PDA

View Full Version : How They Look Now

Bel-Cam Jos
04-01-2002, 06:05 PM
Not everyone has MIMP or MOMC quality toys and figures. As many a youth did in days gone by, I "customized" some of my stuff, and it remains to this day. What things are obviously yours based on what you've done to them?

For example, my Darth Vader carry case has a bunch of stickers and such all over it. The front: my name taped to his left eyebrow, those black name stickers from the vinyl carry cases (Leia Organa: Hoth Battle Gear, Leia Organa, and Darth Vader [above his cape chain]), a Han and a Wicket sticker, a Chewie sticker in a "O", trading card stickers of Biker Scout and Ben Kenobi, and inexplicably a GI Joe "Laser Rifle Trooper" carry case sticker. On back: 2 movie images from a newspaper article about ROJ, a cut-up orange cardboard piece (the ones below the feet of carded SW figures) that has "Jabba, Biker Scout, Wicket" on it, my name again, more black figure stickers (R5-D4, R2-D2, FX-7 Medical Droid, and Imperial Commander), a drawing of an Emperor's Guard, 4 character stickers (Luke Jedi, Chewie, Yoda, and Gamorrean Guard), plus 2 tradign card stickers (Mon Calamari and Han). Yes, I am looking at it as I type; my memory's good, but not that good.

Okay, so you wouldn't have to be so specific, but hey; it's me!

Rollo Tomassi
04-02-2002, 10:30 AM
This isn't vintage, but after I got my F/X X-Wing, my friend got the soundtrack to "Lost In Space" and I took that white sticker off the top of the jewel case (the one that has the barcode on it) and cut out just the "Lost in Space" part and put it on the rear end of my F/X X-Wing...

It's like a bumper sticker...get it?

Ahhhhhh....my friend thought it was funny.

Anyway. The only thing my Vintage Vader case has on it is dust.

JEDIpartner
04-02-2002, 10:14 PM
you are ILL! ILL! You hear me??? ILL!!! I still like you anyhow. I wouldn't have you any other way.

The only thing I did to "customise" in my own little primitive way... was to take my Droid Factory ARTOO dome and drill little holes into it to accomodate little plastic cylinders to be the "projectors" on his dome... since the vintage one didn't have them... It actually came out looking quite nice after I applied the silver paint to them.

browndroid
04-02-2002, 10:18 PM
i never really tried to do anything like that, but now im getting more into it. once im done with something maybe i'll post it

SithDroid
04-02-2002, 10:27 PM
I *gulp* used to cut off the lightsaber/lamp from vintage Yodas belt and put it in his hand. What good was it on his belt? Oh I wish I wouldn't have done that.

2-1B
04-03-2002, 12:53 AM
I remember one particular family dog from my childhood that enjoyed "customizing". My double amputee Bespin Leia is proof of that. And my club foot TIE pilot . . . :eek:

JEDIpartner
04-03-2002, 08:47 AM
The TIE pilot??!!! :eek:

I don't have a TIE pilot at all!!! Vintage or new!! I know where I can get the POTF2 one for $10. Maybe I'll go out and get one of those tonight.

Rollo Tomassi
04-03-2002, 03:53 PM
I went into a comic shop and they had a vintage Star Destroyer sitting waaaay up the top shelf. It was missing the gun (i'm having that problem a lot!:mad: See 'Silly Vader" thread) the orange "Hologram strip and the orange window in Vader's chamber. But the guy only wanted $10 for it, so I bought it.

Then I went into an antique shop looking for a coffee table and lo and behold I found ANOTHER one for $10. This one had all the stuff the first one was missing, PLUS the instruction sheet! I also got an uglyass ceramic Darth Vader bust that is also a lamp for $5. how can you walk away from something that cheesy??:D

So now I have two Star Destroyer playsets where yesterday I had none. They are pretty cool when you place them back to back make like it's one big playset. The little trap doors for the "escaping Imperials" is kinda cool. The other thing I noticed was in the instructions, Vader can talk to the GRAND VIZIER on the orange hologram thingie. GRAND VIZIER is even TM'd. Hmmmm.....Emperor, anyone? Or is the old chimp eyed lady a lackey of some kind? Vintage rocks!:D

[EDITORS NOTE...THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A SEPARATE THREAD. DON'T KNOW HOW IT GOT IN HERE...]

2-1B
04-03-2002, 04:12 PM
Speaking of Star Destroyers, I haven't seen E.T. in years so I forgot about Elliot's SD in the the background. Last night I went nuts when I saw it, and then went even nuttier when he showed E.T. his vintage figs :eek:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-03-2002, 05:19 PM
Two things, Caesar. Number one, that is one scary icon you're using now! :eek: ;) Number two, I made a point to notice as many SW items in E.T. when I saw it this past weekend. They are:
- Greedo
- Hammerhead
- Walrusman
- Lando Calrissian
- Boba Fett
- Snaggletooth
- Star Destroyer playset (on bed headboard)
- Darth Vader TIE model (hanging from ceiling)
- TIE Fighter toy (or model?) also from ceiling
- Yoda costume (on Halloween night)

And I think that was all I noticed.

p.s. Trivia contest: what was the date that ET landed on Earth?

2-1B
04-03-2002, 05:25 PM
Ooh, I missed the date he landed. Also, I didn't catch the TIE fighters hanging from the ceiling. The Yoda costume though, that I was waiting for! It must have been a blast in '82, Yoda was only 2 years old yet quite a cultural phenom already :)

How great is it that we can relate E.T. to a vintage thread? :)

Rollo Tomassi
04-03-2002, 10:05 PM
EEUUUWWWWW YUCK!:p :mad: I opened up the battery case of my new Star Destroyer and there was a crusty battery in there from who knows HOW long ago. Covered in crusty battery acidness.

P.S. Darth Vader's breathing made a cameo in E.T. when the govt guys come in the bathroom.;)

October 29th? (Two days before Halloween!)

Bel-Cam Jos
04-04-2002, 12:21 PM
You're close, Rollo, but not quite right. Keep trying, if you wish.

Sorry about the battery thing, too. I've removed all my batteries (I think... I hope!), but I did have a battery that lasted over 10 years in my Vader's TIE! It lit up the light but not sounds; I'd still say that was pretty good.

Other unusual things in E.T. I noticed:
- Stars of the National Football League poster (couldn't see which players)
- Old Coke soda cans
- Pez. PEZ! (could that have been what made E.T. sick? :rolleyes: )
- Those ugly, bulky earphones!
- That hilarious telephone company TV commercial where the kid hangs up on his relative (well, it was funny THEN)
- Bad, thick neckties :D

Rollo Tomassi
04-04-2002, 12:47 PM
I know it was close but I'm getting all the what happened when messed up. He shows up the first night. Comes back the second night. Elliot fakes sickness the third day. Goes to school the fourth. Then there is a day or two where they are building the radio. Then it's Halloween. So, the 25th?

other things I noticed in E.T.: Erika Eleniak! Yummy! Who knew that cute little girl would grow up to be a Playboy Playmate?:D

I also saw "This Island Earth" playing in one scene. I recognized it because that was the movie they were making fun of in MST3K the Movie.

And the "kissing" movie was John Wayne and Maureen O'hara in "The Quiet Man" which is one of my dad's fave movies, so I recognized that one too.

One thing I thought was funny, was when Elliot takes the money to go get the pizza and the guys start telling him what they want on it "Everything but the little fishies!..." Well, wouldn't they have already ordered it?!? Or does the pizza guy just drive around with randomly topped pizzas and hopes that someone asks for the kind he's got. I don't know how pizza delivery worked in California back in the early 80's but that seemed odd to me.:p :rolleyes:

2-1B
04-04-2002, 02:53 PM
Erika Eleniak? Wow! This is the first I heard of her being in there, but I think I know who she was - the blonde in school that liked Elliot? It's ironic, I just saw in her in my Bordello of Blood DVD last night :D

I saw the NFL poster too, and was trying to make out the player names . . .

Coke cans were classic, but I also liked the Fresca cans :)

Those headphones were horrible, I was disturbed watching that kid :D

How about their dishwasher? Even as a kid that seemed strange because it took us awhile to get one :p

Bel-Cam Jos
04-04-2002, 05:46 PM
I had it at the 27th that he landed, Rollo. First night (10/27), then second night (10/28, when Elliott meets ET). Third is the "sick day" (10/29). Fourth is the "free frogs" day (10/30). The next I believe was Halloween. But I could be wrong; might be one more day in between, so then it'd be the 26th. Haveta check my video copy. Now, do you know what DAY OF THE WEEK that E.T. landed? (Of course, that's provided I know the right number of days since he landed... :( )

Rollo Tomassi
04-04-2002, 05:55 PM
Sunday? I only say that because it seemed strange for them to be over at Elliot's and Michael's place that late on a school night. (but I guess, Sunday night IS a school night...so never mind...)

You thought the dishwasher was wierd? I thought it was weird that Elliot dumped his entire plate of food into the sink, complete with the aluminum foil from the baked potato. What kind of industrial strength food disposals did you people HAVE in the 80's out there in CA??!? Good lord.:D

Did we get off topic?:rolleyes: ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
04-04-2002, 06:14 PM
Off-topic... off-topic? What does that mean again? ;)

It was probably Saturday. Think about it: Elliott doesn't have to go to school the next day after ET lands, but does the day after the day after (i.e. Saturday, to Sunday, to Monday). So "free frog" day is on Tuesday, and Halloween either a Wednesday or Thursday.

Check out the steam from the faucet after Elliott puts the dishes away. Now THAT'S a good hot water tank; took maybe 3 seconds to fog up the whole window! :eek: And I'd never noticed that the high school friends of Mike's were playing a Dungeons N Dragons type game. I thought it was poker!

AND (geez, Bel-Cam, get to your POINT! :p) where was the Harrison Ford-as-Elliott's-principal scene? I thought Speilberg was gonna add it in. Unless it's for the DVD... :Pirate: arr!

Rollo Tomassi
04-04-2002, 08:40 PM
Tee Hee. or how about when E.T. knocks over everything in Elliot's room and Elliot panics and closes his bedroom door. You know, the door made out of tissue paper with all the SLATS that let even the softest whisper through?

Saturday! Right. I meant Saturday...:rolleyes:

mabudonicus
03-26-2007, 02:07 PM
My sister "customized" my original small-head Han by ripping his head off and putting it on a barbie doll- why, I can't recall and neither does she, but it took me 20 damn years to finally get the truth outta her- I was supposed to believe that han's head just flew off while he was in the case one day :beard:Isobaws&

Jargo
03-26-2007, 05:13 PM
All i have left is a few mangled limbs and heads and one complete and with original weapon B-wing pilot. I repainted a lot of my vintage figures when they were new because the paint apps always bothered me. wrong colours or missed paint apps. It's probably where I learned a few painting skills. I have no love of the vintage figures though. I didn't really like them back then but collected them as that's all there was. I was more interested i making models of the movie environments and then shoving figures in to populate the settings. I passed my high school art final with a big Endor bunker set up as part of my display. which sounds odd for a high school final exam thing but really, you should have seen the low standard I was up against. I could have passed with a fart in a bottle labelled 'XXX'.
My AT-ST fared up to some smashing though. I hurled mini logs and mudslides and rocks and even filled it with butane once to give a nice fireball explosion out of the top. a little singed but it stood up to it all. can't imagine the POTJ version being so resilient.
I had a stunt stormtrooper too. his legs went all loose and wobbly making him the perfect dive taker off anything high enough to 'feel' like a death star chasm bridge platform. he eventually got cut in half filled with tissue paper and the end painted red. Luke used to regularly slice and dice him during the ESB period.
I think my vader lost his head that way too. Spooky Dagobah cave vader.

jjreason
04-03-2007, 06:58 PM
I had a similar small-head Han customizing experience - my brother took a pair of pliers to mine. When the big-headed replacement came some time later, I was horrified by him - even the other figures shunned him.