PDA

View Full Version : Akira redubbed

bigbarada
03-31-2002, 10:23 AM
First off, I apologize if this has already been brought up before; but with my new and improved "fast as molasses" dial-up connection, I don't feel like slogging through all of these threads looking for it.

Anyhoo, I recently bought the anime classic Akira on DVD. However, someone has been screwing with all my favorite films and this one seems to be the latest victim. Mainly, all the English language voices are completely different. Understandable since the cover did mention "New English Dialogue;" but what I wasn't prepared for was for the entire script of the movie to be rewritten. I don't think a single line from the original VHS release has survived onto this version!

Sooooo, my question is.......What the hell is going on? Is this a more accurate tranlation of the original Japanese dialogue or is Katsuhiro Otomo just the latest member of the Revisionist Revolution that has been molesting my childhood memories?

I feel like such a dirty trollip.:kiss:

Wolfwood319
03-31-2002, 10:04 PM
If you have the new Special Edition that came out last year, with Johnny Young Bosch as Kaneada, then yes, it is a new dub. It is for most accounts a better translation. I'm a dub and a sub fan, and I find the latest Akira release to be much better than the original release the states got. You can watch Akira in Japanese with English subtitles to see how accurate the dub is.

bigbarada
03-31-2002, 10:18 PM
Well, I guess I can accept that. As long as it is a more accurate translation I'll just have to get used to it.

Didn't Katsuhiro Otomo make another film, called Metropolis I think? Has anyone seen it? Is it any good?

JediTricks
04-02-2002, 10:02 PM
I totally can't stand the voice actors used for the new English dub, it seems to be most of the voice actors for every Saban cartoon here in the US on Fox Kids. The more accurate dialogue is an appreciated change for me, but the actors are not.

Wolfwood319
04-02-2002, 10:07 PM
Funny thing you should mention Saban, because Johnny Young Bosch, the voice of Kaneada in the new dub, was also the second Green Ranger in the early days of Saban's Power Rangers.

Wierd. :stupid: