PDA

View Full Version : Celebration Figures & Repacked POTJ? (April Fools thread)

Beast
04-01-2002, 02:54 AM
Rebelscum is reporting that they have proof of the Celebration II figures, and that they are actually a set of retro vintage figures. Of course this is probably a April Fools joke from the good people at Rebelscum, so take it with a grain of salt. Here is a link, cause I don't think we need to worry about the story being pulled down.

http://www.rebelscum.com/article.asp?i=8194

Intresting if it's true, but doubtful. Hasbro knows how us collector's took the original vintage figures being re-issued in that 4-pack at TRU. So I doubt that it's real. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
04-01-2002, 03:06 AM
Just looking over the picture that they posted, it's obviously a fake produced in Photoshop. Take a look at the Warning Sticker in the upper left corner. It's not a perfect fake, you can see some of the box that was used to lift the warning sticker off of another figure image and affix it. The warning sticker is also extremly blurry, where as the rest of the card is perfectly in focus. Good try Rebelscum, but not good enough. Should have never affixed a photo to your story. :D By the way, here is the offending picture.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Malakite
04-01-2002, 04:34 AM
They probably won't mention that its fake until the end of the day.

JEDIpartner
04-01-2002, 08:02 AM
on that site fake? Oh, wait- that's TF.N :crazed:

Rollo Tomassi
04-01-2002, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr

RRRRRRRRRRRRIMSHOT!:crazed: :D

Beast
04-01-2002, 11:25 AM
Hmm, Rebelscum still hasn't come out saying that it's fake. I dunno, the card still makes me think that it's bull... I guess we will have to wait and see if they continue the story after today. I do have 1 thing to say, if it turns out to be true. Yahooo!! I don't collect vintage, so I won't have to worry about tracking these down. So again, if it's a joke...nice try rebelscum. If it ends up true, and is just a bad pic you got from one of your sources then as I said, I don't have to worry about getting one. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
04-01-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
RRRRRRRRRRRRIMSHOT!:crazed: :D

Thank you! Thank you! Give yourselves a hand! You're beautiful!!!

"give youselves a hand"??? What- am I addressing the Skywalker family??? :rolleyes:

187-Maul
04-01-2002, 01:35 PM
did you read that post at rebelscum that all POTJ figs will be repackaged on saga cards ? probably (another) joke but if it would be true: yahoo!!! I could finally get them here in france...

Cotasnoova
04-01-2002, 02:53 PM
This has to be a joke. If not, its going to be hard to get a set or twelve to save. I do not look foward to that. So sir, not at all.

InsaneJediGirl
04-01-2002, 03:05 PM
I'd say its a fake,The Fan Club doesnt like to give out anything
for free.:D

Orignally Posted by JEDIpartnr

I'm sure TF:Pirate:N stole the news,claimed it as their own,and
posted it.:Pirate: :rolleyes:

evenflow
04-01-2002, 03:34 PM
I hope it is a April Fool's joke, I dont like tha idea for an exclusive.

Battle Droid
04-01-2002, 04:40 PM
Did you guys see that news at www.rebelscum.con about Hasbro repackaging POTJ figs on Saga cards?

Or is that another one of thier April Fools jokes?

mark2d2
04-01-2002, 04:41 PM
This has to be a joke. But it's a good one.

Dang! I'd sure want these.

Still, 12 figures! Like they've ever been that generous.

fourtwo
04-02-2002, 03:29 AM
heehee.....

:crazed:

Beast
04-02-2002, 04:09 AM
It's a big joke, Rebelscum finally admitted it...though they hid the news in a post on the front page about a pair of Princess Leia socks on Ebay. :crazed: :rolleyes: Here is what they have to say for themselves. Atleast Sir Steve was kind, and told us that the shuttle news was a joke right off the bat. :D

The Truth About Yesterday
Dave: To the faithful readers who have made it this far, I must confess. As some of you may have guessed the Creator’s Series Celebration 2 exclusive figures an April Fools joke that I concocted over the last week.

The original image was actually take from this auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1715187765) from Vintage seller extraordinaire Ian2. I spent a few hours with it in Photoshop to create the image on Monday's story. You'd have no idea how many nasty emails this one spawned!

Take comfort in knowing that the C2 exclusive will not be as difficult to find, not to mention it will likely be made available later on through the Fan Club. Now remember, you can still have fun with your friends by not passing this confessional link on to them (sideways winking happy face!)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The One
04-02-2002, 05:57 AM
I know what the Celebration II figure is, and it is not Vintage, however it is a figure they have already made, not the best figure, but dont worry, you'll be disappointed!! Trust me

pthfnder89
04-02-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Battle Droid
Did you guys see that news at www.rebelscum.con about Hasbro repackaging POTJ figs on Saga cards?

Or is that another one of thier April Fools jokes?

I think it's probably true. A LOT of the POTJ figures never saw a very large release. I can think of a dozen or more off hand that I never even saw in a store. So I'm not surprised Hasbro wants to sell more of them to the general public.

icatch9
04-02-2002, 10:47 AM
I could go either way on this one. It does sound like a joke, but hasbro has always done it in the past. Just think how many different cards the POTF 2 stormtrooper is on. Even in the vintage line. I mean you can get a tatooine luke on a Return of the Jedi card. So there is a history of it.

Still it was said on April Fools day, so you cannot beleave anything you hear that day. Especsally with them fooling us with the celebration vintiage re-issues. I think Hasbro could do it, but weather or not they will is un sean.

I bet Hasbro likes the secondary market effect. Think about it. If you want a certain figure and you cannot find it you will probally look for it on the secondary market (and pay twice what it was in the store). Sure hasbro see's none of this money, but the next time you see new stuff at the store you will buy it. Since you don't want to pay twice as much for it from some scalper. As many people do hate the secondary market, it does fule the hobby. Collecting couldn't exist without out the secondary market. It is very similar to the light and dark side of the force. It's very strange how similar it is. Not to mention how true collectors don't like scalpers. Much the same as good jedi's dont' like the sith. The mirroring effect is very clear.

Anyway if they did re-issue figuers from the POTJ line and POTF 2 line it would be great. Plus, it would bring donw the price on many figures in the secondary market. So, that would make us true collectors happy. Plus, hurting or even killing off some scalpers. But then they would be re-born when these new packaged figures live on in the secondary market. Since people will want to get all the packaging variations too. It's a sick sick circle. But if it wasn't fun we wouldn't be doing this.

Good luck and Happy hunting.

Lord Malakite
04-02-2002, 10:47 AM
Its an April Fools joke.

Lman316
04-02-2002, 10:48 AM
Sorry to inform you...I just checked Rebelscum and it says: "(April Fools)" right next to that story.

JEDIpartner
04-02-2002, 10:56 AM
But it really wouldn't be a bad idea ditching their surplus... pack 2 figures per blister and sell them at $6.44 each!

evenflow
04-02-2002, 01:45 PM
I was hoping that it was an April Fool's joke. I am totally against re-releasing figures on new cards.

Battle Droid
04-02-2002, 03:11 PM
What about the head variations that hasbro promised on certain POTJ figs, wouldn't they be on Saga cards or POTJ cards?

I also thought they were doing a Sandtrooper shoulder thing variation.

Lord Tenebrous
04-02-2002, 04:23 PM
There was talk of a new pauldron variation during the time when there was to be another shipment of Vader (Dagobah), Leia (General), Biker Scout (Dirty), and Sandtrooper. I don't know if the wave ever made it out, but even then, there was to be no variation on the Sandtrooper.

As far as the new head variants on the Imperial Officer and Rebel Fleet Trooper, I never thought any higher of them than widely circulated wishful thinking, and I'm really not sure if they'll ever appear. It would have been very wise to swap Amidala (Decoy) over into the Eeth Koth wave, and having RFT, IO, and FX-7 be 4X, with two head variations in that wave. But that was not to be.

I'd place the head variations, for now, under speculation/rumor.

Beast
04-02-2002, 04:31 PM
Hasbro confirmed the varient heads for the RFT and the Imperial Officer are still coming in a Q&A with Rebelscum at Toy Fair. They said that they should be out prior to April 23rd, but they have still not appeared and most stores have stopped ordering POTJ figures to gear up for the E2 stuff. I worry that if they do see the light of day, that they will be in such limited quantities that almost noone will actually be able to get them. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
04-02-2002, 09:08 PM
There's always YESTERTOYS and KEBco!!!

pthfnder89
04-03-2002, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Hasbro confirmed the varient heads for the RFT and the Imperial Officer are still coming in a Q&A with Rebelscum at Toy Fair. They said that they should be out prior to April 23rd, but they have still not appeared and most stores have stopped ordering POTJ figures to gear up for the E2 stuff. I worry that if they do see the light of day, that they will be in such limited quantities that almost noone will actually be able to get them. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

But they still could be released on Blue Card Saga packaging couldn't they? If so, they would be placed in a new assortment that stores WERE ordering. I really hope Hasbro does it that way, because I would like to actually be able to find some of these...:(

The One
04-03-2002, 03:17 PM
Heres a hint, the Celebration II figure comes with a micro machine in the package ;)

The One-