PDA

View Full Version : Major League Baseball!

JetsAndHeels
04-02-2002, 11:09 AM
Well the season has officially started this week. Who here is a baseball fan? If so, who is your team?
I am a New York Mets fan. They opened yesterday at Shea Stadium and beat the Pittsburgh Pirates 6-2.
Now it feels like Spring has finally arrived!!
PS-Congrats to Maryland on winning the National Championship last night!!

Mandalorian Candidat
04-02-2002, 11:20 AM
I was a big fan of the Dodgers and Angels before Fox and Disney bought them out. Now they are just a couple of sad corporate logos. Personally I could care less about the sport. It pretty much boils down to whoever has the biggest checkbook wins.:dead:

JetsAndHeels
04-02-2002, 12:39 PM
Yes, unfortunately it has gotten like that, but so has just about every other professional sport. Money talks and it talks loud.
Still I wont let this hinder my love for America's pasttime.
This is going to be a great season!!

icatch9
04-02-2002, 12:54 PM
Baseball has always been Corrupt. Even back in the day. Weíve seen this in the movies (Eight Men Out, The Babe, and Cobb). It just the way sports are. It hasnít changed and wonít. Itís just the average Joe is on to their little games now. So that takes away from some of the fun. Iíll still watch and root for my favorite team. Which is the Chicago White Sox. They won their first game and are projected to do very well this season. I hope they do. My dad told me yesterday that Iíd better get in line for Sox playoff tickets now. I donít think Iíll be doing that, but I am rooting for them all the way.

JetsAndHeels
04-02-2002, 12:59 PM
Why the White Sox and not the Cubs, icatch9?
Just curious to know.

JetsAndHeels
04-02-2002, 02:14 PM
Anyways, this is a great time of year to get out and enjoy a game.
The weather is good, spring is here, and it is almost time for Star Wars!! This is great!!

icatch9
04-02-2002, 02:18 PM
I think you answered your own questions becasue the White Sox are not the Cubs. I don't know. My dad is a big Sox fan but that only has a little to do with it. I just never have cared much for the Cubs. I think it's becasuse everyone likes the Cubs. Even non-baseball fans like the Cubs. It's that loveable loser thing I guess. So, when I was a kid I just liked the Sox instead. I like the Astros alot too, but I know why I like them. When I was real little I thought their oranage hat and uniforms were realy cool. Even since I have liked them. But if the Sox ans Stros met in the series it's go Sox go!

QLD
04-02-2002, 02:42 PM
I am really looking forward to this season. My team is the Braves, and they finally added some offensive firepower to go with their pitching. Their two new bats, Sheffield and Castilla, both hit home runs last night. I have a feeling the Braves will win another World Series this year, to further etch themselves in history as a great team. I suffered through the 80's, when the only people went to Braves games was to watch Dale Murphy, or another team. They were so horrible, it is beyond comprehension. Even though most Braves fans have become bored with them doing well every year, I have not. I will never forget the magic that was in the air in 1991 when they went from worst to first. And I will never forget how excited I was when they finally won a World Series in 1995.

But I think this season will be a good one.

icatch9
04-02-2002, 03:22 PM
I agree Long-Dong. I am not a true Braves fan, but I always root for them in the Play offs (except against the Astros). It sickens me that people don't respect what they have done. They are the best sports team of the 90's and that's comeing from a Bull's fan too. People say that about the Yankees, but what the hell did they do befor 95? Nothing. The Braves rock and are one the greatest teams ever, and maybe in 20 years when all the great Braves are gone they will get the respect they deserve.

JetsAndHeels
04-02-2002, 03:32 PM
Quite-Long-Dong, I used to be a Braves fan, but I got sick and tired of people jumping on the bandwagon. I too liked them in the 80's when they were horrible. Dale Murphy was always my favorite, and then David Justice and Terry Pendleton after that. But seeing how everyone jumped on their bandwagon in the 90's and into the present kind of turned me off. Besides, Murphy is through and Justice is with another team.
I root for the Mets now.

good shot jansen
04-02-2002, 03:48 PM
grew up with the mets (ron swaboda was my favorite player as a kid:stupid: ) and had season tickets from 83 through to 89

the lockout of 90 turned me off a bit, but the strike of 94 completely did me in. i lost interest in the game completely, and just stopped following it.

some of my nephews got me into a fantasy league for this season, and now i find myself getting back into the game. as i now live in south florida, the marlins are my only venue for going to the games (and i'd better do that quick before they get contracted), i'm looking forward to going to quite a few games this year. as for the team who i seem to be rooting for this year, fer some reason i'm following minnesota the most, i actually think thay got a chance to be around come october! (serve selig right!)

here's to a great season!

JetsAndHeels
04-02-2002, 04:09 PM
Its interesting that you bring up the fact that some teams might be contracted. IMO the only teams that should be axed are the Marlins, Devil Rays, or the Expos.
The Minnesota Twins have history. I mean this team won the World Series in 91 for crying out loud. They have been around and are a part of the baseball legacy.
Sorry to all of you in Florida, but either the Marlins or the Devil Rays would have to go. Preferrably I would say the Devil Rays should go and the Marlins stay. They are just a better team if you ask me.
And there is NO excuse for the Montreal Expos. They absolutely stink, no they reak!! The bad news bears could beat those losers.
The team sucks, the attendance sucks, and I dont think the city would mind them being wiped off the map. Everyone up there likes hockey anyway.

QLD
04-02-2002, 07:58 PM
I am tired of people jumping on the Braves bandwagon too. Especially 30 something women. They are the ones who love Avery, or Chipper, or Wohlers because they are cute. I see them on the news all the time, and they don't know anything about the game, nor do they even attempt to. But they call themselves fans. They are only there because their husbands are, or because it's "trendy" to be a Braves fan when they do well.
Or there are the people who support whatever team just won the world series. It's rough, but I have been a fan for over 20 years, and don't intend on letting them ruin it for me. I am still hoping Murphy gets in the Hall of Fame, and I think one day he will. His character should get him in alone.

I have nothing against the Mets really, except that they are rivals of the Braves. I prefer them over the Yankees, but who doesn't, except Yankee fans. But, nothing will be as classic to me as the 91 Braves Dodgers rivalry. The free tomahawk night at Fulton County Stadium vs the Dodgers was magical, everyone in the stadium had a tomahawk, and the place was rocking from before until way after the game. It was funny that year, you could walk down the street and be best friends with anyone, because the whole city was enraptured by the Braves that year. People were driving down the road doing the tomahawk chop to each other, it was fantastic. It will never be that special again, but I'll always hope it will be,

2-1B
04-03-2002, 03:27 AM
Milwaukee Sewers all the way :rolleyes:

Jangy, I took Piazza in the first round of my fantasy draft, I hope he has a nice season! :D

GSJ - I've never been into baseball too much, but I'm doing fantasy ball for the first time as well. So far it looks pretty fun! Good luck to you, have fun :)

Wolfwood319
04-03-2002, 03:36 AM
Well, I'm predominantly a Sox fan, although my family is split down the middle between cubs/sox. And there is nothing like a cubs game at wrigley on a nice spring afternoon.

Icatch, aren't you tired of the same old "this is the Cubs/Sox year." I've heard that every year for the past decade. Although the Sox do look better at this time than they did last year, I don't think either will do better this year than the previous.

Mark Grace's first year not on the Cubs and he wins the World Series....:rolleyes: Although I'm glad the Yankees didn't win last year. Its like the Bulls towards the end of their run, it wasn't even exciting anymore.

Lord Malakite
04-03-2002, 04:08 AM
Cincinnati Reds fan all the way.

JetsAndHeels
04-03-2002, 08:56 AM
Caesar, I wish you luck with your fantasy baseball this season.
Hopefully Piazza can help you out alot!!
This is a little off the subject, but it still applies: has anyone seen the new McFarlane MLB series figures? I saw some of these last night, and they are quite impressive (nothing new from Todd).
They are in the same assortment as the NFL and NBA figures. There is a Piazza in the line, but I couldnt find one. Some others in that assortment are Randy Johnson of Arizona and Albert Pujols of St Louis.

icatch9
04-03-2002, 09:58 AM
Hey Wolfwood, I just think that is the way Chicago is. Itís always our year, until we start to loose then it the owners fault. Despite how good the Sox are supposed to be Iím not getting in line for playoff tickets yet. I will go and enjoy the game, but Iíd do that anyway. Iím going to the Brewers game this weekend. Just to see Randy Johnson pitch, not the Brew Crew (Sorry, Caesar).

I have only seen the McFarlane baseball players on the net, but I agree they look great. I have been collecting Starting Lineups since 88í, and I was sad to see them go. I am glad that there is something else to buy (i.e. McFarlaneís), but to me they will never be as great and wonderful as Starting Lineups. Even thought they look better and are as real as it gets, SLUís were just my thing and it was like taking away my favorite activity.

JetsAndHeels
04-03-2002, 10:14 AM
Here is a pic of the Piazza figure from McFarlane.

JetsAndHeels
04-03-2002, 10:18 AM
And here is Barry Bonds....

JetsAndHeels
04-03-2002, 10:19 AM
And last, but not least, Mr Chipper Jones....

2-1B
04-03-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
Iím going to the Brewers game this weekend. Just to see Randy Johnson pitch, not the Brew Crew (Sorry, Caesar).

Go Randy! I don't care for the Brewers at all, maybe they can be contracted instead of the Twins? :D

Jangy, I bought one of McFarlane's NFL players, they are pretty neat :)

JetsAndHeels
04-03-2002, 12:55 PM
Which one did you get Caesar? I have Wayne Chrebet and Chris Weinke.

2-1B
04-03-2002, 12:58 PM
I bought James Jackson because he is the only Cleveland player they made. At the time I bought him earlier this month, I hoped the figure would be obsolete due to rumors of a Ricky Williams trade, but thanks to the Dolphins that didn't happen :mad:

JetsAndHeels
04-03-2002, 01:10 PM
Well he would be a good one to keep Caesar because last season he was a rookie. And you know rookies are good to keep, just in case....

Bel-Cam Jos
04-03-2002, 02:26 PM
The Steel City, baby! Masters of the 3-bagger! Where the Iron City Beer flows! At the confluence! Pittsbu:Pirate:gh Pi:Pirate:ates fan, transplanted on the West Coast. Go... uh, um, Jason Kendall! And... hmm... uh, Brian Giles! Then, uh, go... Kevin Young. Hmm, do Major League teams need to have 25 players? :p

Hey. It's a great ball park. Arr. :Pirate:

QLD
04-03-2002, 02:50 PM
Do the pirates still have Willie Stargell? Hmmm...how about Andy Van Slyke? Bobby Bonilla? Barry Bonds? You don't say. What about Doug Jones? Dang. They are gone? Wow. Who DO they have? :) j/k I remember when they had Sid Bream. Of course, I remember even better when Sid Bream beat the Pirates in the miracle of '92. They're waving him home!!! Bream rounds around 3rd!!! He slides.....SAFE!!!!!!! SAFE!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!! BRAVES WIN!!!!!!! BRAVES WIN!!!!!!!!

Sorry, had a flashback. ALmost brought a tear to my eye.

Do the McFarlane baseball figures have MLB licenses now? The only reason I never bought Chipper was because of the stupid Jones on the front onf his jersey. If they aren't going to get the MLB license, why bother.

JetsAndHeels
04-03-2002, 03:24 PM
Yes, McFarlane does have the MLB license now. The jerseys have the team names and the players' names on the backs.
They now look like they are supposed to!!
Hey Long Dong, do the Pirates still have Stan Belinda? He must still be hurting from that one!! Just dont mention the name of Francisco Cabrera to him!! Ouch, thats gotta hurt.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-03-2002, 06:36 PM
I think the Pirates with the longest tenure are Jason Kendall (1996?), Brian Giles (1999?), Kevin Young (1995?), Aramis Ramirez (1998?), and Matt Osik (1998?). It's getting slim.

And do not, I repeat, DO NOT bring up Game 7 of the 1992 National League Championship series please! That is the WORST sports memory of my life. Arr!!! :Pirate: There's an obscure event associated with that: a drunk Braves fan hitting me in the head with a foam tomahawk while in a taxi cab. Grr! :mad:

Wolfwood319
04-03-2002, 06:46 PM
I really like McFarlanes MLB line. I like all the sports lines they do, but I don't collect most. I'm still looking for my Urlacher figure.:frus:

Funny, in the new MLB line from McFarlane, there are 2 cubs players in the first 2 series (Sosa and Wood) amongst other good players.:rolleyes:

2-1B
04-03-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
I'm still looking for my Urlacher figure.:frus:

In WI he's apparently a tough find as well. I know of several people looking for him. Good luck to you! :)

Originally posted by JangoFett96
Well he would be a good one to keep Caesar because last season he was a rookie. And you know rookies are good to keep, just in case....

Oh, most certainly! I just wanted Ricky as a starter, and obviously he would be the "star". Speaking of Ricky again, I see he's planned for upcoming release. The pic I saw used a Saints uniform, I'm sure that will be repainted to reflect the Fish.

QLD
04-03-2002, 07:45 PM
Bel Cam, as painful as that game must have ben for you, game 6 of the 91 World Series was just as painful. To watch ol' Charlie Liebrandt give up that homer to Kirby Puckett, well, that killed the Braves for game 7. They had it, but it slipped from their grasp.

I think the McFarlane line needs some more Braves. How about Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Sheffield, or Andruw Jones. I miss the old days of Starting Lineup where they made 5 people from every team. Of course they only did that in 88 and 89. A lot of people didn't buy the bums, especially losers like Albert Hall and other Braves. However, all of the bums that noone bought are now worth tons. Guys like Tony Casillas and Mark Eaton are worth a lot. However, I do have every Falcons, Hawks, and Braves SLU ever made.

Wolfwood319
04-03-2002, 08:00 PM
They've got a Maddox lined up for series 2, here you go:

JetsAndHeels
04-03-2002, 08:12 PM
I think Ichiro and Albert Pujols are going to be the 2 hardest ones to find. I have seen most of the others in Series 1, but none of those.
Barry Bonds will be the next hard to find one.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-07-2002, 08:24 PM
Tied for the 2nd-best record in THE MAJORS! Go Pitt! And all on the road, too, against two teams supposedly National League pennant contenders (Mets and Cubs)! Woo hoo! Arr! :Pirate: (Hey, with the records they've had recently, we Pirate backers need to overreact to this while we can)

2-1B
04-13-2002, 11:09 PM
About those Florida Marlins - I watched a bit of their game on Saturday in Fla vs. Atlanta, and that place looked empty .

About those McFarlane figs - at WM today I saw Sosa, Shawn Green, and Pujols.

:)

Bel-Cam Jos
04-14-2002, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
Woo hoo! Arr! :Pirate: (Hey, with the records they've had recently, we Pirate backers need to overreact to this while we can)
See? They just broke a 3-game losing streak today. Overreact mode again! :p

JetsAndHeels
04-15-2002, 08:24 AM
And how about my Mets yesterday? Robbie Alomar knocks out 2 homeruns to lead them to victory over Montreal. Now we begin a series with Atlanta at Shea. Lets go Mets!! Lets go Mets!!
By the way Caesar, I am REALLY digging the new avatar....
Leave that one on there for a while. :happy:

QLD
04-15-2002, 10:32 AM
The Expos ain't the Braves! Bring it on baby!!

Gooooo BRAVES!!!!!

JetsAndHeels
04-15-2002, 02:44 PM
I know the Expos suck, but a win is a win!!
May the best team win!!

JEDIpartner
04-15-2002, 04:08 PM
All I have to say at this point of the season is: GO TRIBE!!!!!

Wolfwood319
04-15-2002, 04:13 PM
I'm going to have to say "Go Tigers!" Detroit has had nothing but bad luck with sports teams lately. First the Lions, now this. :D

There looking to break the Cubs record 6 years back when they went 0-20-ish it seems!

2-1B
04-16-2002, 02:34 AM
Go Brewers!

No, really - go away. You're an embarrassing franchise, your owner commissioner is a loon. :crazed:

JetsAndHeels
04-16-2002, 08:13 AM
Hey Quite Long Dong,
Did you happen to see who won the Mets/Braves game last night? :crazed:
You thought Atlanta had it won didnt you??

QLD
04-16-2002, 01:27 PM
well, it isn't the first time, and it won't be the last time they blow a game. But tonight will be a different story!

:D

JetsAndHeels
04-17-2002, 08:22 AM
The Mets do it again!!
I am not rubbing this in your face Long Dong, but I have to support my team!!
Tonight will be another good game hopefully!!

QLD
04-17-2002, 01:47 PM
Ummm.....tonight will be another story? heh heh....ummm....go Braves....

JetsAndHeels
04-17-2002, 02:06 PM
Needless to say the first 2 games have been very competitive on both sides. A good series to say the least. When do the Mets and Braves play again this season?

Bel-Cam Jos
04-17-2002, 07:46 PM
It doesn't matter! It's ALL about the Pirates! :Pirate: Leading the Central! Whoo whoo! get on the train, it's leaving The Steel City for World Series-ville! :eek: :sur:

Until we're not doin' so well, I'm gonna take advantage of this time! :happy:

QLD
04-18-2002, 09:19 AM
Thank God the Braves pulled one out. Maddux is worrying me though.

As far as the Pirates, who knows, maybe they will keep it up. It would be neat to see.

JetsAndHeels
04-18-2002, 10:41 AM
Congrats on the win, Long Dong. It was a good series. Hopefully Maddux will be OK. I hate to see players get hurt like that, especially when they are such a vital member of the team like Maddux is. Just hope for the best!!

Bel-Cam Jos
04-18-2002, 11:13 AM
Now you can call them the Fighting Pirates! Check out that helmet-chucking base-brawl yesterday? C'mon, guys. Let's just all be friends. :) :) :) :D But a win's a win.

JetsAndHeels
04-18-2002, 12:57 PM
I saw that, Bel-Cam Jos. Its always good to see a base-brawl. Remember when Nolan Ryan beat the tar out of Robin Ventura a few years back? Thats a classic!!

QLD
05-03-2002, 03:19 AM
Man oh Man! The Braves aren't doing so hot! However, tho their credit they are fighting through injuries to Sheffield, Surhoff, Maddux, and now CHipper hand is bothering him.

*sigh*

How about those Expos!!??

I would find it amusing if they won the division the year before they were supposed to be contracted.

JetsAndHeels
05-03-2002, 10:03 AM
Hey Long Dong,
I like the avatar. You get the point across without being too profane.
How are the Mets doing? Have you heard? I have lost touch with it since Star Wars is so close.

QLD
05-03-2002, 11:02 AM
Mets are 2nd in the diviion right now behind the Expos. They are like 17-10 and have been on a 6 game winning streak.

Thanks, I like the avatar. I just took a picture straight from Spaceballs.

stillakid
05-03-2002, 11:04 AM
Just found this thread. Pirates are my team (even though they manage to blow it consistently).

The LA/Cincinnati game kept me up late last night. I think everybody was just happy that it ended.

JetsAndHeels
05-03-2002, 11:06 AM
Mets are behind the Expos?? Good heavens!!
Who would have thought the Expos would lead their division??
How long will it last??

Bel-Cam Jos
05-03-2002, 11:35 AM
We Pirates fans gotta stick together and have faith, stillakid! Arr! :Pirate: They're still in 2nd, only a couple behind the 'Nati Reds, and it's really early.
Imagine:
NL East Champion Expos
NL Central Champion Pirates
NL West Champion Who Cares :p

AL East Champion Who Cares
AL Central Champion Twins
AL West Champion Angels :eek:

It could happen! Maybe. Possibly. Uh, no. On second thought, no. :rolleyes:

JetsAndHeels
06-21-2002, 06:13 PM
I had to bring back this thread now that I have been paying more attention to baseball. When I started it in mid-April I was also real psyched about SW so I didnt pay as much attention to it.
I must say I was impressed with the Yankees/Mets series last weekend. Its obvious these teams have a good rivalry going.
Last night we (The Mets) won against the Twins 3-2.
Unfortunately we are now 4th in the NL East, sitting at one game under .500.
Looking forward to the All Star Game this year as well.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-21-2002, 07:02 PM
The Pirates :Pirate: not doing so well. Stuck in 3rd in the NL Central. Swept by Oakland at home? :cry: But I did get to see them win for once, when they were in Anaheim earlier. :happy:

QLD
06-21-2002, 07:10 PM
The Braves have at least been getting their act together lately.

wedgeA
06-21-2002, 07:46 PM
QLD,

I have been a Braves fan since the 80's. I live in Honolulu, and at the time, the only MLB games available here on a daily basis were the Braves on TBS. Sure seems like an eternity from Zane Smith being the anchor of the rotation.

I don't follow the game as much as I used to. MLB needs some serious changes, Selig is a joke, and there needs to be some type of parity in the league. I think that the NFL is a good example to follow, IMHO, I love the fact that in the past four seasons, there have been four different SB champs. It's one thing to win a championship with assembling talent with coaching, its another to sign a check (NY Yankees).

JetsAndHeels
06-21-2002, 09:29 PM
Braves are playing the White Sox tonight. Last I checked they were down 1-0. That was a little while ago though. They may be winning now.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-21-2002, 10:26 PM
So as a long suffering Red Sox fan, is this finally their year? Can they finally rise above the shadows of the Yanks and claim their first World Series title since 1918? (I know this is habitually said every year, but we really mean it this year)

It will be tough needless to say, the Yanks have been keeping pace with Boston throughout the whole year. The 2 best records in baseball are in the same division. Hopefully they won't have any late season collapses and will make it to the playoffs. If they face the Bronx Bombers, I think they will come out okay given their record vs. them this year, and the extra spark they get in their game when the two teams face off.

QLD
06-22-2002, 01:58 PM
WedgA, it has been an eternity. I have been a fan all my life. I am 27 now.

Any of these Braves stinkers ring a bell?

Jeff Parrot, Rick Camp, Claudell Washington, Bruce Benedict, Bruce Sutter, Andres Thomas, Pascual Perez, Albert Hall, Ozzie Virgil, Derek Lilloquist, heck, I could go on alllllllll day :)

My favorite Braves trade is Brett Butler for Lynn Barker. Ugh.

wedgeA
06-22-2002, 02:53 PM
QLD,

I remember Lillquist and Virgil, blasts from the past.

As for trades, the whole Dale Murphy ordeal was one of the most bittersweet. Although it allowed Justice to get playtime, I felt terrible for Murphy missing out on the team's success.

QLD
06-22-2002, 03:04 PM
Tell me about it. Murphy is still my favorite player ever. I met him several times at games, and he was an incredible person. I wish he could have been there, but his knees wouldn't even allow him to get the 2 home runs he needed for 400. I desperately hope he makes it in the HOF.

QLD
06-22-2002, 07:10 PM
Apparantly Daryl Kile was found dead at the Cardinals Team Hotel today. He died in his sleep and it appears to be natural causes. They were supposed to play the Cardinals, but they canceled the game, which was the right thing to do.

It is a shame, he was a classy guy and a good pitcher.

figrin bran
06-22-2002, 08:30 PM
I just heard about Kile myself. My condolensces to the Kile family and the Cardinals organization.

JetsAndHeels
06-22-2002, 11:05 PM
I am watching Sportscenter now. I am sad by this loss, but something isnt right about all this. Kyle was 33 years old, obviously in good shape, and was in good health. They say he died of natural causes. So does that mean he died in his sleep or what? Something here doesnt add up. The guy is in his hotel room and just dies? I am afraid there is more to this story than we know. Just a feeling of mine.

2-1B
06-23-2002, 12:58 AM
RIP Darryl Kile. :cry:

derek
06-23-2002, 01:34 AM
jango fett 96,

i just read that kyle's father died at age 44 of a blod clot in his brain.

i bet kyle had some unknown heart ailment, like the model krissy taylor who died a few years ago.:cry:

http://www.krissy.com/ie/_top.html

MikeAndTheBots
06-23-2002, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner

It will be tough needless to say, the Yanks have been keeping pace with Boston throughout the whole year. The 2 best records in baseball are in the same division. Hopefully they won't have any late season collapses and will make it to the playoffs. If they face the Bronx Bombers, I think they will come out okay given their record vs. them this year, and the extra spark they get in their game when the two teams face off.
Boston will choke after the all star break. They always fall apart.
Wonder if McFarlane will do a figure of Mike Mussina...

Has anyone heard anything new on Kile? Last i heard the police ruled suicide and fould-play out.

JetsAndHeels
06-23-2002, 04:52 PM
Very sad for the St Louis organization and baseball as a whole. My heart goes out to the team and his family.

2-1B
06-23-2002, 07:18 PM
ESPN is carrying the Cubs/Cards game in just over a half hour from now, Kile was supposed to start tonight.
I'll be sure to watch. :(

derek
06-23-2002, 10:20 PM
reports are out now saying kyle had 2 very clogged arteries in his heart and that is the likely cause of death. too bad he didn't get one of those heart scans.

JetsAndHeels
06-23-2002, 10:54 PM
Now that is unbelievable. I mean he was a professional athlete. That doesnt mean that he was a perfect human specimen, but he was a baseball player, so he had to be in good shape. I just feel so bad for his family and teammates. I hope they will all be comforted in the days and months ahead.

derek
06-23-2002, 11:01 PM
jango fett 96,

sometimes heart disease genetic. in kyle's case i think that his father having a heart attack at age 44 confirms this. it's not just fat people who have heart attacks.

he was obviously in shape, but that dosen't mean he ate a healthy diet, which could also of added to his heart disease.

and i just read on cnn.com that pot was also found in his hotel room. the medical examiner said that isn't the cause of death though. right now they are saying heart disease, but we'll have to wait about a month for the blood tests.

JetsAndHeels
06-23-2002, 11:06 PM
Sportscenter also just had an interview with one of ABC's medical reporters. Obviously the players all go through physicals (which include heart stress tests) prior to each season. The doctor on there said he was extrememely surprised that Kyle's stress test never showed any signs of heart problems. Also he noted that the team trainers and physicians knew of his fathers heart condition that killed him, yet never even considered the fact that it might affect him.

JetsAndHeels
06-23-2002, 11:44 PM
Well the Mets pulled out a win today against the Royals, 5 to 4. Now we head down to Atlanta for a series with the Bravos. Should be a good one.

MikeAndTheBots
06-24-2002, 01:20 AM
Nice, the Yanks are a 1/2 game over the Sox. All is good in the AL east.

figrin bran
06-24-2002, 01:34 AM
i know there's a lot of Dodger haters here but how about that Eric Gagne!

QLD
06-24-2002, 09:46 AM
I am looking forward to this weekends series with the Mets. However, I am not looking forward to the strike that is going to happen after the All-Star break or at the beginning off next year.

JetsAndHeels
06-24-2002, 03:35 PM
Hey QLD, it isnt a weekend series with the Mets. It starts tonight!! I am looking forward to it too.
Gametime tonight 7pm.

QLD
06-24-2002, 04:19 PM
Sorry, I seem to be having all sorts of brainwve problems lately! I will try to watch it tonight.

JetsAndHeels
06-24-2002, 04:35 PM
No problem. I think this will be a good series. It was last time they played each other.

JetsAndHeels
06-25-2002, 03:17 PM
Congrats to QLD for the Braves' victory last night. It was a good game, but in the end Atlanta pulled it out. Keith Lockhart goes up to pinch hit in the top of the 9th and knocks one out. Braves win 3-2 over the Mets. :(
Looking forward to game 2.

QLD
06-25-2002, 06:33 PM
Yeah, good game. The Braves always do well against the Mets. Thankfully! :D

JetsAndHeels
06-25-2002, 08:45 PM
Youre breaking my heart!!

JetsAndHeels
06-25-2002, 11:15 PM
Hooray!! Mets beat the Braves 7-4 (sorry, QLD). Did anyone else see that quarrel between Jeff Kent and Barry Bonds? Looks like there is some fighting between teammates in San Francisco.

2-1B
06-26-2002, 02:01 AM
Chipper Jones had to sit out with back spasms. Ouch. :(

Odalis Perez had a nice 1 hit shutout, that helps my fantasy team! :happy:

Bonds is a goon, shrug it off and go back to your luxury box the lockeroom. :rolleyes:
:D

figrin bran
06-26-2002, 02:17 AM
ooooh fantasy baseball, eh? i don't actually play but i do play for football and basketball and i found that i begin to cheer less for actual teams and more for the players on my team ;)

MikeAndTheBots
06-26-2002, 02:29 AM
oh damn, Os beat the Yanks. Anyone know if Boston lost?

stormie
06-26-2002, 12:11 PM
The Giants are all just a little frustrated due to some recent losses---nothing more to it than that. I don't know why the media (and especially those AL/NL-East loving dolts at ESPN) need to make such a big deal over it. Then again, the media loves to paint Bonds as the malcontent he isn't.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-26-2002, 12:14 PM
Pirates win! Whoo hoo! Arr! :Pirate: When your division leader's only about 3-4 games over .500, you're never out of it!

QLD
06-29-2002, 01:10 PM
So what do you guys think about the All-Star teams this year?

Just curious.

Also, when do you think they are going to strike? (In my mind it is a question of when, not if).

MikeAndTheBots
06-29-2002, 01:32 PM
Jangofett96: 5-11 :p

QLD: I say they'll strike in august.

JetsAndHeels
06-29-2002, 02:11 PM
Mike,
Yeah I saw that. Posada had 2 HR's. Great game for the Yanks.
Well on the bright side, Mo Vaughn hit a HR for us.
We are sitting right on .500 right now, so it could be worse.

MikeAndTheBots
06-29-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by JangoFett96
Mike,
Yeah I saw that. Posada had 2 HR's. Great game for the Yanks.
Well on the bright side, Mo Vaughn hit a HR for us.
We are sitting right on .500 right now, so it could be worse.
Yeah, too bad your guys happen to be winning right now....

JetsAndHeels
06-30-2002, 12:51 AM
Wow, Mets win 11-2 today. A little weird though, because it is almost the same score the Yanks beat us by on Friday.
Good thing we got a win in Yankee stadium.

rynobot
06-30-2002, 01:16 AM
I've been a fan of the White Sox for aslong as I've liked baseball and that was when I was 8. But if baseball goes on strike again I will never watch another game ever, and I'll burn my baseball caps just for thrill.

figrin bran
06-30-2002, 01:50 AM
all star teams someone said? i am stuffing the ballot boxes for Eric Gagne and Shawn Green as we speak ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
06-30-2002, 11:31 AM
Pirates losing to the Tigers 2-1? Ugh! :frus: But the team's ERA is dropping...

JetsAndHeels
06-30-2002, 05:36 PM
Speaking of All Stars, I would think Luis Castillo of Florida would be on the NL roster. He had a pretty long hitting streak going there for a while.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-01-2002, 11:40 AM
If you think someone got jipped for the All-Star squad, go to Major League Baseball (http://www.mlb.com) and you get to vote in the 30th man on each league's team! Go Brian Giles! Pirates on a 1 game win streak going into the break! Arr! :Pirate:

figrin bran
07-01-2002, 08:35 PM
Raul Mondesi goes to the Yankees...any thoughts?

i know he's not having a great season but now he will. grrr...it always hurts to see ex dodgers doing well...Pedro Martinez...

2-1B
07-10-2002, 01:04 AM
:rolleyes:
Why doesn't MLB just have a 9 inning limit in place for the All-Star game? ? ? I understand they don't want to reuse pitchers, and they CERTAINLY shouldn't overuse their last pitchers . . . so why not have a 9 inning limit? Going in, the managers can have their pitching staff set for the game, and they could save such embarrassment as on field clamoring with the commish.
And now I have to watch Bud Selig in all his blathering idiotic glory trying to appease the fans.

Oh well, it's all Torri Hunter's fault - had he not stolen that HR from Bonds, the game might have ended differently! :p

figrin bran
07-10-2002, 02:21 AM
the only time i cheer for Bonds and the NL doesn't even win? :(

2-1B
07-10-2002, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by figrin bran
the only time i cheer for Bonds and the NL doesn't even win? :(

It's alright, at least they didn't lose ! :D :D :D

stormie
07-10-2002, 12:18 PM
The AL could have used Zito more; he only threw like two pitches. I'm sure there were more players they could have reused. It's not like it's a real game anyway, and it looked like a lot of the pitchers weren't using their best stuff anyway. Just finish the game. A tie and no MVP makes it just another farce in the eyes of the fans.
...or at least to me.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-10-2002, 12:36 PM
If Brian Giles had made it instead of Andruw Jones, it'd been over much sooner. :p Why wasn't there an MVP? They rename it in honor of Ted Williams, then forget about it? Hmm... :confused:

icatch9
07-10-2002, 01:18 PM
There wasn't an MVP becasue no one won. I think MVP is defined as the player most valuable to the winning team. Or the player on the winning team that was vital to the victory of said team. Since no one won, then no one was really valuable.

Torrie Hunter Did rob a homer, but Sammy shouldn't have tried for third. He got shot by Ramirez. Your never supposed to make the first or third out at third base, your already in scoreing position. I think the batter got a hit, and that would have scored Sammy. I like Sammy, but that was a dumb play.

I think this game was mismanged to no end. I have no respect for either of the managers in this game. They didn't even need to be there. A fan from the crowd could have done as good of a job as Torre and Bremly did. They were worried about useing up a pitcher and sending him back to his team that couldn't use him for a few days. That's two pitchers on two teams. Now becasue of this tie the whole league and all the teams have some damage control to do. A great way to loose fans in an already "ify" time in MLB.

BOOOO! To the the powers that be at the 2002 all star game. Boooo!

QLD
07-10-2002, 02:19 PM
I second that.....

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

2-1B
07-10-2002, 05:20 PM
No one lost either, so they should have named an MVP, if not co-MVPS ! ! !
Bel-Cam noted the naming of the award after Teddy Baseball, and then they don't even present it? Lame, All-Star festivities are meant to be a showcase, how do they eliminate one part of it just because of a tie ? ? ?

I don't mind the tie, just the way it was announced/decided.
I should be the commish, I could solve this problem so easily! :p

The local media is very active today, alot of people have launched criticisms of Milwaukee, so some folks are taking it personally. :p

Bel-Cam Jos
07-10-2002, 06:49 PM
On the radio, I just heard some stadium (Miller Park?) is giving away "Bud Selig Ties" as a promotion soon!

But there have been MVPs given to losing team players (i.e. Chuck Howley in Super Bowl V?, Ron Hextall in the 1986? Stanley Cup playoffs, Bill Bradley in the 1967? NCAA Final Four). So it doesn't need to be from the winner.

p.s. The Pirates are goin' on a long win streak! Arr! :Pirate:

JetsAndHeels
07-10-2002, 06:55 PM
I only watched a few innings of the game. I am glad the Mets were represented by Piazza. Wasn't he the only Met on the NL roster?
Anyway, I don't think the game should have ended in a tie. Just let them play. In the All-Star game, there are several different players from different teams for each position. I am sure alot of them would go back out and play. It is more for fun than anything.

2-1B
07-10-2002, 06:56 PM
Jangy96 is online now, he'll know what to do! :D

Hehehehehe, Bud looked rather dapper in his polka dot tie! :D
He said today that if Santiago would have gotten a hit to get Bud off the hook, he would have personally carried Benito around on his shoulders. :)

JetsAndHeels
07-10-2002, 07:07 PM
Mets still rule!!

QLD
07-10-2002, 07:50 PM
Baseball is in a world of hurt right now.....

JetsAndHeels
07-10-2002, 07:58 PM
Yes, I agree QLD. Looks like we are going to see a strike soon.
Hopefully we can get this season over with first....
I imagine another strike will hurt the sport more than ever.

2-1B
07-11-2002, 01:17 AM
Really? You think they'll strike soon?

It's frustrating . . . I never cared during the last stoppages, but this season I am following MLB for the first time ever and I am having so much fun. :(

But I still need a favorite team! :D
Certainly not the Brewers, I hate the Braves, I root for the Yanks because I have many on my fantasy team . . . I do kinda like the BoSox. Actually, I like them alot. If I were a MLB player, I would copy Manny Ramirez in the way he wears his pants over his shoes. I love that! :)

Hmmmm, I have Kim from the D-backs, so I'm always rooting for saves from him (and hoping that Mantei doesn't take over as closer :( ). But I don't care about the team as a whole .

Jangy96 mentioned the Mets - yeah, I like them alot! Mo Vaughn? Nice to see him hitting a few dings again! How about that one he pounded off the Budweiser sign recently? :D

Regionally, I like the Twins. :) Embarrassing, the thought of contracting them. :mad: Tigers? Not interested . . . don't care either way about the Royals or Cardinals . . . ChiSox and Cubs, don't care about them too much either.

Oh well, thanks for letting me ramble! :happy:

figrin bran
07-11-2002, 02:24 AM
ha ha! rooting solely for the players on your fantasy team? i've done that from time to time. okay, maybe a lot. though i don't play baseball, i play football and basketball and even won both leagues with the same group of friends.

i have a bad feeling about this strike...

2-1B
07-11-2002, 03:03 AM
Ouch! From the Assoiciated Press -

Selig: Team Might Not Make Payroll
Wed Jul 10,10:10 PM ET

NEW YORK (AP) - As baseball prepared to resume labor negotiations following an All-Star break dominated by talk of strike, steroids and stalemate, commissioner Bud Selig claimed a team may not be able to make payroll Monday.

Selig made the comment during an interview Wednesday in Milwaukee with the Houston Chronicle and other papers, saying during the session that a second team had so much debt that it might not finish the season.

Selig did not identify the teams he was referring to, and there was no way to corroborate his claims. Reached at his home Wednesday night, Selig refused to discuss the subject.

"I'm done. Major league baseball's credit lines are at the maximum," Selig was quoted as saying in Thursday's editions of the Chronicle. "We've done everything we can to help people by arranging credit lines. Frankly, at this point in time, we don't have that luxury anymore.

"If a club can't make it, I have to let 'em go. I'm a traditionalist, and I hate all that. It pains me to do it. I just don't have any more alternatives."

The talks are to resume Thursday.

Players and owners have not held a full negotiating session since June 27, and are far apart on all the key issues: increase revenue sharing among teams, the owners' proposal for a luxury tax to slow payroll growth, random testing for steroids and other drugs, extending the amateur draft world wide, and management's attempt to change salary arbitration rules and eligibility.

On Monday, the union's executive board met in a Chicago suburb. While the board did not set a strike date then, it asked players on individual teams to give it authority to set one. If there is no progress in negotiations, the executive board is expected to call for baseball's ninth work stoppage, setting a walkout date for August or September.

Players and owners also await the upcoming ruling from arbitrator Shyam Das, who heard the grievance filed by the union, which claims management's attempt to fold the Minnesota Twins and Montreal Expos violated the previous labor contract, which expired Nov. 7.

Das has told the sides he will attempt to have a decision by Monday. Contraction was put off by Selig until after the 2002 season following a string of legal losses by baseball in the Minnesota courts, which ruled the Twins had to honor their 2002 lease in the Metrodome.

Dissen berry berry bad - me no watchen! :cry:

QLD
07-11-2002, 06:57 AM
It does not look very good at all. I just hope that if they strike, they use replacement players!

And I never knew so many people hated the Braves. Well, if I was a Mets, or Dodgers, or Indians fan, I might too.

Jacen Solo
07-18-2002, 05:11 PM
Go Yankees woohoo!

2-1B
07-19-2002, 03:18 AM
Sorry for not posting here for awhile, I've been playing catch with Torri Hunter and things got a little heated. :p

good shot jansen
07-19-2002, 10:40 AM
growing up in nyc and being the product of a national league home (dad was a huge dodger fan, and thus the yankees were a forbidden word to never be uttered), and of course after the giants and dodgers left, the muts became the team of cherce in the jansen household. gawd i loved them, even when they were laughably horrible til 69, they were lovable! after 92 though, when they're plan to buy themselves a pennant failed (funny how history repeats itself with the current met payrol......er i mean line up), i began to sour on the team, and of course 94 did nothing to make me wnat to follow the sport.

after moving to south florida, i began to casually follow the marlins, and of course was very excited and involved with the 97 season. the subsequent fire sale, and then the horrible way in which wayne sold the team, really put me off my new found home team. sigh

being that the braves were until realignment, in the nl west, and thus were never in direct competition with the mets, i never disliked them. i will say that i am impressed with them, more than anyother team with regardfs to putting out a consistant product with the same names, year after year. the braves rise to the top of the heap has been attributed to their pitching staff, and after all these years, the same guys are still there, glavine, maddux, and smoltz, along with the perrenial hot bat of chipper jones. this team has shown more commitment to the fans then any other franchise, and because of this commitment, i'm very happy that tbs always has a braves game on. they may not be my home team, but in these sorry days of baseball, it is refreshing and comforting to know, that you can always catch a quality game on tv with players who are identified, with, and who have stayed with the same club.

QLD
07-19-2002, 10:57 AM
Very well put Jansen! That, along with being from Atlanta, and watching them suffer for years of being horrible, make me a Braves fan as well.

Though I suspect they will be sold soon, because of the issues AOL TimeWarner are having.

stormie
07-19-2002, 03:44 PM
I never minded the Braves until '93. Why '93, well that year was probably the best hope for the Giants to win it all. They won like 101 games during the regular season, but the dang Braves (in the same division, and before the wildcard) won 103! It may have made me a little less bitter if the Braves had actually went on to win the World Series, but like many times during the '90s and now this decade, they folded in the playoffs. Sorry, just can't forgive them that year. ;)

2-1B
07-20-2002, 12:30 AM
Chipper Jones' bat hasn't been all that hot this year. ;)

GSJ, are you familiar with the new voice of the Marlins, Len Kasper? If not, I suggest you give him a try, he left his job at a station in Milwaukee to call the Florida games. Even though I don't like the Packers, it was always a joy to listen to his football coverage (he didn't call the games.) Great radio voice, great personality, if the Brewers didn't have Bob Uecker, Kasper would be perfect !

Also, this is a personal plug since he played on a CD that I own, and when I emailed him to commend him he was pretty cool and I have a lot of respect for him.

But yeah, Wayne is a goon. :D