PDA

View Full Version : Endor?

Cotasnoova
04-01-2002, 01:37 AM
Does anyone believe that the Empire would have truly lost that battle?

187-Maul
04-01-2002, 06:09 AM
I always thought about that and I don't think so
I mean the ewoks only through little ROCKS at the troopers and suddenly the troopers were K.O. - THEY HAD LASER BLASTERS those little ewoks would have all been fried if it hadn't been the last movie where the rebellion had to win

Rollo Tomassi
04-01-2002, 08:36 AM
Is that a question? It's like you recognized Endor at the supermarket and tapped him (it?) on the shoulder. Or maybe you are offering a guest some Endor to spread on their toast instead of jam. Or maybe somebody just said it, and you are in disbelief.

"Endor?"

"Uhh...yes. Endor." or "Nope. Sorry. Not Endor." I can't decide.

And by Endor(?) do you mean the battle on the surface or the battle in space? Or both?

Cotasnoova
04-01-2002, 10:21 AM
Um....the whole thing is known as the battle of/at Endor. I think it is pretty selfexplanitory. LOL

Bel-Cam Jos
04-01-2002, 11:03 AM
Well, the Death Star (a.k.a. IG-88 :p) was only good enough to destroy maybe 3 Rebel ships. The TIE waves weren't all that effective either, as it seemed they took heavier losses than Rebel X-, B-, Y-, or A-Wings. So, no, the Empire would've lost that portion.

On the forest moon, the Ewoks were quite out-weaponed and if the Imperials would have used heavy bombing and no mercy, the Rebellion would've failed miserably. So the Empire wins here.

Tied 1-1. But the tie breaker is conference record, and the Empire gets the nod, 14-10 to 9-15. Sorry, Rebels. :( :D

Cotasnoova
04-01-2002, 11:35 AM
For the space battle part. You fail to mention space being full of Star Destroyers. You think that the rebellions rag tag group of fighters and a few capital ships beat down all those Star Detroyers, I mean there were a lot of Star Destroyers.

browndroid
04-01-2002, 01:06 PM
that does sound kinda screwy, ewoks and rocks, vs stormtroopers and blasters...hmmmm

Rollo Tomassi
04-01-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Cotasnoova
For the space battle part. You fail to mention space being full of Star Destroyers. You think that the rebellions rag tag group of fighters and a few capital ships beat down all those Star Detroyers, I mean there were a lot of Star Destroyers.

PBBBBBT...All those Star Destroyers were EMPTY, man. That was, like, just a show for the rebels to get 'em all scared and stuff.

(I think some have them might have even been models that were blue screened in later...)

LTBasker
04-01-2002, 01:52 PM
Yeesh, I don't see how you can say the Stormtroopers could win against the Ewoks just because they had blasters, I mean Stormtroopers get knocked out in their own Death Star from low door frames. :p

Cotasnoova
04-01-2002, 02:01 PM
LOL good point Basker. LMAO!

One thing though, who ever said they had empty Star Destroyers or is that a joke? The Emperor called it the Fleet. Where did this supposed truth come by about empty vessels? I am just wondering because that would change my perspective on things.

El Chuxter
04-01-2002, 02:08 PM
The Star Destroyers don't attack because the Emperor, being a pompous sort, wants to take all credit for crushing the Rebellion with his Death Star. Lando comments on their inaction early on in the battle.

As for the Ewoks, it's a question of numbers. We only see the ones of Bright Tree Village, but we don't know how many other tribes are involved. Even a few could take out a small Imperial force if united in doing so. Sure, they weren't as advanced the Stormtroopers, but the Empire's overconfidence in their technological superiority led to their downfall--much as is the case with the first Death Star. Sticks vs guns? Battle of Little Big Horn ringing a bell with anyone else?

Cotasnoova
04-01-2002, 02:21 PM
So, you think that the Star Destroyers were just obeying the Emperor, and yes I know they were oredered to "hold here," so you think that they did not fight and just got pummeled and did not shoot back when they were engaged at "point blank range?" Or do you think that they fled instead of fought? I see it hard to believe that they just ran off. but maybe they did. I know what the Emperor ordered and I see your point, what I am saying is that I do not believe that all those ships were so easily defeated. Maybe so though, I culd easily be wrong. It is just that when I look at there stats in the old RPG d6 sysytem and the new d20 system, they are far far superior to the Mon Cal ships. Of course the Fleet lost Admiral Piett and the Rebs still had Ackbar in Command, but the star destroyers were just so much more powerful. It would seem that if they could been beat so easily there, they could be easily beat by the alliance all the time, and Thrawn would not have been able to do so much with only a handfull of them, and they would not be such a big help now to the New Republic versus the Vong.

Of course the Ewoks knew those woods backwards and fowards, and if a Stormtrooper got stug by a bee he would probably keel over. I like when they are being hit by rocks, and they are falling down and dying/passing out, with helmets on. Goes to show that all that armor was for squat. Maybe the Empire should have just trained Ewoks.

Pendo
04-01-2002, 04:07 PM
The Stormtroopers needed to use a more powerful weapon to defeat the Ewoks, why didn't they just pic up some rocks? We all know rocks and stones are more powerful than blasters! That's why them Ewoks won.

PENDO!

Rogue II
04-01-2002, 04:39 PM
I know some Star Trek Fans that would argue "How can a little A-Wing fighter take out a super Star Destroyer." I pointed out that the shields were taken out before the A-Wing crashed into the bridge. That appeased them somewhat. However, on something that size, wouldn't they have an alternate control center?

Anyway, I do find it hard to believe a squad of rebel troopers and a bunch of ewoks could defeat that many imperial troops. Then again, look at all the movies and count how many times Stormtroopers actually hit their targets in battle. A couple against the Fleet Troopers in ANH, picked off a few Jawas that sold R2....anyway, for a regular army, they aren't very good shots.

Cotasnoova
04-01-2002, 07:31 PM
Where is post about the A-wing v Super Star Detroyer? I do not see it. I am fully aware of what happened there, I just don't think the Star Detroyers, in my Super is not mentioned, could have been so easily beatin.

Rogue II
04-01-2002, 07:48 PM
Sorry, I was infering that the Rebels wouldn't have had much of a chance in the space battle over Endor. But, in George Lucas' world, the Galactic Empire tends to build large ships and space stations that can be destroyed by a single hit by a small fighter.

It also amazes me that the Emperor's "Best Troops" cannot ward off an attack of a few rebels and a group of primitave ewoks.

Wolfwood319
04-01-2002, 08:06 PM
THis is exactly why many don't hold up ROTJ as well as SW and ESB. You have to take a lot of it with a grain of salt. Stormtroopers couldn't hit the broadside of a barn if they were 10 feet away from it. Watch all the movies and tell me how many times you see someone get hit by a stormtrooper. When you see the stormtroopers board the blockade runner, they take down most of the rebel troops. Then take a look at when Han Solo is being ambushed by troopers at docking bay 94. These movies aren't exactly realistic by any means.

Stormtroopers are bad guys, they are supposed to lose. Afterall if the bad guys could hit the good guys, these movies would be real short, wouldn't they?

Rogue II
04-01-2002, 08:11 PM
Exactly Wolfwood, they are only movies.

Cotasnoova
04-01-2002, 08:16 PM
It is very much like Gi Joe the cartoon. All the joes would not down wave after wave of Cobra's mechanical robots, and no joes every got hit.

Rogue II
04-01-2002, 08:23 PM
That crossed my mind also, Cotasnoova. You have to make war non-lethal for kids, or you can't market the toys.

Rember what a big deal it was when some Autobots and Decepticons actually died in the Transformers Movie?

Cotasnoova
04-01-2002, 08:38 PM
I do not and wil not ever accept the fact that Optimus Prime went down. NEVER EVER! that was wrong, I was scarred because of that. And yes, Star Wars in all its greatness would probably not have had the same appeal if people were getting blown to bits. Even though I do find Luke smoking Aunt and Uncle to be a tad gruesome.

hamsterboy
04-02-2002, 01:09 AM
Luke smoked his aunt and uncle? What kind of high do you think he got?:D

SithDroid
04-02-2002, 01:10 AM
The ability to see dead people.:D :crazed:

Rogue II
04-02-2002, 06:40 AM
I wonder if it is the same kind of high Ben Kenobi got smoking all those Jawas......and who knows what happened to Greedo's charred carcas after Han Solo fried him.

El Chuxter
04-02-2002, 11:50 AM
The Executor's shields were down prior to the crash. Remember Ackbar orders all fighters to concentrate fire on it, and we see at least one of the shield generators taken out shortly before Arvel Crynyd goes down in history.

Beast
04-02-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
I wonder if it is the same kind of high Ben Kenobi got smoking all those Jawas......and who knows what happened to Greedo's charred carcas after Han Solo fried him.
Well, according to Tales from the Mos Eisly Cantina book, Wuher used his corpse to make a strong pheremonal drink for Jabba the Hutt. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
04-02-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Well, according to Tales from the Mos Eisly Cantina book, Wuher used his corpse to make a strong pheremonal drink for Jabba the Hutt. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention that.

I have only read a couple of the Star Wars books. I have read the trilogy by Timothy Zahn that follow ROTJ, Tales from Mos Eisley, and Tales from Jabba's Palace. Can anyone reccomend any other books?

JEDIpartner
04-02-2002, 09:44 PM
In the book, if I remember correctly, Greedo was reduced to a puddle of green slime. Hence, "Sorry about the mess".

As far as Arvel Crynyd goes, it's been shown during World War II that a single Japanese Zero was able to sink an entire ship during a Kamikaze run. The pilot just had to hit the "perfect" spot on in the structure of the ship. If it hit the tower, it could impair the ship's control ability, which happened to the Super Star Destroyer.

Knowing what we know... wouldn't the Super Star Destroyer's collision into the Death Star II be enough to cripple and eventually destroy it without the Rebels having to go in and take out the power generator?

RooJay
04-11-2002, 11:31 PM

Yes.

Darkross
04-16-2002, 10:45 AM

I don't think that the Empire would have lost that battle if they didn't have such incompetent officers. "Send three squads to help...open the back door!" Stupid officer. You would think that the Commander would have asked for identification from Han Solo posing as the AT-ST driver....or at least the secret password...no?

BanthaPoodoo
04-16-2002, 11:12 AM
If their stormtroopers were a tad smarter they probably could have won.

Example: "Close the blast doors, close the blast doors............... open the blast doors, open the blast doors"

them guys aint too smart.

Rogue II
04-16-2002, 11:17 AM
Stormtroopers probably aren't paid to think, like Marines or Army infantry. They are paid to follow orders and kill bad guys. And since the Empire was probably really hurting for warm bodies to call Stormtroopers, the standards must have been pretty low.

And besides, if the Empire would have defeated the Rebellion, George Lucas couldn't have made that wonderful celebration scene.:rolleyes:

BanthaPoodoo
04-16-2002, 01:02 PM
Which one? nyub nyub or the SE one??? both classics LOL

Rogue II
04-16-2002, 01:15 PM
Doesn't matter, they are both cheesy. Although I must admit, I like the Ewok playing the Imperial helmets. Now, for the DVD version, maybe they will use the Beastie Boys "Intergalactic" instead. They could also redo the scenes like most sports championships, everyone can be wearing hats and t-shirts with the Rebel Alliance symbol on it with a little championship trophy....

Close the blast doors!