PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce.........

gibbyhayes
04-02-2002, 12:08 AM
Help me out. Ever since the whole KEE-GONE/KWEE-GONE/KWHY-GONE thing I've been a little gunshy on Lucas phonetics. Who wants to commit to how we'll say the following:
-Dooku (like 'doo-dy'?)
-Plo Koon (Plo'h, Plew, etc.)
-Geonosis (hard J or soft G?)

Extra credit:
-Shaak Ti
-Saesee Tiin
-Zam Wesell (seems obvious but you never know..)
-Orn Free Ta

I realize there's only one way to say 'Bossk', but we didn't know that before 'Empire' did we? and 'Nien Nunb' looked crazy in print too! (Ever heard any one say 'Obi-Wan' wrong - it bugged you, didn't it?)

Dar' Argol
04-02-2002, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by gibbyhayes
Help me out. Ever since the whole KEE-GONE/KWEE-GONE/KWHY-GONE thing I've been a little gunshy on Lucas phonetics. Who wants to commit to how we'll say the following:
-Dooku (like 'doo-dy'?)
-Plo Koon (Plo'h, Plew, etc.)
-Geonosis (hard J or soft G?)

Extra credit:
-Shaak Ti
-Saesee Tiin
-Zam Wesell (seems obvious but you never know..)
-Orn Free Ta

I realize there's only one way to say 'Bossk', but we didn't know that before 'Empire' did we? and 'Nien Nunb' looked crazy in print too! (Ever heard any one say 'Obi-Wan' wrong - it bugged you, didn't it?)

Dooku (Doe koo)
Plo Koon (Plooo Kooon)
Geonosis (Gee*o*no*sis)

Saesee Tiin (I only know the last name and its said like Tin)

gibbyhayes
04-02-2002, 12:37 AM
See.. and they say good help is hard to find these days. Thanks again Dar' Argol, and y'all feel free to add to my list ( is it 'Kamino' as in El Camino?)

Lord Tenebrous
04-02-2002, 01:05 AM
I second that :). It's SAY-SEE TIN.

I would recommend Red 6's Encyclopedia, that just recently updated with some AOTC characters and things. But he's got a lot wrong.

Yep, Kamino is like Camino. Lama Su is 'llama sue', Taun We is 'tawn way", what else...

zam wesell = zam wes-sell
shaak tii = shack tee
tyranus = tier-ann-us

Most of the other names are pretty simple [although some are really, really uncreative/dull].

gibbyhayes
04-02-2002, 01:39 AM
See, you're confirming my theory that Lucas is a lazy linguist. Perhaps our favorite Bounty Hunter was a typo of Bob Afett? I wnat more flourishes like the soft 'S' glide in 'Coruscant'.

Do I hear snoring out there? Sorry.:D

2-1B
04-02-2002, 03:00 AM
"Shock Tee" is how I've been hearing it in my head . . . but I agree with the other ones Tenebrous said.

And I think of Plo Koon as plo from explode and koon as in racoon.

Zam Wesell, I'm curious on that one because I could see them going with "Zom" as in Stamp's Zod character from Superman.

Does anyone think they will even say Zam's name in the movie?

Jargo
04-02-2002, 07:41 AM
Say - See - Teen the double 'I' is pronounced as a big 'E'

Ploh - Koon as in spoon

Shak - Tee or at least it should be with the doubla 'a'

Zam as in Sam and Wessel as in Vessel

Ti - Ra - Nss. the 'I' being a small soft sound The 'R' is strong but the 'A' is soft and more like a small grunt than an 'a' so more like 'err'. The 'N' is strong but the 'S' is a sharp hiss.

The Rubber Cat
04-02-2002, 09:28 AM
Oho! Everybody knows it's pronounced "SASSY" Teen. Bringer of SASS to the Force. Hoo h24.ah!

mabudonicus
04-02-2002, 12:07 PM
Wherein "coruscant" was pronounced differently almost every time it was spoken??
I wanna know how to pronounce
1- pote snitkin(WITHOUT sounding like a dork)
2- Jo'o'oo'ruuuungh C'Baoth(the clone guy from HTTH)
There's more, but that's enough for right now. Woooo!!!

JEDIpartner
04-02-2002, 02:26 PM
Pote- like "Moat"
Snit- like "Knit"
Kin- like "Skin"

...at least.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-02-2002, 06:10 PM
-Dooku [doo-koo]
-Plo Koon [ploh-coon]
-Geonosis [gee-oh-no-sis]
Extra credit:
-Shaak Ti [shock tee]
-Saesee Tiin [say-see tin]
-Zam Wesell [zamm wess-ell]
-Orn Free Ta [ornn free tah]

Others I've wondered about:
Kyp Durron [kipe durr-un?]
Talon Karde [tahl-on card?]
Borsk Fey'la (sp?) [borsk fay'lah?]
Ta'a Chume [tah-ah choom-ay?]

Huh? :confused:

Jargo
04-02-2002, 06:22 PM
Count Dooku - Cownt - Doh-Koo ;)

JEDIpartner
11-13-2002, 08:47 AM
This has been a long running problem for me. George Lucas cannot seem to keep the pronunciations of the names he created reined in. On the DVD extras he cannot seem to decide whether it is "NAY-boo" or "nah-BOO". Nor can he decide whehter or not it is "DOUGH-koo", "doo-KOO" or "DOO-koo". Help him!!!

Lyet
11-13-2002, 10:00 AM
Did anyone also catch that in one of the featurettes (Story I think), one of the production guys refers to the guy Dooku speak to in the end as the Emperor, not as Darth Sidious?

JEDIpartner
11-13-2002, 10:47 AM
I didn't get to the featurettes yet, but I will definitely look out for that.

I know that the character is referred to as "DOO-koo", for the most part. However, I think it was pronounced that way due to the actors' inability to pronounce it "DOUGH-koo", which is how it was intended. "Dooku" (with the double "o" pronounced as a "long O") in Japanese means "poison."

2-1B
11-13-2002, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I think Ben Burtt called Sidious "The Emperor" - because he is. :)

JP, I've noticed that too about pronounciations - how can I get bothered by the different versions said by the characters when the guy who writes this stuff can't even be clear? :D

The Overlord Returns
11-13-2002, 01:15 PM
Hey....it's not even confined to the prequels...

Remember Dodonna's pronunciation of 'Leia" as "leea" ???

Come on man......

2-1B
11-13-2002, 02:06 PM
How do you pronouce Ephant Mon ?

Eee-font ? Eee-fant?

JEDIpartner
11-13-2002, 02:47 PM
EE-Faent like "at"... I suppose!

And how about "Geonosis?" Is it "Gee-Oh-NAW-siss" or "Gee-Oh-KNOW-sis".

...ehhhh- you say "potato." I say "vodka."

DarthChuckMc
11-13-2002, 08:27 PM
Not sure if anyone else has noticed or brought these up, but
Leia is pronounced both

Lee-ya (by Grand Moff Tarkin)
Lay-ya (everyone else in the movie)

Han (as in hand-by the man himself in the cantina)
Hon (by everyone else)

Obi-wan (as in wand by Sir Alec when meeting Luke, and Luke Talking to Beru and Owen)

Obi-Won (by Vader)

gibbyhayes
11-14-2002, 09:58 PM
I'm touched that someone dragged this thread out from way back - I forgot I brought it up. Watching the DVD extras though, it seems irrelevant now because everyone involved (Lucas, McC, Burtt, Coleman etc.) seems to have settled on their own versions of most names.
Lucas even pronounces "Dooku" differently on several occassions.
Oh well, can't really screw up Yoda at least.

Jedi Clint
11-14-2002, 11:32 PM
Don't go all mushy on me gibby ;) I did remember the thread, found it and merged it with the current pronunciation discussion. I never really worried about the actual pronunciation of these names and titles. I mostly read and write them......I rarely speak them.

Lord Tenebrous
11-14-2002, 11:52 PM
Jabba is another interesting one.

Fode and Beed I believe say "Ja-baa", as does Ody on the Commtech chip. But in ROTJ, Threepio says, "Jab-baa".

Jedi Master Silas
11-15-2002, 12:15 AM
Say Count Dooku like my nephew does.....Count Play-Doe (Dont ask me why he's only 2)

Deoxyribonucleic
11-15-2002, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by gibbyhayes
Watching the DVD extras though, it seems irrelevant now because everyone involved (Lucas, McC, Burtt, Coleman etc.) seems to have settled on their own versions of most names.
Lucas even pronounces "Dooku" differently on several occassions.

So true! On one of the web documentaries I think it was, Lucas pronounced Hoth with a long O, like HOE-TH....I couldn't believe I was hearing that and even went back and listened again and sure enough he says Hoeth!

ROFL :crazed:

Beast
11-15-2002, 03:05 AM
Well, if the fans can't figure out how things should be pronounced, why should Lucas take the time to. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
11-15-2002, 09:21 AM
AL•der•ann

ALL•de•rahn

ALL•de•ran

Hmmmm...

YAH•vin

YEAH•vin

Darth Vellner
11-16-2002, 01:32 PM
[i]
I realize there's only one way to say 'Bossk', but we didn't know that before 'Empire' did we? and 'Nien Nunb' looked crazy in print too! (Ever heard any one say 'Obi-Wan' wrong - it bugged you, didn't it?) [/B]

YEA!! A friend of mine always calls BOBA FETT - "BOLBA FATT"
("BOWL-BAH FAT")

TheDarthVader
04-16-2003, 11:22 PM
Okay. Watching my AOTC DVD, I noticed that Lucas pronunciates Dooku (do-koo) like dough-koo. He also pronunciates Naboo (nuh-boo) like this --> nay boo. If he wanted it this way how come the pronunciations in AOTC are doo-koo and nuh-boo instead of dough-koo and nay-boo?? And if AOTC is correct, how come he says it this way? Don't tell me its a po-tay-toe, po-tot-toe issue!!! ;)

Pendo
04-17-2003, 04:50 AM
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5626

Hope this helps :)

PENDO!

TheDarthVader
04-17-2003, 03:47 PM
Thanks Pendo! That was a great help! My fault...I should have searced first, but I was sure no one had talked about his yet. lol

JEDIpartner
04-17-2003, 04:21 PM
One can never guess where the emphasis will be placed on the next go around.

Tomorrow we may all be pronouncing "Coruscant" like "Curry Sauce" as Liam Neeson did... :rolleyes:

TheDarthVader
04-17-2003, 07:43 PM
It is actually sad that these pronunciations could all be correct and that there is not a definitive proununciation available for these words.

TheDarthVader
04-17-2003, 07:51 PM
Nevermind! Just found this on the official site...starwars.com

"We had to come up with names for them," says Episode I's Live Action Creature Effects Supervisor Nick Dudman about the Jedi Council characters his crew constructed. "I decided to call one of the Jedi 'Plonkoon,' because we called my son that during the first year of his life. I wrote down Plonkoon, George [Lucas] crossed out the 'n' and Plo Koon was born!"

Considering this...the correct way is pl-o(like oh) koon (like moon).

Jayspawn
04-21-2003, 12:21 AM
I say...

Dooku (doo-koo)
Plo Koon (plow-coon)
Geonosis (gee-o-nosis)
Qui-Gon (qui rymes with 'buy' -gone)