PDA

View Full Version : Alanis Morissette- modern poet or blithering idiot?

JEDIpartner
04-01-2002, 03:42 PM
I'm sitting here at work and "Hands Clean" is playing over my radio. Listening to the lyrics, I can't help but ask- is this poetry or does she have diarrhea of the mouth? Modern poerty (if you call it that) is so horrible for the most part (see Jewel's book that came out a couple years back). I can't help but wonder if this would be considered modern poetry, in a sense, or is it just mindless rambling.

Discuss...

JetsAndHeels
04-01-2002, 03:44 PM
Actually I heard that "Hands Clean" was written by Alanis about a past relationship she had. It was with an older man, and she was alot younger. They were keeping it secret due to the ridicule and trouble they would encounter.
Anyway I think the relationship ended and he "washed his hands clean" of it, so to speak.
I heard this on Ric Dees weekly top 40.

El Chuxter
04-01-2002, 04:43 PM
When Jagged Little Pill came out, I thought she was great. Then I learned she had previously been the "Tiffany of Canada" with two Paula Abdul-esque albums under her belt. I wondered about my previous assessment.

Then Suppose Former Infatuation Junkie came out. I bought it by mistake and decided that Jagged Little Pill was just her continuing to do what she thought was popular (at that point, angry music). JLP is still good, even though I know it's fake now.

As for poetry, I agree with what a professor of mine once said: "Poetry in and of itself is no more. It's been absorbed into pop music. Bob Dylan or Paul Simon have more literary value than 99% of the supposed poets out there."

Jargo
04-01-2002, 04:48 PM
Alanis suffers from the same navel gazing syndrome that Tori Amos and Suzanne Vega do. It compels them to write songs about menstruation cycles and every failed love affair they ever had. The lyrics are all a rambling mess of metaphor and Sylvia Plath inspired depression inducing headachy drones.

Poetry it probably is, but what kind? Poems set to music or a dirge with a twinkly piano over the top and then some random rhyming couplets thrown into the mix? I'm not a fan of Alanis and thankfully she doesn't get much airplay on the radio over here. And what's the big deal with an age gap in a relationship. I've been intimate with several partners twice my age and loved it for the experience it gave me and the lessons I learned. I wouldn't neccesarily do that now because that would mean visiting the old folks home and I'm not going down that particular road......... but when i was younger it was fun. No heartache involved. What's her blather all about then? Silly moo! :crazed:

2-1B
04-01-2002, 05:03 PM
I vote for "mindless rambling" :) Nothing personal against Alanis, I just don't care for her work. It comes off as too whiny to me.

The Rubber Cat
04-02-2002, 08:14 AM
Actually I heard that "Hands Clean" was written by Alanis about a past relationship she had. It was with an older man, and she was alot younger. They were keeping it secret due to the ridicule and trouble they would encounter.
Anyway I think the relationship ended and he "washed his hands clean" of it, so to speak.
I heard this on Ric Dees weekly top 40.

The older man in question was Dave Coulier, star of "Full House" and currently starring in his daily walk down to the liquor store. When they both lived in Canada, she was on a kid's show and he had a comedy show being shot in the same building. A may/december romance quickly blossomed bet 23.ween her and the creepy thirty something dating a teenager. After they broke it off, she cranked out an entire album about him (anybody remember "You oughtta know"? That was about Dave as well...) She is currently dating semi hot (the career is hot, not the actor.) young star Dash Mihok (http://us.imdb.com/Name?Mihok,+Dash). And her second album is mostly about the bliss she shares with him. But since the bliss of 'Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie" didn't sell as well as the angst of "Jagged Little Pill" she's singing about Dave again. Heh hoo!

See? The Rubber Cat doles out knowledge in addition to craving it! Hoo hah!

LTBasker
04-02-2002, 08:46 AM
She's not the best artist, but at least she writes her own songs and can REALLY sing them.

Fulit
04-02-2002, 10:07 AM
Blithering Idiot gets my vote. I was watching Pop-Up Video once (yeah I know, I was bored) and they mentioned how none of the instances she gives in her song "Ironic" are actually examples of irony, they are just simply "bummers". Now THAT'S ironic. And stupid.

Oh and also I can't stand her caterwauling voice. Yeesh.

JetsAndHeels
04-02-2002, 10:11 AM
Remember when she was on "You cant do that on Television" on Nickelodeon?
I loved to see the cast get drenched with water or covered in slime!!

JEDIpartner
04-02-2002, 10:13 AM
The early days of cable where everything looked like local public access!!! :D

JetsAndHeels
04-02-2002, 10:15 AM
Yes, those were the days. I miss shows like that.
I remember when MTV used to actually show music videos.

Rollo Tomassi
04-02-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by JangoFett96
Yes, those were the days. I miss shows like that.
I remember when MTV used to actually show music videos.

oop!:eek: Now you've done it. JT's gonna come in here on a rant...;)

JEDIpartner
04-02-2002, 10:25 AM
in MTV stands more for "moron" these days. I think only 25% of their programming is dedicated to music. How stupid is that??? MTV has lost its direction and purpose. Apparently people would much rather see a bunch of masochistic, barely educated, inarticulate dunderheads do "stunts", "act" or portray "real life" to another group of masochistic, barely educated, inarticulate dunderheads who are sitting in front of the television.

The heck with JT's rant... here's mine!

pthfnder89
04-02-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
in MTV stands more for "moron" these days. I think only 25% of their programming is dedicated to music. How stupid is that??? MTV has lost its direction and purpose. Apparently people would much rather see a bunch of masochistic, barely educated, inarticulate dunderheads do "stunts", "act" or portray "real life" to another group of masochistic, barely educated, inarticulate dunderheads who are sitting in front of the television.

The heck with JT's rant... here's mine!

Too true JEDIpartnr.

I really can't stand MTV a lot of the time. They claim to cover "news" but it's entirely superficial and you don't learn anything from it anyway. And I can't stand how every commercial, behind the scenes show, and news report is quick edited and strobe lighted so those with an attention span of a jackrabbit on crack can follow along. Unfortunately that goes for most of the videos too, so I pretty much just stay away entirely.:(

JEDIpartner
04-02-2002, 10:51 AM
I must be missing the 25 minutes a day that they play the videos! Oh, wait... I caught a Rob Zombie video on one day about two months ago.

mabudonicus
04-02-2002, 11:20 AM
Boy she stinks. You think it's bad on the receiving end? How about having to hear that drek and KNOW that somewhere, somehow, it's forming subconscious new attitudes about Canadians in shopping malls worldwide.
I OFFICIALLY apologize to anyone from any other countries who has been "touched" by her music.
Any "artist" who can't write a single line without beginning it with an "I" is not what they're cracked up to be. I'm sorry, We're all sorry.
Really.
Woooooooooooo!!!!!