PDA

View Full Version : AOTC score discussion....

jedibear
03-31-2002, 01:26 AM
....for those who've had a chance to hear it. For those who haven't and can't wait (like me) till the 23rd, it's pretty easy to find online. I won't post the links here though (don't want to do any copyright infringement stuff to SirSteves).

But I will make some comments (a few spoilers here) about the tracks that jump out at me at these first listens...

"Across the Stars"....the love theme, is wonderful. A bit of a hybrid of other lilting themes like Anakin's, Leia's & Han's. Much more sophisticated, though. It kinda sways into a light march partway through but ends on the sounds of a harp, gently. It reminds me more of something along the lines of a David Lean picture's music (& that's a compliment!). It's easy to visualize that pinic by the falls or that first kiss at the lake retreat listening to this. This theme also appears throughout the score.

"Zam the Assassin & the Coruscant Chase" ....is amazing. From the swooping sounds we'd expect with a high speed chase to an interesting percussion brake that reminded me of the music from "Crouching Tiger..." (again, this is a compliment!!). It's a long piece, about 12 minutes, and seeing that this is the "pop" release of the score it's hard to know yet if this music is ALL from the chase or parts cobbled together form other scenes from the film (as the intail release scores from Williams generally are), but as a piece it holds together well. Another interesting thing Williams does in this piece is throwing in a little electric guitar....a first for a SW score I think. I'm wondering if this is to sonically illustrate the "fast nightlife" of Coruscant....hope so! It's a novel twist....

"Yoda & the Younglings" is light and playful, bring to the fore the "Across..." theme again along with just a hint of Yoda's theme from ESB (if that doesn't put a smile on your face....). The piece ends with a quiet children's choir....maybe for when the kids are looking at the star maps with Yoda & Obi-Wan.....

Other familair themes from the past make quick little bows here ( a touch of the Federation music, the Imp March, Duel of the fates & even the swelling sunrise Force music) all to good effect woven with the new themes.

This is just to get the ball rolling, folks....what are your thoughts (if you've heard it yet)?

NesteaFett
03-31-2002, 02:11 AM
Sure have heard it. I'd just like to comment on one track in particular. The Confrontation with Dooku and Finale. When the Imp. March creeps in there and then just starts kicking it live, I got chills. I'm still wondering what's going on in that scene that's making the music of that nature to play.

chewie
03-31-2002, 02:37 AM
Could be the small scene of the Death Star in the hologram that starts it up.

Pendo
03-31-2002, 07:29 AM
I think the score is cool, ALOT better than TPM. Still not as good as the score for the classic trillogy but it's still really good! I'm not sure about the electric guitar though...

I like the fact that the Imperial March is back in the score, and Across the Stars is a great new theme. I think is shows the relationship between Anakin and Padmé in good detail.

PENDO!

Lord Tenebrous
03-31-2002, 10:46 AM
For your viewing analysis, two possible scene breakdowns to the Confrontation track:

Confrontation With Dooku
Saturday, Mar 30th 11:20pm GMT - by Ternian
Many of you are trying to work out what scenes are what in final track of the AotC soundtrack. I have listed the scenes as scripted below...

* Per requested, I have added Track Times for you - Ternian.

[Spoilers] highlight to read:

2m.51s}162 EXT. CORUSCANT, OLD TOWN – DAWN
- Dooku's sail ship glides through Coruscant.
3m01s}163 INT. CORUSCANT, SECRET LANDING PLATFORM - DAWN
- Dooku informs Sidious the Clone Wars have begun.

3m12s}164 EXT. CORUSCANT, JEDI TEMPLE - SUNSET
- Jedi Temple in afternoon sun

3m19s}165 INT. JEDI TEMPLE, COUNCIL CHAMBER - SUNSET
- "Begun the Clone Wars have" dialogue.

3m40s}166 EXT. NABOO LAKE RETREAT, LODGE, GARDEN - LATE DAY
- Wedding.

4m20s}167 EXT. CORUSCANT, MILITARY STAGING AREA, BALCONY - LATE DAY
- Palpatine and the Loyalists watch the Military staging area.

Dooku - Alternate Version
Sunday, Mar 31st 3:29am GMT - by Ternian
Well it appears that some of you believe that the Wedding is the last scene. I have re-ordered the scenes to see if that fits for you.

I personally have a problem with it since it makes the Jedi Temple scene drawn out and removes the threat of the soon-to-be Imperial Forces leaving. Anyway...

VERSION 2

[Spoilers] highlight to read:

2m51s}162 EXT. CORUSCANT, OLD TOWN – DAWN
- Dooku's sail ship glides through Coruscant.
3m02s}163 INT. CORUSCANT, SECRET LANDING PLATFORM - DAWN
- Dooku informs Sidious the Clone Wars have begun.

3m12s}167 EXT. CORUSCANT, MILITARY STAGING AREA, BALCONY - LATE DAY
- Palpatine and the Loyalists watch the Military staging area.

3m.40s}164 EXT. CORUSCANT, JEDI TEMPLE - SUNSET
- Jedi Temple in afternoon sun

------}165 INT. JEDI TEMPLE, COUNCIL CHAMBER - SUNSET
- "Begun the Clone Wars have" dialogue.

4m19s}166 EXT. NABOO LAKE RETREAT, LODGE, GARDEN - LATE DAY
- Wedding.

Lord Tenebrous
03-31-2002, 08:41 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/life/enter/movies/2002/2002-03-29-star-wars.htm

A music video, which blends elements of the new Star Wars "love theme" Across the Stars with dialogue and special-effects images not seen in the coming attractions trailer, will debut on MTV and VH1 April 16, Gelb says. Radio stations will get a preview audio version on April 8.

Prep those VCRs.

darth_dylan_2000
04-07-2002, 11:12 AM
Okay, i am sure most of you saw the link on the main page to go download the AOTC Soundtrack, i spent most of the night downloading it (on my slow 56k :frus:) but i finaly got all the songs, well all but one. First off did anyone else go out and download it? Second what do you think of it? And third does anyone have "Bounty Hunter’s Pursuit"? If so drop me an e-mail because its all i need to finish the album. Also while i was waiting for the downloads to finish i made an insert for my CD case using the images of the covers they have released already, the file is in Pubishler format. Hope yall like it
Darth Dylan

Magnolia-Fan
04-07-2002, 12:39 PM
You know, if we the fans dont BUY the soundtrack and PAY HIM FOR HIS HARD WORK, John Williams may be forced to make a financial decision NOT to do the music for Episode III.

Magnolia-Fan
04-07-2002, 12:40 PM
:Pirate: :Pirate: :Pirate: :Pirate: :Pirate:

jw_bryant
04-07-2002, 03:45 PM
uh...bull####?
jeez, you dont put astericks in here?

Magnolia-Fan
04-07-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by jw_bryant
uh...bull####?
jeez, you dont put astericks in here?

Bull? Perhaps.

Music pirating is still illegal though, and I dont think it would be wise to admit to doing it in a public forum.

Question to those who have downloaded the soundtrack:

Do you intend to buy a legitimate copy on 4/23/02?

Lord Tenebrous
04-07-2002, 04:35 PM
I'm probably going to get the Anakin/Padme cover.

Williams was already paid for his hard work. We're just feeding a greedy music industry when we buy the CD. If the CD is $13.99, Williams gets a little less than 0.04% of that.

And then there's the inevitable 'Ultimate Edition'. :greedy: :(

JEDIpartner
04-07-2002, 07:05 PM
But only to hear the a few of the tracks. I have no intention of keeping a second rate copy as Mr. Williams really worked hard on this score. I can't wait for the 23rd!! It's just around the corner.

I took a cue from the previous posts to hear the "highlight" tracks. I was very impressed with what I heard. It was, indeed, nice to hear the Imperial March. Nice thematic foreshadowing. I like it! I like it a lot!

:happy:

Magnolia-Fan
04-07-2002, 08:11 PM
I too have heard the soundtrack and I love it! I really want to buy a copy of it on 4/23.

However, I am wondering if. based on my experience with Episode 1, if I should wait for an "ultimate edition" to be released.

...but what the hell, I own like 3-4 different editions of each of the movies, so...

JediTricks
04-08-2002, 12:31 AM
I've had access to the soundtrack for over a week now (I didn't DL it though, you gotta be kidding with this 56k Earthlink trash dial up that I'd ever be able to pull that off) and while I don't dislike it anywhere near as much as I disliked Ep 1's soundtrack, it seems less like the inspired John Williams we've all come to know and love. There are some parts that really speak to me, like the so-called bonus track "On the Conveyor Belt" - which makes me think of an adventure through a Jawa Sandcrawler - but the parts that aren't recycled seem more like flat drama without the patented Williams life. "Across the Stars" sounds more like something you'd expect from a Dr Zhivago wannabe than SW, but I'm certainly no expert, so don't take my word as "the truth", I'm just telling it how I see it.

So to answer the question "will you buy the soundtrack", yes I will, but I didn't buy the Ep 1 "ultimate soundtrack" and if they release something like that for Ep 2, I'll avoid that like the plague as well (unless it's amazingly great or has super duper features or something that makes it stand out).

JEDIpartner
04-08-2002, 10:47 AM
I don't know why they don't just release them simultaneously. They release a full version and a "highlights" disc for a lot of the "huge" musicals that come out. Why not do the same for these films. I think it is utterly ridiculous to have to wait for the "full version"... although there'd better BE a full version of this around the corner or I will be sorely disappointed in Sony Classical.

Queen Katharine Leah
04-10-2002, 12:32 AM
Oh my gosh! I heard the whole thing today and loved it! Well, I didn't love every single piece, and wished there was more of the older themes woven in, but overall, I'm so psyched.

JediTricks, I can't believe you mentioned Doctor Zhivago, because I thought of it when I heard Across the Stars. But it isn't a hybrid of Ani's theme, as someone suggested.

Listen to it...

The genius John Williams has transposed the main Star Wars theme into Across the Stars. Just as Ani's theme was a light redirected form of the Imperial March, and Augie's theme was a parade version the Emperor's theme without the minor keys.

It amazes me. He probably finds it so easy to do that, yet I can't imagine his imense talent to do it. I haven't heard the other themes enough to figure what else has been transposed, but I have a feeling the Anakin & Padme theme is derivative of Leia's theme.

As good as Across the Stars is, I haven't yet found the one completely new theme which blows me away as Duel of the Fates did. I was disappointed how little Duel is mixed into the the tracks. (Though I loved the little slip in during the Tatooine return piece. Gee I wonder what Ani is doing there...)

Has anyone found other songs from the new soundtrack which are transposed? If so, let me know.

I will definitely buy an official copy in two weeks, despite the fact that I have it on my computer at work.

BTW, I took me over a minute to download Stars at work, and is 35 minutes on my Earthlink connection at home tonight. Uhh, I think I'll skip the rest of the tracks at home for the next few weeks...

QKL

Sidiously Darth
04-10-2002, 04:57 PM
SirSteve,

Could you please post the link for the EP 2 score again? (Or anyone else that may have it.) I've searched the archived news and I can't find it anymore. I want to get the cover art. Thanks!

Sidiously Darth
04-10-2002, 06:11 PM
Never mind! With a little diligence, I did find the link. Thanks anyway.:D

JediDan
05-14-2002, 07:21 PM
Am I alone or does anyone else think that there should be alot more of the classic SW music in the new films? You very rarely hear the force theme. Some of the new music is good but most of it very forgettable. I liked Dual of the Fates and I like the new Across the Stars Love theme, but thats about it. SW just doesn't feel like SW without it's classic themes. Whats your take on it??

DeadEye
05-14-2002, 08:13 PM
The Force theme is played more in AOTC than any other movie, man! There are at least four tracks that have it! "Return to Tatooine" is a verbatim copy of when Luke is looking at the twin suns! And of course, we have the beloved Imperial march. :cool:

JediTricks
05-15-2002, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by JediDan
Am I alone or does anyone else think that there should be alot more of the classic SW music in the new films? You very rarely hear the force theme. Some of the new music is good but most of it very forgettable. I liked Dual of the Fates and I like the new Across the Stars Love theme, but thats about it. SW just doesn't feel like SW without it's classic themes. Whats your take on it?? I really didn't like Ep 1's score, and of course I would like more classic themes (and not poorly weaved into prequel themes like E1's Anakin theme) but I'd take new stuff too if it just had a little more Star Warsy life to it.