PDA

View Full Version : Why Walmart?

nwookie
04-01-2002, 06:03 PM
All the stories of AOTC figures being released early involve Walmart. Has anyone found Target or KB or TRU releasing stuff accidentally? Or, are the Walmart employees just not as quick?

wicket5
04-01-2002, 07:03 PM
I think the other stores keep them at the warehouses untill closer to the release date, that way dumb employees can't put them out like walmart has been.

derek
04-01-2002, 07:14 PM
what i'm wondering is if these walmarts are putting stuff out early, are they gonna get refills for april 23rd?

Battle Droid
04-01-2002, 07:21 PM
If they're selling that good, they'll surely order more for the 23rd.

DeadEye
04-01-2002, 08:00 PM
something about walmart, and exclusive only to walmart, makes the employees unable to read, and thus they have put out the AOTC toys now.

therock0603
04-01-2002, 08:38 PM
Hey. I went to a TRU where I live and found Obi-Wan's starfighter vehicle from AOTC there. But that's all they had out. Oh well. Then I went to a Wal-Mart down the street and found 6 of the Collection 2 Episode II figures!!!! YAY! Only got 3 though... gonna get more money and get the rest on Saturday.

DeadEye
04-01-2002, 09:23 PM
but I thought the starfighter was released with the preview figures...

It's possible someone bought the starfighter at wm and returned it to tru.

therock0603
04-01-2002, 09:26 PM
Nope, this was the AOTC version of the starfighter. They had about 4 or 5 of them, and it was in the new packaging, not the Power of the Jedi packaging.

DeadEye
04-01-2002, 09:34 PM
well, read all of my above post. :P

JEDIpartner
04-01-2002, 10:04 PM
Wal*Mart just hires some of the dumbest people to be employees! ;)

You'd better know I'm just kidding!!!

Jedi_Rainman
04-01-2002, 10:11 PM
Just to let everyone know. WM cares nothing about release dates except for there Eletronics Dept. Those are the only dates that they have to follow. I know this b/c I work in the Eletronics Dept. and I even asked the store manager about it. Toy release dates don't matter. They cannot and will not be fined for an early releasing of toys. Even AOTC!:frus:

DeadEye
04-01-2002, 10:44 PM
lol!!!! I honestly did not know that. Thanks. :)

Dar' Argol
04-01-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Rainman
Just to let everyone know. WM cares nothing about release dates except for there Eletronics Dept. Those are the only dates that they have to follow. I know this b/c I work in the Eletronics Dept. and I even asked the store manager about it. Toy release dates don't matter. They cannot and will not be fined for an early releasing of toys. Even AOTC!:frus:

That is incorrect info.I was around during the TPM release, and we had one of our dumbarse overnight accosiates put out a case of figs b/4 the street date. They of course sold. Home Office called our store the next morning demanding to know why those figs were sold b/4 the street date! We were fined for breaking the fig street date. I don't know how much but our store manager was ****ed and told me to put everything in our security room so it was all locked up. That is the same thing I have been doing this time. But I have not seen any figs yet, just the Lego's. So Jedi_Rainman, WM does care about street dates, and stores DO get fined. It really depends on if your store manager cares at all if this fine comes off your stores bottom line and thus affects your profit sharing! I know I care about that bonus check!.

Jedi_Rainman
04-02-2002, 01:57 AM
Here is a question for ya. How big is your store and what is it? Super Center, normal WM or what? The old men in Bentonville, Arkansas don't give a hoot about the smaller stores unless a customer complains. We for one are small and the town it is in sucks and is nothing but low income, cheap, welfare ppl that don't wanna work. (No Offense to any low income ppl) Just making a point!

Jedi_Rainman
04-02-2002, 01:59 AM
And its not as if you are losing anything. The so-called bonus check is free money and yes it is nice, but what if they didn't have it? You see, your not losing anything. You only have room to gain!

Jedi_Rainman
04-02-2002, 02:00 AM
And one more thing...its not my fault that my store don't care. I was just posting what the store manager told me when I asked him myself.

2-1B
04-02-2002, 03:34 AM

I second that statement about the Electronics streetdates :) Last Monday night I was in there, around 11pm hoping that a new DVD would be out already for me to scoop up (Life as a House BTW ;) ). That store recently converted to 24 hors, so I thought maybe I would get lucky since I didn't want to go back the next day. Anyhoo, they hadn't put them out yet, but they were all boxed up in a cart, crammed into the camera developing section. The boxes were well marked with urgent/warning labels about the release date. Now, had that cart been in the shopping area, I would have just helped myself but I thought it would be trashy to be seen on camera rooting around near their expensive developing equipment :D :D :D

Sorry, I can't comment on the toy release dates :confused:

General Veers
04-02-2002, 09:10 AM
IMO street dates shouldn't be clearly defined, does it really matter that one store puts it out before the others? The closest Walmart to me is about 50 miles from here. This screws me on getting any AOTC merchandise early.:frus:

LTBasker
04-02-2002, 09:37 AM
Actually from my experiance before May 3rd '99 I found all the first waves of SW Legos out on the shelves which were obviously breaking street date since they were supposed to be held and so since all but the Droid Fighter had price stickers put on them I was able to get in lay-a-way but they weren't in the computer yet and when the manager who was on the otherside of the door relaxing in the storage part of lay-a-way was told about the sets, he had a fit about it and ordered ALL of the sets be removed from the shelves immediately. I was able to put the sets in lay-a-way due to them having price stickers but that didn't make alot of difference because later on they "lost" it. :frus: Oh well.

pthfnder89
04-02-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by DeadEye
but I thought the starfighter was released with the preview figures...

It's possible someone bought the starfighter at wm and returned it to tru.

The Starfighter *is* released as a preview vehicle but they didn't use a special preview packge like the preview figures. It's the standard AOTC box that the Starfighter will come in.

And Toys R Us is carrying them. That's where I got mine last week. They had around 20 of them on the shelf.

dr_evazan22
04-02-2002, 05:16 PM
I think that w/ W-M, it's just a matter of sales volume. W-m had more in sales last year than than Exxon! (according to abc news...4/01/02).
I got some AOTC fig's alst night by going at 10p and picking the boxes out of the pallets brought onto the floor for restocking. I went back this morning to see if they had gotten the Bomber or Snowspeeder (assuming I hadn't seen them the night before). The pallets were still on the floor w/ a lot to restock, but every case of SW fig's was gone.
And I was gonna get some more!

BTW, who levies these fines?

Dar' Argol
04-02-2002, 08:29 PM
Here is a question for ya. How big is your store and what is it? Super Center, normal WM or what? The old men in Bentonville, Arkansas don't give a hoot about the smaller stores unless a customer complains. We for one are small and the town it is in sucks and is nothing but low income, cheap, welfare ppl that don't wanna work. (No Offense to any low income ppl) Just making a point!

At the time of TPM we were a division 1 WM. A regular, run o' the mill WM. So yes, we were a small store and we did get hit for putting out b/4 SD. Another thing is that if the store repeats this act, Lucas Liceincing will deny all futher shipments of their product to just that store. That was what we were threatened with.

And its not as if you are losing anything. The so-called bonus check is free money and yes it is nice, but what if they didn't have it? You see, your not losing anything. You only have room to gain!

Either you have not been with WM long, or you never bothered to ask where this "free money" comes from. 3 yrs ago we got a bounus check for about $600 after taxes. That following year we went through a 4 wall expantion to a SuperCenter. During that year, we made profit. But not enough. We went through hell with leaking roofs, PO'ed customers, and idiot construction workers and we got zip as a result. A store 30 minutes from us received a $800 bounus check that year, while we got nothing! Your bounus check is determined by how much more the store made then last year, how many associates are currently working there, and how much shrink your store had. Shrink, as in all Shrink. Not just theft, but fines, paper shrink, etc. If your store makes over a certian % in profits, you get a bounus check. If its even a little under. . . zip!

Dar' Argol
04-02-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted on rebelscum.com
In a not too suprising step, it seems Wal-Mart managers were reminded Monday in an urgent email from their offices the street date for many of the Episode II toys is April 23 and that there could be legal ramifications of non-compliance

This is what I am talking about. There are legal issues pertaining to breaking street date.