002, 09:01 PM
Many games for almost a year now have required 16MB video cards....

You need to upgrade. Get a GeForce 3 or 4.

Buffer72
03-30-2002, 10:08 PM
Tough to change the video card of a notebook computer.

Oh well. I guess I'll pay Jedi Knight a few dozen more times...

Wolfwood319
03-30-2002, 10:14 PM
Yeah, most games need the higer ups now. I picked up a Radeon 32m card for $100 about a 4 months ago. Not the best out there right now, but it gets the job done.

I'm running the game right now on the following specs:
1.5g Athalon
256 Ram
32 meg Radeon
16 sound blaster

It runs completely smooth, my friend is running with a little less processor and ram and it still runs perfectly.

Buffer72
03-30-2002, 10:30 PM
It just seems a little inconsistent, that's all. You need a minimum PENTIUM II processor??? a minimum 64 MEGS OF RAM??? Ok, just about every computer still functioning has those specs... Those were the minimum requirements for computer games four years ago.

But then you also need a 16 meg video card? HELLO?

How many computers with a pentium II processor and 64 Megs of RAM are sporting a 16 meg video card?

Meanwhile I've got 512 megs of memory, a processor that's over a gig, and because my laptop came with an 8 meg video card I can't play the game. That is disappointing.

derek
03-30-2002, 11:00 PM
wolfwood or dead eye,

maybe one of you guys can help me out. i have a pentium 4, 1500mghz, with a ge force 2 32 mb.

i was thinking of getting a ge force 4, but was wondering if the graphics improvement is worth it. i notice a lot of jagged lines around the charactes edges. would a better video card smooth this out?

also, when i change the video settings to a higher resolution, the whole screen won't fit on my monitor. usually everything gets smaller when i increase the resolution. what is up with this?

Wolfwood319
03-30-2002, 11:14 PM
Well, I'd say for Outcast, you would notice the difference between a GF 2 to a GF4. But for most stuff it wouldn't matter. Personally, I'd hold off. Wait until about the end of summer, see where the technology is at then, and compare prices. You should be good until then. Also, how much ram are you using? It never hurts to have more RAM.

I'm not sure what could be causing the screen to shrink when you change settings. I know this happens when I play Warcraft III. You could just toggle with all your setting until you get a resolution and setting you want.

derek
03-30-2002, 11:31 PM
wolfwood,

thanks for the reply. i have 128 mb of ram. i'm gonna increase that to 512mb soon. i'll probably wait on the video card though.:)

DeadEye
03-31-2002, 07:38 AM
Derek,

Get a GeForce 3. That's what I have. It's fairly cheap now that the GF4 is out, and they're basically the same card (the difference is that the GF4 has an extra vertex shader, and an upped version of the nFiniteFX engine; but it doesn't matter, because there aren't any games that use these features anyway).

Anyone that has a GF3 won't NEED to upgrade for a long time, and the first card coming out that's actually a lot better is nVidia's next chip coming this fall, but it will not be called the GF5.

And with a program called NVmax, (www.nvmax.com), you can overclock your GF3's core and memory. But changing the core is dangerous, it can cause errors and COOK your card, but you can boost the memory way up.

The program GF3s and GF4s have is called ANTI ALIASING, it smooths out jagged edges but cuts your frame rates nearly in half. The best even a GF4 can do with AA on is about 50 FPS.

derek
03-31-2002, 08:19 AM
dead eye,

thanks for the advice.:)

DeadEye
03-31-2002, 10:48 AM
no problem ;)