PDA

View Full Version : Arghhh, the Clone trooper is retarded looking!

Darth Ovori
04-02-2002, 11:59 AM
What is this... ??? What has Hasbro done it...

The head is too long, it's arms are too skinny from the side... His hips are too far apart... I hate it, why did I get it... ???

Sorry but I had too get my angry out at Hasbro's poor figure...

Jayspawn
04-02-2002, 12:08 PM
Are you refering to the Sneak Peak Clonetrooper? I kinda like him. I think the proportions are pretty good. Good figure, great for scene building.

JEDIpartner
04-02-2002, 12:20 PM
I think they'd look stupid all in the same squat pose.

Hey D.O.- don't say we didn't warn you! The proportions aren't bad... IMO- it's just the overall figure itself that looks "retarded" :stupid:

CrossWizard
04-02-2002, 12:23 PM
Yeah he looks retarded alright, especially when you pose him exactly like he is on the back of the card, looking at the side. Like "Look ma' Ive got a big freaking gun!!" :stupid:

Darth Ovori
04-02-2002, 01:08 PM
Sneak preview... And that head is way out of proportion... And the chest, it's small, Jango is butch... Thier skinny... It sucks, and that pose... How's one supposed to build an army out of carrott walking cadets!!!

IcebergSlim
04-02-2002, 02:08 PM
The trooper is the 2nd best Sneak figure IMO

Battle Droid
04-02-2002, 04:04 PM
I love the preview Clone Trooper, that's why I hid 3 of them yesterday for later.

Also can't wait for the Red Clone Trooper.

JediTricks
04-03-2002, 03:52 AM
IMO, this is the worst preview figure of the bunch by a LARGE margin. Nearly everything about it rubs me the wrong way, the paint, the lack of waist articulation, the poor sculpt on the armor, the giant blue ice crystal/blast effect that causes the rifle to sag, the skinny torso, and I totally hate the design of the character to begin with (though I promise you, that didn't enter into my opinion of the figure itself).

A while back, someone described the helmet most accurately, "sad puppy dog", I think this is what affects the look the most.

Wolfwood319
04-03-2002, 03:59 AM
I love him! I've got a few of them in a "Go Joe" type action scene, where there all standing back to back firing. The lack of waist articulation is my only complaint, but its not that big of an issue for me. I think its a good sculpt too. From the pictures I've seen, he looks exactly like a clonetrooper.

Only one of mine's blast effect is drooping, and it isn't drooping a lot, doesn't even bend the gun. If the blast effect is causing the rifle to bend and you don't like it anyway, why don't you take it off?

My least favorite is Zam. Now that rifle bends with or without the blast effect. That things worse than Amanaman's staff.:rolleyes:

JEDIpartner
04-03-2002, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
A while back, someone described the helmet most accurately, "sad puppy dog", I think this is what affects the look the most.

That someone would have been me... :D

I STILL think it looks like a sad puppy dog! :( -woof.

Darth Ovori
04-03-2002, 10:33 AM
And the design is just stupid to start with... Never mind sad puppy, his head looks like a kitchen sink...

Why try to mix Fett design with Stromtrooper and add that stupid Falsh gordon fin on top!!!

I was hoping that maybe in hand I would learn to like it... but dammit that stupid fin!!!

Why did'nt they just take the fett helmet, took off the telescope and painted it white, then the trooper would have been awesome... But getting hasbro to get a great figure and make it look great would be a whole another story... :(

Casual George
04-03-2002, 10:57 AM
I think the preview Clone Trooper looks fine. It's an action pose and from the looks of the film there will be more opportunities for recreating scenes with this guy. On the flip side we all know that Hasbro will release at least 2 or 3 different sculpts of these guys and one of them is bound to be a neutral pose. Ideally I'd like a Clone Trooper equivalent of the Comm Tech Stormie.

187-Maul
04-03-2002, 01:48 PM
I hope that's true casual george that they'll put out a couple more
but look at the E1 line: we got that retarded standing BD at the beginning, another retarded Oom-9, a couple vehicle pack-ins etc. and FINALLY in the POTJ line a BD that can actually hold his gun in TWO hands - it was a loooong way till there
but anyway I like the preview Clonetrooper

ps: when the stormtrooper is "stormie" than the clonetrooper should be "clonie" ain't that right:rolleyes:

JEDIpartner
04-03-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Darth Ovori
Why try to mix Fett design with Stromtrooper and add that stupid Falsh gordon fin on top!!!

I think they were also incorporating the Coruscant Guard into it as well. I think the twin feather plumes were replaced with the single "fin". The "T" in the face design also is present in the Coruscant Guard.

pthfnder89
04-03-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr

I think they were also incorporating the Coruscant Guard into it as well. I think the twin feather plumes were replaced with the single "fin". The "T" in the face design also is present in the Coruscant Guard.

Yeah, the "T" is sort of a recurring theme in several Star Wars costumes, not just Fetts. It just didn't work to well in the Clone Trooper design:(

Beast
04-03-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
The armor is partially Kaminoian in design, I believe. It's their version of Jango's armor, incorperating their artistic style into the armor design. The fin I believe the info on the suit says, contains a transmission antenna so that the clones can keep in contact during the fight.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
04-03-2002, 02:16 PM
Worry not, we're getting the Red Clone Trooper on the 23rd. The head isn't getting fixed though because it doesn't need fixing, looks like the Clone Troopers from the film.

187-Maul
04-03-2002, 02:30 PM
I know about the red trooper but I haven't heard anything confirming a new "normal" white trooper - but probably will be released still since (I guess) the preview version is very succesfull with most people
but if they don't make a new articulated one...:frus: :crazed: :cry: :dead:

jedihunter25
04-03-2002, 03:31 PM
When I first saw the Clone Troopers a couple of months ago, I didn't like them (looks like Boba Fett go it on with a Stormtrooper and this is the end result). But now I think they are pretty cool!!!:cool:

mark2d2
04-03-2002, 06:07 PM
The overall design of this just doesn't work for me. It's too much of a cheesy hybrid. Can't you just see them in the boardroom at Lucasfilm? "Fans Love Bobafett! Fans Love Stormtroopers! Let's just combine the two!" "Wowee!" "Neato!" "Wizard Cool!" "Way to go, Rick! This'll be bigger than JarJar!" . . . Ugh. Talk about stupid. If not down right insulting . . . Frankly, I'd much rather have had something totally new. Or, seriously, why not just use the stormtrooper? Sorry. I just don't get it.

2-1B
04-03-2002, 06:34 PM
I don't care much for the costume design, and the preview figure just didn't interest me. The pose looked silly, and I still feel that way. I intentionally left him out of my pursuit for the other 3 sneek peaks :)

Darth Ovori
04-03-2002, 07:04 PM
Kettle, that's what it looks like!!!
Anyone for some Imperial coffee... ???

JediTricks
04-04-2002, 01:47 AM
I think its a good sculpt too. From the pictures I've seen, he looks exactly like a clonetrooper. Take a look at the picture on the bubble insert of the figure - specifically the torso from the belt to the middle of the chest - then compare this to the figure. I think this figure is the AOTC equivelent of the 1995 POTF2 Stormtrooper figure.

Wolfwood319
04-04-2002, 01:54 AM
With the exception of the lack of color on the stomach area, the figure looks fine to me. And I have a few of mine holding there guns down, with there heads turned straight, and it looks like its just standing there holding a gun with 2 hands, except his legs are still bent, but it doesn't bother me.

jedi master sal
04-04-2002, 12:24 PM
Well I guess I shouldn't have bought 19 of these guys, huh?

I happen to like the design. The hybrid Mandolorien armor and stormtrooper armor makes sense in the grand scale of things. My only complaint is that it is a little reminiscent of a Cylon from Battlestar Galactica. But still the fig is cool. Don't forget these are toys people. They don't have to be 100% spot on exact. Remember the figs from the 70's. Everybody bought them and liked them. The toy industry has come a long way in development and sculpting since then.

We'll probably get a new sculpt anyway, knowing hasbro. Hopefull it is an at attention pose so we can have great dioramas. but in the mean time I'm having a lot of fun customizing some of these little buggers. I am making some of them have straightened legs and arms.

Amanamike
04-04-2002, 12:52 PM
I prety much like the look of the figure except for 2 issues.

1. The figures are tiny compared to all our other figures we
have. Put your comtech stormtrooper next to your clone
trooper and look how small he is. All the preview figures
are small.

2. The leg pose isnt great if your trying to make a diorama
of an army of clone troopers. They shoulda jointed the
legs so he could stand up straight.

These are my beefs but other tan that Im pretty happy with the detail of the figures. I could go without the blast effects, but you can take those off.

evenflow
04-04-2002, 12:58 PM
I think it looks stupid. From what i can tell the regular release version looks alot better. I just don't like the look of the Clone Trooper helmets.

LTBasker
04-04-2002, 01:39 PM
True it's not the best that it could be, and I was expecting something a little more...thick, but it's an ok figure overall. They do look better when you have multiple ones together though, like one I've blasting at a Boomer Damaged Battle Droid (the boomer damage doesn't look too bad with the Clone Trooper's odd blast effect pointed at it) and then another providing cover for him. :cool:

I wouldn't mind though if they made a Clone Trooper that had more articulation (or just better articulation) than the CTC Stormtrooper, and more detail too.

Darth Ovori
04-04-2002, 02:30 PM
I do not agree jedi master sal, in the 1970's there was no such things as 3-d computer design, real scans and all the various plastics used for detail... You cannot compare todays toys with yesteryear and say just be happy with the raod we've made thus far...

When you see that there are other toy companies with smaller budget than Hasbro and produce closer likeness, you have to wonder if Hasbro is taking advantage of the StarWars tag to sell... ??? If thats the case than it's unfair to be offering the fans that are sponsering thier salaries half effort figures...

And finally, they can add mega articualtion on the Contech Stormtrooper, 3 years later they make it vanish on the new figures... ??? ... What gives... ???

On the helmet, I still think it sucks!!! its stupid, non functional and that frakin 50's fin drives me mad... :cry:

bigbarada
04-04-2002, 03:54 PM
The fin is my favorite part of the helmet design. It was actually a major part of medievil helmet design and was intended to afford that extra measure of protection against a sword blow to the top of the head. Of course, it has little use against blasters and lightsabers. All in all, though, I think it is keeping with the overall design philosophy of the prequels.

Obviously, GL's old age has made him even more nostalgic about those old Flash Gordon serials. That's why the 'cheesy' fifties design elements keep popping up.

As for the actual figure, I like it. With a little creativity, you can come up with different looking poses for a few of these guys; but I wouldn't recommend buying quantities in the double digits. Unless that's your cup of tea. Lack of waist articulation is my only complaint.

I've already become bored with the Jango and Zam figures. I didn't even bother to buy the R3 figure (I'll wait for it at the clearance aisle). However, I have two of the clonetroopers and I think they are swell!

LTBasker
04-04-2002, 04:52 PM
Ya know if you picture the Clone Trooper's helmet on Jango, he kinda resembles the guy in The Rocketeer.

chewie
04-05-2002, 02:20 PM
The clonetrooper helmet just seems like some crappy morphing software took the Fett and stormtrooper helmets and blended them together. Not a subtle influence at all, which I would have preferred.

The worst parts about the helmet are the way the mouth grill connects to the middle visor line, and the scrunched in cheeks.

JEDIpartner
04-05-2002, 03:23 PM
"It's all about the cheekbones, sweetie darling! Cheekbones! Sweetie, sweetie, sweetie...! Look! Mummy's a model!! Isn't my hat high fashion...? It's LaCroix, sweetie!"