PDA

View Full Version : About all these Wal-Mart Finds

NesteaFett
03-31-2002, 01:01 AM
Ok, I have a question. I've been following the trend with Wal-Mart and the "breaking of the street date" thingamajig. We sorta see how they did it with the preview figures coming out before the 16th in most areas. Hasbro didn't do anything (To my knowledge anyways). Now they're at it again releasing AOTC toys early. It started in CA, I think, and last time I checked it made it to Virginia much closer to my NC home. Does anybody know anything about Hasbro trying to stop it? I'm sure they've heard something by now. Is it possible they're just turning a blind eye. You'd think by now they'd start fining, as some of you have said, and that would encourage Wal-Mart to inform their employees to keep a look out. I don't know, I'm not wishing they would stop it, just curious. And if they do, do something I hope they wait until the figures get to my place. That's Greenville, NC for all of you. Ok, I'm done.

2-1B
03-31-2002, 01:31 AM
I wonder why HAsbro would care if they get out early? Lucasfilm, I understand because they like to control spoiler releases :p

But with Hasbro, I think they only care about selling these "toys" . . . so the sooner WM sells these the faster they will reorder more :confused:

sith pedagog
03-31-2002, 09:43 AM
Exactly, it's all about the benjamins right? I used to work for TRU and Wal-Mart. Hasbro could care less, the only way they say a word is if a competitor calls to complain. Fine? What fines could people be talking about. Rule number one in money making - don't **** off your number one salesman. Walmart reigns supreme in the world of Star Wars action figures. They sell more than anyone, maybe more than some its closest competitors combined. Hasbro simply loves Wal-mart and would never damage the relationship. Besides, when I was with Toys R Us and we had a video game on the shelf too early, a competitor complained and all they did was ASK us to put it in the back until the release date. They have nothing to lose.

NesteaFett
03-31-2002, 02:50 PM
Sounds like a plan. If they don't do anything then that just means I'll get the figures early. Don't have complaints there. Thanks for the input guys!:D

Jedi_Rainman
04-01-2002, 09:30 PM
I have posted this in other forums, but WM only cares about DVD and VHS releases b/c they can be fined. TOYS ARE EXCLUDED!!!

Darth Shinji
04-04-2002, 12:49 AM
I used to work for blockbuster and sam goody, (and now loews cineplex) and I know that dvd's vhs and cd's have a hard street date, meaning they can not be released before the set date. Video games have a soft street date, meaning as soon as you get, put it out. If the competition didn't have it yet, tough. We never recieved any toys at either location that had a street date attached, so I can't comment on the pre-release trend, but I'm not complaning, it helps spread out the money I'm going to spend on the 23rd.

:D

JediDan
04-04-2002, 08:14 PM
Now whats got me worried is that a few of my local Walmarts have put out 20 cases each of AOTC figs. They sold out right away, you think now that those 20 cases are now gone will they be selling any come 4/23????? I mean are their supplies gone now till May???

NesteaFett
04-04-2002, 08:21 PM
My Wal-Mart got in twenty cases but put out less than two pegs of them. They didn't last long and since then there is no sign of them. I think they realized there mistake and will have the rest of the figures on April 23rd. As mean as it sounds I don't care if they sell out. I already have my sets. Selfish, but deep inside, it's how we all feel. It's the darkside of the collecting force along with fear of not getting, the patience to resist til the 23, and the anger at scalpers and completionists who get them before you.

sith_killer_99
04-04-2002, 09:40 PM
Well, I don't plan on getting all of the figs on the 23rd.

I have the money for them, it's just that half of them do not impress me.

So I will wait for them to go on clearance in 10-14 months.

BTW, I am a completist.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-04-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
Well, I don't plan on getting all of the figs on the 23rd.

I have the money for them, it's just that half of them do not impress me.

So I will wait for them to go on clearance in 10-14 months.

BTW, I am a completist.

That is a smart strategy to take, however, I know I can't demonstrate the patience you will take.

My feelings when I walk into a store, and I see that I hit the jackpot is this. "I want them all now! Gimme, Gimme, Gimme!" :crazed:

jobare1
04-04-2002, 09:59 PM
"It's the darkside of the collecting force along with fear of not getting, the patience to resist til the 23, and the anger at scalpers and completionists who get them before you."

So are you saying that there is something wrong with being a completist. I am also a completist and for me to be placed in the same catagory as a scalper is insulting. I collect one of every figure, with the exception of the ones I really like and then I'll get two. But I don't go out and clean out the pegs when a new wave comes out and I'm sure that all the other completists out there do the same thing. Trust me, if I find the figures first and there's more than one on the peg, there will still be one there for the next guy.

NesteaFett
04-04-2002, 10:59 PM
I don't know, to be honest I'm a completist too. Definitely not in the same category as scalpers it was just that some people feel anger to both. I should replace it with army builders, which I am partially to a degree.